Greek Lentil Soup is one of our favourite vegetarian soups to cook at home in the Fall and Winter.
Our authentic Fakes Soupa recipe is quick and easy to make, ready to serve in under an hour.
You’ll love spooning through a bowl of homemade Greek Lentil Soup featuring flavourful onions, garlic, oregano, rosemary, cumin, parsley, lemon and feta cheese.
Save This Story To Pinterest!
What Is Soup?
Soup is a liquid food, generally served warm or hot (but can also be served cold like gazpacho), that is prepared by combining meat or vegetables with stock or water.
Hot soups are additionally characterized by boiling solid ingredients in liquids in a pot until the flavours are extracted, creating a rich broth.
Soups are similar to stews, and in some cases there may not be a clear distinction between the two. Soups generally have more liquid (broth) than chunkier and heartier stews.
In traditional French cuisine, soups are classified into two groups: clear soups (bouillon and consomme) and thick soups (purees, bisques, veloutes).
Purées are vegetable soups thickened with starch; bisques are made from puréed shellfish or vegetables thickened with cream; cream soups may be thickened with béchamel sauce; and veloutés are thickened with eggs, butter, and cream.
History of Soup
Evidence of the existence of soup can be found as far back as about 20,000 BC. Boiling was not a common cooking technique until the invention of waterproof containers, such as clay pots. To boil the water hot rocks were used.
The word soup comes from French soupe (broth), which comes through Vulgar Latin suppa (“bread soaked in broth”) from a Germanic source, from which also comes the word “sop”, a piece of bread used to soak up soup or a thick stew.
The word restaurant (meaning “restoring”) was first used in France in the 16th century, to refer to a highly concentrated, inexpensive soup, sold by street vendors, that was advertised as a cure to physical exhaustion. In 1765, a Parisian entrepreneur opened a shop specializing in such soups. This prompted the use of the modern word restaurant for eating establishments.
In America, the first colonial cookbook was published by William Parks in Williamsburg, Virginia, in 1742, based on Eliza Smith’s The Compleat Housewife; or Accomplished Gentlewoman’s Companion, and it included several recipes for soups and bisques.
English cooking dominated early colonial cooking; but as new immigrants arrived from other countries, other national soups gained popularity. In particular, German immigrants living in Pennsylvania were famous for their potato soups. In 1794, Jean Baptiste Gilbert Payplat dis Julien, a refugee from the French Revolution, opened an eating establishment in Massachusetts called The Restorator, and became known as the “Prince of Soups”.
Travel to Greece by Cooking Fakes Soupa at Home
I love traveling to Europe.
As a professional food and travel journalist, I’ve had the opportunity to enjoy amazing meals in Europe, from traditional markets to award winning restaurants.
For over ten years, I’ve been on the hunt for the best Greek Lentil Soup recipe. I’ve embarked on culinary adventures at Mediterranean restaurants in Croatia, Italy, Morocco, France, Spain, Turkey, Egypt and Israel.
After you’ve enjoyed your first few sips, you’ll realize why a steaming bowl of authentic Fakes Soupa is a must-try when visiting Greece!
Where To Eat Authentic Greek Lentil Soup
Haven’t traveled to the Greece before? It may be helpful to first sample healthy Fakes Soupa at a local restaurant to better understand how the soup is served. You’ll get an idea of how many vegetables to add to each bowl and the desired spice aroma and flavour. You’ll also find inspiration on what to pair with Fakes Soupa including Saganaki Fried Cheese, Tzatziki and Melitzanosalata.
My Family Loves Greek Lentil Soup
My dad would often make cream of tomato soup and serve a bowl with grilled cheese sandwiches and pickles. Our family also loved slurping through bowls of Butternut Squash Soup, French Onion Soup and Chicken Noodle Soup.
During October in Ontario we’d often visit popular Fall Fairs in Norfolk County, Niagara and Prince Edward County to go on fun rides, run through corn mazes and purchase fresh local fruits and vegetables at the peak of harvest season.
