Find yourself Googling, “Best Frozen Onion Rings in Air Fryer?”
Our Air Fryer Onion Rings recipe is one of our favourite quick & easy snacks or side dishes to cook when making burgers, steaks or barbecue.
Our simple Air Fryer recipe takes less than 20 minutes to cook, a perfect addition to a barbecue or kids birthday.
We suggest serving Frozen Air Fryer Onion Rings with dips like mayonnaise, ketchup, mustard, Thai Sweet Chili Sauce, honey or barbecue sauce.
Save this story to Pinterest!
History of Onion Rings
Onions Rings are an appetizer or side dish commonly served in the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, and some parts of Asia, mainland Europe, and Latin America.
They generally consist of a cross-sectional “ring” of onion dipped in batter or bread crumbs and then deep fried. While typically served as a side dish, onion rings are often eaten by themselves as a snack. The cooking process decomposes propanethial oxide in the onion into the sweet-smelling and tasting bispropenyl disulfide, responsible for the slightly sweet taste of onion rings.
The exact origins of deep-fried onion rings are unknown. A recipe for onions that are dipped in milk then dredged in flour and deep-fried appeared in a 1933 advertisement for Crisco vegetable shortening in The New York Times Magazine.
One claimant to the invention of the onion ring is the Kirby’s Pig Stand restaurant chain, founded in Oak Cliff, Texas in the early 1920s. The once-thriving chain, whose heyday in the 1940s saw over 100 locations across the United States, also claims to be the originator of Texas toast.
Best Frozen Onion Rings in Air Fryer
Take a stroll down your grocery store freezer aisle and you’ll find many brands offering frozen onion rings to cook at home in your air fryer.
In the US popular frozen onion ring brands include Costco, Red Robin, Great Value, Everyday Value, Trader Joe’s, Brew City Beer, Market Pantry, Ore-Ida, Nathan’s and Alexia.
In Canada we love frozen onion rings made by Alexia All Natural and Cavendish Farms, from Prince Edward Island.
If you’re looking for specialty frozen onion rings be sure to visit the health food aisle in your grocery store where you’ll find gluten onion rings, frozen organic onion rings, keto friendly onion rings, vegan and vegetarian friendly onion rings and more!
Best Air Fryers
An air fryer is a small countertop convection oven designed to simulate deep frying without submerging the food in oil. A fan circulates hot air at high speed, producing a crisp layer via browning reactions.
In 2010, Philips introduced the Airfryer brand of convection oven at a consumer electronics fair in Berlin. It used the patented Rapid Air technology, though the term air fryer is now used generically.
Early air fryers were barrel-shaped, though more recently, many have come to resemble toaster ovens and pressure cookers, offering additional functions like toasting, baking, dehydrating and rotisserie.
A decade after their launch, Air Fryers are now one of the trendiest kitchen appliance. They are particularly popular with gourmands living in condos or apartments in big cities like Toronto as they reduce the number of appliances taking up space in your kitchen.
- Hamilton Beach: I tested this recipe with a Hamilton Beach toaster oven-style air fryer. They are an excellent option for those looking for an affordable air fryer and I particularly like mine as it allowed me to replace my toaster, dehydrator and rotisserie. It’s also easier to spread food out and make it crispy by using a baking tray rather than a basket.
- Instant Vortex: This popular air fryer is brought to you by the inventors of the popular Instant Pot. It’s 6 quart capacity features an easy to clean tray that air frys, roasts and bakes.
- COSORI: This 5.8 quart air fryer is an 11-in-1 cooker featuring a nonstick basket and helpful shake reminder setting.
- Ninja: This premium brand is the perfect option for those looking to invest in a heavy duty stainless steel air fryer. The product has been designed to look similar to an Instant Pot, with the top of the air fryer flipping backwards so you can easily lower a basket filled with food.
- NuWave: This sleek digital air fryer features a traditional removable basket and reaches temperatures up to 390 F.
My Family Loves Frozen Burgers In Air Fryer
My family is obsessed with eating crispy onion rings.
My father is well known for his obsession with onion rings, which he always orders as a side dish at Harvey’s with a burger.
He also loves the Bloomin’ Onions at Outback Steakhouse and has a penchant for putting caramelized onions on burgers, pizza and creamy sauces.
I spent several months researching and writing this article on the Best Steakhouses in Toronto, sampling the city’s finest onion rings served alongside filet mignon and juicy ribeye.
If you’re looking to make Air Fryer Frozen Onion Rings at home we suggest serving them in the summer at a fun family barbecue. Grill some burgers or steaks on the BBQ and serve with crunchy and crispy frozen onion rings cooked in an air fryer.
You might also want to serve grilled meat and seafood with fresh salads and deep fried side dishes like french fries and sweet potato fries.
Now that we’ve upgraded our kitchen with the trendiest new gadget we love making Frozen Onion Rings in an Air Fryer.
