Air Fryer Bone In Pork Chops are our favourite summer barbecue-inspired entree to enjoy with family and friends.
Our healthy keto Air Fryer Bone In Pork Chops recipe is one of our favourite quick & easy homemade dishes to cook when a craving for a meaty main course hits!
Our simple Air Fryer recipe takes less than 20 minutes to prepare and cook. It features common pantry ingredients like brown sugar, paprika, salt, pepper, ground mustard, onion powder, garlic powder and olive oil.
Save this story to Pinterest!
What Are Bone In Pork Chops?
A pork chop, like other meat chops, is a loin cut taken perpendicular to the spine of the pig and is usually a rib or part of a vertebra.
Pork chops are unprocessed and leaner than other cuts. Chops are commonly served as an individual portion.
Take a trip to the butcher counter and you may notice two major types of pork chops—boneless and bone-in. Is one pork chop tastier or easier to cook than the other? What exactly is the difference?
My local butcher shared, “there are subtle flavour and textural differences, but the type of pork chop you ultimately buy comes down to personal preference and how you intend to use it. Some of my customers prefer the convenience of a boneless pork chop, while others prefer the fuller flavor of a bone-in pork chop.”
The two most common types of bone-in pork chops you’ll find are rib chops and center-cut chops. The blade chop, while less common, is another type of bone-in chop that comes from the shoulder end of the loin.
Pork rib chops are less expensive than center-cut chops or boneless pork chops, but they also contain the least amount of meat overall. Because of the bone, a rib chop appears larger in size than a boneless chop, but it may contain a fair amount of fat.
Join Dobbernationloves founder Andrew Dobson in the kitchen by signing up for a fun virtual cooking class! Classes begin with a cocktail that you can sip while preparing 2-3 recipes that are curated around a unique culinary theme. Check out our current Cooking Class Schedule!
Travel to Germany by Making Bone In Pork Chops at Home
I love traveling to Europe.
As a professional food and travel journalist, I’ve had the opportunity to enjoy amazing meals in Europe, from traditional markets to award winning restaurants.
For over ten years, I’ve been on the hunt for the best pork chops recipe. I’ve embarked on culinary adventures at German restaurants throughout Western Europe in Holland, Belgium, Luxembourg, France, Switzerland and Austria.
On a road trip of Germany, I’ve sliced through massive pork chops at restaurants in Freiburg, Berlin, Ahrenshoop, Hamburg, Spreewald, Potsdam, Dresden, Leipzig, Frankfurt, Cochem, Mettlach, Nennig, Dusseldorf, Cologne, Munich, Koblenz and Rudesheim.
The first time I ever ate German bone in pork chops was during a memorable first meal in Munich. An oversized plate arrived at my table featuring a massive pork chop, fermented pickles and two plump German Bacon Dumplings and German Potato Dumplings. Be sure to quench your thirst with a large pint of fresh beer!
After you’ve enjoyed your first taste, you’ll realize why traditional beer hall-style Pork Chops are a must-try when visiting Germany!
Where To Eat Pork Chops
If you live in a large city in Canada or America you’ll likely have access to a local German or American barbecue restaurant that serves sizzling bone in pork chops.
Visit a popular barbecue restaurant in your hometown to get an idea of what size of pork chops to buy, spices to include in your rub and the best side dishes to serve beside each chop.
In Toronto, we did research on the best Toronto steakhouses, sampling the city’s finest bone-in pork chops. Our favourite barbecue restaurants include Adamson Barbecue Restaurant, Bootleg Smokehouse, Carbon Bar, Cherry Street Bar-B-Que, Barque Smokehouse, Beach Hill Smokehouse and Stockyards Smokehouse and Larder.
My Family Loves Air Fryer Bone In Pork Chops
My family loves barbecue pork chops!
My father is well known for his obsession with barbecued meats. When I was a kid, bone-in pork chops were often served during busy weeks when last minute dinners were all the rage.
We often enjoyed pork chops in the summer for dinner at our family cottage in Muskoka. My mom would often serve grilled pork chops with fresh salads, sourdough bread and pasta.
Now that we’ve upgraded our kitchen with the trendiest new gadget we love making Air Fryer Bone In Pork Chops.
Preparing Bone In Pork Chops in an Air Fryer is a modern day marvel for home cooks looking to enjoy a barbecue flavours while cooking indoors. Air Fryers cook food much quicker and help ensure pork chops are crispy on the outside and moist and tender on the inside.
Best Air Fryers
An air fryer is a small countertop convection oven designed to simulate deep frying without submerging the food in oil. A fan circulates hot air at high speed, producing a crisp layer via browning reactions.
In 2010, Philips introduced the Airfryer brand of convection oven at a consumer electronics fair in Berlin. It used the patented Rapid Air technology, though the term air fryer is now used generically.
Early air fryers were barrel-shaped, though more recently, many have come to resemble toaster ovens and pressure cookers, offering additional functions like toasting, baking, dehydrating and rotisserie.
A decade after their launch, Air Fryers are now one of the trendiest kitchen appliance. They are particularly popular with gourmands living in condos or apartments in big cities like Toronto as they reduce the number of appliances taking up space in your kitchen.
- Hamilton Beach: I tested this recipe with a Hamilton Beach toaster oven-style air fryer. They are an excellent option for those looking for an affordable air fryer and I particularly like mine as it allowed me to replace my toaster, dehydrator and rotisserie. It’s also easier to spread food out and make it crispy by using a baking tray rather than a basket.
