Looking to make a fancy homemade Mojito Royale cocktail?
Our quick & easy Mojito Royale recipe is fun and refreshing. It’s a classic mojito topped with champagne instead of soda water. Posh!
Our easy cocktail recipe features premium rum, fresh mint, lime juice, simple syrup and sparkling wine like cava, prosecco or champagne.
We love serving this rum and champagne cocktail at special occasions like birthdays, Mother’s Day, Valentine’s Day and New Years Eve parties.
Save this story to Pinterest!
Would you describe yourself as more of a traditional beer and wine drinker? Looking to get your feet wet in the homemade cocktail game?
The Mojito is a classic cocktail traditionally made with rum that originated in Cuba. The traditional Cuban highball consists of 5 ingredients: white rum, cane sugar, lime juice, soda water and fresh mint.
The classic boozy Caribbean drink offers a flavour profile featuring sweetness, citrus and herbaceousness. These flavours compliment the rum, making it one of the most popular refreshing summer drinks.
Havana is the birthplace of the Mojito, although its exact origins are up for debate. Cocktail historians often mention two potential origin stories for the drink.
Local South American Indians had remedies for various tropical illnesses, so a small boarding party went to Cuba and came back with ingredients for an effective medicine. The ingredients were aguardiente de caña (translated as “burning water”, a crude form of rum made from sugar cane) mixed with local tropical ingredients: lime, sugarcane juice, and mint. The drink helped prevent scurvy.
Another theory is that it was invented by Sir Francis Drake. The “El Draque” cocktail was prepared with brandy. While this drink was not called a mojito at the time, it was the original combination of these ingredients.
The mojito has routinely been presented as a favorite drink of celebrated author Ernest Hemingway. It was also later popularized to a global audience in an award-winning James Bond film.
Our Mojito Royale is a rift on the classic rum craft cocktail recipe, replacing soda water with fancy champagne!
What Is A Mojito Royale?
The Mojito Royale is often described a posh mojito or luxury mojito because it substitutes soda with a fancy sparkling wine like cava, prosecco or champagne.
You May Also Enjoy These Rum Cocktail Recipes…
- Rhubarb Mojito Cocktail
- Aged Dark Rum Mojito Cocktail
- Classic Bacardi Mojito Cocktail
- Fresh Strawberry Mojito Cocktail
- Fresh Pineapple Mojito Cocktail
- Blueberry Blue Mojito Cocktail
- Passion Fruit Mojito Cocktail
- Frozen Rum Raspberry Daiquiri Cocktail
- Brunch Rum and Orange Juice Cocktail
- Christmas Vegan Eggnog Aquafaba Cocktail
Travel to Taste the World’s Best Rum
There’s no better way to declare yourself a Mojito Royale expert then by traveling the world to visit the best rum distilleries.
The world’s best rums are produced in the Caribbean and Latin America and can be divided into 3 styles based on the local language:
- English-Speaking: areas are known for darker rums with a fuller taste that retains a greater amount of molasses flavour and include Bahamas, Antigua, Trinidad and Tobago, Grenada, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent & the Grenadines.
- French-Speaking: areas are best known for their agricultural rums, produced exclusively from sugar cane juice and include Haiti, Guadeloupe and Martinique.
- Spanish-Speaking: areas of the former Spanish Empire traditional produce añejo rums that are smooth in taste and include Colombia, Cuba, the Dominican Republic, Guatemala, Nicaragua, Panama, the Philippines, Puerto Rico and Venezuela.
We’ve had the opportunity to visit rum distilleries on a road trip of Jamaica, on a tour of Havana and a museum experience in Puerto Rico with Bacardi.
Most rum distillery tours allow guests to see the raw sugar cane arrive into the production area, offer an explanation on the distilling process and finish with a tutored tasting. Some distilleries even have a cocktail bar where you can sip classic rum drinks like a daiquiri or Mojito Royale.
Best Selling Rum
We suggest using a quality white rum when making a Mojito Royale. We do not suggest substituting with a spiced rum or dark rum as it will make the elegant champagne cocktail turn brown.
Here are some of the world’s best selling rum brands, perfect for muddling into a luxurious Mojito Royale:
- Havana Club: is Cuba’s most famous rum brand, originally created in 1934. If you’re visiting Havana on holiday we highly suggest taking the Havana Club tour to learn more about the history of rum production on the island and evolution of the mojito.
- Bacardi: the world’s best selling rum was founded in 1862 in Cuba. The company moved to Puerto Rico due to the revolution and today tourists can visit the Cathedral of Rum in San Juan for the ultimate mojito experience.
- Appleton Estates: is a sugar estate and distillery in Jamaica that has been handcrafting rums since 1749. They produce a wide variety of aged rums, as well as standard gold and white rums.
- Captain Morgan: is a brand of flavoured rums named after the 17th-century Welsh privateer of the Caribbean, Sir Henry Morgan.
- Mount Gay: is a rum produced in Barbados, and dates back to 1703, making it the world’s oldest comercial rum distillery.
