Find yourself Googling, “How to make crispy seasoned Air Fryer Sweet Potato Cubes?”
This quick & easy Air Fryer Sweet Potato Chunks recipe is one of our favourite healthy snacks or side dishes to cook at home.
The simple Air Fryer recipe takes less than 25 minutes to make and is a perfect addition to a Sunday roast dinner or festive Thanksgiving and Christmas feast. My family loves to serve them as a starchy side dish to accompany roast chicken, turkey, beef or pork.
We suggest making healthy vegan Air Fryer Sweet Potato Cubes as a crunchy snack with dips like ketchup, barbecue sauce or aioli. You can also add them to a soup, stew, pasta sauce or fresh salad.
Save this story to Pinterest!
What Are Air Fryer Sweet Potato Cubes?
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Cubes, also known as Air Fryer Sweet Potato Chunks, are a popular homemade snack or side dish featuring a crispy exterior and soft and tender interior.
We most often prepare Air Fryer Sweet Potato Cubes as a side dish to accompany a chicken, beef or pork roast dinner. It’s a popular starchy side dish to serve at a Thanksgiving or Christmas holiday feast.
They are considered a healthier alternative to classic roast potato chunks as sweet potatoes contain more healthy nutrients.
How To Cut Sweet Potato Cubes & Chunks
It’s easy to make this recipe at home by simply purchasing sweet potatoes in the produce section at your grocery store and following the 4 step process below.
If you’re in a hurry you can also purchase pre-cut sweet potato cubes or frozen sweet potato chunks from the freezer section. Pre-sliced sweet potatoes simply need to be tossed in oil and spices before roasting in your air fryer.
- Wash and dry the sweet potatoes.
- You can peel the skin with a vegetable peeler or paring knife. Or leave the skin on for its crunchy texture and healthy fibre.
- Slice the sweet potatoes into 1/2-inch thick rounds.
- Slice each round in half, then in half again to make a 1/2-1 inch dice.
Best Air Fryers
An air fryer is a small countertop convection oven designed to simulate deep frying without submerging the food in oil. A fan circulates hot air at high speed, producing a crisp layer via browning reactions.
In 2010, Philips introduced the Airfryer brand of convection oven at a consumer electronics fair in Berlin. It used the patented Rapid Air technology, though the term air fryer is now used generically.
Early air fryers were barrel-shaped, though more recently, many have come to resemble toaster ovens and pressure cookers, offering additional functions like toasting, baking, dehydrating and rotisserie.
A decade after their launch, Air Fryers are now one of the trendiest kitchen appliance. They are particularly popular with gourmands living in condos or apartments in big cities like Toronto as they reduce the number of appliances taking up space in your kitchen.
- Hamilton Beach: I tested this recipe with a Hamilton Beach toaster oven-style air fryer. They are an excellent option for those looking for an affordable air fryer and I particularly like mine as it allowed me to replace my toaster, dehydrator and rotisserie. It’s also easier to spread food out and make it crispy by using a baking tray rather than a basket.
- Instant Vortex: This popular air fryer is brought to you by the inventors of the popular Instant Pot. It’s 6 quart capacity features an easy to clean tray that air frys, roasts and bakes.
- COSORI: This 5.8 quart air fryer is an 11-in-1 cooker featuring a nonstick basket and helpful shake reminder setting.
- Ninja: This premium brand is the perfect option for those looking to invest in a heavy duty stainless steel air fryer. The product has been designed to look similar to an Instant Pot, with the top of the air fryer flipping backwards so you can easily lower a basket filled with food.
- NuWave: This sleek digital air fryer features a traditional removable basket and reaches temperatures up to 390 F.
My Family Loves Air Fryer Sweet Potato Chunks
My family is obsessed with sweet potatoes!
We cook sweet potatoes more than we do Yukon Gold or Russet because they are more nutritious and love the sweeter taste. When roasted the natural sugars caramelize into sweet syrupy heaven!
We most often purchase sweet potatoes in the Fall and Winter season. My parents really love to roast root vegetables like sweet potatoes, new potatoes, carrots and parsnip during the colder months of the year.
They’re a beloved comfort food enjoyed on their own or slathered in gravy or jus with roast beef, turkey, chicken or pork tenderloin.
Now that we’ve upgraded our kitchen with the trendiest new gadget we love making crispy Air Fryer Sweet Potato Cubes.
Cooking sweet potato chunks in an air fryer is a modern day marvel for home cooks. Air Fryers cook food much quicker and require less fat to get crispy and crunchy.
You May Enjoy These Sweet Potato Recipes…
- Chupe de Quinoa Gluten Free Peruvian Soup
- Oven Baked Sweet Potato
- Bolo de Caco Madeira Sweet Potato Portuguese Roll
- Roasted Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Soup
- Roasted Sweet Potato and Red Pepper Soup
- Sweet Potato Muffins
- Mexican Sweet Potato Rice
- Healthy Oven Baked Sweet Potato Fries
How To Make Seasoned Air Fryer Sweet Potato Chunks
Our air fryer recipe is so easy to make you’ll have it ready to serve in under 25 minutes!
There are two methods to making crispy sweet potato cubes, which depend on the style of device you are using.
- Traditional Basket: air fryers with a removable basket are still the most common. In order to make sweet potato chunks in these machines, simply lower them into the basket. Ensure you scatter them so they aren’t crowded or touching. This will ensure they are crispy and uniformly cooked.
