Find yourself Googling, “Best Air Fryer Squash Recipe?”
This simple Air Fryer Butternut Squash recipe is one of our favourite quick & easy vegan and vegetarian side dishes.
Our healthy Air Fryer recipe takes less than 30 minutes to prepare and cook. It features affordable ingredients like squash, vegetable oil, maple syrup, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, salt and pepper.
We love cooking squash in an air fryer to serve as a side dish to accompany Sunday night roast dinners and at special celebrations like Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Save this story to Pinterest!
What Is Air Fryer Squash?
Cucurbita is a genus of herbaceous vegetables in the gourd family. Five species are grown worldwide for their edible vegetable, known as squash, pumpkin, or gourd.
Winter varieties include butternut, acorn, delicata, pumpkin, hubbard, kabocha and spaghetti squashes. Zucchini and yellow squash, either with straight or crooked necks, are considered summer squashes.
Squash and pumpkin are naturally sweet like corn and sweet potatoes. The vegetable can be used in both sweet and savoury recipes, from Thanksgiving Pumpkin Pie to Butternut Squash Soup.
Our Air Fryer Squash recipe is both sweet and savoury, featuring maple syrup as well as onion powder, garlic powder and salt.
We like to cook Air Fryer Butternut Squash but you can prepare this recipe with other varieties like acorn squash or kabocha.
You May Also Enjoy These Squash Recipes…
- Healthy Vegetarian Mafalda Pasta Noodles
- Creamy Red Thai Pork Curry Recipe
- Vegetarian Gorgonzola Risotto al Radicchio
- Moghrabieh Lebanese Chickpea Chicken Couscous
- Turmeric Pumpkin Spice Indian Cake
- Spicy Vegetarian Harissa Pasta
- Cuban Soup with Chicken
- Vegetarian Roasted Pumpkin Feta Salad with Beetroot & Pine Nuts
- Healthy Roasted Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Soup
- Grabong Northern Thai Pumpkin Fritter
- Banana Pumpkin Muffins
- Thai Beef and Pumpkin Curry
- Christmas and Thanksgiving Turkey Cranberry Sandwich
My Family Loves Air Fryer Butternut Squash
My family is obsessed with squash and pumpkin.
Our favourite time of year to cook is during the Fall at our cottage in Muskoka when the trees begin to change colour. Local farmers markets in Ontario sell some of our favourite fresh produce items during the Autumn harvest season like Halloween pumpkins, Thanksgiving gourds, and juicy apples and pears.
My father’s favourite soup is prepared with squash and my favourite Christmas dinner side dish has always been mashed maple squash.
In the Fall and Winter my parents like to roast a medley of vegetables, which they often pair with roast beef, chicken or pork. We love to roast chunks of butternut squash, potatoes, bell peppers, onions, parsnips and carrots with a little bit of oil and a mixture of spices. It’s a really comforting side dish.
Now that we’ve upgraded our kitchen with the trendiest new gadget we love making Air Fryer Squash.
Cooking Butternut Squash in an Air Fryer is a modern day marvel for home cooks as it significantly reduces the cooking time. The chunks of squash brown nicely and have a crispy texture outside and a soft and tender interior.
If you’re preparing squash in an air fryer at Thanksgiving or Christmas your oven will likely be utilized several dishes simultaneously like a large turkey, cauliflower gratin, dressing and brussels sprouts.
Utilizing your air fryer to cook squash makes it easier to get that festive feast on the table on time.
Best Air Fryers
An air fryer is a small countertop convection oven designed to simulate deep frying without submerging the food in oil. A fan circulates hot air at high speed, producing a crisp layer via browning reactions.
In 2010, Philips introduced the Airfryer brand of convection oven at a consumer electronics fair in Berlin. It used the patented Rapid Air technology, though the term air fryer is now used generically.
Early air fryers were barrel-shaped, though more recently, many have come to resemble toaster ovens and pressure cookers, offering additional functions like toasting, baking, dehydrating and rotisserie.
A decade after their launch, Air Fryers are now one of the trendiest kitchen appliance. They are particularly popular with gourmands living in condos or apartments in big cities like Toronto as they reduce the number of appliances taking up space in your kitchen.
- Hamilton Beach: I tested this recipe with a Hamilton Beach toaster oven-style air fryer. They are an excellent option for those looking for an affordable air fryer and I particularly like mine as it allowed me to replace my toaster, dehydrator and rotisserie. It’s also easier to spread food out and make it crispy by using a baking tray rather than a basket.
- Instant Vortex: This popular air fryer is brought to you by the inventors of the popular Instant Pot. It’s 6 quart capacity features an easy to clean tray that air frys, roasts and bakes.
- COSORI: This 5.8 quart air fryer is an 11-in-1 cooker featuring a nonstick basket and helpful shake reminder setting.
- Ninja: This premium brand is the perfect option for those looking to invest in a heavy duty stainless steel air fryer. The product has been designed to look similar to an Instant Pot, with the top of the air fryer flipping backwards so you can easily lower a basket filled with food.
- NuWave: This sleek digital air fryer features a traditional removable basket and reaches temperatures up to 390 F.
Our homemade crispy Air Fryer Butternut Squash recipe is packed full of healthy ingredients.
All varieties of pumpkin (or squash) are nutritious, but butternut squash is a superfood because it contains high levels of carotenoids, which help combat cancer and support skin health.
It is only recently that scientists have begun to identify the components responsible for garlic’s myriad health benefits. Rich in phytochemicals and potassium, garlic helps boost your immune system, fight cancer and protect your heart.