Vegetarian Greek Lentil Soup is full of fragrant spices and its smooth consistency is a great way to incorporate healthy vegetables into your diet during the colder months of the year.
Greek Lentil Soup Health Benefits
Our vegetarian Greek Lentil Soup recipe is packed full of healthy ingredients!
It is only recently that scientists have begun to identify the components responsible for garlic’s myriad health benefits. Rich in phytochemicals and potassium, garlic helps boost your immune system, fight cancer and protect your heart.
Onions are a humble vegetable packed with vitamins, minerals and phytochemicals. Regular consumption of leeks can help boost digestive health and reduce the risk of developing heart disease.
An excellent source of vitamin A and the phytochemical beta-carotene, carrots help keep your eyes and bones healthy, and may help protect against several types of cancer.
Packed with calcium and friendly probiotic bacteria, yogurt help keep your bones strong and your gut healthy. Yogurt may also help reduce the risk of obesity, diabetes and some types of cancer.
Rich in a group of phytochemicals called carotenoids, tomatoes may help reduce the risk of heart disease and stroke, and provide protection against cancer. Tomatoes are also a good source of immune-boosting vitamin C.
All types of lentils are rich in cholesterol-lowering fibre. They are also a low-fat source of iron, vital for the cardiovascular system and for energy, and contain B vitamins that protect against heart disease.
A rich source of phytochemicals and vitamin C, lemons help boost your immune system and neutralize free radicals that cause disease and skin aging. Lemons also protect against heart disease and help improve blood flow to the brain.
Oregano is rich in antioxidants, may help fight bacteria, could have anti-cancer properties and can decrease inflammation.
A rich source of blood-building iron, cumin may also help balance your blood sugar levels and reduce bad cholesterol. It is also traditionally used as a digestive aid.
Rosemary provides blood-healthy iron, as well as phytochemicals that may help protect against cognitive decline, slow the growth of cancer, and protect your eyes.
An excellent source of vitamin K, as well as vitamin C, folate, and iron, parsley helps keep your bones and blood healthy, and protects your skin from damage by free radicals.
Fakes Soupa Cooking Tips
This healthy vegetarian soup is quick and easy to make at home. We’ve included a few tips for first time soup makers!
- Use a large cast iron dutch oven with a high rim to reduce splatter when cooking and pureeing the vegetables.
- In our recipe below we suggest using an immersion blender to puree the cooked vegetables but you could also use a heavy duty Vitamix.
- We suggest using a high quality rubber spatula spoon when making soup so you can easily stir, scrape down the side of the pot and sip to check if it needs to be seasoned further with more salt before spooning into bowls.
- You can make vegan Fakes Soupa by omitting the Greek yogurt and feta cheese. Or feel free to substitute those ingredients with vegan yogurt or vegan cheese.
- If you don’t have an immersion blender our Greek Lentil Soup can also be enjoyed as a chunky vegetarian stew. If you’re not blending the soup, be sure to slice and chop your vegetables very finely, so they can easily fit onto your soup spoon.
What To Serve with Our Fakes Soupa
If you’re hosting a large dinner party you might want to serve our easy Greek Lentil Soup as an appetizer before serving heartier mains. We love serving this soup with Osaka Okonomayaki, Calgary Ginger Beef, Keto Jalapeno Poppers, Instant Pot Short Rib Ragu, Cheesy Polenta, Vegetarian Roti Canai Curry, Gruyere Grilled Cheese Sandwich, Old School Cheese and Onion Pie, Green Onion Cake, Baked Mediterranean Chicken Thighs, Baked Chicken Cracklings, Homemade Savoury Pickle Pie, Indian Crepes, Vietnamese Crepe Bánh Xèo, Tartiflette Reblochon or Ricotta Gnocchi.
After dinner why not dazzle your guests with one of our popular desserts such as Oat Flour Cookies with Chocolate Chips, Dark Chocolate Lindt Lindor Cookies, Maraschino Cherry Cupcakes Recipe or Cinnamon Babka For Chocolate Lovers.
