Broccoli Almond Soup is one of our favourite healthy soups to enjoy during the cold Fall and Winter months.
Our homemade creamy and cheesy Cheddar Broccoli Almond Soup recipe is quick and easy to make, ready to serve in under 1 hour!
Spoon through a bowl of our Broccoli Almond Soup recipe featuring flavourful garlic, onion, lemon, nutmeg, almonds and Worcestershire sauce.
Save This Story To Pinterest!
What Is Soup?
Soup is a liquid food, generally served warm or hot (but can also be served cold like gazpacho), that is prepared by combining meat or vegetables with stock or water.
Hot soups are additionally characterized by boiling solid ingredients in liquids in a pot until the flavours are extracted, creating a rich broth.
Soups are similar to stews, and in some cases there may not be a clear distinction between the two. Soups generally have more liquid (broth) than chunkier and heartier stews.
In traditional French cuisine, soups are classified into two groups: clear soups (bouillon and consomme) and thick soups (purees, bisques, veloutes).
Purées are vegetable soups thickened with starch; bisques are made from puréed shellfish or vegetables thickened with cream; cream soups may be thickened with béchamel sauce; and veloutés are thickened with eggs, butter, and cream.
History of Soup
Evidence of the existence of soup can be found as far back as about 20,000 BC. Boiling was not a common cooking technique until the invention of waterproof containers, such as clay pots. To boil the water hot rocks were used.
The word soup comes from French soupe (broth), which comes through Vulgar Latin suppa (“bread soaked in broth”) from a Germanic source, from which also comes the word “sop”, a piece of bread used to soak up soup or a thick stew.
The word restaurant (meaning “restoring”) was first used in France in the 16th century, to refer to a highly concentrated, inexpensive soup, sold by street vendors, that was advertised as a cure to physical exhaustion. In 1765, a Parisian entrepreneur opened a shop specializing in such soups. This prompted the use of the modern word restaurant for eating establishments.
In America, the first colonial cookbook was published by William Parks in Williamsburg, Virginia, in 1742, based on Eliza Smith’s The Compleat Housewife; or Accomplished Gentlewoman’s Companion, and it included several recipes for soups and bisques.
English cooking dominated early colonial cooking; but as new immigrants arrived from other countries, other national soups gained popularity. In particular, German immigrants living in Pennsylvania were famous for their potato soups. In 1794, Jean Baptiste Gilbert Payplat dis Julien, a refugee from the French Revolution, opened an eating establishment in Massachusetts called The Restorator, and became known as the “Prince of Soups”.
Where To Eat Broccoli Almond Soup
If you live in a large city in North America you’ll likely have access to plenty of soup-specific restaurants. We also love to visit local, family-run diners and cafes that offer menus specializing in “soups, sandwiches and salads.”
In Toronto, popular restaurants that serve soup include RaviSoups, Soup Nutsy, United Bakers Dairy, Cafe Polonez, Saffron Spice Kitchen, Santouka Ramen, Sansotei Ramen, Kenzo Ramen, Kinton Ramen, Ajisen Ramen, Maison Selby, Pho Vistro, Pho Hung, The Golden Turtle, Maha’s, Pai, Sabai Sabai, Khao San Road, One Love Vegetarian and Fabarnak.
If you’re looking to sample healthy soups try slurping through the menus at these vegetarian restaurants like Fresh Restaurant, Rosalinda, The Hogtown Vegan, Doomie’s and Planta.
My Family Loves Broccoli Almond Soup
My family has a tradition of eating soup and salad for lunch on Sunday’s after getting home from church. Soup is such an simple and brainless meal to serve a busy family with kids.
My dad would often make cream of tomato soup and serve a bowl with grilled cheese sandwiches and pickles. Our family also loved slurping through bowls of Butternut Squash Soup and Chicken Noodle Soup.
Some of the fondest memories of my childhood spent in Toronto, Markham, Oakville and Muskoka are cozying up to a bowl of homemade soup with gourmet crackers, artisanal cheese and sourdough bread.
During October in Ontario we’d often visit popular Fall Fairs in Norfolk County, Niagara and Prince Edward County to go on fun rides, run through corn mazes and purchase fresh local fruits and vegetables at the peak of harvest season.
Onions, garlic, broccoli, almonds, celery and potatoes are available in abundance year round in Canada but we especially love to serve this savoury soup in the Fall at Thanksgiving.
