This homemade Gin Mojito Cocktail recipe offers a fun spin on the classic Cuban drink that is traditionally made with rum.
The refreshing cocktail is muddled together with ice, gin, simple syrup, lime juice, soda and fresh mint leaves.
We love serving this thirst quenching drink on a hot summer day, garnished with a fresh mint sprig and lime wheel!
Save this story to Pinterest!
What Is A Gin Mojito?
Would you describe yourself as more of a traditional beer and wine drinker? Looking to get your feet wet in the homemade cocktail game?
The Mojito is a classic cocktail traditionally made with rum that originated in Cuba.
The traditional Cuban highball consists of 5 ingredients: rum, cane sugar, lime juice, soda water and fresh mint.
The classic Caribbean cocktail offers a flavour profile featuring sweetness, citrus and herbaceousness. These flavours compliment the rum, making it one of the most popular refreshing summer drinks.
Havana is the birthplace of the Mojito, although its exact origins are up for debate. Cocktail historians often mention two potential origin stories for the drink.
Local South American Indians had remedies for various tropical illnesses, so a small boarding party went to Cuba and came back with ingredients for an effective medicine. The ingredients were aguardiente de caña (translated as “burning water”, a crude form of rum made from sugar cane) mixed with local tropical ingredients: lime, sugarcane juice, and mint. The drink helped prevent scurvy.
Another theory is that it was invented by Sir Francis Drake. The “El Draque” cocktail was prepared with brandy. While this drink was not called a mojito at the time, it was the original combination of these ingredients.
The mojito has routinely been presented as a favorite drink of celebrated author Ernest Hemingway. It was also later popularized to a global audience in an award-winning James Bond film.
Consider yourself a gin aficionado? This fun spin on the classic Mojito cocktail swaps out rum for premium gin. It’s essentially a Gin Gimlet with the addition of mint. If you want to have fun while making cocktails you can always swap out spirits to find a new favourite. We’ve also made a Vodka Mojito that tastes delicious as well!
While a Gin Mojito loses the molasses undertones from the sugar cane in rum, gin adds a burst of floral and herbaceous notes, which pair perfectly with the fresh mint and zesty lime!
Gin Mojito Cocktail Recipe Ingredients
This homemade Mojito Gin recipe is made with premium ingredients:
- Gin: use a premium gin like Aviation, Malfy or Tanqueray.
- Simple Syrup: adds a sweetness to the drink that cuts through the tartness of citrus.
- Lime Juice: freshly squeezed lime juice adds a sublime acidity to the cocktail.
- Soda Water: adds a sparkle to the drink and balances out the booze.
- Fresh Mint Leaves: add a distinctive herbaceous quality to a mojito and also acts as a signature garnish.
- Lime Wheel: garnish the rocks glass with a lime wheel or slice before serving.
Mojito Gin Recipe Tips
This bright and floral Mojito with Gin is easy to make at home, ready to serve in under 10 minutes.
Our easy Gin Mojito Cocktail recipe serves one person. If you’re hosting a large gathering feel free to multiply the ingredients by the number of guests and muddle the drink in a festive punch bowl or jug.
Be sure to squeeze fresh limes and never use concentrate. You can taste the quality difference!
An hour or two before you’re planning on serving this Gin Mojito we suggest placing the gin bottle in the freezer so it is well chilled.
Best Bartender Tools & Cocktail Equipment
Before hosting a swanky Gin Mojito cocktail soiree you’ll need to ensure you have the best bartender tools and cocktail equipment.
- Cocktail Kit: cocktail kits are the perfect gift for newbie mixology fans as they include basic bartender tools like a jigger, shaker and spoon.
- Cocktail Shaker: a bartender’s best friend. Purchase a premium cocktail shaker to muddle or shake up your favourite pink gin cocktails.
- Cocktail Glassware: make sure your bar is stocked with a selection of unique glassware to show off your favourite cocktail creations.
- Hawthorne Strainer: this unique strainer features tightly wound coils and perforated holes. It keeps ice and other large ingredients like lime wedges in your cocktail shaker rather than in the glass.
- Bar Spoons: slender and long bar spoons are a must-have when stirring drinks.
- Bottle Opener: easily open bottles of beer or cider with the flick of your wrist or purchase a corkscrew for fine wine.
- Pouring Spout: once you’ve opened a new bottle of gin insert these affordable pourers to make cocktail assembly a breeze.
- Cutting Board: purchase a petite cutting board for your bar to slice garnishes or citrus wedges like lime, orange, lemon or grapefruit.
- Ice Bucket: chill bottles of gin quickly in an ice bucket or keep by the bar when muddling gin mixers into cool creations.
- Ice Crusher: fans of the Mint Julep love an ice crusher.
