Peaches and Cream Ice Cream is our favourite homemade frozen dessert to scoop during the summer.
Growing up in Niagara, Ontario’s peach capital, I’ve always loved making homemade ice cream using fresh local stone fruit.
My favourite summer scoop features a creamy vanilla ice cream base, chunks of juicy fresh peaches, swirls of homemade peach jam and tangy whipped creamy cheese.
This quick & easy churned ice cream recipe is made using an Ice Cream & Gelato Maker.
Enjoy as a cool scoop on a hot day or serve as a special dessert like an ice cream sundae with fresh peaches, nuts and wafer cookies.
Save this story to Pinterest!
What Is Peaches and Cream Ice Cream?
It’s traditionally served in the summer when fresh peaches are in season. It is sometimes served at ice cream parlours and old school diners that serve floats and sundaes.
This easy homemade ice cream recipe plays homage to the classic American dessert.
Use an Ice Cream Maker to prepare a creamy vanilla custard ice cream base. Once the churning is completed it should have a texture similar to soft serve ice cream.
I like to add a variety of flavour layers and textures to homemade ice cream so this recipe features chunks of juicy fresh peaches, swirls of peach jam and dollops of tangy cream cheese.
My Family Loves Peaches and Cream Ice Cream
What family doesn’t love ice cream?
I spent months researching Toronto’s best ice cream & gelato. In search of the city’s most drool-worthy frozen desserts, I found endless inspiring flavour combinations.
Over the years each family member has developed a penchant for a particular flavour. I love Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream, Dad hearts Jamoca Almond Fudge, Mom adores Mint Chocolate Chip and my sister raves for Pralines & Cream.
While the region has historically been known as a hub for agriculture, it wasn’t until recently that the fertile soil was used to grow wine grapes.
My grandparents would always talk fondly about growing up in Niagara. They’d pluck juicy cherries, plums and peaches during the summer season on local farms. In the Fall farmers grew many varieties of apples and pears. There seemed to always be a plethora of fresh fruit!
While the majority of Niagara’s fertile land is dedicated to the wine industry today, the region’s roots growing summer stone fruit are still strong.
One of my favourite childhood memories is licking up cool cones of locally made ice cream made with stone fruit.
My family likes to make Peach Ice Cream in July and August when local peaches are in peak season. You can also prepare this recipe with imported peaches outside of the summer months or by using frozen peaches stored in your freezer to enjoy all year round. In a pinch canned peaches work just fine!
Best Ice Cream Maker
Looking for the best ice cream maker to make homemade gelato, granita, sorbet and sherbet?
My family uses the Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker, an automatic ice cream maker that makes homemade gelato a quick, easy and fun process.
The affordable ice cream maker typically sells for under $100 dollars and includes a main base with on/off switch, frozen bowl, paddle attachment and lid. The box also includes instructions on how to use the ice cream maker and a few easy recipes to get you started.
Peaches and Cream Ice Cream Flavouring Options
This easy homemade ice cream recipe features two special and unique flavours: Peaches & Cream.
- Cream: Use whipping cream and whole milk to create a creamy ice cream custard base flavoured with vanilla extract. Add additional layers of flavour by incorporating dollops of tangy whipped cream cheese.
- Peaches: Use chunks of fresh peaches and swirls of homemade peach jam to offer a variety of textures to your ice cream. You can also substitute for frozen peaches, canned peaches or peach syrup if you prefer.
Ice Cream Recipe Tips
If it’s your first time making homemade ice cream we suggest reading our step by step recipe from top to bottom. Here are some helpful tips and tricks for first time ice cream makers:
- Use a Cuisiniart Ice Cream Maker for great results!
- Use organic whole milk and whipping cream if you can find it.
- Our recipe features peaches in two ways: freshly sliced peaches and swirls of homemade peach jam. You can substitute for frozen peaches, canned peaches or peach syrup if you prefer.
