Looking for the best Checkered Cotton Candy Ice Cream Sundae recipe?
This quick & easy dessert recipe is a cool treat inspired by the popular candy confection served at summer carnivals and festivals.
We love to serve this Cotton Candy Sundae on hot summer days and at kids birthdays with a fairy or unicorn theme.
The colourful sundae features Chapman’s Checkerboard Cotton Candy Ice Cream, sweet whipped cream, strawberry marshmallows, pastel coloured candies, tufts of cotton candy and crunchy cream wafer cookies.
We show you how easy it is to slice checkered ice cream and offer tips on how to scoop and style a pretty pastel coloured ice cream sundae.
Save this story to Pinterest!
What Is Cotton Candy Ice Cream?
Cotton candy, also known as fairy floss and candy floss, is a spun sugar confection that resembles cotton. The sweet treat typically contains flavourings and food colouring in the pastel blue, pink and purple spectrum.
It is made by heating and liquefying sugar, and spinning it centrifugally through minute holes, causing it to rapidly cool and re-solidify into fine strands.
Cotton Candy is often sold at summer fairs, circuses, carnivals, and festivals, served in a plastic bag, on a stick, or on a paper cone.
In the US and Canada, cotton candy is typically available in two flavour-blend colours: blue raspberry and pink vanilla. The popularity of cotton candy as its own unique flavour proliferated and now can be enjoyed as chewing gum, rock candy, ice cream and even toothpaste!
We think cotton candy is the perfect flavour to serve when celebrating National Ice Cream month in July. Lick the sweet scoops all summer long and you’ll enjoy nostalgic memories of family time at fun fairs and festivals.
Our easy Cotton Candy Sundae recipe uses Chapman’s checkerboard ice cream. We suggest slicing the ice cream to produce an eye-popping dessert at your next party or summer family reunion.
What Flavour is Cotton Candy?
Cotton Candy Ice Cream typically includes a pastel colour palette such as white, blue, pink and purple.
The traditional flavour combination is blue raspberry and pink vanilla.
Chapman’s Cotton Candy-flavoured Checkered Ice Cream is white and pink.
Chapman’s Checkered Cotton Candy Ice Cream
If you’re a Canadian ice cream fan we suggest using Chapman’s Ice Cream when making sundaes at home.
Chapman’s was founded in 1973 by David and Penny Chapman in the old creamery in Markdale, Ontario. The family business launched with just 4 employees and 2 trucks.
Today, Chapman’s is Canada’s largest independent ice cream company. It proudly sources 100% high quality Canadian milk from local dairy farmers.
The business is still rooted in its home community of Markdale while in 2001 it opened a distribution centre in New Brunswick to better serve customers in Atlantic Canada.
Chapman’s is famous for being the first to offer nut free and peanut free ice cream. Since then, the demand for ice cream that meets special dietary needs has continued to grow. Chapman’s has responded with innovative products that are Lactose Free, Gluten Free, and No Sugar Added.
Chapman’s has been selling cotton candy flavoured ice cream for some time but 2022 is their first year offering Cotton Candy Checkerboard Ice Cream in a 2 litre size box. Perfect for slicing or scooping.
Chapman’s Cotton Candy Ice Cream appears like a checkerboard, featuring alternating white and pink squares.
Slice to reveal a playfully pink checkerboard of cotton candy flavoured ice cream. The naturally flavoured, gluten free and peanut/nut free dessert is a fun treat for all ages.
What Is Checkered Ice Cream?
Checkerboard Ice Cream, also known as checkered ice cream and checker ice cream, is one of the product categories Chapman’s is most famous for.
The ice cream is sold in 2 litre boxes and can be uniquely sliced to reveal a fun alternating colour pattern, that looks just like a checker or chess board.
While we’re using Chapman’s cotton candy flavour in this sundae recipe the Canadian brand also sells a popular Chocolate & Vanilla Checkerboard Ice Cream.
So what’s the best way to slice checkered ice cream?
Ashley Chapman, Vice President of Chapman’s Ice Cream shared, “Don’t store your ice cream in the freezer door, keep it at the back of the freezer to keep it as cold as possible. When ready to serve, unfold the box then slice with a sharp knife. Move the rest of the checkered ice cream into a reusable container then recycle the packaging.”
My Family Loves Chapman’s Cotton Candy Ice Cream
What family doesn’t love ice cream?
I spent months researching Toronto’s best ice cream & gelato. In search of the city’s most drool-worthy frozen desserts, I found endless inspiring flavour combinations.
As a kid my parents used to take me to local ice cream parlours all the time in Toronto, Markham, Oakville and Muskoka.
Over the years each family member has developed a penchant for a particular flavour. I love Cotton Candy Ice Cream, Dad hearts Jamoca Almond Fudge, Mom adores Mint Chocolate Chip and my sister raves for Pralines & Cream.
I developed this Checkered Ice Cream Sundae recipe to satisfy my family’s cravings for summer carnival nostalgia.
We love making this recipe to celebrate National Ice Cream Month in July and enjoy cool scoops and slices throughout the summer.
The sundaes pastel pink, blue, purple and white colour scheme make it a perfect dessert for a fairy or unicorn themed birthday party. If you’ve got girls and boys in your life who love pretty pastel colours they’ll be tickled pink by your culinary creativity!
