Sausage Stuffed Apples is our favourite healthy low carb keto brunch recipe.
The quick and easy breakfast recipe is prepared with affordable ingredients. Transform a simple baked apple into a delicious savoury dish everyone in your family will love.
You’ll be enjoying homemade Baked Keto Apples in just minutes! Our step by step recipe shows you how to prepare a wholesome and delicious morning meal that even the kids will have fun preparing.
Our Sausage Stuffed Apples feature flavourful ingredients like Gala apples, olive oil, salt & pepper, breakfast sausage, bourbon whiskey, maple syrup and shredded cheddar cheese.
Save this story to Pinterest!
What Are Keto Apples?
The ketogenic diet (or keto diet, for short) is a low-carb, high-fat diet that offers many health benefits. Over 20 studies show that this type of diet can help you lose weight and improve your health.
A keto diet involves reducing carbohydrate intake and replacing it with fat. This reduction in carbs puts your body into a metabolic state called ketosis. When this happens, your body becomes efficient at burning fat for energy. It also turns fat into ketones in the liver, which can supply energy for the brain.
Ketogenic diets can cause significant reductions in blood sugar and insulin levels. This, along with the increased ketones, has numerous health benefits.
Looking for a Keto friendly brunch or breakfast recipe? Our Keto Apples are low in carbohydrates and high in fat and protein.
You May Also Enjoy These Keto Recipes…
- Vegan Keto Za’atar Butter Bean Dip Recipe
- Keto Jalapeno Poppers Recipe
- Keto Brussels Sprouts with Bacon Recipe
- Keto Spinach Dip Recipe
Where To Eat Sausage Stuffed Apples
Sausage Stuffed Apples are popular throughout North America. It’s believed the flavour pairing was brought over by German and Austrian immigrants who share a culinary history famous for indulging in plump bratwurst, fresh cheeses and Apfelkuchen (Apple Cake).
It may be helpful to first sample Keto Apples at a local restaurant to better understand how they are served before cooking them at home from scratch. You’ll get an idea for the ideal apple to sausage ratio, what types of cheese to melt on top and other healthy breakfast dishes to serve at the table.
In Toronto, popular brunch restaurants that may serve Sausage Stuffed Apples include Emma’s Country Kitchen, Cluny Bistro, The Drake Hotel, Duke’s Refresher, Toca, CRAFT Beer Market, Taverna Mercatto, Earls King Street, Fabarnak, Insomnia Cafe, Lady Marmalade, Saving Grace, Marben Restaurant, Bonjour Brioche, Starving Artist Waffle Espresso Bar, Mildred’s Temple Kitchen, School Bakery and Cafe, Easy Restaurant, and Le Petit Dejeuner.
My Family Loves Healthy Keto Apples
I developed this low carb baked apple recipe during the festive holiday season.
I knew my family would love this savoury breakfast dish as they always enjoy recipes made with apples, sausage and cheese.
Growing up my mother would often stuffed apples that she’d heat in the microwave, which was dare I say trendy at the time. She’d remove the core of the apple and then stuff the interio with a mixture of brown sugar, cinnamon and raisins.
You can enjoy Keto Apples year round, but I particularly like to bake these Sausage Stuffed Apples between Fall Thanksgiving harvest season and the Christmas holidays.
This is peak apple season in Ontario. When the weather gets cool there’s nothing more comforting than a piping hot apple straight out of the oven!
We often serve baked apples as a simple breakfast but you can also serve them on a platter as a side dish at dinner to accompany a roast.
Sausage Stuffed Apples Cooking Tips
Our Keto Apples recipe is quick and easy to make at home. We’ve included a few tips:
- We suggest using a large nonstick skillet to prepare the sausage and apple filling.
- We’ve used Gala Apples in this recipe but can use any of your favourite local apple varieties. Just make sure you purchase large apples so there is plenty of room to stuff them with the sausage filling.
- We’ve used store bought breakfast sausage but you could make your own homemade sausage.
- We’ve used pork sausage as it is a traditional pairing with apples and cheddar but you can substitue for chicken or beef sausage if you prefer.
- We’ve added a splash of bourbon whisky to the recipe to add additional flavour but you can substitue for Irish Whiskey or Scotch. Or leave the booze out entirely.
