Chickpea Chocolate Chip Cookies are one of our favorite healthy vegan flourless gluten free sweets to enjoy as a snack or dessert.
Our quick & easy Flourless Chickpea Cookies feature a moist dough made with pureed garbanzo beans, tahini and peanut butter. The cookies are crunchy thanks to the addition of roasted peanuts and vegan chocolate chips.
We love baking homemade Chickpea Chocolate Chip Cookies as a healthy snack or dessert for kids. It’s a great way to add additional protein to the diet when craving a sweet treat.
The gluten free flourless vegan recipe features flavourful ingredients like cooked chickpeas, tahini, peanut butter, honey, maple syrup, oats, brown sugar, vanilla extract, baking soda, vegan chocolate chips and roasted peanuts.
Save this story to Pinterest!
What Are Vegan Flourless Chickpea Chocolate Chip Cookies?
There’s nothing more satisfying than biting into a warm chocolate chip cookie straight out of the oven.
Our most popular cookie recipes feature chocolate. Family favourites include Oat Flour Cookies with Chocolate Chips, Dark Chocolate Lindt Lindor Cookies and Oatmeal Chocolate Toffee Walnut Cookies.
My vegan and gluten free friends challenged me to develop a cookie recipe that they could enjoy for dessert that was moist and didn’t taste like a “health food hockey puck.”
These cookies are gluten free flourless and still hold their shape thanks to the textural components of pureed chickpeas and oatmeal. When baked, the cookie dough holds together so they keep their shape and don’t fall apart.
Most chocolate chip cookie recipes feature butter and eggs, in order to make Vegan Chickpea Cookies I used creamy peanut butter and tahini to add healthy fats to the dough.
The recipe also features natural sweeteners like honey and maple syrup. Molasses in the brown sugar ensures the Chickpea Chocolate Chip Cookies are chewy once cooled and ready to eat.
Where To Eat Chickpea Chocolate Chip Cookies
If you live in a large city in Canada or America you’ll likely have access to a local vegan or gluten free bakery that serves delicious Chickpea Chocolate Chip Cookies.
If you regularly bake vegan desserts or flourless gluten free sweets it’s helpful to sample an assortment of cookies, muffins, cakes and pies from a local bakery that specializes in your dietary requirements. The flavour combinations and unique ingredient substitutions they use can help inspire you in your own kitchen.
In Toronto you may find Vegan Chickpea Cookies at speciality bakeries and pastry shops like Bunner’s Bakeshop, Bloomer’s, Almond Butterfly, Tori’s Bakeshop, Kensington Natural Bakery, The Butternut Baking Co and Sweet Hart Kitchen.
My Family Loves Flourless Chickpea Cookies
My family loves baking cookies.
Since I was a little kid my mother would bake homemade cookies and squares for special occasions. We always looked forward to oatmeal chocolate chip cookies in the summer, festive shortbread at Christmas and mini meringues at Easter.
My father’s favourite cookies are Dad’s Chocolate Chip Oatmeal. While he was at work one day I baked these healthy Vegan Chickpea Cookies and presented them to him as a snack when he got home to see what he thought.
I didn’t tell him they were flourless gluten free or vegan, which he would likely stick his nose up to. I can just imagine his response, “chickpeas in my cookie batter?!”
To my delight and surprise he loved these moist flourless chickpea cookies and was majorly surprised when I informed him they were vegan and flourless. He couldn’t believe the dough was prepared with pureed garbanzo beans, “I can’t even taste the chickpeas,” he exclaimed!
Vegan Chickpea Cookies Health Benefits
Our Chickpea Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe is packed full of healthy ingredients!
Chickpeas are rich in cancer-fighting vitamin C, energy-boosting B vitamins, and gut-healthy fibre.
A useful source of copper, calcium, manganese, and phosphorus, sesame seeds in tahini help support circulatory, digestive and skeletal health.
Peanuts are rich in protein, fat, and fibre. While peanuts may have a large amount of fat, most of the fats they contain are known as “good fats.”
Proving more soluble fibre than any other grain, oats also contain slow-release, low-GI carbohydrates. Oats are also rich in beta-glucan, which helps reduce high cholesterol and maintain blood sugar levels, and vitamin B1, which helps your body convert food into energy.
Chickpea Chocolate Chip Cookies Baking Tips
Flourless Chickpea Cookies are fun to make at home. We’ve included a few tips for first time bakers!
- Prepare the cookie dough in a food processor to ensure the chickpeas puree perfectly smooth.
