Air Fryer Parsnips is one of our favourite healthy recipes to serve as a snack or side dish.
This Air Fryer Parsnip Fries recipe is a quick & easy to make at home. The vegan and vegetarian dish features crispy sliced parsnips tossed in a flavourful spice mix.
Our simple Air Fryer recipe takes less than 30 minutes to prepare and cook. It features affordable pantry ingredients like parsnips, canola oil, cinnamon, cumin, paprika, coriander, salt, pepper and cornstarch.
Save this story to Pinterest!
What Are Parsnip Fries?
The parsnip is a root vegetable closely related to carrot and parsley, all belonging to the flowering plant family Apiaceae.
Its long taproot has cream-coloured skin and flesh, and, left in the ground to mature, it becomes sweeter in flavour after winter frosts.
The parsnip is native to Eurasia; it has been used as a vegetable since antiquity and was cultivated by the Romans, although some confusion exists between parsnips and carrots in the literature of the time. It was used as a sweetener before the arrival of cane sugar in Europe.
The plant was introduced to North America simultaneously by French colonists in Canada and the British in the Thirteen Colonies for use as a root vegetable, but in the mid-19th century, it was replaced as the main source of starch by the potato and consequently was less widely cultivated.
The culinary term “fries” typically refers to French Fries, but preparation can also include other vegetables like sweet potato fries. Homemade fries require you to slice a vegetable into uniform batonnet or allumette-cut shapes. They’re then either baked or deep fried until crispy and cooked through.
Avoid using a deep fryer and reduce calories in your diet by making this healthy Air Fryer Parsnip Fries recipe.
My Family Loves Air Fryer Parsnips
My family loves parsnips.
When my family bought an air fryer we had fun testing out some of our favourite family recipes using the trendy new kitchen appliance.
We lightly tossed sliced parsnips with vegetable oil and tossed them in a fragrant mix of Middle Eastern spices.
Air Fryer Parsnips cook very quickly so in just minutes you can enjoy crunchy and crispy healthy fries.
We like to serve Air Fryer Parsnip Fries as a snack with fresh herbs and yogurt or sour cream for dipping. Or you can serve them as a side dish at a traditional Sunday dinner roast with your favourite cuts of beef, pork or chicken.
Best Air Fryers
An air fryer is a small countertop convection oven designed to simulate deep frying without submerging the food in oil. A fan circulates hot air at high speed, producing a crisp layer via browning reactions.
In 2010, Philips introduced the Airfryer brand of convection oven at a consumer electronics fair in Berlin. It used the patented Rapid Air technology, though the term air fryer is now used generically.
Early air fryers were barrel-shaped, though more recently, many have come to resemble toaster ovens and pressure cookers, offering additional functions like toasting, baking, dehydrating and rotisserie.
A decade after their launch, Air Fryers are now one of the trendiest kitchen appliance. They are particularly popular with gourmands living in condos or apartments in big cities like Toronto as they reduce the number of appliances taking up space in your kitchen.
- Hamilton Beach: I tested this recipe with a Hamilton Beach toaster oven-style air fryer. They are an excellent option for those looking for an affordable air fryer and I particularly like mine as it allowed me to replace my toaster, dehydrator and rotisserie. It’s also easier to spread food out and make it crispy by using a baking tray rather than a basket.
- Instant Vortex: This popular air fryer is brought to you by the inventors of the popular Instant Pot. It’s 6 quart capacity features an easy to clean tray that air frys, roasts and bakes.
- COSORI: This 5.8 quart air fryer is an 11-in-1 cooker featuring a nonstick basket and helpful shake reminder setting.
- Ninja: This premium brand is the perfect option for those looking to invest in a heavy duty stainless steel air fryer. The product has been designed to look similar to an Instant Pot, with the top of the air fryer flipping backwards so you can easily lower a basket filled with food.
- NuWave: This sleek digital air fryer features a traditional removable basket and reaches temperatures up to 390 F.
How To Make Air Fryer Parsnips
Our homemade parsnip recipe is so easy to make you’ll have it ready to serve in under 30 minutes!
There are two methods to making crispy Air Fryer Parsnips, which depends on the style of air fryer you are using.
- Traditional Basket: air fryers with a removable bottom basket are still the most common. In order to make Air Fryer parsnips in these machines, simply lower the spiced fries into the basket. Ensure the parsnips aren’t crowded and don’t touch. This will ensure they get crispy not soggy when cooking.
- Toaster Oven Tray: modern air fryers featuring a glass door and tray configuration make it easy to prepare air fryer parsnip fries at home. Simply place the fries on the tray and watch them get crispy and brown through the glass door.
