This decadent Grasshopper Ice Cream is our favourite frozen dessert to scoop when a craving for mint chocolate hits.
Our quick & easy homemade recipe is prepared using an Ice Cream Maker, which churns mint chocolate custard into a rich and creamy green-coloured ice cream.
Classic Grasshopper flavours are celebrated with ingredients like mint extract, creme de menthe, creme de cacao, chocolate oreo cookies and mini marshmallows.
Enjoy as a cool scoop on a hot day or serve as a special dessert like a Grasshopper ice cream sundae with Oreo cookies, whipped cream, chocolate fudge drizzle and sprig of fresh mint.
Save this story to Pinterest!
What Is Grasshopper Ice Cream?
Grasshopper Pie is a no-bake mousse pie with a chocolate crumb crust. It is associated with spring, and especially with Easter celebrations in the United States. Thanks to its eye-popping green colour, we like to serve it at Christmas and Saint Patrick’s Day.
The popular green coloured chilled pie takes its name from the classic Grasshopper Cocktail, flavoured with mint and chocolate liquors.
Our homemade Grasshopper Ice Cream recipe pays homage to the original craft cocktail.
This easy ice cream recipe is flavoured with mint extract, creme de menthe, creme de cacao, chocolate oreos and mini marshmallows. The contrasting textures and flavours make each scoop truly sublime!
My Family Loves Grasshopper Ice Cream
What family doesn’t love ice cream?
I spent months researching Toronto’s best ice cream & gelato. In search of the city’s most drool-worthy frozen desserts, I found endless inspiring flavour combinations.
As a kid my parents used to take me to local ice cream parlours all the time in Toronto, Markham, Oakville and Muskoka.
Over the years each family member has developed a penchant for a particular flavour. I love Grasshopper Ice Cream, Dad hearts Jamoca Almond Fudge, Mom adores Mint Chocolate Chip and my sister raves for Pralines & Cream.
My family loves eating desserts that feature mint chocolate. Every Christmas my dad would receive boxes of fine chocolates from his clients. My sister and I would would excitedly snack on heaps of mint cream filled chocolate truffles and After Eights.
One of my dad’s favourite sweet treats is Grasshopper Pie so I knew I had to transform the decadent sliced dessert into a scoopable one!
Once the mint chocolate flavoured ice cream was finished churning and had the consistency of soft serve, I folded in mini marshmallows and chopped Oreo cookies before storing in the freezer overnight.
This gourmet ice cream recipe features ingredients that pay homage to the classic chilled pie. Our recipe is boozy, featuring mint and chocolate liqueurs, but you can substitute with kid-friendly alternatives too!
- Mint: in our Grasshopper Ice Cream recipe we add mint flavour by using mint extract as well as creme de menthe. You can skip the liqueur and just use mint extract if you prefer.
- Chocolate: we add chocolate flavour by adding creme de cacao but you can use Godiva chocolate liqueur or alcohol free chocolate extract.
- Marshmallow: we’ve used mini marshmallows in this recipe, which add a nice chewy texture to each scoop. You can purchase large marshmallows and slice them up into bite sized pieces as an alternative.
- Chocolate Cookie Crumbs: we like using chopped Oreos in this recipe but you can substitute with chocolate wafer cookies.
Feel free to get creative with your Grasshopper Ice Cream recipe by incorporating other mint, chocolate and marshmallow ingredients!
Add a few tablespoons of Fluffo Marshmallow Creme and swirl it into the soft serve before freezing. Add pieces of After Eight mint chocolate thins for additional mint chocolate flavour. Instead of using creme de menthe substitute with creamy Baileys Mint.
Homemade Ice Cream Recipe Tips
If it’s your first time making homemade Grasshopper Ice Cream we suggest reading our step by step recipe from top to bottom. Familiarize yourself with each step before you start cooking in the kitchen.
Here are some helpful tips and tricks for first time ice cream makers:
- Use a Hamilton Beach Ice Cream Maker for great results.
- Use organic whole milk and whipping cream if you can find it.
- Add additional chocolate flavour to the ice cream base by adding Godiva Chocolate Liqueur or Chocolate Extract.
- Enjoy additional crunchy texture by adding chocolate chips.
- Serve your homemade ice cream immediately out of the machine for soft serve texture, or store in the freezer and scoop for a harder more authentic ice cream parlour experience.
