Can you cook frozen McCain home fries in an air fryer? Absolutely, it’s so easy!
Air Fryer Home Fries are one of our favourite quick & easy side dishes to serve at breakfast or brunch. Follow our simple recipe for air fried home fries and you’ll enjoy perfectly browned and crispy breakfast taters every morning you have a craving!
Our simple brunch recipe takes only a few minutes to cook because it uses frozen store bought home fries by McCain.
You can serve Air Fryer Home Fries as a vegetarian or vegan snack with ketchup or your favourite healthy dips. Or if you’re catering to carnivores frozen home fries cooked in an air fryer make for the perfect side dish on a breakfast plate alongside eggs, baked beans, bacon, sausage and fresh fruit.
Save this story to Pinterest!
What Are Home Fries?
Home fries, house fries, American fries, fried potatoes, Bratkartoffeln, bistro potatoes, or peasant potatoes are a type of simple potato dish made by pan frying chunked, sliced, wedged or diced potatoes that are sometimes unpeeled and may have been par-cooked by boiling, baking or steaming.
At diners and breakfast restaurants across North America they are often served as a substitute for hash browns.
What’s The Difference Between Home Fries, French Fries & Hash Browns?
American home fries are pan-fried potatoes cut into small cubes or slices, fried in butter and often sauteed with onions, peppers, and a medley of savoury seasonings like chili powder and herbs.
French fries are made by peeling the raw potatoes and cutting them into long, thin strips then deep frying.
Hash browns are traditionally shredded potatoes that are pan fried to a golden brown.
McCain makes the most famous frozen home fries, which are sold in the freezer aisle of your grocery store and can be cooked in an oven, convection oven, toaster oven or air fryer.
We love to cook Air Fryer Home Fries because it requires less oil then deep frying so is a healthier option. Air fried home fries also take less time to cook so you can have a hearty breakfast on the table in just minutes!
Best Air Fryers
An air fryer is a small countertop convection oven designed to simulate deep frying without submerging the food in oil. A fan circulates hot air at high speed, producing a crisp layer via browning reactions.
In 2010, Philips introduced the Airfryer brand of convection oven at a consumer electronics fair in Berlin. It used the patented Rapid Air technology, though the term air fryer is now used generically.
Early air fryers were barrel-shaped, though more recently, many have come to resemble toaster ovens and pressure cookers, offering additional functions like toasting, baking, dehydrating and rotisserie.
A decade after their launch, Air Fryers are now one of the trendiest kitchen appliance. They are particularly popular with gourmands living in condos or apartments in big cities like Toronto as they reduce the number of appliances taking up space in your kitchen.
- Hamilton Beach: I tested this recipe with a Hamilton Beach toaster oven-style air fryer. They are an excellent option for those looking for an affordable air fryer and I particularly like mine as it allowed me to replace my toaster, dehydrator and rotisserie. It’s also easier to spread food out and make it crispy by using a baking tray rather than a basket.
- Instant Vortex: This popular air fryer is brought to you by the inventors of the popular Instant Pot. It’s 6 quart capacity features an easy to clean tray that air frys, roasts and bakes.
- COSORI: This 5.8 quart air fryer is an 11-in-1 cooker featuring a nonstick basket and helpful shake reminder setting.
- Ninja: This premium brand is the perfect option for those looking to invest in a heavy duty stainless steel air fryer. The product has been designed to look similar to an Instant Pot, with the top of the air fryer flipping backwards so you can easily lower a basket filled with food.
- NuWave: This sleek digital air fryer features a traditional removable basket and reaches temperatures up to 390 F.
My Family Loves Air Fryer Home Fries
My family loves feasting on a decadent weekend brunch.
Some of my fondest brunch memories took place at our family cottage in Muskoka when I was growing up. In the summer months we’d forage for berries and indulge in a proper Canadian breakfast spread.
In the US and Canada family’s love to indulge in weekend brunch. The most common breakfast items on the plate are eggs (fried, scrambled or poached), crispy bacon, sausage, toast, fresh fruit, and crispy potatoes (either home fries or hash browns).
Now that I’ve upgraded my kitchen with the trendiest new gadget I love making this easy Air Fryer Home Fries recipe at home.
Cooking Frozen Home Fries in an Air Fryer is a modern day marvel for home cooks who have a penchant for making quick & easy recipes. Air Fryers cook food much quicker than an oven and help ensure home fries are cooked to to perfection, crispy on the outside and moist and tender on the inside.