Air Fryer Parsnip Fries Recipe Tips
- We suggest purchasing large parsnips so you can slice thicker and more uniform fries.
- We like to use canola oil but you can use any vegetable oil with a high smoke point.
- Our homemade spice mixture offers an enticing blend of Middle Eastern flavours. Feel free to get creative by adding some of your other favourite spices like garlic salt and onion powder. You can also use premade flavouring salts like Cajun Seasoning.
- Cornstarch ensures the spices stick to the oil that lightly coats the parsnip fries. Feel free to substitute with potato starch or tapioca starch.
- Place the fries in one flat layer without any overlap or touching, otherwise you’ll end up with unevenly cooked parsnips that are soggy. If the amount of parsnip fries you have made seems like too much for your air fryer, bake them in batches to ensure the desired crunchy texture.
- We like to serve Air Fryer Parsnips with a creamy dip like Greek yogurt or Sour Cream but you can serve them on their own or with other healthy dips like hummus, Mutabbal, Toum, Za’atar Butter Bean Dip, or Guasacaca.
What To Serve With Air Fryer Parsnips
If you’re serving dinner to meat lovers Air Fryer Parsnips taste great with roast turkey at Christmas or Thanksgiving and a glazed ham at Easter.
If you’re looking for a meaty main course to serve with parsnip fries you may enjoy these recipes:
- Prime Rib French Dip Sandwich
- Brandy Caramelized Onion French Burger
- German Pork Rouladen with Bacon, Apple & Pickles
- Paprikas Csirke Hungarian Chicken Paprikash
- Egyptian Crispy Crusted Dukkah Chicken
- Crispy Roast Chicken and Leek Risotto
- Pineapple Plantain Jamaican Jerk Chicken Burger
- Baked Korean Gochujang Chicken Wings
- Christmas and Thanksgiving Turkey Cranberry Sandwich
- White BBQ Turkey Sandwiches with Jalapeno and Pickles
Our healthy Air Fryer Parsnip Fries are packed full of healthy ingredients!
Parsnips are an excellent source of dietary fibre, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. The root vegetable aids in weight loss, protects against cancer and supports immune function.
Rich in energy-boosting manganese, cinnamon is also antibacterial and may protect your brain against Alzheimer’s disease.
A rich source of blood-building iron, cumin may also help balance your blood sugar levels and reduce bad cholesterol. It is also traditionally used as a digestive aid.
Paprika is rich in vitamin A, capsaicin, and carotenoid antioxidants. These substances may help prevent inflammation and improve your cholesterol, eye health and blood sugar levels.
A good source of bone-strengthening vitamin K, coriander is also rich in antioxidants that help protect the eyes from damage by free radicals.
You May Also Enjoy These Air Fryer Recipes…
- Healthy Vegan Roasted Garlic in Air Fryer
- Cheesy Bacon Air Fryer Potato Skins
- Easy Crispy Air Fried Cornish Hen
- Viral TikTok Air Fryer Pasta Chips
- Smoky BBQ Bone In Air Fryer Pork Ribs
- Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Drumsticks
- Easy Seasoned Air Fryer Bone In Pork Chops
- Air Fryer Pizza Rolls Recipe
- Frozen Sweet Potato Fries In Air Fryer Recipe
- Frozen Chicken Fingers Tenders & Strips In Air Fryer
- Easy Frozen Onion Rings In Air Fryer Recipe
- Easy Frozen Burgers In Air Fryer Recipe
- Frozen Eggo Waffles In Air Fryer
- Homemade Air Fryer Nachos
- Easy Cheesy Garlic Bread In Air Fryer
- Homemade Air Fryer Popcorn
How To Make Crispy Air Fryer Parsnips
Air Fryer Parsnip Fries
- Air Fryer
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- French knife
- mixing bowl
- 2 Medium Parsnips
- 1 tsp Canola Oil
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Ground Coriander
- 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Cornstarch
- Trim the tops and bottoms of each parsnip. Slice in half lengthwise. Halve or quarter the thick sections lengthwise, until all parsnip pieces are roughly the same size.
- Transfer parsnip fries to a large bowl. Add the oil, cinnamon, cumin, paprika, coriander, salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle the fries with cornstarch and toss with tongs until well coated.
- Cook the parsnip fries in your air fryer at 370 F for 15 minutes, or until golden brown, shaking halfway through the cooking time.
Some of the links in this story use affiliate links. This means that if you make a purchase through our site, dobbernationLOVES will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps us to produce comprehensive content.
Save this story to Pinterest!