- If you call yourself a gourmet, grill peaches on your barbecue and let them cool before chopping them and adding them to the ice cream. Grilled peaches are a popular summer treat and add a unique smokiness to the ice cream.
- I like to add additional texture by adding dollops of whipped cream cheese to the ice cream base. You can also use regular cream cheese or peach flavoured cream cheese but since it is denser than the whipped variety be sure to cut the cheese into small pea-sized pieces.
- Serve homemade ice cream immediately out of the machine for soft serve texture, or store in the freezer and scoop for a harder more authentic ice cream parlour experience.
- Serve ice cream simply on a cone or as a fun sundae with sliced peaches, cookies or warm Peach Cobbler Muffins.
What To Serve With Ice Cream
If you’re an ice cream traditionalist you’ll likely want to lick this recipe right off a cone or scoop it out of a bowl all on its own.
If you’re celebrating a special occasion, or simply live your life with the mantra YOLO, dress up your homemade ice cream by serving it as a sundae or between two homemade cookies as a gourmet ice cream sandwich.
We love serving this ice cream recipe smushed between Flourless Chickpea Chocolate Chip Cookies, Aussie Anzac Biscuits, Oat Flour Cookies, Dark Chocolate Lindt Lindor Cookies and Oatmeal Chocolate Toffee Walnut Cookies.
Storing Homemade Ice Cream
Once you’ve mixed the freshly churned soft ice cream base with fresh peaches, peach jam and cream cheese store it in the freezer overnight to harden so you can scoop it easily.
If you’re making ice cream sandwiches, form them when the ice cream is soft then immediately place them upright in the freezer in a container or freezer bag.
Homemade Ice Cream can be stored in the freezer for up to a month. But, I really doubt it will last much longer than a few days!
You May Also Enjoy These Summer Dessert Recipes…
- Tropical Coconut Mango Ice Cream Sundae
- Espresso Coffee Java Chip Ice Cream
- Maple Black Walnut Ice Cream
- Blueberry Cream Cheese Earl Grey Ice Cream
- Buttered Popcorn Ice Cream with Caramel
- Chocolate Chip Caramel Banana Nut Ice Cream
- Gianduja Lindt Lindor Chocolate Cake
- Blueberry Lemon Muffin Tops
- Swedish Ricotta Oatmeal Rhubarb Bars
- Flaky Swedish Rhubarb Cherry Pie
- Lemon Lavender Shortbread Cookies
- Fresh Strawberry Cream Cheese Muffins
- Jordgubbstårta Gluten Free Swedish Strawberry Meringue Cake
- Rhubarb Strawberry Dutch Baby German Pancakes
- Creamy Lemon Angel Pie
How To Make Peaches and Cream Ice Cream
Peaches and Cream Ice Cream
- 2 cups Whipping Cream
- 1 cup Whole Milk
- 2/3 cup White Sugar
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 6 Egg Yolks
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup Peach Jam
- 1 cup Fresh Peaches chopped
- 1/2 cup Cream Cheese
- In a small pot, simmer cream, milk, sugar and salt until sugar is dissolved, about 5 minutes. Remove pot from heat.
- In a separate bowl, whisk yolks and vanilla extract. Whisking constantly, slowly whisk 1/3 of the hot cream into the yolks, then, whisk the yolk mixture back into the pot with the cream. Return pot to medium-low heat. Cook until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Cool mixture at room temperature. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Churn cooled base in ice cream machine according to manufacturer's directions.
- Scoop finished churned ice cream into a large mixing bowl and top with peach jam. Using a small spoon, scoop pea-sized portions of cream cheese and scatter across the top of the ice cream. Use a wooden spoon or spatula to swirl jam and cream cheese pieces into the ice cream base. Top with chopped peaches.
- Serve Peaches and Cream Ice Cream directly from the bowl as soft serve, or store in the freezer until ready to eat.
Some of the links in this story use affiliate links. This means that if you make a purchase through our site, dobbernationLOVES will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps us to produce comprehensive content.
Save this story to Pinterest!