Looking for the best Black Forest Ice Cream Sundae recipe?
Our quick & easy dessert is a cool treat inspired by Germany’s famous Black Forest Cake, flavoured with cherries, chocolate and vanilla whipped cream.
The decadent sundae features Chapman’s Cherry Chocolate Ice Cream, chocolate cake, Kirsch cherry brandy, whipped cream, Maraschino cherries and mini dark chocolate chips.
Since the colours of our Black Forest Cake Ice Cream dessert are red and white it’s the perfect sweet treat to serve on Valentine’s Day or Mother’s Day. During the holiday season add a festive green sprig of mint to the bowl for an eye-catching Christmas ice cream dessert.
Save this story to Pinterest!
What Is Black Forest Ice Cream?
Black Forest Cake is a chocolate sponge cake with a rich cherry filling based on the German dessert Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte, which translates to “Black Forest Cherry Torte”.
Typically, Black Forest Cake consists of several layers of chocolate sponge cake sandwiched between whipped cream and cherries.
It is decorated with whipped cream, Maraschino cherries, and chocolate shavings. In some European traditions, sour cherries are used both between the layers and for decorating on top.
Traditionally, kirschwasser, a clear spirit made from sour cherries, is added to the cake. Some recipes might also include rum.
Our easy Black Forest Ice Cream recipe is a sundae inspired by the famous German dessert. It incorporates the traditional flavours of Black Forest Cake while staying true to its boozy adults-only ingredients, featuring chocolate cake soaked in Kirsch cherry brandy.
What Does Black Forest Cake Ice Cream Taste Like?
Black Forest Cake Ice Cream tastes like dark chocolate, Maraschino cherries and sweet whipped cream.
You can get creative when you make a DIY Black Forest Sundae as long as you incorporate those three main flavours.
Our adults-only recipe features authentic Kirsch cherry brandy but you can make a kid-friendly version by pouring Maraschino cherry syrup over the chocolate cake instead.
Join Dobbernationloves founder Andrew Dobson in the kitchen by signing up for a fun virtual cooking class! Classes begin with a cocktail that you can sip while preparing 2-3 recipes that are curated around a unique culinary theme. Check out our current Cooking Class Schedule!
Travel to Germany to Eat a Black Forest Ice Cream Sundae
I love traveling to Europe.
As a professional food and travel journalist, I’ve had the opportunity to enjoy amazing meals in Europe, from traditional markets to award winning restaurants.
For over ten years, I’ve been on the hunt for the best Black Forest Sundae recipe. I’ve embarked on culinary adventures at German restaurants throughout Western Europe in Holland, Belgium, Luxembourg, France, Switzerland and Austria.
On a road trip of Germany, I’ve spooned through decadent bowls of traditional Black Forest Cake Ice Cream at restaurants in Freiburg, Berlin, Ahrenshoop, Hamburg, Spreewald, Potsdam, Dresden, Leipzig, Frankfurt, Cochem, Mettlach, Nennig, Dusseldorf, Cologne, Munich, Koblenz and Rudesheim.
The first time I ever ate traditional Black Forest Cake in Germany was on a memorable day trip from Bern to Freiburg, a city located in the heart of the Black Forest.
The short train ride to Freiburg was a culinary pilgrimage as I wanted to enjoy a slice of Black Forest Cake in Southern Germany’s Black Forest. The birthplace of the famous dessert! I ordered a slice of the iconic cake at a local cafe with a cup of coffee. The sweet afternoon snack was sublime!
After you’ve enjoyed your first taste, you’ll realize why a Black Forest Ice Cream Sundae is a must-try when visiting Germany!
Chapman’s Cherry Chocolate Ice Cream
If you’re a Canadian ice cream fan we suggest using Chapman’s Ice Cream when making sundaes at home.
Chapman’s was founded in 1973 by David and Penny Chapman in the old creamery in Markdale, Ontario. The family business launched with just 4 employees and 2 trucks.
Today Chapman’s is Canada’s largest independent ice cream company. It proudly sources 100% high quality Canadian milk from local dairy farmers.
The business is still rooted in its home community of Markdale while in 2001 it opened a distribution centre in New Brunswick to better serve customers in Atlantic Canada.
Chapman’s is famous for being the first to offer nut free and peanut free ice cream. Since then, the demand for ice cream that meets special dietary needs has continued to grow. Chapman’s has responded with innovative products that are Lactose Free, Gluten Free, and No Sugar Added.
If you’re making a Chapman’s Black Forest Ice Cream Sundae here are our favourite flavour suggestions. You have flexibility in what flavours you use as long as they stick to the 3 main flavours of the famous German cake: chocolate, cherry and vanilla whipped cream.
- Chapman’s Cherry Chocolate Ice Cream: is sold in a 2 litre box, which you can scoop or slice. Smooth and creamy pink-coloured cherry ice cream features ripples of chocolate sauce.
- Chapman’s Premium Black Cherry Ice Cream: is sold in a 2 litre tub and features cherry flavoured ice cream with pieces of juicy black cherries mixed in.