- Goslings: is a Bermuda-based brand famous for blending and distributing quality rum. Goslings Rum is famously the main ingredient in the Dark & Stormy cocktail.
- The Kraken: is a Caribbean black spiced rum named after the mythical squid-like sea monster. The premium rum product is produced in Trinidad and Tobago.
- Diplomatico: is a premium rum produced in the Andes Mountains in Venezuela.
- Lamb’s: first launched in 1849 and today is made with rums produced in Trinidad and Tobago and Guyana.
- El Dorado: is a premium rum produced in Guyana.
Mojito Royale Cocktail Recipe Ingredients
This homemade Mojito Royale recipe is made with fresh and quality ingredients:
- Rum: we suggest using Bacardi Superior or another premium white rum.
- Lime Juice: only use freshly squeezed lime juice. You can taste the difference when someone incorrectly muddles cocktails with store bought citrus juice.
- Mint Leaves: you can purchase mint or harvest your own in an indoor edible garden.
- Simple Syrup: we’ve used simple syrup in this recipe to sweeten the drink but you can also dissolve white sugar into the glass if you prefer.
- Sparkling Wine: we used a local sparkling wine from Niagara on the Lake Vineyard but you can also use champagne, cava or prosecco.
Mojito Royale Cocktail Recipe Tips
This Mojito Royale recipe is easy to make at home, ready to serve in under 10 minutes.
We love serving the refreshing drink on hot days in the summer at family barbecues, cottage happy hour and on a sun-soaked patio.
When preparing a traditional mojito, fresh lime juice is added to sugar (or to simple syrup) and mint leaves. The mixture is then gently mashed with a muddler. The mint leaves should only be bruised to release the essential oils and should not be shredded or sliced.
Then rum is added and the mixture is briefly stirred to dissolve the sugar and to lift the mint leaves up from the bottom for better presentation. For a Royale, the final finesse is topping the glass with sparkling wine. Mint leaves and lime wheels or wedges are used to garnish the glass.
Our Mojito Royale recipe below is listed for one person. If you’re hosting a large gathering feel free to multiply the ingredients by the number of guests and muddle the drink in a punch bowl or jug rather than a cocktail shaker.
Serve the drink in a highball or collins glass with whole ice cubes or crushed ice.
Best Bartender Tools & Cocktail Equipment
Before hosting a swanky Mojito Royale soiree you’ll need to ensure you have the best bartender tools and cocktail equipment.
- Cocktail Kit: cocktail kits are the perfect gift for newbie mixology fans as they include basic bartender tools like a jigger, shaker and spoon.
- Cocktail Shaker: a bartender’s best friend. Purchase a premium cocktail shaker to muddle or shake up your favourite pink gin cocktails.
- Cocktail Glassware: make sure your bar is stocked with a selection of unique glassware to show off your favourite cocktail creations.
- Hawthorne Strainer: this unique strainer features tightly wound coils and perforated holes. It keeps ice and other large ingredients like lime wedges in your cocktail shaker rather than in the glass.
- Bar Spoons: slender and long bar spoons are a must-have when stirring drinks.
- Bottle Opener: easily open bottles of beer or cider with the flick of your wrist or purchase a corkscrew for fine wine.
- Pouring Spout: once you’ve opened a new bottle of gin insert these affordable pourers to make cocktail assembly a breeze.
- Cutting Board: purchase a petite cutting board for your bar to slice garnishes or citrus wedges like lime, orange, lemon or grapefruit.
- Ice Bucket: chill bottles of gin quickly in an ice bucket or keep by the bar when muddling gin mixers into cool creations.
- Ice Crusher: fans of the Mint Julep love an ice crusher.
- Ice Cube Kit: we suggest purchasing a selection of ice cube trays. Silicone styles are our favourite as they’re easy to clean and are available in various shapes and sizes.
- Jigger: use a jigger to accurately measure spirits, juices, syrups and shrubs.
- Juicer: invest in an electronic juicer or buy an affordable hand-held to easily juice fresh citrus like lemons and limes.
- Muddler: fans of the Mojito love a sturdy muddler to mix mint and lime. Muddler’s are handy for any cocktail featuring ingredients that need a pounding like fresh herbs or citrus wedges.
- Citrus Peeler & Zester: adorn your craft cocktails with a thick citrus peel or finer ribbons of lime or lemon zest.
- Rimmer: Bloody Mary and Caesar lovers should outfit their bar with a handy rimmer for salting and sugaring glassware.
How To Make a Mojito Royale Cocktail
Mojito Royale Cocktail
- Shot Glass
- Collins Glass
- Bar Spoon
- 10 Fresh Mint Leaves
- 2 oz Rum
- 0.5 oz Lime Juice
- 1 oz Simple Syrup
- 2 oz Sparkling Wine
- Add mint, rum, lime juice and simple syrup to an ice filled collins glass.
- Muddle and churn with a bar spoon.
- Top with sparkling wine and serve.
Some of the links in this story use affiliate links. This means that if you make a purchase through our site, Dobbernationloves will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps us to produce comprehensive content.
Save this story to Pinterest!