This easy Pasta Chips recipe is the latest viral TikTok sensation!
We’ll show you how easy it is to make air fryer pasta chips at home. It’s a great way to use up extra or leftover pasta after hosting an Italian dinner party. From start to finish it takes less than 30 minutes to prepare pasta chips in an air fryer.
Our quick & easy pasta chips recipe features simple everyday ingredients you’ll have in your cupboards or fridge.
The best pasta chips recipe features flavourful ingredients like al dente pasta, olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, chili flakes and grated parmesan cheese.
We love making this appetizer as a last minute snack served with creamy Heluva Good French Onion Dip for dipping and dunking!
Save this story to Pinterest!
What Are TikTok Pasta Chips?
Any dedicated social media fan has likely seen the #pastachips trend which blew up at the beginning of summer 2021.
For the viral TikTok kitchen illiterate, pasta chips are exactly what they sound like: cooked pasta that has been air fried until crispy and crunchy. It’s also tossed with various seasonings and used as a vessel for dipping marinara, whipped feta and creamy chip dips.
Thus far on TikTok the hashtag had garnered over 645 million views! So how did this viral TikTok pasta chips recipe come to be?
One of the first TikTok videos using the hashtag seems to have been shared by food blogger Emily Chan via @bostonfoodgram, who posted her video on April 16. “I didn’t think this recipe would be popular at all,” Chan shared with Today. “I think people love new dishes they can pop into the air fryer. And the ingredients are ones that most people already have in their kitchens, so you don’t usually have to buy anything extra to try them out.”
My Family Loves Air Fryer Pasta Chips
My family loves pasta and chips (I mean who doesn’t?)
We’re lovers of easy homemade snacks so I thought I’d test out the viral Tiktok Pasta Chip trend at home on my Hamilton Beach Air Fryer Oven.
A lot of food bloggers have been sharing their own unique air fryer pasta chips recipes. You can easily edit the ingredients list based on what’s available in your spice rack. Focus on big flavours you love!
Some kitchen creatives have tried to mimic actual potato chip flavours by tossing al dente pasta in “Salt & Vinegar” or “Barbecue” flavourings. Many pasta chip recipes feature suggestions for dips to pair with the crunchy vegetarian munchies: from simple marinara sauce to gourmet whipped feta.
I wanted to make pasta chips in an air fryer that are quick and easy to prepare. I’ve used extra virgin olive oil to help the pasta crisp up in the air fryer. Aged Parmigiano Reggiano finely grated offers a cheesy coating. Toss these homemade air fryer pasta chips in garlic powder and onion powder while adding a smokey flavour via paprika and spicy kick thanks to chili pepper flakes.
When serving this air fried appetizer to family and friends I simply open a tub of French Onion flavoured Heluva Good dip and they disappear in seconds!
Best Air Fryer For Pasta Chips
An air fryer is a small countertop convection oven designed to simulate deep frying without submerging the food in oil. A fan circulates hot air at high speed, producing a crisp layer via browning reactions.
In 2010, Philips introduced the Airfryer brand of convection oven at a consumer electronics fair in Berlin. It used the patented Rapid Air technology, though the term air fryer is now used generically.
Early air fryers were barrel-shaped, though more recently, many have come to resemble toaster ovens and pressure cookers, offering additional functions like toasting, baking, dehydrating and rotisserie.
A decade after their launch, Air Fryers are now one of the trendiest kitchen appliance. They are particularly popular with gourmands living in condos or apartments in big cities like Toronto as they reduce the number of appliances taking up space in your kitchen.
I tested this air fryer pasta chips recipe using a Hamilton Beach Air Fryer Oven. It is an excellent option for those looking for an affordable air fryer and I particularly like mine as it allowed me to replace my toaster and rotisserie. It’s also easier to spread food out and make it crispy by using a baking tray rather than a basket.
Best Shapes For Pasta Chips
If you’re making pasta chips in an air fryer for the first time you first need to ensure you have the perfect noodle shape. Since this popular homemade appetizer & snack is enjoyed alongside a dip it’s important that the shape of the pasta can scoop or hold the sauce well.
Pasta Chips would be a big fail if you used long noodles (spaghetti or linguine), short shapes (orzo or ditalini), fresh pastas (Pici or Gnocchi) or stuffed pasta like Sardinian Culurgiones.
Wondering if you can use a gluten-free pasta? Yes, just be sure that you cook the pasta al dente so that it doesn’t get too soft when cooking in the air fryer.
- Fusilli or Rotini: fusilli is made by twisting strands of pasta into a spring-like shape whereas rotini is extruded into tighter twists. I used rotini in this air fryer pasta chips recipe as the twisting strands hold a lot of dip.
- Orecchiette: these “little ears” offer a great scoop.
- Rigatoni: is a tube-shaped pasta that holds the dip inside each crunchy chip.
- Farfalle: is commonly known as bow-tie pasta or butterfly pasta. The end of each bowtie acts as an excellent scoop for holding dip.
- Lasagna: cook these long-broad noodles and then use scissors to snip them into nacho-shaped chips.
How To Make Air Fryer TikTok Pasta Chips
Our Air Fryer Pasta Chips recipe is so easy to make you’ll have it ready to serve in under 30 minutes!