- Chapman’s Premium The Only Chocolate Ice Cream: is sold in a 2 litre tub and features lucious and smooth cocoa.
- Chapman’s Premium Tahitian Vanilla Bean Ice Cream: is sold in a 2 litre tub and features flecks of real vanilla bean from Tahiti.
My Family Loves A Chapman’s Black Forest Ice Cream Sundae
What family doesn’t love ice cream?
I spent months researching Toronto’s best ice cream & gelato. In search of the city’s most drool-worthy frozen desserts, I found endless inspiring flavour combinations.
As a kid my parents used to take me to local ice cream parlours all the time in Toronto, Markham, Oakville and Muskoka.
Over the years each family member has developed a penchant for a particular flavour. I love Black Forest Cake Ice Cream, Dad hearts Jamoca Almond Fudge, Mom adores Mint Chocolate Chip and my sister raves for Pralines & Cream.
I love to serve this Black Forest Sundae recipe on special occasions like Mother’s Day and Valentine’s Day. The dessert highlights both holidays with its white and red colour scheme. You can also make the recipe as a fun frozen dessert during the holiday Christmas season by adding a green sprig of fresh mint.
Homemade Black Forest Sundae Recipe Tips
If it’s your first time making a Black Forest Sundae read our helpful tips and tricks.
- Black Forest desserts always include the flavours chocolate, cherry and vanilla whipped cream. We prefer to use Chapman’s Cherry Chocolate Ice Cream but you can get creative by using other Chapman’s ice cream flavours within that wheelhouse.
- We’ve used chocolate cupcakes in this recipe but you could substitute for Chocolate Cherry Cupcakes or a stack of Chocolate Cherry Pancakes.
- We’ve soaked the chocolate cupcake in Kirsch Cherry Brandy but you can make a kid-friendly version by substituting with alcohol-free Maraschino cherry syrup.
- We’ve used bright red Maraschino Cherries in this sundae but you could also use Luxardo Cherries or Bourbon Cherries.
- We’ve used mini chocolate chips to decorate the sundae but you can also use dark chocolate shavings. The chocolate chips give the sundae a desirable crunch.
- Hosting a big party? Putting together a DIY sundae station is a fun way for your guests to make their own dessert. Set up small bowls or ramekins filled with cherries and chocolate chips and provide a few ice cream scoopers and a can of whipped cream.
What To Serve With Black Forest Cake Ice Cream
We love serving this Black Forest Sundae on a hot summer day or on special occasions like birthday parties, Mother’s Day, Valentine’s Day or Christmas.
Ice cream sundaes are a quick & easy dessert idea, which we typically serve with coffee or tea after dinner.
Hosting a German-themed dinner party? Why not serve this Black Forest Ice Cream Sundae after a Germanic feast including popular dishes like:
- Cherry Lovers Black Forest Tiramisu
- Flädlesuppe German Pancake Soup
- German Pork Rouladen with Bacon, Apple & Pickles
- Kartoffelknödel German Potato Dumplings
- Semmelknödel German Bread Dumplings or Speckknödel German Bread Bacon Dumplings
- Schwäbische Käsespätzle German Cheese Noodles
- Älplermagronen Cheesy Swiss Alpine Macaroni
- Crispy Gruyere Grilled Cheese
- Tartiflette Reblochon
You May Also Enjoy These Ice Cream Recipes…
- Tropical Coconut Mango Ice Cream Sundae
- Espresso Coffee Java Chip Ice Cream
- Maple Black Walnut Ice Cream
- Blueberry Cream Cheese Earl Grey Ice Cream
- Buttered Popcorn Ice Cream with Caramel
- Chocolate Chip Caramel Banana Nut Ice Cream
How To Make a Black Forest Sundae Video
Black Forest Ice Cream Sundae
- Ice Cream Scoop
- Shot Glass
- Shallow Bowl
- 2 cups Chapman's Cherry Chocolate Ice Cream
- 1 Chocolate Cupcake
- 0.5 oz Kirsch Cherry Brandy
- 1/2 cup Whipped Cream
- 2 tbsp Maraschino Cherries
- 1 tbsp Mini Chocolate Chips
- Set up all of the Black Forest Sundae ingredients on your counter so you can prepare the dessert quickly to avoid having the ice cream melt.
- Turn a chocolate cupcake upside down and place it in the bottom of a shallow bowl. Pour Kirsch cherry brandy over the cake.
- Shake a whipped cream canister and squirt whipped cream over the cupcake bottom and around the bowl.
- Place two generous scoops of Chapman's Cherry Chocolate Ice Cream into the bowl.
- Top ice cream scoops and whipped cream tufts with maraschino cherries.
- Sprinkle Black Forest Sundae with mini chocolate chips. Serve immediately.
A Dobbernationloves sponsored story. Some of the links in this story use affiliate links. This means that if you make a purchase through our site, Dobbernationloves will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps us to produce comprehensive content.
Save this story to Pinterest!