Air Fryer Pizza Rolls are our favourite homemade Italian-inspired snacks.
Our Air Fryer Pizza Rolls are one of our favourite quick & easy snack recipes, ready to eat in under 20 minutes.
This simple Air Fryer recipe features egg roll wrappers, marinara tomato sauce, shredded mozzarella cheese, pepperoni slices and fresh basil.
Save this story to Pinterest!
What Are Pizza Rolls?
Pizza rolls (also called pizza snack rolls, pizza bites, pizza snacks, pizza poppers) are typically a frozen food product consisting of bite-sized breaded pizza pockets with an interior of tomato sauce, melted cheese and various pizza toppings.
Popular frozen pizza roll brands include Totino’s, Annie’s, Feel Good Foods, Mama Cozzi’s, Signature Select and Kroger.
You can easily make crispy store bought pizza rolls in an air fryer but we like to have fun making our own homemade recipe from scratch.
If you have kids it’s a fun activity for the kitchen where they can get their hands messy and enjoy a cheesy snack as a reward for their hard work.
Our recipe features marinara sauce, shredded mozzarella cheese, sliced pepperoni and fresh basil. You can also make healthy vegetarian air fryer pizza rolls by omitting the pepperoni.
We offer additional pizza topping ingredients and sauces you can stuff with your pizza rolls below. The dish is really versatile and can reflect whatever pizza combination you’re craving!
My Family Loves Pizza
My family is obsessed with pizza!
When I was a little kid my mother would prepare homemade bread with commercial yeast. I’d watch mesmerized as she’d knead the dough on the counter into a tight ball and then hours later it would bloom into an airy pillow.
She’d also make homemade pizza dough, which we’d have fun with at parties as we added our own toppings. My family’s favourite pizza toppings are tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese, green olives, pineapple and pepperoni.
I recently wrote an article on the best pizza delivery in Toronto. The yummy research project allowed me to find new favourite topping combinations. I compared them to the authentic pizzas I have enjoyed in Italy when traveling through Florence, Pisa, Volterra, Saturnia, Pitigliano, Sorano, Montalcino, Siena, Venice, Modena, Milan, Rome, and Amalfi Coast.
Now that we’ve upgraded our kitchen with the trendiest new gadget we love making Air Fryer Pizza Rolls.
Cooking Pizza Rolls in an Air Fryer is a modern day marvel for home cooks who have a penchant for serving Italian American feasts. Air Fryers cook food much quicker and help ensure cheesy pizza rolls are both crispy and delicious!
Best Air Fryers
An air fryer is a small countertop convection oven designed to simulate deep frying without submerging the food in oil. A fan circulates hot air at high speed, producing a crisp layer via browning reactions.
In 2010, Philips introduced the Airfryer brand of convection oven at a consumer electronics fair in Berlin. It used the patented Rapid Air technology, though the term air fryer is now used generically.
Early air fryers were barrel-shaped, though more recently, many have come to resemble toaster ovens and pressure cookers, offering additional functions like toasting, baking, dehydrating and rotisserie.
A decade after their launch, Air Fryers are now one of the trendiest kitchen appliance. They are particularly popular with gourmands living in condos or apartments in big cities like Toronto as they reduce the number of appliances taking up space in your kitchen.
- Hamilton Beach: I tested this recipe with a Hamilton Beach toaster oven-style air fryer. They are an excellent option for those looking for an affordable air fryer and I particularly like mine as it allowed me to replace my toaster, dehydrator and rotisserie. It’s also easier to spread food out and make it crispy by using a baking tray rather than a basket.
- Instant Vortex: This popular air fryer is brought to you by the inventors of the popular Instant Pot. It’s 6 quart capacity features an easy to clean tray that air frys, roasts and bakes.
- COSORI: This 5.8 quart air fryer is an 11-in-1 cooker featuring a nonstick basket and helpful shake reminder setting.
- Ninja: This premium brand is the perfect option for those looking to invest in a heavy duty stainless steel air fryer. The product has been designed to look similar to an Instant Pot, with the top of the air fryer flipping backwards so you can easily lower a basket filled with food.
- NuWave: This sleek digital air fryer features a traditional removable basket and reaches temperatures up to 390 F.
How To Make Homemade Air Fryer Pizza Rolls
Our pizza rolls are so easy to make you’ll have it ready to serve in under 20 minutes!
There are two methods to making pizza rolls in an air fryer, which depend on the style of air fryer you are using.
- Traditional Basket: air fryers with a removable basket are still the most common. In order to make Pizza Rolls in these machines, simply lower them into the basket. Ensure they aren’t crowded and don’t touch. This will ensure the exterior gets crispy not soggy.