- Serve the ice cream simply on a cone or as a fun sundae topped with hot fudge sauce, whipped cream, mini marshmallows and After Eight Chocolates.
What To Serve With Grasshopper Ice Cream
If you’re an ice cream traditionalist you’ll likely want to lick our Grasshopper Ice Cream off a cone or scoop out of a bowl all on its own.
If you’re celebrating a special occasion, or simply live your life with the mantra YOLO, dress up your homemade ice cream by serving it as a sundae or between two homemade cookies as a gourmet ice cream sandwich.
We love serving this ice cream recipe smushed between Oat Chocolate Chip Cookies, Dark Chocolate Lindt Lindor Cookies and Oatmeal Chocolate Toffee Walnut Cookies.
If you’re preparing this dessert for a birthday or special celebration like Christmas or Saint Patrick’s Day we suggest serving a scoop of ice cream with a slice of our popular Gianduja Lindt Lindor Chocolate Cake.
Storing Ice Cream
Once you’ve mixed the freshly churned soft Grasshopper Ice Cream base store it in the freezer overnight to harden so you can scoop it easily.
If you’re making ice cream sandwiches, form them when the ice cream is soft then immediately store them upright in the freezer in a container or freezer bag.
Homemade ice cream can be stored in the freezer for up to a month. But, I really doubt it will last much longer than a few days!
Best Ice Cream Maker
Looking for the best ice cream maker to make homemade gelato, granita, sorbet and sherbet?
You don’t have to own a gelato shop or ice cream parlour to enjoy decadent gourmet ice cream scoops or soft serve at home.
Affordable ice cream makers typically sell for under $100 dollars and include a main base with on/off switch, frozen bowl, paddle attachment and lid. The box usually includes instructions on how to use the ice cream maker and a few easy recipes to get you started.
- Hamilton Beach Ice Cream Maker: 1.5 quart ice cream maker is fully automatic and features a compact bowl that freezes in less than 4 hours. Available in white and red.
- Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker: 2 quart ice cream maker features brushed stainless steel exterior and handy spout for adding mixins.
- Whynter Ice Cream Maker: splurge on this premium professional quality product that has a capacity of 2.1 quarts.
You May Also Enjoy These Ice Cream Recipes…
- Peaches and Cream Ice Cream
- Gianduja Hazelnut Chocolate Truffle Ice Cream
- Black Forest Ice Cream Sundae
- Tropical Coconut Mango Ice Cream Sundae
- Espresso Coffee Java Chip Ice Cream
- Maple Black Walnut Ice Cream
- Blueberry Cream Cheese Earl Grey Ice Cream
- Buttered Popcorn Ice Cream with Caramel
- Chocolate Chip Caramel Banana Nut Ice Cream
Homemade Ice Cream Recipe Video
How To Make Homemade Grasshopper Ice Cream
Grasshopper Ice Cream
- Ice cream maker
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- French knife
- Small Pot
- 2 cups Whipping Cream
- 1 cup Whole Milk
- 2/3 cup White Sugar
- 1/8 tsp Kosher Salt
- 0.5 tsp Mint Extract
- 2 oz Creme de Menthe
- 2 oz Creme de Cacao
- 6 drops Green Food Colouring
- 6 Egg Yolks
- 1 cup Oreos roughly chopped
- 1 cup Mini Marshmallows
- In a small pot, simmer cream, milk, sugar, salt, creme de cacao and creme de menthe until sugar is dissolved, about 5 minutes. Remove pot from heat.
- In a separate bowl, whisk yolks and mint extract. Whisking constantly, slowly whisk 1/3 of the hot cream into the yolks, then, whisk the yolk mixture back into the pot with the cream. Add green food colouring and mix to combine.
- Return pot to medium-low heat and cook until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Pour into a freezer safe container.
- Cool mixture at room temperature. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Churn cooled base in an ice cream machine according to manufacturer's directions.
- Scoop chilled ice cream into a large mixing bowl and add chopped oreo cookies and mini marshmallows. Use a wooden spoon or spatula to incorporate into the mint ice cream base.
- Serve Grasshopper Pie Ice Cream directly from the bowl as soft serve, or store in the freezer until ready to eat.
Some of the links in this story use affiliate links. This means that if you make a purchase through our site, Dobbernationloves will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps us to produce comprehensive content.
Save this story to Pinterest!