There are two methods to making past chips in an air fryer, which depend on the style of air fryer you are using.
- Traditional Basket: air fryers with a removable basket are still the most common. In order to make this pasta chips recipe in these machines, simply place the seasoned pasta in the bottom of the basket and cook.
- Toaster Oven Tray: modern air fryers featuring a glass door and tray configuration make it easy to prepare pasta chips at home. Simply place the pasta on the air fryer tray and cook. You’ll have the added benefit of being able to watch the pasta sizzle and squeak while peaking through the glass door.
Pasta Chips Recipe Tips & Substitutions
- We love making this snack recipe the day after hosting an Italian dinner party. Simply store the leftover al dente pasta in a ziplock bag in the fridge and prepare the following day.
- We’ve used olive oil in this pasta chips recipe but you could also use flavourless cooking oils like canola.
- We’ve used parmesan cheese in this recipe but you could substitute for another dry aged cheese like Gouda, Vache Maigre, Gruyere, Piave Stravecchio, Aged Cheddar, Manchego, Beemster XO or Mimolette. Do not use soft or fresh cheese like mozzarella, ricotta, feta or brie as they will ooze in the oven and not get crispy.
- We’ve used onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika and chili flakes in our spice mix. Feel free to substitue with dried chives, dried oregano or Italian seasoning.
- We serve our pasta chips recipe with Heluva Good dip but you could also use marinara sauce or Mexican queso.
- Be sure to remove the air fryer tray or basket 2-3 times during the cooking process to shake and toss the pasta so each chip browns evenly.
- If you don’t own an air fryer don’t fret! You can still make this pasta chips recipe in a convection oven. Bake the pasta chips at 400 F for 20-25 minutes.
What To Serve With Pasta Chips
Air Fryer Pasta Chips are best enjoyed as snack or appetizer.
If you’re planning a summer barbecue potluck or dinner party menu serve pasta chips cooked in an air fryer on a snack table alongside Cheesy Vegetarian Antojito, Jalapeno Poppers, Tater Tot Poutine and Nuts and Bolts.
For a healthy meal we suggest serving pasta chips with fresh salads like Roasted Pumpkin Feta Salad, Roasted Beetroot Salad, Warm Orzo Lemon Salad, Canadian Salad, Garlic Lemon Chickpea Avocado Salad, Cherry Pecan Kale Salad or Fennel, Apple, Celery and Roasted Hazelnut Salad.
After dinner why not dazzle your guests with one of our popular desserts such as Oat Flour Cookies with Chocolate Chips, Dark Chocolate Lindt Lindor Cookies, Maraschino Cherry Cupcakes Recipe, Cinnamon Babka For Chocolate Lovers, Rhubarb Strawberry Dutch Baby, Jordgubbstårta Swedish Strawberry Cake, Flaky Swedish Rhubarb Cherry Pie, Crispy & Chewy Gay Pride Skittles Sugar Cookies or Lemon Lavender Shortbread Cookies.
You May Also Enjoy Reading…
- Air Fryer Popcorn Recipe
- Frozen Eggo Waffles In Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Nachos
- Easy Cheesy Garlic Bread In Air Fryer Recipe
- Smokey BBQ Bone In Air Fryer Pork Ribs Recipe
- Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Drumsticks Recipe
- Easy Seasoned Air Fryer Bone In Pork Chops Recipe
- Easy Homemade Air Fryer Pizza Rolls Recipe
- Easy Frozen Sweet Potato Fries In Air Fryer Recipe
- Frozen Chicken Fingers Tenders & Strips In Air Fryer
- Easy Frozen Onion Rings In Air Fryer Recipe
- Easy Frozen Burgers In Air Fryer Recipe
If you try this Pasta Chips recipe or any other recipe on Dobbernationloves, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave a comment below! It helps others who are thinking of making the recipe. We would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots, share it on Instagram or Twitter while tagging @dobbernation so we can drool over your culinary creation!
Air Fryer TikTok Pasta Chips Video
Viral Tiktok Pasta Chips Recipe
- Air Fryer
- mixing bowl
- measuring spoons
- measuring cups
- Wooden spoon or spatula
- 8 oz Fusilli or Rotini Pasta
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese grated
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Chili Pepper Flakes
- Kosher Salt & Pepper
- 1 cup Heluva Good Dip
- Preheat Air Fryer Oven to 400 F.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a rolling boil. Cook pasta to al dente according to package directions and strain in the sink in a colander.
- In a large mixing bowl toss the pasta with olive oil, parmesan cheese, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, chili pepper flakes, salt and pepper.
- Dump the fusilli in an air fryer basket and shake to ensure they are evenly dispersed.
- Slide tray into Air Fryer Oven and bake for 10-15 minutes, tossing 2-3 times to ensure they are evenly browned, crunchy and crispy.
- Serve the homemade pasta chips with Heluva Good Dip.
This is a Dobbernationloves Sponsored Story. Some of the links in this story use affiliate links. This means that if you make a purchase through our site, dobbernationLOVES will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps us to produce comprehensive content.
Save this story to Pinterest!