- Toaster Oven Tray: modern air fryers featuring a glass door and tray configuration make it easy to prepare cheesy pizza rolls at home. Simply place the pizza rolls on the tray and watch the surface brown while watching through the glass door.
Pizza Roll Ingredients
Our simple pizza rolls feature just 5 ingredients.
- Egg Rolls: purchase egg rolls from your grocery store or local Asian market.
- Marinara Sauce: purchase store bought pasta sauce like Prego or make your own homemade tomato sauce.
- Cheese: we suggest using shredded mozzarella cheese as it’s traditional. You can also grate or shred other cheeses that melt well like aged cheddar, fontina, asiago, parmesan, gouda or gruyere.
- Pepperoni: thinly slice pepperoni and include two pieces in each pizza roll.
- Basil: fill each roll with one or two fresh basil leaves.
Air Fryer Pizza Rolls Cooking Tips
- Place the pizza rolls in one flat layer without any overlap or touching, otherwise you’ll end up with an unevenly cooked product.
- Brush the pizza rolls with olive oil to ensure they get crispy. You can also substitute for canola or another flavourless vegetable oil.
- Begin cooking the air fryer pizza rolls with the envelope side down. This will ensure the seal is cooked together and doesn’t open up during the first 8-10 minutes of cooking. Flip the pizza rolls so the envelope side is facing up for the last few minutes of cooking.
- We always use shredded mozzarella for this recipe as it melts well and is so stringy. You can get all fancy and slice fresh mozzarella products like bocconcini, fior di latte or burrata.
- Our recipe mimics classic pepperoni pizza. You can adjust the sauce, cheese and toppings to reflect your favourite flavour combinations. Other suggestions include pesto, parmesan and sun-dried tomatoes or barbecue sauce, cheddar and roast chicken.
What To Serve With Air Fryer Pizza Rolls
Homemade Air Fryer Pizza Rolls can be enjoyed as a snack, as a hearty lunch or as a side dish to an Italian American dinner.
For a healthy meal we suggest serving pizza rolls with fresh salads like Roasted Pumpkin Feta Salad, Roasted Beetroot Salad, Warm Orzo Lemon Salad, Canadian Salad, Garlic Lemon Chickpea Avocado Salad, Cherry Pecan Kale Salad or Fennel, Apple, Celery and Roasted Hazelnut Salad.
After dinner why not dazzle your guests with one of our popular desserts such as Oat Flour Cookies with Chocolate Chips, Dark Chocolate Lindt Lindor Cookies, Maraschino Cherry Cupcakes Recipe, Cinnamon Babka For Chocolate Lovers, Rhubarb Strawberry Dutch Baby or Jordgubbstårta Swedish Strawberry Cake.
You May Also Enjoy Reading…
- How to Make Crispy and Healthy Oven Baked Sweet Potato Fries
- Healthy Oven Baked Sweet Potato Recipe
- Homemade Baked Chicken Cracklings
- Kiymali Pide Spiced Minced Meat Turkish Pizza
- Swedish Sandwich Cake Smorgastarta Recipe
- Kardemummabullar Swedish Cardamom Buns
- Crispy Gruyere Grilled Cheese
- Best Sourdough Discard Recipes
- How To Make Jewish Cinnamon Babka For Chocolate Lovers
- Cheesy Garlic Pull-Apart Bread
- Air Fryer Garlic Bread
- Air Fryer Popcorn
Best Easy Air Fryer Pizza Rolls Recipe
Air Fryer Pizza Rolls
- Air Fryer
- cheese grater
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- Pastry brush
- 3/4 cups Pepperoni sliced
- 20 Egg Roll Wrappers
- 1/2 cup Marinara Sauce
- 1.5 cups Mozzarella Cheese shredded
- 1/4 cup Fresh Basil
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil
- Preheat Air Fryer to 350 F.
- Place an egg roll wrapper on the kitchen counter so it is oriented like a diamond.
- Add 1 tsp marinara sauce, 2 tbsp mozzarella cheese and 1 tsp cooked pepperoni (2 slices) to the bottom third of the egg roll wrapper. Place one or two basil leaves on top.
- Assemble pizza rolls like an egg roll by lifting the southern point to the halfway point, then tucking over the left and right sides of the wrapper. Finish by rolling upwards so the package looks like an envelope.
- Brush olive oil over the top of the egg rolls.
- Place pizza rolls into air fryer and cook for 6-7 minutes. Flip and bake for an additional 2-3 minutes.
Some of the links in this story use affiliate links. This means that if you make a purchase through our site, dobbernationLOVES will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps us to produce comprehensive content.
Save this story to Pinterest!