Onions are a humble vegetable packed with vitamins, minerals and phytochemicals. Regular consumption of onions can help boost digestive health and reduce the risk of developing heart disease.
Paprika is rich in vitamin A, capsaicin, and carotenoid antioxidants. These substances may help prevent inflammation and improve your cholesterol, eye health and blood sugar levels.
How To Make Crispy Air Fryer Squash
Our squash recipe is so easy to make you’ll have it ready to serve in under 30 minutes!
There are two methods to cooking butternut squash in an air fryer, which depend on the style of air fryer you are using.
- Traditional Basket: air fryers with a removable basket are still the most common. In order to make Air Fryer Butternut Squash in these machines, simply lower the chunks into the basket, then shake to ensure they aren’t crowded and touching. This will ensure they get crispy not soggy.
- Toaster Oven Tray: modern air fryers featuring a glass door and tray configuration make it easy to prepare crispy roast squash at home. Simply scatter the chunks on the tray and watch them brown through the glass door.
Air Fryer Butternut Squash Recipe Cooking Tips
- We suggest using butternut squash in this recipe but you can also use acorn squash or delicata squash.
- This recipe is vegan and vegetarian friendly but if you’re a meat eating family and have any turkey, chicken or beef fat leftover from your roast you can always substitute instead of canola oil. It imparts a meaty flavour to the dish.
- We’ve prepared a sweet and salty squash recipe using maple syrup and a selection of spices. You can get creative in the kitchen by substituting maple syrup for honey, and adding your own favourite blend of spices. Make Indian Squash by tossing the chunks in Garam Masala or French Butternut Squash by using Herbs de Provence.
- You can make a super simple Air Fryer Squash recipe by just tossing the chunks with oil, salt and pepper.
- Be sure not to overcrowd the air fryer basket with squash chunks. You want them to be spaced out so the air can flow over them and make them crispy. If you pile them into the air fryer on top of each other they will be soggy.
What To Serve With Air Fryer Squash
Air Fryer Squash is often served as a vegetarian and vegan side dish to accompany a roast dinner.
You can also use Air Fryer Butternut Squash in salad recipes like this easy Roasted Squash Feta Salad with Beetroot & Pine Nuts.
We love to serve Air Fryer Butternut Squash with Pork Ribs, Bone In Pork Chops, German Pork Rouladen, Egyptian Crispy Crusted Dukkah Chicken, Crispy Roast Chicken and Leek Risotto, Cornish Hen, and Chicken Drumsticks.
After dinner why not dazzle your guests with one of our popular desserts such as Oat Flour Cookies with Chocolate Chips, Dark Chocolate Lindt Lindor Cookies, Maraschino Cherry Cupcakes Recipe, Rhubarb Strawberry Dutch Baby, Jordgubbstårta Swedish Strawberry Cake and Chocolate Chip Caramel Banana Nut Ice Cream.
You May Enjoy These Vegan Recipes…
- Healthy Japanese Vegan Miso Soba Noodles
- Mexican Vegan Cucumber Radish Salad with Chipotle Peanuts
- Vegan Flourless Chickpea Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Warm Indian Vegan Sprouted Mung Bean Salad
- Vegan Curry Leaf Rice with Cashews
- Sangchu Geotjeori Sweet and Sour Korean Lettuce Salad
- Crispy Vegan Pan Fried Korean Tofu
- Vegan Lebanese Cabbage Malfouf Salad
- Vegan Spicy Crispy Roasted Harissa Potatoes
- Vegan Slow Cooked Red Cabbage with Cranberries
- Vegan One Pot Indian Thakkali Tomato Biryani
- Mutabbal Vegan Middle Eastern Eggplant Dip
- Parippu Vada Recipe With Coconut Chutney
- Vegan Buckwheat Gluten Free Porridge
- Vegan Keto Za’atar Butter Bean Dip Recipe
You May Enjoy These Air Fryer Recipes…
- Healthy Vegan Roasted Garlic in Air Fryer
- Cheesy Bacon Air Fryer Potato Skins
- Easy Crispy Air Fried Cornish Hen
- Viral TikTok Air Fryer Pasta Chips
- Smoky BBQ Bone In Air Fryer Pork Ribs
- Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Drumsticks
- Easy Seasoned Air Fryer Bone In Pork Chops
- Easy Homemade Air Fryer Pizza Rolls
- Easy Frozen Sweet Potato Fries In Air Fryer
- Frozen Chicken Fingers Tenders & Strips In Air Fryer
- Easy Frozen Onion Rings In Air Fryer
- Easy Frozen Burgers In Air Fryer Recipe
- Frozen Eggo Waffles In Air Fryer Recipe
- Air Fryer Nachos Recipe
- Cheesy Garlic Bread In Air Fryer Recipe
- Easy Homemade Air Fryer Popcorn Recipe
How To Make Healthy Air Fryer Butternut Squash
Air Fryer Butternut Squash
- Air Fryer
- vegetable peeler
- French knife
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- Wooden spoon or spatula
- 4 cups Butternut Squash chopped into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tbsp Canola Oil
- 1 tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1/4 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- Preheat air fryer to 400 F.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the squash cubes along with the other ingredients. Toss until the cubes are well coated.
- Arrange the butternut squash chunks in a single layer in your air fryer basket or tray and cook for 15-20 minutes, or until the squash is fork tender and crispy on the outside. Shake or stir the cubes after 10 minutes.
- Remove from the air fryer and serve immediately.
Some of the links in this story use affiliate links. This means that if you make a purchase through our site, dobbernationLOVES will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps us to produce comprehensive content.
Save this story to Pinterest!