- We’ve used cheddar cheese in this recipe but you could substitute for Brie, Gouda, Blue Cheese, Gruyere, Jarlsberg, Boursin, Parmigiano Reggiano, Camembert, Gorgonzola, Manchego, Beemster XO or Mimolette.
- In our recipe we add the cheese just before serving but you could also melt the cheese over the apples when they are baking in the oven. Both methods taste great!
- If you have leftovers simply reheated in a toaster oven or air fryer to warm them up.
Keto Apples Health Benefits
Our Keto Apples are packed full of healthy ingredients!
A useful source of vitamins C, K and B6, apples support your immune, skeletal, and circulatory systems. Phytochemicals in apples may also keep your eyes healthy and help reduce bad cholesterol.
Olive Oil is ranked as one of the healthiest fats and is a staple in the Mediterranean diet. It contains vitamins E and K and plenty of beneficial fatty acids and antioxidants.
Pork is an excellent source of protein and provides several important vitamins and minerals. It’s an excellent source of thiamin, selenium, niacin, vitamin B-6 and phosphorus, zinc, riboflavin and potassium.
Consuming dairy products (such as milk and cheese) provides health benefits — especially improved bone health. Dairy foods provide nutrients that are vital for health and maintenance of your body. These nutrients include calcium, potassium, vitamin D, and protein.
What To Serve withSausage Stuffed Apples
There’s nothing more comforting than cozying up to savoury Sausage Stuffed Apple straight out of the oven on a cold day.
We typically serve Keto Apples for breakfast or brunch, in the Fall and Winter, especially during Thanksgiving and Christmas. Keto Apples can also be served at dinner as a side dish to accompany a roast.
If you’re serving Baked Apples as an entree at breakfast we suggest serving them with a fresh salad like Toasted Pecan Parmesan Pear and Rocket Salad, Cambozola Currant Pear and Fennel Salad, Romaine Salad With Tahini Caesar Dressing, Vegetarian Roasted Pumpkin Feta Salad with Beetroot & Pine Nuts, Roasted Beetroot Salad with Grapefruit, Canadian Salad, Garlic Lemon Chickpea Avocado Salad, Cherry Pecan Kale Salad or Fennel, Apple, Celery and Roasted Hazelnut Salad.
You May Also Enjoy These Brunch Recipes…
- Kookoo Sabzi Vegetarian Persian Omelet
- Southern Smoked Baked Beans with Bacon
- Blueberry Lemon Muffin Tops
- Vegan Buckwheat Gluten Free Porridge
- Mihlama Kuymak Turkish Melted Cheese and Cornmeal
- Sourdough French Toast
- Frozen Eggo Waffles In Air Fryer
- Kardemummabullar Swedish Cardamom Buns
- Breakfast Polenta Bowl Recipe
- Blueberry Mango Crepes with Coconut Flour
- Banana Oat Flour Pancakes
- Chocolate Cherry Pancakes with Ricotta
- Baileys French Toast Recipe
- Marshmallow Fluff Fruit Dip
- Healthy Morning Glory Bread
How To Make Sausage Stuffed Apples Recipe
Sausage Stuffed Apples
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- French knife
- cheese grater
- baking sheet
- 3 Large Gala Apples
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- Kosher Salt
- Black Pepper
- 12 oz Breakfast Sausage casings removed
- 2 tbsp Bourbon
- 1 tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1/2 cup Cheddar Cheese shredded
- Preheat the oven to 375 F. Line a baking sheet with tin foil.
- Cut the apples in half lengthwise. Using a melon baller or small spoon, scoop out the pulp of each apple, leaving the shell intact. Discard the seeds and stems. Chop the apple pulp and set aside.
- Lightly coat the inside of each apple with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Lay the apple shells face down on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat remaining olive oil over medium heat. Remove breakfast sausage from casings and add meat to the skillet. Stir for 10 minutes, until browned.
- Add bourbon and maple syrup to the skillet and continue stirring until the whisky deglazes the skillet and liquid evaporates. Add chopped apple pulp and cook for 5 minutes. Remove skillet from the heat when cooked through.
- Fill each apple shell with stuffing, then return to baking sheet. Bake until the apples are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven. Transfer apples to serving plates and garnish with shredded cheddar cheese.
Some of the links in this story use affiliate links. This means that if you make a purchase through our site, Dobbernationloves will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps us to produce comprehensive content.
Save this story to Pinterest!