Castello di Velona is one of the best luxury spa hotels in Tuscany.
The award winning boutique hotel is located within the postcard-perfect wine region of Montalcino. It sits perched on a hill, overlooking Tuscany’s famous Brunello vineyards.
Save this story to Pinterest so you can look at it later!
The 5-star hotel’s magical setting makes it a perfect stop on a Honeymoon in Tuscany or an idyllic setting to host an unforgettable Italian destination wedding.
Located in the heart of the Tuscan hills, the castle hotel overlooks the Val d’Orcia. The UNESCO world heritage site is know for its romantic landscapes, covered in wineries and Cyprus trees.
Looking to enjoy a relaxing spa holiday in Tuscany? Guests at Castello di Velona enjoy exceptional service, luxury suites, award winning spa, fine dining restaurant and panoramic views.
The hotel’s General Manager Gianluca Fabiani notes, “Castello di Velona is the only thermal castle in the world! It’s regarded as a national monument dating back to the 11th-century. It has its own hot thermal spring, which is from a volcanic mineral resource.”
Popular attractions and activities outside the property include vineyard tours, golfing, and visits to hear the monks sing at nearby Sant’ Antimo.
History of Castello di Velona
Montalcino’s best luxury hotel stands above the old Via Clodia, which was once connected Etruria to Rome. The boutique hotel was originally built as a medieval fortress in the 11th century.
Today, the Tuscan fortress still holds on to its original Watchtower from the 12th century. It’s an excellent reminder of the age old rivalry shared between Siena and Florence. The rear of the castle dates back to the late medieval period.
During the Renaissance, the castle was reimagined as a residential villa. Velona is actually represented in frescoed maps in the Vatican City by the famous Italian cosmographer from Perugia Ignazio Danti.
For many centuries the castle in Montalcino sat in disrepair. In 1997, the historic castle was given a major facelift and launched as a luxury boutique hotel.
Most recently in 2003, Podere Castello purchased the property to transform it into today’s modern-day luxury retreat, Castello di Velona Resort.
Luxury Accommodation in Montalcino
The luxury boutique hotel in Montalcino features 45 rooms that are spread across three floors. Each of the rooms in the castle are filled with antiques, oak-beams, vaulted roofs, cotto floors and decorative fireplaces.
- Castle de Luxe: Located in the original area of the medieval Fortress. Suites measures between 25 sqm and 32 sqm and feature marble bathrooms with a bath and shower. Sleeps 2 people.
- Castle Suite: Located in the old part of the castle. Finely furnished and featuring an additional large living area separated from the bedroom. Suite measures between 26 sqm and 42 sqm. Sleeps 3 people.
- Castle Balcony Suite: Overlooks the Val d’Orcia and hotel’s vineyard with great sunset views. Suite measures from 30 sqm to 50 sqm and include a large living area plus a private balcony. Sleeps 2 people.
- Castle Family Suite: Ideal for families since these suites feature two separate bedrooms, a living room and one or two bathrooms. Suites measure between 44 sqm to 80 sqm and sleep 3 people.
- Castle Pool Terrace Suite: A one of a kind accommodation option featuring a large private terrace overlooking Mount Amiata. The suites terrace features a large plunge pool with thermal water. Interior measures 60 sqm and is divided into a bedroom and living area. Sleeps 3 people.
- UNESCO View Terrace Junior Suite: Located on the hotel’s newest wing, these suites feature an outdoor space equipped with table, chairs and sunbeds. Suites measure 29 sqm and are furnished in a contemporary style. Travertine bathrooms feature shower, bathtub and thermal water. Sleeps 2 people.
- UNESCO View Terrace Suite: Also located on the newest wing, the hotel’s best suite is 45 sqm and offers amazing views at sunset.
Gym and Fitness Centre
If you are a fitness fan who likes to workout on holiday you’re in luck! The hotel features a state-of-the art gym facility, which sits perched over the rooftop pool.
Castello di Velona’s gym is open to the air, so on a breezy day you can cool off while running on a treadmill. The hotel’s fitness centre features standard workout machines as well as a stretching space and free weights.
Wake up at the crack of dawn and you can enjoy an unforgettable workout as the sun rises across the surrounding Tuscan hills!
You May Also Enjoy Reading…
- Pisa Attractions: Explore Beyond The Leaning Tower
- Luxury Living at Grand Hotel Continental Siena
- Things To Do in Siena: A Comprehensive Guide
- Sorano Italy: An Ancient Medieval Hill Town in Tuscany
- Pitigliano Italy: Explore Tuscany’s Ancient Jewish History
- Saturnia Hot Springs: Wellness Spa Holiday in Tuscany
Castello di Velona Spa
The award-winning Olisaspa at Castello di Velona offers a world class wellness getaway in Tuscany. The luxury hotel spa in Montalcino finds its therapeutic inspiration in the surrounding Val d’Orcia landscapes.
The spa’s contemporary wellness area features chic travertine marble and elegant linear design. Oliaspa features five treatment rooms, two Turkish baths, sauna and “emotional aromatherapy showers.”
Guests on a spa getaway can select from a long list of revitalizing treatments: from body and face massages to scrubs and wraps. The spa director at Castello di Velona uses local products in each therapy such as grapes, olive oil and relaxing essential oils.
Romantic couples can share a private therapy room at the spa or book the Sunset Spa Suite, which feature a private cabin so you can enjoy a massage in total privacy.