- You can prepare these Vegan Chickpea Cookies using dried garbanzo beans (which you need to soak, cook and cool before using) or canned garbanzo beans drained from their liquid.
- We’ve used smooth peanut butter in this recipe but you could substitute for chunky peanut butter for additional crunch.
- We’ve used smaller quick oats for this recipe but you could substitute for whole oats.
- You can buy vegan chocolate chips online or at your local health food store.
- Feel free to prepare the chickpea cookie dough in advance and store it in the fridge for 1 or 2 days until you’re ready to bake.
What To Serve with Chickpea Chocolate Chip Cookies
We love serving these Vegan Chickpea Cookies as a healthy midday snack or dessert.
They can be enjoyed year round on their own or as part of a potluck dessert table.
If you’re hosting a special celebration like a birthday party you might want to make homemade ice cream sandwiches by smushing two Chickpea Chocolate Chip Cookies between your favourite ice cream or frozen yogurt.
We also love to serve Flourless Chickpea Cookies as a healthy sweet at afternoon tea or a coffee break.
What Do Vegan Chickpea Cookies Taste Like?
If it’s your first time tasting Chickpea Cookies you might scratch your head and wonder if they taste like beans.
My father had no clue when he devoured his cookie that they were healthy, flourless and vegan.
Chickpeas take on a nutty flavour when baked and when combined with peanut butter and tahini you can’t taste any trace of garbanzo when biting into these cookies.
The pureed chickpeas in the cookie dough create a crunchy exterior and soft and moist interior.
The addition of vegan chocolate chips and roasted peanuts offers a nice crunchy textural contrast to the soft cookie.
The overall flavour profile of these healthy Chickpea Cookies is nutty chocolate.
Storing Flourless Chickpea Cookies
Chickpea Chocolate Chip Cookies have a higher protein content than the average cookie recipe as they feature cooked chickpeas and tahini.
If you’re making a batch of 24 cookies and know they’ll all be consumed within 2-3 days simply store them in a ziplock bag or airtight container in the fridge.
If you have leftovers immediately freeze the cookies you know you won’t eat in the next day or two to keep them fresh. Simply remove them from the freezer when ready to eat and bake them in your toaster oven for a minute to warm them up.
You May Also Enjoy These Dessert Recipes…
- Fresh Fig Frangipane Pistachio Tartlets
- Caribbean Coconut Rum Banana Bread Bundt Cake
- Blueberry Lemon Muffin Tops
- Sweet Lebanese Sesame Tahini Rolls
- Buckwheat Gluten Free Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Skittles Sugar Cookies
- Lemon Lavender Shortbread Cookies
- Gevulde Speculaas Dutch Cherry Almond Spice Cookies
- Kardemummabullar Swedish Cardamom Buns
- Chewy Easter Toffee Cadbury Mini Egg Cookie Bars
- Healthy Oatmeal Cranberry Cookies
- Swedish Ricotta Oatmeal Rhubarb Bars Recipe
- Homemade Flaky Swedish Rhubarb Cherry Pie Recipe
- Creamy Lemon Angel Pie Recipe
- Cranberry Rhubarb Meringue Pie
- Moist Baileys Banoffee Cake Recipe
- Turmeric Pumpkin Spice Indian Cake Recipe
- Jordgubbstårta Gluten Free Swedish Strawberry Meringue Cake
- Tuscan Black Forest Brownie Zuccotto Cake
How To Make Chickpea Chocolate Chip Cookies Video
Flourless Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Chickpea Cookies
- Baking sheets
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- mixing bowl
- Cookie Scoop
- Food processor
- 1 3/4 cup Cooked Chickpeas washed and drained
- 1 tbsp Tahini
- 1 cup Peanut Butter
- 1/4 cup Honey
- 1/4 cup Maple Syrup
- 1/3 cup Oats
- 1/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1.5 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 cup Chocolate Chips
- 1/2 cup Roasted Peanuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or Silpat.
- Add chickpeas, tahini, peanut butter, honey, and maple syrup to a food processor and blend until smooth. Transfer to a medium-sized bowl.
- Add oats, brown sugar, vanilla extract, baking soda, chocolate chips and roasted peanuts. The dough should be damp and sticky.
- Drop chickpea cookie dough onto prepared baking sheets using a tablespoon and bake for 12-15 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool on racks for 10 minutes before serving.
Some of the links in this story use affiliate links. This means that if you make a purchase through our site, Dobbernationloves will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps us to produce comprehensive content.
Save this story to Pinterest!