During the colder months of the year my family love to bake homemade creamy broccoli and cauliflower casserole. My sister and dad have a particular penchant for dishes featuring broccoli and cauliflower.
This broccoli soup was an instant hit thanks to its healthy and flavourful vegetarian ingredients.
Is Broccoli Almond Soup Vegetarian or Vegan?
Our Broccoli Almond Soup is vegetarian friendly.
We use vegetable stock for the broth, olive oil to cook the vegetables and milk to add a rich and creamy texture.
If you’re looking to make a Vegan Broccoli Almond Soup we suggest substituting the milk with almond milk or coconut milk.
Vegetarians may even want to garnish the soup with aged cheeses like Parmesan, Applewood Smoked Cheddar, Grizzly Gouda, Stevenson’s Red Leicester Cheese, Rocinante Iberico, Vache Maigre, Gruyere, Piave Stravecchio, Avonlea Clothbound Cheddar, Ossau-Iraty Brebis, Mimolette, Manchego or Beemster XO.
Broccoli Soup Health Benefits
Our Broccoli Almond Soup recipe is packed full of healthy ingredients!
It is only recently that scientists have begun to identify the components responsible for garlic’s myriad health benefits. Rich in phytochemicals and potassium, garlic helps boost your immune system, fight cancer and protect your heart.
Onions are a humble vegetable packed with vitamins, minerals and phytochemicals. Regular consumption of leeks can help boost digestive health and reduce the risk of developing heart disease.
An excellent source of bone-strengthening vitamin K and immune-boosting vitamin C, broccoli is also rich in a group of phytochemicals that may help protect against several types of cancer.
Containing more protein, fibre, vitamin E and calcium that other nuts, almonds may reduce the risk of heart disease, keep your bones healthy, and help your body absorb essential nutrients.
Celery is a great source of antioxidants, reduces inflammation and supports digestions.
A rich source of phytochemicals and vitamin C, lemons help boost your immune system and neutralize free radicals that cause disease and skin aging. Lemons also protect against heart disease and help improve blood flow to the brain.
Nutmeg is said to relieve pain, soothe indigestion, strengthen cognitive function, detoxify the body, boost skin health, reduce insomnia, increase immune system function and improve blood circulation.
Broccoli Almond Soup Tips
This healthy vegetarian soup recipe is quick and easy to make at home. We’ve included a few tips for first time soup makers!
- Use a large cast iron dutch oven with a high rim to reduce splatter when cooking.
- In our recipe below we suggest using an immersion blender to puree the cooked vegetables but you could also use a heavy duty Vitamix.
- We suggest using a high quality rubber spatula spoon when making soup so you can easily stir, scrape down the side of the pot and sip to check if it needs to be seasoned further with more salt before spooning into bowls.
- This recipe calls for raw broccoli florets, but if you have time you can also roast them in the oven before blending them into the soup. Homemade roasted broccoli adds an additional layer of flavour to the soup and can act as a great garnish to this recipe too!
- If you’re a cheese lover feel free to add up to 1 cup of your favourite shredded aged cheese to the soup, like parmesan, cheddar or gruyere. Add the shredded cheese in Step 7, when adding the milk and stock.
- Additional vegetarian friendly garnishes that taste and look great on this soup include smoked nuts, roasted pumpkin seeds, chopped freshly plucked herbs, grated pear and apple, shredded cheese, chili flakes and olive oil fried croutons.
What To Serve with Healthy Broccoli Soup
There’s nothing more comforting on a cold day then cozying up to a bowl of soup with a fresh salad, gourmet crackers, artisanal cheeses, sourdough bread, savoury muffins and homemade pickles.
If you’re hosting a large dinner party you might want to serve our Broccoli Almond Soup as an appetizer before serving heartier mains. We love serving this soup with Osaka Okonomayaki, Calgary Ginger Beef, Keto Jalapeno Poppers, Instant Pot Short Rib Ragu, Cheesy Polenta, Vegetarian Roti Canai Curry, Gruyere Grilled Cheese Sandwich, Old School Cheese and Onion Pie, Green Onion Cake, Baked Mediterranean Chicken Thighs, Baked Chicken Cracklings, Homemade Savoury Pickle Pie, Indian Crepes, Vietnamese Crepe Bánh Xèo, Tartiflette Reblochon or Ricotta Gnocchi.