The hotel’s General Manager comments, “Oliaspa is the biggest spa in Tuscany with five thermal pools and natural treatments based on Brunello, honey and Mediterranean herbs.”
- Castello di Velona Ritual: A sensory journey of Tuscany. Gentle scrub with lavender, body shaping mask, anti-stress massage and warm oil with Tuscan herbs.
- Romantic Rendez-Vous: Includes a one hour massage for two and bottle of Brunello and chocolate.
- Brunello Ritual: An exclusive spa ritual for wine lovers! Enjoy a face and body peel made from grapes, berries and brown sugar. Afterwards relax with a deep tissue massage featuring a rich body cream mixed with local Brunello wine.
- King of the Castle: This facial treatment features an aromatic milk facial mask followed by a hot macadamia nut oil massage.
Spa Day Pass
You don’t have to be a hotel guest at Castello di Velona to enjoy the facilities at Olispa.
The castle hotel offers Day Spa passes for visitors looking to spend a few hours to rest and relax. The passes offer exclusive access to natural hot water pools (indoor and outdoor), two steam rooms, sauna, aromatic emotional showers and a relaxation area that serves herbal tea.
During the high season from May to October day spa passes are €150 for a full day or €100 for a half day. Get in touch with the spa directly during the low season to learn about discounted rates.
You May Also Enjoy Reading…
- Agriturismo Volterra: Book the Best Farmstay in Tuscany
- Travel to Florence, Italy
- Florence in a Day: 24 Hours in Tuscany’s Culture Capital
- Tuscan Honeymoon: Best Romantic Holiday in Italy
- Tuscan Food: 20 Must-Try Dishes and Drinks
Castello di Velona Restaurants
During the summer, hotel guests have a choice of two restaurants to enjoy dinner al fresco at the hotel: the Velona Lounge Bar and Settimo Senso gourmet restaurant. During the cooler winter season guests are wined and dined on local delicacies from Tuscany in one of the hotels elegant dining rooms.
The hotel’s General Manager mentions, “The hotel offers the only Dine Around Program in Tuscany. Guests can experience 6 different restaurants, three at our hotel as well as three in the vicinity, based on the tradition of Tuscan cuisine.
Wine lovers visiting Tuscany can enjoy sipping through the hotel’s very own bottles of Brunello di Montalcino. The bottles are labeled Castello di Velona as the grapes are harvested on the surrounding 32 hectare of rolling farmland. Be sure to dip your bread at dinner in EVOO as the hotel also produces its own extra virgin olive oil on site.
The hotel’s sommelier mentions, “Our Brunello di Montalcino wine is an exclusive product, since only guests of Castello di Velona are able to drink it! We produce no more than 10,000 bottles of Brunello every year, using natural cultivation practices and methods. We don’t use a machine during harvest season, we collect grapes with our hands. The wine is then aged in our winery for four years in big oak barrels.”
Settimo Senso Restaurant
Castello di Velona’s signature fine dining restaurant is Settimo Senso. Located on the hotel’s new wing, the elegant gourmet Italian restaurant features a panoramic terrace overlooking Val d’Orcia. Guests can enjoy breathless sunsets, the perfect ambiance for an unforgettable romantic dinner.
The hotel’s General Manager comments, “Settimo Senso is a Circus of Emotion where our chef wants to bring local nature onto the dinner plate. Many of the dishes are served and finished directly at the table for further enjoyment by guests.”
- Tortellone stuffed pasta with chestnuts, ricotta cheese, almond milk and shaved black truffle.
- Chianina beef tartare with quail egg
- Pici Pasta with pecorino cheese and truffle, flambeed table-side in the cheese wheel
- Glazed Lamb belly with artichokes and aubergine caviar
- Risotto with wild orsino, baby turnips and broccoli sprout
Located in the old part of the castle, Brunello Restaurant is where hotel guests enjoy breakfast and lunch. Diners can enjoy their meal on an open air terrance during the summer or by a booming fireplace during winter.
Brunello Restaurant serves the most traditional dishes in Tuscany, utilizing local ingredients from Monte Amiata where you can find the celebrated Italian truffle and local porcini mushroom.
- Pici pasta hand rolled in Aglione tomato sauce
- Local Tuscan meats grilled on the BBQ served with baby potatoes, fiasco beans and mixed salad
- Asparagus soufflé and pea puree
- Maremmano ravioli with fresh Pachino tomatoes and basil
- Tortello del Mugello with classic Florentine ragu
Strada Provinciale della Badia di Sant’Antimo, 39-0577-839002
Review Our Travel Checklist When Planning Your Next Adventure!
Find the best flights on Skyscanner
Never travel without insurance! We suggest World Nomads comprehensive coverage as it includes over 250 adventure activities such as scuba diving, bungee jumping and surfing.
If you’re planning a road trip make sure to compare the best local car rental options.
Looking to book a tour or VIP experience on holiday? Book the best local tours on Viator.
Be sure to check your travel destinations electrical plug requirements in advance. If you travel often be sure to purchase a multi-region adaptor.
Whether you’re marching through a city or exploring a rugged rural landscape, it’s important to ensure you’re traveling with comfortable footwear. We suggest these comfortable walking shoes for urban adventures or these waterproof hiking boots when embarking on a hike holiday.
Some of the links in this story use affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation through our site, Dobbernationloves will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps us to produce comprehensive content.