Mucver Tarif are delicious crispy vegetable fritters from Turkey.
Our homemade Zucchini Fritters recipe (also known as Turkish Courgette Fritters in the UK), is quick and easy to make, ready to serve in under an hour!
Crunchy Mucver Tarif pancakes are a healthy vegetarian snack or appetizer idea popular with even the pickiest kids. We also love to serve them at a Mediterranean themed brunch.
Our traditional Mucver Tarif batter features flavourful zucchini, feta cheese, scallions, mint, dill, eggs, garlic, lemon zest, all purpose flour and baking powder.
Serve Turkish Zucchini Fritters with a creamy yogurt or sour cream dip and slices of fresh lemon.
Save this story to Pinterest!
What Is Mucver Tarif?
In Turkish “mucver” means fritter or pancake.
Mucver Tarif, crispy Turkish Zucchini Fritters, are a favourite treat enjoyed by families from Istanbul to Bodrum.
The crispy fried pancakes are typically served as a hot appetizer or snack, accompanied by a creamy yogurt dip and spritz of fresh lemon.
Our healthy vegetarianMucver Tarif recipe is prepared by grating zucchini and then squeezing out as much of the water as possible. This ensures the fritter batter won’t be excessively wet and fry up nicely.
The Turkish pancakes are shallow fried in a neutral oil (like canola) until crispy and browned on both sides.
The dish is very versatile; you can add shredded carrots, onions, potatoes or even beets to the batter once you’re comfortable with the cooking process.
Travel to the Turkey By Making Mucver Tarif at Home
I love traveling to the Middle East.
As a professional food and travel journalist, I’ve had the opportunity to enjoy amazing meals in the Middle East, from authentic markets to award winning restaurants.
For over ten years, I’ve been on the hunt for the bestMucver Tarif recipe via adventures that had me zig-zagging through Morocco, Turkey, Egypt, Jordan, Israel and Dubai.
I spent 2 weeks traveling in Turkey, tasting my way through Goreme, Bodrum, Ephesus and Istanbul.
My fondest memories from Turkey always take place in the morning when the call to prayer whispers from a nearby mosque. I’d relax over brunch while sipping a tiny cup of Turkish coffee and forking through a breakfast plate piled high withMucver Tarif and scrambled eggs .
I even paid to visit some of Istanbul’s most famous restaurants to taste authentic Turkish Zucchini Fritters during a culinary walking tour of Istanbul.
Once back home from a Turkish holiday you’ll have a newfound appreciation for the flavours of Istanbul and can impress friends and family by making our easy Mucver Tarif recipe!
Where To Eat Turkish Zucchini Fritters
If you live in a large city in Canada or America you’ll likely have access to a local Middle Eastern or Turkish restaurant that serves their ownMucver Tarif recipe.
Haven’t traveled to Turkey before? It may be helpful to first sample the crispy vegetarian fritters at a local restaurant to better understand how the dish is served. You’ll get an idea for the ideal number of pancakes to serve on each plate, prefered herbs and ideal dipping sauce.
In Toronto, popular Middle Eastern restaurants that may serveMucver Tarif include Parallel, Byblos, Tabule, Fat Pasha, Maha’s, Masrawy Kitchen, Paramount Fine Foods, Anatolia, Barans, Meat Point, Sofra Istanbul and Pizza Pide.
Join Dobbernationloves founder Andrew Dobson in the kitchen by signing up for a fun virtual cooking class! Classes begin with a cocktail that you can sip while preparing 2-3 recipes that are curated around a unique culinary theme. Check out our current Cooking Class Schedule!
My Family Loves Mucver Tarif
I love cooking Turkish Zucchini Fritters for my family.
I first made traditionalMucver Tarif on a warm summer morning at our family cottage in Muskoka. We had plenty of fresh dill and mint to pluck from the backyard herb garden.
I knew my family would love these vegetarian fritters because they enjoy crispy fried foods, flavourful herbs, salty feta cheese and creamy yogurt.
The dish really is versatile. I like to serve it at brunch, with scrambled eggs, crispy bacon and a fruit salad. They also make for an addictive pre-dinner snack or appetizer to serve at a Mediterranean themed dinner party.
Vegetarian Turkish Zucchini Fritters Health Benefits
Our authenticMucver Tarif recipe is packed full of healthy ingredients!
Zucchini is packed with many important vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. It has a high fiber content and a low calorie count.
Scallions are a humble vegetable packed with vitamins, minerals and phytochemicals. Regular consumption of onions can help boost digestive health and reduce the risk of developing heart disease.
Eggs contain two vital nutrients that are not present in many foods: iodine and vitamin D. Eggs are also rich in tissue-building protein and vitamin B12, which helps your body manufacture blood cells.
Olive Oil is ranked as one of the healthiest fats and is a staple in the Mediterranean diet. It contains vitamins E and K and plenty of beneficial fatty acids and antioxidants.
Packed with calcium and friendly probiotic bacteria, sour cream and yogurt help keep your bones strong and your gut healthy. Yogurt may also help reduce the risk of obesity, diabetes and some types of cancer.
