Cadbury Mini Egg Cookie Bars are our favorite chewy dessert to serve at Easter and the Christmas holidays.
Our Mini Egg Cookies are baked in a square pan and sliced into bars, which makes them easy for sharing, storing and freezing.
This family favourite Mini Egg Cookie recipe features a sticky and sweet Blondie dough mixed together with healthy oats.
Kids and adults alike enjoy these festive Easter bars inspired by two of our favourite European candies: Werther’s Original Toffee and Cadbury Mini Eggs.
The toffee offers a chewy surprise while the Cadbury mini eggs filled with milk chocolate add an addictive crunch.
These easy homemade Mini Egg Cookie Bars are topped with sweetened condensed milk before baking in the oven, adding a crunchy and chewy topping.
Save this story to Pinterest!
What Are Mini Egg Cookie Bars?
The easy homemade recipe features an oatmeal cookie dough batter, similar to Blondie brownies in both texture and flavour.
Cadbury Mini Eggs, milk chocolate enrobed in a candy coating and painted pretty pastel-colours for Easter, are scattered on the top.
The surface of the dough and mini eggs are covered in sweetened condensed milk before baking in the oven. The heat caramelizes the sweet syrup and creates a crunchy topping once cooled.
Cadbury Mini Eggs
Mini Eggs are a milk chocolate product first introduced by the British Cadbury company in 1967. The egg is solid milk chocolate encased in a thin hard candy shell (similar to Smarties) and modeled to resemble a miniature hens egg.
Cadbury Mini Eggs are sold in bags as a mixture of 4 coloured shells but there is some variability depending on where you purchase them. The original colours were white, yellow, pink, and light blue.
In Canada, the colours were switched in 2010 to yellow, pink, green and turquoise. In Britain they are now white, yellow, pink and purple with speckles.
Over the years Cadbury has released a number of Mini Egg variations including shimmering eggs (metallic shells), dark chocolate mini eggs, popping mini eggs (“pops” when melted in your mouth), and white chocolate mini eggs.
Werther’s Original Toffee
The sweets brand is named after the town of Werther in Westphalia, where the company was founded in 1903. In 1969, the confection began marketing under the brand name Werthers Echte. The brand name Werther’s Original was adopted in the 1990s for the international market.
The original Werther’s was a hard candy but later versions include chewy toffees, which we use in this Mini Egg Cookie Bars recipe.
In Canada and the United States you can also purchase Werther’s Original Toffee caramels, which are softer than the chewier classic toffee variety.
The brand has also released speciality toffee products like dark and milk chocolate filled chewy toffee and butterscotch apple filled toffee.
If you don’t have access to Werther’s Original Toffee you can easily substitute with Kraft Caramels.
When To Serve Mini Egg Cookie Bars
Mini Egg Cookies Bars are traditionally served in the Spring during the Easter holidays.
Cadbury Mini Eggs are one of the most famous Easter candies, paying homage to the seasons love for eggs, renewal and new beginnings.
The colour of Cadbury Mini Eggs, pretty pastels, make these cookie bars the perfect dessert for your Easter brunch, lunch, dinner or potluck.
We also love making this Mini Egg Cookie Dough during the holiday season in December and January for Christmas dessert buffets, holiday sweet swaps and New Years Eve parties.
Mini Egg Cookie Bars Baking Tips
If it’s your first time baking Chewy Mini Egg Cookie Bars at home be sure to review our detailed step-by-step recipe below. Here are some helpful tips and tricks to get you started:
- We suggest using a high quality rubber spatula when mixing the cookie dough batter so you can easily stir and scrape down the side of the bowl.
- If you don’t have access to Werther’s Original Toffee feel free to substitute for Kraft Caramels. If your teeth are sensitive (like my grandpa who wears dentures) you can omit the toffee from this recipe.
- Do not place the toffee at the bottom of the pan and then cover in cookie dough batter. Make sure to hide them in the centre of the dough. If you bake the Mini Egg Cookie Bars with the toffee at the bottom they will be very sticky and hard to handle. Save yourself from having to clean up that mess!
