Looking for the best After Eight Cocktail recipe?
Our quick & easy dessert drink is sweet, rich and creamy. The decadent mint chocolate flavoured cocktail pays homage to classic After Eight mint thins.
The homemade dessert cocktail features vodka, Baileys Irish Cream, Creme de Menthe, Creme de Cocoa, table cream, fresh mint and mint chocolate sticks.
The After Eight Cocktail has a eye-popping green colour, making it a perfect drink to serve at St. Patrick’s Day or holiday Christmas parties.
Save this story to Pinterest!
What Is An After Eight Cocktail?
After Eight Mint Chocolate Thins, often referred to as simply After Eights, are a brand of mint chocolate covered candies. They were created by Graham Edwards Rowntree in the United Kingdom in 1962 and have been manufactured by Nestle since 1988.
The After Eight Cocktail is based on the classic Grasshopper Cocktail. The Grasshopper is said to have been created at Tujague’s bar in the heart of the French Quarter in New Orleans by its owner Philip Guichet in the 1950’s. Our variation enjoys the addition of a layer of chocolate liqueur with crème de menthe and fresh cream.
Travel to Ireland to Sip Chocolate Mint Cocktails
There’s no better way to familiarize yourself with the best After Eight Cocktail recipe then by planning a vacation to visit Ireland.
While the popular chocolate mint dessert drink is enjoyed around the world, it’s particularly popular in Ireland thanks to its main ingredient, Baileys Irish Cream. The drink also takes on a pretty green colour, making it a must-sip dessert cocktail at sweet St. Patrick’s Day celebrations.
Fly to the Emerald Isle and you’ll find plenty of fine whiskey produced by famous distilleries like Jamesons and Bushmills. There’s no better way to educate yourself about Irish Whiskey then by taking a tour of Jameson Distillery near Cork and Bushmills along the Causeway Coast. They’re both worth a day trip from Dublin.
Every pub, bar, restaurants and hotel cocktail bar in Ireland (including the tiniest Bed and Breakfast) has a bottle of Baileys on a shelf somewhere ready to satisfy a weary traveler.
You May Also Enjoy Reading…
- Ireland Road Trip: Best Places To Visit On An Irish Holiday
- Honeymoon in Ireland at These Romantic Luxury Hotels
- Cliff House Ardmore: Best Spa Break in Ireland Offers Michelin Dining
- Cliff at Lyons Wedding: A Romantic Luxury Hotel Near Dublin
- Smithwick’s Experience: Beer Tour in Kilkenny
- Things To Do in Cork: Southern Ireland’s Capital of Cool
- Ardmore Cliff Walk: Scenic Seaside Hike in Ireland
- Pembroke Hotel Kilkenny: Downtown Luxury Accommodation
- Things To Do in Kilkenny: Explore Ireland’s Medieval Marvel
- In Search of Virtue: An Irish Genealogy and Ancestry Adventure
- Things To Do in Belfast: Gay Holiday in Northern Ireland’s Capital
- Exploring Ireland’s Rugged West Coast
How To Make Homemade Baileys Irish Cream
You can prepare our quick and easy dessert cocktail by simply using a bottle of store bought Baileys. If you don’t have Baileys on hand, or enjoy cooking from scratch, try making this easy homemade Irish Whiskey Cream recipe.
Simply combine the ingredients below with a whisk in a large bowl. You can store the homemade Whiskey Irish Cream in a glass jar in your fridge for up to a month. It tastes great stirred into a cup of morning coffee or muddled with ice.
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 1 cup table cream
- 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup Irish whiskey (such as Jamesons or Bushmills)
Best Bartender Tools & Cocktail Equipment
Before hosting a swanky After Eight Cocktail soiree you’ll need to ensure you have the best bartender tools and cocktail equipment.
- Cocktail Kit: cocktail kits are the perfect gift for newbie mixology fans as they include basic bartender tools like a jigger, shaker and spoon.
- Cocktail Shaker: a bartenders best friend. Purchase a premium cocktail shaker to muddle or shake up your favourite pink gin cocktails.
- Cocktail Glassware: make sure your bar is stocked with a selection of unique glassware to show off your favourite cocktail creations.
- Hawthorne Strainer: this unique strainer features tightly wound coils and perforated holes. It keeps ice and other large ingredients like lime wedges in your cocktail shaker rather than in the glass.
- Bar Spoons: slender and long bar spoons are a must-have when stirring drinks.
- Bottle Opener: easily open bottles of beer or cider with the flick of your wrist or purchase a corkscrew for fine wine.
- Pouring Spout: once you’ve opened a new bottle of gin insert these affordable pourers to make cocktail assembly a breeze.
- Cutting Board: purchase a petite cutting board for your bar to slice garnishes or citrus wedges like lime, orange, lemon or grapefruit.