You May Also Enjoy These Ice Cream Recipes…
- Tropical Coconut Mango Ice Cream Sundae
- Black Forest Ice Cream Sundae
- Pralines and Cream Ice Cream
- Espresso Coffee Java Chip Ice Cream
- Maple Black Walnut Ice Cream
- Blueberry Cream Cheese Earl Grey Ice Cream
- Buttered Popcorn Ice Cream with Caramel
- Chocolate Chip Caramel Banana Nut Ice Cream
Checkered Ice Cream Sundae Recipe Tips
If it’s your first time making a Checkered Ice Cream Sundae we suggest reading our recipe tips below. We love serving this sundae as a DIY dessert idea at kids parties.
- Keep a box of Chapman’s Checkered Cotton Candy Ice Cream in the back of your freezer to keep it as cold as possible.
- Set up your sundae station in advance as ice cream melts fast! Offer a selection of your favourite pastel pink, blue and purple candies as toppings for each ice cream bowl. We found lots at our local Bulk Barn.
- If you’re serving the the ice cream sliced, use a sharp knife (adults only) then place the slice on a plate. You can decorate it with candy and eat it like a steak with a fork and knife.
- If you’re making the sundae with scoops, gently pull an ice cream scooper through the checkered ice cream to form 2-3 ice cream scoops. Gently place them in the bottom of a shallow bowl.
- Squirt whipped cream around the ice cream scoops and decorate with tufts of cotton candy.
- Decorate the Cotton Candy Sundae with pink, purple and blue candies such as strawberries marshmallows, pastel M&Ms, gummies or sprinkles.
- You can serve a truly decadent sundae by adding crunchy vanilla or lemon wafer cookies to the bowl just before serving.
What To Serve With Ice Cream Sundaes
We love serving this colourful sundae on a hot summer day or for special occasions like fairy or unicorn-themed birthday parties.
If you’re looking to set up a dessert table at your party we suggest creating a space where guests can assemble their own DIY ice cream sundaes. If you have a large crowd and are looking for other dessert ideas to serve you may enjoy these popular recipes:
- Vegan Gluten Free Thai Coconut Mango Glutinous Rice Balls
- Vegan Flourless Chickpea Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Gianduja Lindt Lindor Chocolate Cake
- Caribbean Coconut Rum Banana Bread Bundt Cake
- Swedish Ricotta Oatmeal Rhubarb Bars
- Moist Baileys Banoffee Cake
- Flaky Swedish Rhubarb Cherry Pie
- Crispy & Chewy Skittles Sugar Cookies
- Lemon Lavender Shortbread Cookies
- Chewy Toffee Cadbury Mini Egg Cookie Bars
- Jordgubbstårta Gluten Free Swedish Strawberry Meringue Cake
- Creamy Lemon Angel Pie
Hosting a summer barbecue or kids birthday and need some savoury recipe ideas before serving this colourful dessert? We’re sure your friends and family will love these popular party recipes:
- Mango Pico de Gallo Salsa
- Burrata Bruschetta Crostini with Tomato Chutney
- Cheesy Bacon Potato Skins
- McCain Tater Tot Poutine
- Fully Loaded Nachos
- Lebanese Spiced Minced Beef Stuffed Pita Arayes
- Prime Rib French Dip Sandwich
- Mutabbal Middle Eastern Eggplant Dip
- Brandy Caramelized Onion French Burger
- Chicken Shawarma Plate
- Bitterballen Dutch Fried Meatballs
- Viral TikTok Air Fryer Pasta Chips
- Smoky BBQ Pork Ribs
- Thai Red Curry Prawn Burger
How To Make a Cotton Candy Ice Cream Sundae Video
Checkered Cotton Candy Ice Cream Sundae
- Sharp Knife if slicing
- Ice Cream Scoop if scooping
- Shallow Bowl
- 2 cups Chapman's Checkerboard Cotton Candy Ice Cream sliced or scooped
- 1/2 cup Whipped Cream
- 2 tbsp Strawberry Marshmellows
- 2 tbsp Pastel Gummy Candies
- 2 tbsp Pastel M&Ms
- 3 Lemon or Vanilla Cream Wafer Cookies
- 1/2 cup Cotton Candy
- Set up all of the Cotton Candy Ice Cream Sundae ingredients on your counter so you can prepare the dessert quickly to avoid having the ice cream melt.
- OPTION 1 Sliced Checkerboard Ice Cream: remove block of ice cream by unfolding it from its container. Use a sharp knife to slice the ice cream so the checker design is revealed. Place on a plate or shallow bowl.
- OPTION 2 Scooped: use a scoop to make 2-3 ice cream scoops and place into a shallow bowl.
- Shake a whipped cream canister and squirt tufts of whipped cream around the bottom of the bowl.
- Place strawberry marshmallows on the top of each tuft of whipped cream as a garnish.
- Sprinkle the sundae with pastel-coloured gummy candies and M&Ms.
- Decorate the side of the bowl with pieces of cotton candy.
- Finish the sundae by adding 3 vanilla or lemon cream wafer cookies. Serve immediately.
Some of the links in this story use affiliate links. This means that if you make a purchase through our site, Dobbernationloves will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps us to produce comprehensive content.
Save this story to Pinterest!