After dinner why not dazzle your guests with one of our popular desserts such as Oat Flour Cookies with Chocolate Chips, Dark Chocolate Lindt Lindor Cookies, Maraschino Cherry Cupcakes Recipe or Cinnamon Babka For Chocolate Lovers.
You May Also Enjoy Reading…
- Roasted Beetroot Salad with Grapefruit, Pistachio and Herbed Cream
- Mizeria Creamy Polish Cucumber Salad Recipe
- Goi Xoai Vietnamese Mango Salad Recipe
- Quick & Easy Indian Onion Salad Recipe
- Guasacaca Sauce: Venezuelan Guacamole Recipe
- Easy Creamy Warm Orzo Lemon Salad
- Easy Healthy Homemade Goi Ga Vietnamese Salad
- Easy Healthy Roasted Vegetable Couscous Recipe
- How To Make Healthy Sweet Potato Rice
- How To Make The Best Canadian Salad Recipe
- Healthy Garlic Lemon Chickpea Avocado Salad
- Easy Healthy Vegetarian French Onion Soup Recipe
- Cajun Louisiana Cream of Shrimp Soup Recipe
- Lebanese Lentil Soup Recipe: Healthy Adas Bil Hamod
- Ajiaco Cubano Recipe: Healthy Cuban Soup with Chicken
- Traditional Polish Sour Rye Zurek Soup Recipe
- Swedish Sandwich Cake: Easy Homemade Smorgastarta Recipe
- Chinese Ginger Garlic Soup Recipe for Colds
- Easy Citrus “Rojak” Singapore Salad Recipe
- Easy Homemade Jamaican Chicken Soup with Dumplings Recipe
- Vegetarian Roasted Pumpkin Feta Salad with Beetroot & Pine Nuts
- Healthy Roasted Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Soup Recipe
- Healthy Roasted Sweet Potato and Red Pepper Soup Recipe
- Healthy Homemade Carrot and Leek Soup Recipe
If you have leftover soup you can store the soup base in the fridge in an airtight container for up to a week. To reheat simply zap it in the microwave or simmer in a small saucepan on the stove.
We love doubling our soup recipes so can store leftovers in the freezer and save time on cooking in the kitchen. We suggest storing leftover soup in Pyrex freezer safe containers that have a snug lid so there’s not spilling. My mother often uses old glass pasta sauce jars to store soup in the freezer.
Be sure to let your soup reach room temperature before storing it in the freezer. If you add a hot jar of soup to a cold freezer it will significantly reduce the interior temperature and potentially spoil your food.
How To Make Easy Broccoli Almond Soup
Healthy Broccoli Almond Soup
- Dutch Oven or Large Pot
- Wooden spoon
- Immersion Blender
- measuring spoons
- measuring cups
- French knife
- 1/2 cup Blanched almonds
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 5 Garlic cloves minced
- 1 Medium Spanish onion chopped
- 3/4 cup Celery chopped
- 3 cups Broccoli florets
- 1 cup Yukon Gold Potato peeled and chopped
- 3/4 tsp Kosher salt
- 3/4 cup Almond Milk
- 1 cup Vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1 tsp Vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg ground
- 1/2 tsp Black pepper
- 1/4 cup Cheddar cheese grated
- Place almonds in boiling hot water for 5 minutes. Drain the water and pinch the almonds to remove the skin. Set aside.
- In a large pot or Dutch Oven add olive oil, minced garlic and chopped onion. Saute for 3-4 minutes until the onions soften and translucent.
- Add the chopped celery, broccoli florets, potato and blanched almonds. Stir with a wooden spoon until fully combined.
- Add 1.5 cups water and salt. Seal pot with a lid. Cook for 25-30 minutes on medium low heat, until broccoli is soft and tender.
- Remove the lid, turn off the heat and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Puree the soup with an immersion blender, until you reach a smooth consistency.
- Turn on the stove to medium heat and add milk, vegetable stock, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce and freshly cracked pepper.
- Serve immediately topped with a drizzle of cream, shredded cheddar cheese, sliced fresh herbs and chopped almonds.
Some of the links in this story use affiliate links. This means that if you make a purchase through our site, Dobbernationloves will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps us to produce comprehensive content.
Save This Story To Pinterest!
Some of the links in this story use affiliate links. This means that if you make a purchase through our site, dobbernationLOVES will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps us to produce comprehensive content.