- Ice Bucket: chill bottles of gin quickly in an ice bucket or keep by the bar when muddling gin mixers into cool creations.
- Ice Crusher: fans of the Mint Julep love an ice crusher.
- Ice Cube Kit: we suggest purchasing a selection of ice cube trays. Silicone styles are our favourite as they’re easy to clean and are available in various shapes and sizes.
- Jigger: use a jigger to accurately measure spirits, juices, syrups and shrubs.
- Juicer: invest in an electronic juicer or buy an affordable hand-held to easily juice fresh citrus like lemons and limes.
- Muddler: fans of the Mojito love a sturdy muddler to mix mint and lime. Muddler’s are handy for any cocktail featuring ingredients that need a pounding like fresh herbs or citrus wedges.
- Citrus Peeler & Zester: adorn your craft cocktails with a thick citrus peel or finer ribbons of lime or lemon zest.
- Rimmer: Bloody Mary and Caesar lovers should outfit their bar with a handy rimmer for salting and sugaring glassware.
After Eight Cocktail Ingredients
Our homemade boozy mint chocolate dessert cocktail is prepared with quality fresh ingredients:
- Vodka: we suggest using your favourite vodka such as Iceberg, Grey Goose or Absolut.
- Whiskey Irish Cream: use classic Baileys or prepare your own homemade recipe.
- Creme de Menthe: is available as a clear, colourless liquid or dark green. We suggest purchasing the green coloured creme de menthe to give the cocktail the desired Emerald Isle colour.
- Creme de Cocoa: this chocolate liqueur makes the drink truly decadent.
- Mint: garnish the glass with a fresh mint sprig.
- Mint Chocolate Sticks: purchase mint chocolate sticks to use as fun edible stir sticks.
- If you’re looking to make a dairy-free and vegan-friendly After Eight Cocktail prepare this recipe with your favourite oat milk, almond milk or soy milk instead of table cream. Also purchase dairy-free Baileys Almande instead of the regular version as it contains cream.
- The After Eight Cocktail has a eye-popping green colour, making it a perfect drink to serve at St. Patrick’s Day or holiday Christmas parties.
- We’ve garnished the glass with fresh mint and mint chocolate sticks. You can also wow your guests by topping the drink with whipped cream and shaved dark chocolate.
- Transform this dessert cocktail into a boozy adult dessert by serving it over a few scoops of vanilla, mint chocolate chip or chocolate ice cream.
- We suggest serving this boozy dessert drink in a martini or rocks glass.
- You can shake the drink with ice and strain it into the glass or serve the drink over crushed ice or whole pieces of ice depending on your preference.
You May Also Enjoy Reading…
- Brandy Manhattan Cognac Cocktail
- Amaretto Disaronno Sour Cocktail
- Whiskey and Ginger Beer Cocktail
- Irish Old Fashioned Whiskey Cocktail Drink Recipe
- Aperol Gin Cocktail Drink Recipe
- Best Orange Gin & Yellow Gin For Cocktails
- Gin and Cranberry Juice Cocktail Drink Recipe
- Pomegranate Gin Fizz Cocktail Drink Recipe
- Irish Whiskey Sour Drink Cocktail Recipe
- Healthy Cucumber Gin and Tonic Cocktail Recipe
- Bushmills Cocktail: Irish Whiskey and Apple Juice Recipe
- Best Gin Mixers For Easy Homemade Cocktail Drinks
- Best Recipes For Pretty Pink Gin Cocktails
- Best Gay Cocktail Drinks To Enjoy During Pride
- Procreate Tutorial: How To Draw A Bottle
- Best Cocktail Bars in Savannah
- Best Ottawa Cocktail Bars
- Best Cocktail Bars in Rochester
- Best Cocktails Bars in Calgary
- Best Luxury Hotel Cocktail Bars in Hong Kong
- Best Bali Bars for Cocktail Lovers
- 5 Luxury Hotel Cocktail Bars in Manhattan
Best After Eight Cocktail Recipe
After Eight Cocktail
- Cocktail Shaker
- Shot Glass
- Cocktail Glass
- 1 oz Vodka
- 2 oz Irish Cream
- 1 oz Creme de Menthe
- 1 oz Crème de Cacao
- 1 oz Table Cream
- Fresh Mint garnish
- 3 Mint Chocolate Sticks garnish
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Pour in vodka, Irish cream, Creme de Menthe, Crème de Cacao and table cream.
- Shake well and strain into a cocktail glass.
- Garnish with fresh mint and mint chocolate sticks.
Some of the links in this story use affiliate links. This means that if you make a purchase through our site, dobbernationLOVES will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps us to produce comprehensive content.
Save this story to Pinterest!