- We love using Cadbury Mini Eggs when making Easter desserts but you can also substitute for other popular candies. This dessert is fun to make year round so feel free to swap the British candies for similar products like Smarties or M&Ms.
- We’ve prepared this recipe in a square cake pan but you could also use use muffin tins to create individual portions. This is an especially good idea if you’re offering Easter brunch or dinner guests a take home gift. Simply wrap in cellophane and tie with a festive pastel bow!
What To Serve with Mini Egg Cookies
We suggest serving these Mini Egg Cookie Bars at tea time or during a coffee break. If you’re serving this recipe to kids pour mugs full of hot chocolate or a simple glass of cold milk.
You can also serve a decadent ice cream sundae by placing one of the cookie squares in a bowl and topping with your favourite scoop of chocolate, caramel or vanilla ice cream.
For a healthier midnight snack or after dinner dessert, serve a Mini Egg Cookie Bar with a selection of sliced fruit like melon, banana, apple, pear and berries.
Storing Cookie Bars
If you have leftovers, cover the cookie bars in plastic wrap and store it in the fridge for 2-3 days.
You can also freeze leftover bars for 2 to 3 months. Be sure to slice the bars before storing in the freezer so you can easily reheat slices whenever you have a craving for sweets!
You May Also Enjoy Reading…
- Easy Moist Buttermilk Banana Muffins with Chocolate Chips
- Healthy Oatmeal Cranberry Cookies Recipe
- Gevulde Speculaas: Dutch Cherry Almond Filled Spiced Cookies
- Healthy Ginger Spiced Banana Pear Muffins Recipe
- Kardemummabullar Swedish Cardamom Buns Recipe
- Best Healthy Banana Pumpkin Muffins Recipe
- Easy Fresh Strawberry Cream Cheese Muffins Recipe
- Healthy Homemade Sweet Potato Muffin Recipe
- Jordgubbstårta Recipe: Gluten Free Swedish Strawberry Meringue Cake
- Homemade Banana Rhubarb Muffins Recipe
- Rhubarb Strawberry Dutch Baby German Pancakes
- Best Cheese and Onion Muffins Recipe
- Best Healthy Banana Prune Muffins Recipe
- Best Oat Flour Cookies with Chocolate Chips
- Best Gluten Free Pie: Creamy Lemon Angel Pie Recipe
- Best Healthy Kiwi Muffins Recipe
- Healthy Bran Muffins with Applesauce Recipe
- Best Easy Healthy Vegan & Vegetarian Muffins
- Best Easy Healthy Muffins For Kids Recipes
- Turmeric Pumpkin Spice Indian Cake Recipe
Best Cadbury Mini Egg Cookie Bars Recipe
Cadbury Mini Egg Cookie Bars
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Rolled Oats
- 1/2 cup Graham Cracker Crumbs
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- Pinch Salt
- 3/4 cup White Sugar
- 1/2 cup Unsalted Butter
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup Werther's Original Toffee unwrapped
- 2/3 cup Sweet Condensed Milk
- 1 1/4 cup Cadbury Mini Eggs
- Preheat your oven to 350 F and line an 8" x 8" square cake pan with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, oats, graham cracker crumbs, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir to combine and set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine the sugar and melted butter, using a hand mixer or whisk beat until smooth. Add the eggs and vanilla and blend until smooth.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir with a wooden spoon or spatula until thick and well combined.
- Press 1/2 of the cookie dough into the prepared cake pan and flatten so the surface is smooth and even. Add a bit of flour onto your hands if the dough is sticky.
- Scatter the toffee pieces and press into the cookie dough. Top with the remaining dough, smoothing out to ensure it covers the toffee completely.
- Top with Cadbury mini eggs then pour over the condensed milk.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Take the pan out of the oven then let the mini egg cookie bars cool completely before inverting onto a cooling rack.
- Once the bars have cooled to room temperature, peel off the parchment paper. Cut the cookie bars into 16 pieces and serve.
Some of the links in this story use affiliate links. This means that if you make a purchase through our site, dobbernationLOVES will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps us to produce comprehensive content.
Save this story to Pinterest!
Save this story to Pinterest!