- Ice Cube Kit: we suggest purchasing a selection of ice cube trays. Silicone styles are our favourite as they’re easy to clean and are available in various shapes and sizes.
- Jigger: use a jigger to accurately measure spirits, juices, syrups and shrubs.
- Juicer: invest in an electronic juicer or buy an affordable hand-held to easily juice fresh citrus like lemons and limes.
- Muddler: fans of the Mojito love a sturdy muddler to mix mint and lime. Muddler’s are handy for any cocktail featuring ingredients that need a pounding like fresh herbs or citrus wedges.
- Citrus Peeler & Zester: adorn your craft cocktails with a thick citrus peel or finer ribbons of lime or lemon zest.
- Rimmer: Bloody Mary and Caesar lovers should outfit their bar with a handy rimmer for salting and sugaring glassware.
You May Also Enjoy These Gin Cocktail Recipes…
- Liquore Strega Saffron Gin Cocktail
- Italian Prosecco and Gin Cocktail
- St Germain Elderflower Gin and Tonic Cocktail
- Summer Strawberry Negroni Cocktail
- Aperol Negroni Cocktail
- Fresh Sage Gin Cocktail
- Gin Basil Smash Cocktail
- Negroni Spritz Cocktail
- Clarified Gin and Milk Punch Cocktail
- Raspberry Gin Fizz Chambord Cocktail
- Lavender Gin Cocktail Lemonade Fizz
- Pretty Pink Gin Cocktails
Best Selling Gin
Gin has certainly enjoyed a boom in popularity at cocktail bars in recent years. You’ll find fantastic premium gins distilled from Scotland to Muskoka. Here are some of the world’s best selling gins and some of our local small batch favourites:
- Gordon’s Gin: The world’s top selling gin brand is owned by Diageo. The brand’s pink iteration has undoubtedly helped to fuel its success. Gordon’s has also unveiled a line of new innovative products including two “ultra-low-alcohol” pre-mixed gin and tonic sparkling beverages and Gordon’s Gin-infused popsicles.
- Bombay Sapphire Gin: Bacardi-owned Bombay Sapphire is one of the worlds best-selling gins. Bombay Sapphire kicked off a new limited edition range with the launch of a gin inspired by summer in the English countryside.
- Tanqueray: Diageo-owned Tanqueray launched a new marketing campaign developed to shift consumers’ attention from “gimmicks” to flavour and unveiled a range of bottled ready-to-drink gin and tonics, made with its London Dry Gin and Flor de Sevilla Distilled Gin.
- Beefeater Gin: Pernod Ricard’s flagship gin brand is Beefeater. The brand launched strawberry-flavoured Beefeater Pink in 2018 and further expanded its portfolio with the debut of a new blood orange-flavoured gin.
- Seagram’s: Pernod Ricard-owned Seagram’s is a top seller having recently purchased Italian brand Malfy Gin.
- Hendrick’s Gin: Opened the door to its £13 million Gin Palace in 2018, allowing the brand to double its capacity to two million cases annually. The Scottish brand has also added to its portfolio with the launch of the limited edition summer solstice-inspired Midsummer Solstice gin.
- Edinburgh Gin: This craft distillery in Edinburgh produces a parade of flavoured gin bottles including rhubarb & ginger gin, raspberry gin, bramble & honey gin, black currant & anise, strawberry & pink peppercorn and pomegranate & rose.
- Dillon’s Distillery: This Beamsville producer makes small batch gins including rose gin, cherry gin and strawberry gin.
- Muskoka Brewery: This Ontario craft brewery produces a London Dry and spicy pink peppercorn gin.
You May Also Enjoy These Mojito Cocktails…
- Aged Dark Rum Mojito Cocktail
- Classic Bacardi Mojito Cocktail
- Fresh Strawberry Mojito Cocktail
- Mojito Royale Cocktail
- Rhubarb Mojito Cocktail
- Blueberry Mojito Cocktail
- Fresh Pineapple Mojito Cocktail
- Passion Fruit Mojito Cocktail
How To Make An Easy Gin Mojito Cocktail Recipe
Gin Mojito Cocktail
- Shot Glass
- Cocktail Shaker
- Cocktail Glass
- 2 oz Gin
- 0.5 oz Simple Syrup
- 0.5 oz Lime Juice
- 2 oz Soda Water
- 6 Mint Leaves
- Mint Sprig garnish
- Lime Wheel garnish
- Add gin, simple syrup, lime juice and mint leaves to a cocktail shaker full of ice and shake vigorously for 30 seconds.
- Pour into an ice filled cocktail glass. Top with a splash of soda water.
- Garnish with mint sprig and lime wheel.
Some of the links in this story use affiliate links. This means that if you make a purchase through our site, Dobbernationloves will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps us to produce comprehensive content.
Save this story to Pinterest!