Looking for the best homemade Tropical Mango Sundae recipe?
Our quick & easy frozen dessert is a perfect cool treat to serve on a hot summer day or at a celebration like a birthday party.
The healthy sundae is inspired by tropical flavours featuring mango sorbet, coconut ice cream, lime rum caramel sauce, toasted coconut, chunks of mango fruit, toasted coconut, wafer cookies and fresh mint.
Save this story to Pinterest!
What Is a Tropical Sundae?
A sundae is an ice cream dessert of American origin that typically consists of one or more scoops of ice cream topped with sauce or syrup and in some cases other toppings like sprinkles, whipped cream, marshmallows, peanuts, fruit, and cookies.
Among the many stories about the invention of the sundae, a frequent theme is that the sundae was a variation of the popular ice cream soda. According to What’s Cooking America, the biggest rivalry (referred to as the Sundae Wars) to claim the invention of the ice cream sundae is between Two Rivers, Wisconsin and Ithaca, New York.
The ice cream sundae soon became the weekend semi-official soda fountain treat at the beginning of the 1900s and quickly gained popularity.
The original sundae consists of vanilla ice cream drizzled with a flavoured sauce or syrup, whipped cream, and a maraschino cherry. Classic sundaes are typically named after the flavoured syrup used in the recipe such as cherry sundae, chocolate sundae, strawberry sundae etc…
The classic sundae is traditionally served in a tulip-shaped, footed glass vase. Due to the long association between the shape of the glass and the dessert, this style of serving dish is generally now known as a sundae glass.
Dairy Queen makes one of the world’s most famous ice cream sundaes, the Peanut Buster Parfait, which features vanilla soft serve ice cream, warm chocolate fudge sauce and roasted peanuts. It was my family’s favourite cold treat thanks to our love for the vintage Tin Roof Sundae ice cream flavour.
One hot summer day my family wanted to enjoy a homemade Mango Sundae. I decided to go with a tropical theme, featuring scoops of Mango Sorbet and Coconut Ice Cream, dark rum lime caramel sauce, fresh mango slices, wafer cookies, toasted coconut and fresh mint sprig.
My Family Loves A Tropical Mango Sundae
What family doesn’t love ice cream?
I spent months researching Toronto’s best ice cream & gelato. In search of the city’s most drool-worthy frozen desserts, I found endless inspiring flavour combinations.
Over the years each family member has developed a penchant for a particular flavour. I love Chocolate Peanut Butter, Dad hearts Jamoca Almond Fudge, Mom adores Mint Chocolate Chip and my sister raves for Pralines & Cream.
My family was craving a healthy frozen dessert on a hot summer day so I developed this Mango Sundae recipe with low fat sorbet and coconut milk dairy free ice cream.
I made a homemade caramel sauce flavoured with dark rum and fresh lime juice. After drizzling the sweet sauce over the scoops I added fresh mango chunks, toasted coconut flakes, vanilla and lemon wafer cookies and a sprig of fresh mint.
Everyone in the family, from kids to grandparents, love this sundae so much and I’m sure you will too!
Mango Sundae Scoop Options
The backbone of every classic sundae requires a scoop or two of complimentary ice cream flavours.
While ice cream is the most common scoopable frozen dessert option you can also use Italian gelato, sorbetto or even granita.
If you’re looking for a healthier option or have dairy intolerance issues or are vegan you may want explore sorbet, sherbet or coconut milk based tubs at your grocery stores freezer aisle.
In our Tropical Sundae recipe we’ve used Mango Sorbet and a dairy free coconut milk ice cream.
Vanilla beans are harvested in tropical locations like Mexico, Madagascar and Tahiti so vanilla ice cream makes a good flavour contrast beside a sweet mango scoop.
You may also want to use other tropical ice cream flavours like pineapple ice cream, papaya ice cream or banana ice cream.
Tropical Flavouring Ideas
The best ice cream sundaes feature complimentary scoop flavours as well as fun topping that offer contrasting textures. Think chewy, soft, crunchy, smooth and velvety delicious!
We wanted our mango sundae to feature lots of delicious tropical flavours and we’re certain we developed a hit recipe!