How To Make Home Fries In An Air Fryer
Our air fryer home fries recipe is so easy to make you’ll have it ready to serve in just minutes!
There are two methods to making frozen home fries in an air fryer, which depend on the style of device you are using.
- Traditional Basket: air fryers with a removable basket are still the most common. In order to make Air Fryer Home Fries in these machines, simply scatter the potato chunks into the basket. Ensure they are organized in one layer and aren’t crowded or touching. This will ensure they are crispy and uniformly cooked.
- Toaster Oven Tray: modern air fryers featuring a glass door and tray configuration make it easy to prepare air fried home fries in your kitchen. Simply place them on the air fryer tray in a single layer and watch them brown and get crispy through the glass door.
Air Fried Home Fries Cooking Tips
- Do not thaw McCain home fries before air frying. The times and temperatures in this recipe are intended for a frozen product being cooked straight out of the freezer.
- Scatter the home fries in one flat layer without any overlap or touching, otherwise you’ll end up with an unevenly cooked and potentially soggy product.
- Air fryer brands and models differ in their heating time. The timing is approximate in this recipe but be sure to remove the home fries once they are browned and crispy to ensure they do not overcook or burn.
- You can serve air fryer home fries as a snack with ketchup or other healthy dips. Suitable for vegetarian and vegan diets.
- For a traditional breakfast plate we like to serve McCain home fries with eggs, bacon, sausage, toast, and fresh fruit.
What To Serve With McCain Home Fries
Home fries cooked in an air fryer are a quick & easy snack or breakfast side dish to cook last minute in the morning.
The most popular way to serve home fries is as a starchy side dish on a decadent breakfast plate. We like to serve them with eggs (poached, scrambled or fried), baked beans, crispy bacon, maple sausage and fresh seasonal fruit.
You May Also Enjoy These Brunch Recipes…
- Air Fryer Breakfast Sausage
- Frozen Eggo Waffles In Air Fryer
- Healthy Breakfast Polenta Bowl
- Korean Strawberry Milk Recipe
- Roasted Garlic Gruyere French Tomato Tart
- Healthy Baked Keto Pork Sausage Stuffed Apples
- Southern Smoked Baked Beans with Bacon
- Blueberry Lemon Muffin Tops
- Vegan Buckwheat Gluten Free Porridge
- Homemade Sourdough French Toast
- Healthy Breakfast Polenta Bowl
- Blueberry Mango Crepes with Coconut Flour
- Banana Oat Flour Pancakes
- Chocolate Cherry Pancakes with Ricotta
You May Also Enjoy These Air Fryer Recipes…
- Spicy Air Fryer Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers
- Frozen Air Fryer Dumplings, Potstickers, Gyoza
- Crispy Healthy Air Fryer Eggplant Parmesan
- Crispy Seasoned Air Fryer Chicken Legs
- Frozen Air Fryer Samosas
- Chili Garlic Frozen Shrimp in Air Fryer Recipe
- Tender Juicy Air Fryer Filet Mignon Recipe
- Healthy Vegan Roasted Garlic in Air Fryer
- Cheesy Bacon Air Fryer Potato Skins
- Easy Crispy Air Fried Cornish Hen
- Viral TikTok Air Fryer Pasta Chips
- Smoky BBQ Bone In Air Fryer Pork Ribs
- Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Drumsticks
- Easy Seasoned Air Fryer Bone In Pork Chops
- Easy Homemade Air Fryer Pizza Rolls
- Easy Frozen Sweet Potato Fries In Air Fryer
- Frozen Chicken Fingers Tenders & Strips In Air Fryer
- Easy Frozen Burgers In Air Fryer
How To Make Frozen Home Fries In An Air Fryer
McCain Frozen Air Fryer Home Fries
- Air Fryer
- Spatula Flipper
- 300 g McCain Frozen Home Fries
- Preheat air fryer to 425F.
- Scatter frozen McCain home fries in an air fryer basket. Ensure they are in one layer and not touching to ensure they get crispy and not soggy when cooking.
- Place baket in the air fryer and let cook for 7 minutes.
- Remove basket from the air fryer and using a spatula flipper, flip the home fries to ensure even browning.
- Cook the home fries for an additional 7 minutes, or until they are a light golden colour and crispy on the outside.
- Remove from the air fryer and serve hot with your favourite breakfast items like eggs, bacon, sausage, toast and fresh fruit.
Some of the links in this story use affiliate links. This means that if you make a purchase through our site, Dobbernationloves will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps us to produce comprehensive content.
Save this story to Pinterest!