A rich source of phytochemicals and vitamin C, lemons help boost your immune system and neutralize free radicals that cause disease and skin aging. Lemons also protect against heart disease and help improve blood flow to the brain.
Consuming cheese provides health benefits — especially improved bone health. Dairy foods provide nutrients that are vital for health and maintenance of your body. These nutrients include calcium, potassium, vitamin D, and protein.
Fresh mint is antioxidant and anti-inflammatory, and can have a calming effect on the digestive system. It is also a good source of folate, which supports blood health.
Dill is packed with micronutrients such as Vitamin A and C, responsible for healthy vision, skin and immune function.
Whole wheat flour is rich in vitamins B-1, B-3, and B-5, along with riboflavin and folate. It also has more iron, calcium, protein, and other nutrients than white flour.
Mucver Tarif Cooking Tips
This delicious Turkish Zucchini Fritters recipe is quick and easy to make at home. We’ve included a few tips for novice cooks.
- We suggest using a large nonstick skillet to shallow fry Turkish Fritters.
- We’ve used fresh dill and mint in this recipe but you could get creative by using a mixture of other herbs like parsley, basil and chives.
- We’ve used crumbled feta for this Pogaca recipe but you could substitute for gruyere or aged cheddar.
- We used a cheese grater on the zucchinis but we suggest using a food processor if you’re making a large quantity to save you time.
- We’ve used scallions in the batter but can you can substitute with finely chopped shallots or sweet Vidalia onions.
- We’ve used Greek yogurt as a dip but you can substitute for tangy sour cream or Tzatziki.
What To Serve With Turkish Fritters
There’s nothing more comforting than cozying to a plate of hot crispy Turkish Zucchini Fritters.
If you’re hosting a Turkish-themed dinner party you might want to serve Mucver Taric as part of a decadent buffet featuring Mihlama Kuymak Turkish Melted Cheese and Cornmeal, Vegan Spicy Turkish Salsa Ezme Salata Salad, Kisir Turkish Bulgur Salad, Peynirli Pide Cheesy Chorizo Turkish Pizza, Kiymali Pide Spiced Minced Meat Turkish Pizza, Turkish Mint Yogurt Corbasi Soup or Turkish Pogaca Feta and Dill Bread Rolls.
If you’re hosting a brunch for friends and family why not serve them with popular breakfast dishes like Kookoo Sabzi Vegetarian Persian Omelet, Southern Smoked Baked Beans with Bacon, Blueberry Lemon Muffin Tops, Vegan Buckwheat Gluten Free Porridge, Sourdough French Toast, Breakfast Polenta Bowl, Blueberry Mango Crepes or Banana Oat Flour Pancakes?
You May Also Enjoy These Fritter & Pancake Recipes…
- Buchimgae Buchu-Jeon Korean Chive Pancake
- Vegetarian Middle Eastern Spiced Pea Fritters
- Flädlesuppe German Pancake Soup
- Rhubarb Strawberry Dutch Baby German Pancakes
- Osaka Okonomiyaki Japanese Cabbage Pancake
- Blueberry Mango Crepes with Coconut Flour
- Banana Oat Flour Pancakes
- Green Onion Cake Cong You Bing
- Indian Crepes Pudla
- Vietnamese Crepe Bánh Xèo
- Chocolate Cherry Pancakes with Ricotta
How To Make Crispy Mucver Tarif Turkish Zucchini Fritters
Mucver Tarif Turkish Zucchini Fritters
- French knife
- mixing bowl
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- cheese grater
- Large Nonstick Skillet
- 2 Large Zucchini (650 g)
- 4 oz Feta Cheese
- 4 Scallions
- 3 sprigs Fresh Mint
- 3 sprigs Fresh Dill
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 1/2 tsp Lemon Zest
- 3/4 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- Canola Oil
- 1 tsp Butter
- 1/2 cup Sour Cream or Greek Yogurt for dipping
- Shred zucchini on the large holes of a cheese grater. Place in a colander set over a bowl, sprinkle with salt, and let drain for 15 minutes. Squeeze out any liquid, using the back of the tablespoon and pressing the shredded zucchini against the colander.
- Crumble the feta into a large bowl. Finely slice the green onions and add to the bowl. Chop the mint and dill finely and add to the bowl. Whisk the eggs in a separate bowl and add to the feta and herb mixture. Crush the garlic cloves and stir in.
- Add the grated lemon peel, flour, baking powder and zucchini. Stir well.
- Cover the bottom of a large skillet generously with the oil. Add the butter and heat over medium heat. As soon as the oil is hot, spoon a 1/4 cup of the mixture into the oil, being careful not to crowd the pan. They should be the size of traditional pancakes.
- Fry until the fritters are golden, about 2-3 minutes on each side. Remove and drain on paper towels. Repeat until you've used all of the mixture. Serve warm with sour cream or Greek yogurt.
Some of the links in this story use affiliate links. This means that if you make a purchase through our site, Dobbernationloves will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps us to produce comprehensive content.
Save this story to Pinterest!