You May Also Enjoy Reading…
- Roasted Beetroot Salad with Grapefruit, Pistachio and Herbed Cream
- Mizeria Creamy Polish Cucumber Salad Recipe
- Goi Xoai Vietnamese Mango Salad Recipe
- Quick & Easy Indian Onion Salad Recipe
- Guasacaca Sauce: Venezuelan Guacamole Recipe
- Easy Creamy Warm Orzo Lemon Salad
- Easy Healthy Homemade Goi Ga Vietnamese Salad
- Easy Healthy Roasted Vegetable Couscous Recipe
- How To Make Healthy Sweet Potato Rice
- How To Make The Best Canadian Salad Recipe
- Healthy Garlic Lemon Chickpea Avocado Salad
- Easy Healthy Vegetarian French Onion Soup Recipe
- Cajun Louisiana Cream of Shrimp Soup Recipe
- Lebanese Lentil Soup Recipe: Healthy Adas Bil Hamod
- Ajiaco Cubano Recipe: Healthy Cuban Soup with Chicken
- Traditional Polish Sour Rye Zurek Soup Recipe
- Swedish Sandwich Cake: Easy Homemade Smorgastarta Recipe
- Chinese Ginger Garlic Soup Recipe for Colds
- Easy Citrus “Rojak” Singapore Salad Recipe
- Easy Homemade Jamaican Chicken Soup with Dumplings Recipe
- Vegetarian Roasted Pumpkin Feta Salad with Beetroot & Pine Nuts
- Healthy Roasted Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Soup Recipe
- Healthy Roasted Sweet Potato and Red Pepper Soup Recipe
- Healthy Homemade Carrot and Leek Soup Recipe
Storing Greek Lentil Soup
If you have leftover Fakes Soupa you can store it in the fridge in an airtight container for up to a week. To reheat simply zap it in the microwave or simmer in a small saucepan on the stove.
We love doubling our soup recipes so can store leftovers in the freezer and save time on cooking in the kitchen. We suggest storing leftover soup in Pyrex freezer safe containers that have a snug lid so there’s not spilling. My mother often uses old glass pasta sauce jars to store soup in the freezer.
Be sure to let your soup reach room temperature before storing it in the freezer. If you add a hot jar of soup to a cold freezer it will significantly reduce the interior temperature and potentially spoil your food.
How To Make Healthy Greek Lentil Soup
Greek Lentil Soup Fakes Soupa
- Dutch Oven or Large Pot
- Spatula or Wooden Spoon
- chef knife
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- 3 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 Spanish onion chopped
- 4 Garlic cloves minced
- 2 Carrots chopped
- 2 tsp Dried oregano
- 1 tsp Dried cumin
- 1 tsp Dried rosemary
- 1 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1 cup Crushed tomatoes
- 7 cups Vegetable stock
- 2 cups Dry lentils rinsed and drained
- 1 tsp Lemon zest
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1/4 cup Dry sherry
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Crumbled feta
- Greek Yogurt
- Pour olive oil into a large pot dutch oven and cook with garlic, onions and carrot over medium heat fo 3-4 minutes. Stir regularly to avoid burning.
- Add spices and bay leaves. Cook for an additional minute, stirring until fragrant.
- Add crushed tomatoes, vegetable stock and dried lentils. Season with kosher salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, cover with a lid and then lower heat to simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, until lentils are fully cooked and tender.
- Remove pot from heat, remove lid and let soup cool for 10 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, puree soup until you achieve a smooth consistency.
- Return soup to heat, and stir until warm and ready to eat. Before serving, add lemon zest, lemon juice and dry sherry.
- Spoon into bowls and garnish with chopped parsley, dollop of Greek yogurt and crumbled feta cheese.
Some of the links in this story use affiliate links. This means that if you make a purchase through our site, Dobbernationloves will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps us to produce comprehensive content.
Save This Story To Pinterest!
Some of the links in this story use affiliate links. This means that if you make a purchase through our site, dobbernationLOVES will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps us to produce comprehensive content.