Taverna Mercatto is one of Toronto’s best Italian restaurants.
The popular restaurant is located in downtown Toronto, a short walk from the Delta Hotel, Union Station, CN Tower, Ripley’s Aquarium, Roger’s Centre, Metro Toronto Convention Centre, and Scotiabank Arena.
Mercatto Restaurants in Toronto
Fans of pizza, pasta and panna cotta have been woo’d by the Italian charms of the Mercatto restaurant brand for many years.
The rustic Italian restaurant company is a popular spot to dine in Toronto’s downtown core. Mercatto restaurant group currently manages six restaurants in Toronto.
- Cantina Mercatto: reinvents the underground wine cellar at 20 Wellington Street East.
- Trattoria Mercatto: located in the Toronto Eaton Centre and featurng a stellar patio.
- Locale Mercatto: a relaxed Italian vibe catering to Bay Street suit set.
- Taverna Mercatto: a nod to Nona’s living room located close to several of Toronto’s best attractions.
- Mercatto College: an homage to Italian hospitality in Toronto’s MaRS building.
- 330 Takeout by Mercatto: sandwich and healthy salad bowl options if you’re on the go.
Step Inside Taverna Mercatto
Taverna Mercatto’s interior was designed by Munge Leung with inspirations drawn from old world Italy. During brunch on the weekend the midday sun splashes into the dinning room, illuminating Gothic stained glass which cling to the cusp of the ceiling and barbed wire spun chandeliers which hang overhead.
Skip through the dining room and you’ll find barbed wire chandeliers from Prince Edward County, exposed beams and stained glass windows. Our favourite touch are the restaurants reclaimed chairs and church pews, which have been transformed into upholstered banquettes.
Taverna Mercatto also has an intimate private dining area capable of seating up to 24 people. Taverna Mercatto takes the cake for largest space in the popular Italian restaurant group. The restaurants entire space can accommodate 200 people, including an eye-catching bar.
Taverna Mercatto Menu
Doug Neigel is the Executive Chef responsible for managing Mercatto restaurant dynasty. He has spent a considerable portion of his past cooking in celebrated Yorkville kitchen’s such as the Park Hyatt, L’Unita and Malena.
I recently popped by for brunch where Chef Neigel enthusiastically described Mercatto’s newest offering, “The concept at Taverna is still true to the Mercatto brand, offering high quality product in an affordable and casual environment. At Taverna we brought more family style dishes into the mix and have also crafted a small plates menu at the bar. We also have our biggest wine and beer selection to give the game-goers at the Scotiabank Arena and Rogers Centre a good reason to stop by for a drink.”
Brunch at Taverna Mercatto
If you’re looking to enjoy a relaxing brunch in downtown Toronto, Taverna Mercatto has you covered.
Brunch at Taverna Italian restaurant is served Saturday and Sunday from 11am-4pm so even the late riser can find the time to enjoy a leisurely libation.
Taverna Mercatto Brunch Beverages
- Fresh Squeezed: orange or grapefruit juice.
- San Pellegrino Sparkling: aranciata, limonata, pompelmo, aranciata rossa.
- Blueberry Lime Smoothie: banana, milk.
- Green Apple Avocado Smoothie: kale, lemon, honey.
- Moonstruck: cazadores tequila, yellow chartreuse, maraschino, lemon, fresh orange juice.
- Mimosa: orange juice, prosseco.
- Mela e Miele: bacardi oakheart, calvados, honey, ginger beer
- Gin Buffon: bulleit rye, cocchi vermouth, vecchia romagna, benedictine
Taverna Mercatto Assaggi
- Avocado Toast: peperoncini, pickled onion, basil, olive oil
- Granola: yogurt, berries, compressed pineapple
- Misticanza: mixed lettuces, celery hearts, radish, aged sherry vinaigrette
- Oysters: freshly shucked, east coast
- Tuna Crudo: avocado, grapefruit, peperoncini, crispy shallot
- Scotch Egg: poached egg, fennel sausage, spicy tomato bomba
Taverna Mercatto Piatti
- Traditional Breakfast: two eggs any style, maple bacon, roasted tomato, homefries, sourdough
- Benny: soft poached eggs, peameal, hollandaise, homefries
- Ricotta Pancakes: dried apricot, maple syrup, pistachio
- Brioche French Toast: warm banana, brandy maple syrup, toasted walnuts, whipped cream
- Panino: fried egg, brioche, bacon, tomato pesto, arugula, patate fritte
- Prosciutto and Egg Pizza: two eggs, prosciutto, provolone, fingerling potato, caramelized onion, rosemary
- Sausage and Egg Pizza: two eggs, spicy sausage, pancetta, fior, san marzano tomato
- Insalata di Salmone: chilled salmon, romaine, broccoli, avocado, quinoa, leek, cider vinaigrette
- Bistecca and Egg: 6oz striploin, fried egg, fingerlings, tomato
- Taverna Burger: house ground short rib and brisket, fontina, mushroom duxelle, truffle crema
Other Italian Restaurants in Toronto
- Superpoint Italian Restaurant on Ossington
- Amano Italian Restaurant at Toronto’s Union Station
- Fabbrica Italian Restaurant at Don Mills
- Oretta Italian Restaurant on King West
- Figo Italian Restaurant in Toronto
- Piano Piano Italian Restaurant on Harbord Street
- Nodo Italian Restaurant in The Junction
Taverna Mercatto Hours
Monday to Wednesday: 11:30am-11pm
Thursday and Friday: 11:30am-12am
Taverna Mercatto Reservations
120 Bremner Boulevard, 416-368-9000