Sweet Potato Rice is one of our families favourite delicious and healthy, gluten-free side dishes.
This quick and easy recipe is prepared similarly to cauliflower rice, using a spiralizer. From start to finish you can have this vegetarian and vegan dish on the table in less than an hour.
Enjoy as a sweet potato rice bowl all on its own, or cook with Mexican flavours as a nutritious side dish best served at a potluck or summer barbecue.
Save this story to Pinterest!
Travel to Mexico by Cooking Sweet Potato Rice at Home
Our easy recipe for Sweet Potato Rice can be enjoyed as a simple gluten-free side dish, or by adding Mexican flavours such as peppers, corn, beans and cilantro.
A Healthy Grain Free Rice
Looking for a nutritious grain free rice you can make at home?
Cauliflower Rice was the trendy gluten-free option a few years ago. After making our Sweet Potato Rice recipe we think you’ll find a new favourite healthy side dish!
“Rice” made of vegetables is a great way to increase the vegetables in your diet and a huge help for those trying to avoid grains.
The recipe is easy and uncomplicated, nothing more than shredded and sautéed sweet potato. Once fully cooked, it offers a yummy texture that’s both soft and slightly crisp from browning over the stove. It’s natural flavour also intensifies thanks to the natural sugars that caramelized when heated.
Use A Spiralizer to Make Grain-Free Rice
If you haven’t already purchased a vegetable spiralizer, buy one now!
The trendy kitchen gadget will totally change the way you incorporate vegetables in your diet. It allows you to easily transform zucchini, cauliflower and sweet potatoes into thin ribbons or noodles.
The goal when making homemade sweet potato rice is to transform the lumpy vegetable into spirals or strands. Once the sweet potato has been spiralized you can chop them into rice by using a sharp French knife on a sturdy cutting board.
If you don’t have a spiralizer you can try and mimic the process by using a food processor with the grater attachment. Or in a pinch you can shred the sweet potatoes using a cheese grater. You’ll make the best recipe using a spiralizer as it produces the most uniform rice-sized pieces.
How To Make Homemade Sweet Potato Rice
- Using a vegetable peeler, remove the skin of each sweet potato. This helps ensure consistent texture when cooking.
- Cut the sweet potato so it fits into a spiralizer (or food processor) and shred the vegetable completely.
- Gently slice and chop the ribbons of sweet potato into rice-sized pieces.
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat and add the shredded sweet potato, salt, pepper, and a neutral oil such as canola.
- After 15-20 minutes the “rice” should be soft and tender. Be sure to constantly stir while cooking to ensure all the bits and pieces in the pan are uniformly browned.
Get Creative with Flavours
Now that you’ve cooked sweet potato rice for the first time…what’s the best way to enjoy it?
You can simply enjoy the side dish served in a bowl with salt and pepper, or better yet, why not get creative with flavours from your favourite global cuisines?
Our recipe is inspired by our travels to Mexico and include beans, corn, red onion, sweet peppers and cilantro.
You could also find inspiration in Asian cuisine by using ginger, fish sauce, scallions, sesame oil and soy sauce. Serve with bean sprouts, tofu, grilled shrimp and lemongrass for a taste of Thailand. Or add Gochujang, Ssamjang, bulgogi, sesame seeds and fermented kimchi for a spicy Korean take.
What To Serve with Sweet Potato Rice
You can enjoy this recipe as a simple vegan and gluten-free side dish, or transform it into an entree of its own based on how creative you get with your recipe.
If you’re hosting a healthy lunch or dinner, why not serve the dish with fresh salads and soups? Some of our favourite recipes include Chinese Cucumber Salad, Cajun Spicy Chorizo Corn Salad, Cherry Pecan Kale Salad with Honey Lime Vinaigrette, Carrot and Tahini Salad with Crispy Cumin Chickpeas and Pistachios, Fennel, Apple, Celery and Roasted Hazelnut Salad, Spicy Tikka Masala Turkey Barley Soup, Piri Piri Carrot and Sweet Pepper Soup with Bulgar and Kale, Leek, Bean, Orzo and Pumpkin Soup with Pecan Pesto.
Storing Sweet Potato Rice
Once you’ve cooked sweet potato rice it lasts in the fridge for 4-5 days. We suggest doubling the recipe so you can enjoy the leftovers for lunch or dinner.
We do not suggest freezing cooked sweet potato as it will be mushy when thawed.
If you are looking to prepare dishes in advance for a party or potluck, you can prepare the uncooked “rice” in advance. Once the “rice,” has been cut up, store it in an airtight container in your fridge for up to two days before cooking on the stove.
You May Also Enjoy Reading…
- Easy Homemade Thai Beef and Pumpkin Curry
- Best Homemade Baked Korean Gochujang Chicken Wings
- How To Make Easy Vegan Chinese Cucumber Salad
- How To Make Spicy Tikka Masala Turkey Barley Soup
- How To Make Italian Dumplings: 3 Easy Ricotta Gnocchi Recipes
- How To Make Velveeta Cheese Dip: Best Mexican Queso Recipes
- How To Make Homemade Pierogies
- How To Make Tartiflette Reblochon
- Sweet and Sour Pork Meatball Recipe
- Peanut and Sesame Noodle Bowl with Korean BBQ Pork and Pickles
- How to Make Crispy and Healthy Oven Baked Sweet Potato Fries
Best Sweet Potato Rice Recipe
Healthy Sweet Potato Rice
- Non-stick pan
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- French knife
- mixing bowl
- 1.5 lbs Sweet potato Peeled
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup Canned black beans
- 1 cup Canned corn
- 1/2 cup Vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup Cilantro chopped
- 1/4 cup Lemon juice
- 1/2 cup Red onion minced
- 1 cup Sweet Bell Pepper minced
- 1 cup Cherry tomatoes sliced
- 1/4 tsp Ground cumin
- 1/4 cup Sour cream
- Place peeled sweet potato in spirzalizer at medium thickness setting and spin into ribbons.
- Wish a French knife, chop spiralized sweet potatoes into small segments the size of rice.
- In a large non-stick pan over medium high heat add oil and sweet potato rice. Stir continuously for 20 minutes until the sweet potato has started to brown.
- Add black beans, corn, cilantro, red onion, sweet pepper, cumin, lemon juice and broth. Stir until incorporated and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add cherry tomatoes and cook for one minute.
- Serve Mexican Sweet Potato Rice topped with dollop of sour cream and garnish with chopped cilantro.
Some of the links in this story use affiliate links. This means that if you make a purchase through our site, Dobbernationloves will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps us to produce comprehensive content.
Save this story to Pinterest!