- Instant Vortex: This popular air fryer is brought to you by the inventors of the popular Instant Pot. It’s 6 quart capacity features an easy to clean tray that air frys, roasts and bakes.
- COSORI: This 5.8 quart air fryer is an 11-in-1 cooker featuring a nonstick basket and helpful shake reminder setting.
- Ninja: This premium brand is the perfect option for those looking to invest in a heavy duty stainless steel air fryer. The product has been designed to look similar to an Instant Pot, with the top of the air fryer flipping backwards so you can easily lower a basket filled with food.
- NuWave: This sleek digital air fryer features a traditional removable basket and reaches temperatures up to 390 F.
How To Make Air Fryer Bone In Pork Chops
Our Air Fryer Bone In Pork Chops recipe is so easy to make you’ll have it ready to serve in under 20 minutes!
There are two methods to making bone in pork chops in an air fryer, which depend on the style of air fryer you are using.
- Traditional Basket: air fryers with a removable basket are still the most common. In order to make Air Fryer Bone In Pork Chops in these machines, simply place the seasoned meat in the bottom of the basket and cook.
- Toaster Oven Tray: modern air fryers featuring a glass door and tray configuration make it easy to prepare pork chops at home. Simply place the bone in pork chops on the air fryer tray and cook. You’ll have the added benefit of being able to watch the pork chops sizzle by peaking through the glass door.
Air Fryer Bone In Pork Chops Cooking Tips
- If you’re serving frozen bone-in pork chops, thaw them in the fridge overnight so they are ready to cook on the night of your dinner.
- Use paper towel to pat dry the exterior of the pork chops before adding the spice rub.
- You can make simple bone in pork chops in an air fryer by spraying the meat with olive oil cooking spray and sprinkling with salt and pepper.
- Add a smoky flavour to your pork chops by adding a few drops of liquid mesquite smoke.
- If you only have access to boneless pork chops, simply reduce the cooking time by 2-3 minutes and keep an eye on them so they don’t overcook.
- Serve cooked pork chops individually on each plate or slice pork chops and serve on top of fresh salads or pasta for extra protein.
What To Serve With Pork Chops
Air Fryer Bone In Pork Chops are best enjoyed as a hearty lunch or dinner entree.
If you’re planning a summer barbecue potluck or dinner party menu pair Air Fryer Bone in Pork Chops with Cheesy Vegetarian Antojito, Healthy Keto Jalapeno Poppers and Guasacaca Sauce.
For a healthy meal we suggest serving Air Fryer Bone In Pork Chops with fresh salads like Roasted Pumpkin Feta Salad, Roasted Beetroot Salad, Warm Orzo Lemon Salad, Canadian Salad, Garlic Lemon Chickpea Avocado Salad, Cherry Pecan Kale Salad or Fennel, Apple, Celery and Roasted Hazelnut Salad, Egyptian Vegan Salata Baladi, Mizeria Creamy Polish Cucumber Salad, Lebanese Eggplant Fatteh, Citrus “Rojak” Singapore Salad or Laos Papaya Salad Tum Mak Hoong.
After dinner why not dazzle your guests with one of our popular desserts such as Oat Flour Cookies with Chocolate Chips, Dark Chocolate Lindt Lindor Cookies, Maraschino Cherry Cupcakes Recipe, Cinnamon Babka For Chocolate Lovers, Rhubarb Strawberry Dutch Baby, Jordgubbstårta Swedish Strawberry Cake, Flaky Swedish Rhubarb Cherry Pie, Crispy & Chewy Gay Pride Skittles Sugar Cookies or Lemon Lavender Shortbread Cookies.
You May Also Enjoy These Air Fryer Recipes…
- Healthy Vegan Roasted Garlic in Air Fryer
- Cheesy Bacon Air Fryer Potato Skins
- Easy Crispy Air Fried Cornish Hen
- Viral TikTok Air Fryer Pasta Chips
- Smoky BBQ Bone In Air Fryer Pork Ribs
- Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Drumsticks
- Easy Homemade Air Fryer Pizza Rolls
- Easy Frozen Sweet Potato Fries In Air Fryer
- Frozen Chicken Fingers Tenders & Strips In Air Fryer
- Easy Frozen Onion Rings In Air Fryer
- Easy Frozen Burgers In Air Fryer
- Frozen Eggo Waffles In Air Fryer
- Easy Homemade Air Fryer Nachos
- Easy Cheesy Garlic Bread In Air Fryer
- Easy Homemade Air Fryer Popcorn
Best Air Fryer Bone In Pork Chops Recipe
Air Fryer Bone In Pork Chops
- Air Fryer
- measuring spoons
- mixing bowl
- 3 Bone-in Pork Chops 1 1/2-2 inches thick
- 3 tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1.5 tbsp Paprika
- 1.5 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1.5 tsp Black Pepper
- 1.5 tsp Ground Mustard
- 1.5 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- Preheat air fryer to 400 F.
- Pat dry pork chops with paper towel.
- In a small bowl, mix together all the dry ingredients.
- Coat bone-in pork chops with olive oil and rub over the spice mix with your hands.
- Cook bone-in pork chops in air fryer for 12 minutes, flipping pork chops over after 6 minutes.
Some of the links in this story use affiliate links. This means that if you make a purchase through our site, dobbernationLOVES will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps us to produce comprehensive content.
Save this story to Pinterest!