Scoop into smooth and cool ice cream scoops, warm tangy rum and lime caramel sauce, crunchy toasted shredded coconut, juicy soft mango chunks and crunchy, crispy vanilla and lemon wafer cookies.
Mango Ice Cream Tips
If it’s your first time making an ice cream sundae we suggest reading our step by step recipe from top to bottom.
- Use complementary scoop flavours like mango sorbet, coconut ice cream or vanilla gelato.
- Use a nonstick skillet to toast the shredded coconut. You can substitue for coconut chips they have great eye appeal.
- We’ve used butter for the caramel sauce but you could substitue with vegetable oil if you’re vegan.
- We’ve used Bacardi Dark Rum but you could use a white rum or coconut flavoured rum.
- We’ve used fresh mango but you could substitue for frozen mango or even add some chopped dried mango for a yummy chew!
- We suggest using lemon or vanilla wafer cookies to the sundae just before they’re served as they get soggy quickly when the ice cream melts.
What To Serve With Tropical Mango Sundae
We love serving this Tropical Mango Sundae on a hot summer day or on special occasions like birthday parties.
If you’re hosting a tropical-themed dinner party you might want to serve this healthy ice cream sundae for dessert after hosting a beach-themed buffet.
Some of our favourite tropical-inspired recipes include Ajiaco Cubano, Pineapple Plantain Jamaican Jerk Chicken Burger, Jamaican Chicken Soup with Dumplings, Chipotle Mexican Bean Soup, Keto Jalapeno Poppers, Chicken Fajita Tacos, Tallarines Verdes Peruvian Green Spaghetti, Chupe de Quinoa, Thai Red Curry Prawn Burger, Thai Pineapple Shrimp Fried Rice and Caribbean Coconut Rum Banana Bread Bundt Cake.
If you love sundaes you may want to try making these homemade ice cream recipes: Maple Black Walnut Ice Cream, Blueberry Cream Cheese Earl Grey Ice Cream, Buttered Popcorn Ice Cream with Caramel, Chocolate Chip Caramel Banana Nut Ice Cream.
You May Also Enjoy These Dessert Recipes…
- Festive Fresh Fig Frangipane Pistachio Tartlets
- Blueberry Lemon Muffin Tops
- Mahalabia Middle Eastern Rose Pistachio Milk Pudding
- Sweet Lebanese Sesame Tahini Rolls
- Buckwheat Gluten Free Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Swedish Ricotta Oatmeal Rhubarb Bars
- Moist Baileys Banoffee Cake
- Flaky Swedish Rhubarb Cherry Pie
- Skittles Sugar Cookies
- Lemon Lavender Shortbread Cookies
- Toffee Cadbury Mini Egg Cookie Bar
- Turmeric Pumpkin Spice Indian Cake
- Oatmeal Cranberry Cookies
- Kardemummabullar Swedish Cardamom Buns
- Jordgubbstårta Gluten Free Swedish Strawberry Meringue Cake
- Oat Flour Cookies with Chocolate Chips
- Gluten Free Pie Lemon Angel Pie
How To Make A Mango Sundae Video
Tropical Coconut Mango Ice Cream Sundae
- French knife
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- Nonstick Skillet
- Small Saucepan
- Spatula or Wooden Spoon
- 1 tbsp Shredded Coconut
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 2 tbsp Brown Sugar
- 2 tsp Lime Juice
- 1 tbsp Dark Rum
- 1 cup Ripe Mango cubed
- 1 cup Coconut Ice Cream
- 1 cup Mango Sorbet
- 4 Lemon Wafer Cookies
- 2 tbsp Fresh Mint
- Toast the coconut in a frying pan until dark golden brown. Transfer to a small bowl to cool.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter, then combine the sugar, lime juice and rum. Let it boil and bubble for 2 minutes. Turn off the heat and set aside.
- Place a scoop of vanilla ice cream and mango sorbet into two dessert bowls or sundae glasses.
- Split cubed mango between both dishes and sprinkle with toasted coconut.
- Spoon over warm rum syrup and garnish with vanilla wafer cookie and fresh mint.
Some of the links in this story use affiliate links. This means that if you make a purchase through our site, dobbernationLOVES will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps us to produce comprehensive content.
Save this story to Pinterest!