- Toaster Oven Tray: modern air fryers featuring a glass door and tray configuration make it easy to prepare air fryer sweet potato cubes at home. Simply place them on the tray and watch them brown and get crispy through the glass door.
Best Dips For Crispy Roasted Sweet Potato
We love serving air fryer sweet potato cubes as a quick & easy snack, side dish to accompany a roast or tossed in fresh salad.
If serving them as a snack can play things simple by enjoying them on their own, or offer guests a variety of dips. Our favourite dips to serve with crispy sweet potato chunks include:
- Sweet & Sour Sauce
- Plum Sauce
- Barbecue Sauce
- Ranch Dressing
- Hot Sauce
- Thai Sweet Chili Sauce
Do You Have To Soak Sweet Potatoes in Water Before Air Frying?
No, you don’t have to soak sweet potatoes in water before air frying.
Sweet potatoes don’t contain as much starch as regular potatoes so you can skip this step when making homemade air fryer sweet potato cubes.
Why Won’t My Air Fryer Sweet Potato Chunks Get Crispy?
Find yourself frowning in front of a plate of soggy air fryer sweet potato cubes?
The secret to making crispy sweet potato chunks in an air fryer is to spread them out in an even layer with enough room so that they don’t touch. This is especially important if you’re making a big batch. Instead of just piling more onto one air fryer basket, divide the sweet potato in two and cook them in two batches.
Can You Roast Frozen Sweet Potato Cubes in an Air Fryer?
Yes you can easily make frozen air fryer sweet potato cubes!
Follow the cooking instructions below but adjust the cooking time by 3-5 minutes. Keep an eye on the sweet potato chunks to ensure they are fully cooked inside by piercing with a paring knife.
- This homemade air fryer recipe features sweet potatoes that are washed, dried and cut before cooking. You can also purchase pre-cut sweet potato chunks, fresh or frozen, at your grocery store to save time.
- We like to leave the skin on sweet potatoes as the exterior gets crunchy and is rich in healthy minerals and fibre. You can use a vegetable peeler to remove the skin if you prefer.
- Place the sweet potato cubes in one flat layer in the air fryer basket without any overlap or touching, otherwise you’ll end up with an unevenly cooked and potentially soggy product.
- We’ve tossed the sweet potato chunks in a little oil as well as a combination of our favourite spices and seasonings. You can make simple air fryer sweet potato cubes by simply tossing in oil with a bit of salt and pepper.
Our healthy vegan Air Fryer Sweet Potato Cubes are packed full of healthy ingredients!
An excellent source of vitamins A and C, sweet potatoes boost your immune system and help keep your skin healthy. They also have a very low glycemic index, providing a steady supply of energy to your body.
Onions are a humble vegetable packed with vitamins, minerals and phytochemicals. Regular consumption of onions can help boost digestive health and reduce the risk of developing heart disease.
It is only recently that scientists have begun to identify the components responsible for garlic’s myriad health benefits. Rich in phytochemicals and potassium, garlic helps boost your immune system, fight cancer and protect your heart.
Paprika is rich in vitamin A, capsaicin, and carotenoid antioxidants. These substances may help prevent inflammation and improve your cholesterol, eye health and blood sugar levels.
What To Serve With Air Fryer Sweet Potato Cubes
Crispy Sweet Potato Chunks are a quick & easy snack to prepare last minute.
Keep things simple by snacking on crispy sweet potato cubes on their own or with a selection of your favourite sauces for dipping. They can easily replace the fries you normally serve with burgers, chicken fingers or sandwiches.
Celebrate Sunday night dinner with family by serving a roast alongside these crispy seasoned sweet potato chunks. We most often serve this recipe when roasting Prime Rib, turkey, chicken or pork tenderloin.
Leftovers taste great tossed in a salad, stirred into a soup or stew or added to a creamy pasta sauce.
You May Also Enjoy These Air Fryer Recipes…
- Healthy Vegan Roasted Garlic in Air Fryer
- Cheesy Bacon Air Fryer Potato Skins
- Easy Crispy Air Fried Cornish Hen
- Viral TikTok Air Fryer Pasta Chips
- Smoky BBQ Bone In Air Fryer Pork Ribs
- Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Drumsticks
- Seasoned Air Fryer Bone In Pork Chops
- Homemade Air Fryer Pizza Rolls
- Frozen Sweet Potato Fries In Air Fryer
- Frozen Chicken Fingers Tenders & Strips In Air Fryer
- Frozen Onion Rings In Air Fryer
- Frozen Burgers In Air Fryer
- Frozen Eggo Waffles In Air Fryer
- Homemade Air Fryer Nachos
- Cheesy Garlic Bread In Air Fryer
- Homemade Air Fryer Popcorn
How To Make Crispy Air Fryer Sweet Potato Cubes & Chunks
Crispy Air Fryer Sweet Potato Cubes & Chunks
- Air Fryer
- French knife
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- mixing bowl
- Spatula or Wooden Spoon
- 4 cups Sweet Potatoes chopped into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tbsp Canola Oil
- 1 tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1/4 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- Preheat air fryer to 400 F.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the sweet potato cubes along with the other ingredients. Toss until the sweet potato chunks are well coated.
- Arrange the sweet potato chunks in a single layer in your air fryer basket or tray and cook for 15-20 minutes, or until the sweet potato is fork tender and crispy on the outside. Shake or stir the cubes after 10 minutes.
- Remove from the air fryer and serve immediately.
Some of the links in this story use affiliate links. This means that if you make a purchase through our site, dobbernationLOVES will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps us to produce comprehensive content.
Save this story to Pinterest!