Cooking Frozen Onion Rings in an Air Fryer is a modern day marvel for home cooks who have a penchant for serving decadent hamburger or steak feasts. Air Fryers cook food much quicker and help ensure frozen onion rings are crispy, moist and delicious!
How To Make Frozen Onion Rings in Air Fryer
Our air fryer frozen onion rings recipe is so easy to make you’ll have it ready to serve in under 20 minutes!
There are two methods to making frozen onion rings in an air fryer, which depend on the style of device you are using.
- Traditional Basket: air fryers with a removable basket are still the most common. In order to make Air Fryer frozen onion rings in these machines, simply lower each battered onion ring into the basket. Ensure the rings aren’t crowded and don’t touch. This will ensure the onions are crispy and uniformly cooked.
- Toaster Oven Tray: modern air fryers featuring a glass door and tray configuration make it easy to prepare frozen onion rings in an air fryer at home. Simply place the coated rings on the tray and watch them brown and get crispy through the glass door.
Onion Ring Dips
We love serving Air Fryer Onion Rings as a quick & easy snack or side dish with grilled meats or burgers.
You can play things simple by enjoying them on their own, or offer guests a variety of dips. Our favourite Onion Ring dips include:
- Barbecue Sauce
- Ranch Dressing
- Sour Cream
- Hot Sauce
- Thai Sweet Chili Sauce
Air Fryer Onion Rings Cooking Tips
- Place the frozen onion rings in one flat layer without any overlap or touching, otherwise you’ll end up with an unevenly cooked and potentially soggy product.
- Lightly mist onion rings with cooking spray to ensure they are extra crispy.
- We love serving onion rings at DIY burger or steak dinner parties. Kids love making burgers with lots of toppings to choose from at birthday parties. Or for an adult crowd, grill several different cuts of beef and provide different sauces like chimichurri, bearnaise and blue cheese.
- You can cook frozen or fresh onion rings in an air fryer. If the onion rings have thawed reduce the total cooking time by a few minutes and be sure to keep an eye on them so they don’t burn.
- If you’re looking to serve an eye-popping decadent appetizer to guests make this yummy Onion Ring Nachos recipe.
What To Serve With Frozen Onion Rings in Air Fryer
Air Fryer Frozen Onion Rings are a quick & easy snack to prepare last minute and can be simply enjoyed alone or with healthy carrots and celery.
If you want to enjoy onion rings as a more substantial meal feel free to serve them juicy burger or grilled steaks on the barbecue.
They also pair well with fresh salads and deep fried side dishes like french fries, sweet potato fries or onion rings.
We love serving this crispy onion rings recipe with homemade healthy salads like Vegetarian Lebanese Eggplant Fatteh, Citrus “Rojak” Singapore Salad, Roasted Pumpkin Feta Salad with Beetroot & Pine Nuts, Roasted Beetroot Salad with Grapefruit, Canadian Salad, Cajun Spicy Chorizo Corn Salad, Cherry Pecan Kale Salad, or Garlic Lemon Chickpea Avocado Salad.
After dinner why not dazzle your guests with one of our popular desserts such as Oat Flour Cookies with Chocolate Chips, Dark Chocolate Lindt Lindor Cookies, Maraschino Cherry Cupcakes Recipe, Cinnamon Babka For Chocolate Lovers, Rhubarb Strawberry Dutch Baby or Jordgubbstårta Swedish Strawberry Cake.
You May Also Enjoy Reading…
- How to Make Crispy and Healthy Oven Baked Sweet Potato Fries
- Swedish Sandwich Cake: Easy Homemade Smorgastarta
- Crispy Gruyere Grilled Cheese
- Homemade Lebanese Kibbeh Fried Beef Croquette Recipe
- Healthy Vegetarian Malai Kofta Recipe
- Grabong Northern Thai Pumpkin Fritter Recipe
- Best Calgary Ginger Beef Recipe
- Homemade Shrimp & Pork Vietnamese Egg Rolls
- White BBQ Turkey Sandwiches with Jalapeno and Pickles
- How To Make a Christmas and Thanksgiving Turkey Cranberry Sandwich
- Best Sourdough Discard Recipes
- Air Fryer Popcorn
Best Frozen Onion Rings Recipe
Frozen Onion Rings In Air Fryer
- Air Fryer
- 1 kg Frozen Onion Rings
- Preheat air fryer to 400 F.
- Place frozen onion rings in the air fryer and spread out evenly. The onion rings should not touch, ensuring a crispy result rather than soggy or soft product.
- Cook for 10 minutes. Shake or flip onion rings at the 5-6 minute mark to ensure even frying.
- Remove onion rings once they have browned and have crisped up nicely.
- Serve immediately with your favourite dips.
Some of the links in this story use affiliate links. This means that if you make a purchase through our site, dobbernationLOVES will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps us to produce comprehensive content.
Save this story to Pinterest!