Learn how to make the best Negroni Spritz cocktail recipe.
Take a trip to the scenic Amalfi Coast while sipping a quick & easy refreshing citrus drink made with Italy’s favourite aperitif.
Our traditional Negroni Spritz recipe features Campari, premium gin, red vermouth, angostura bitters, soda water and a fresh orange slice.
Save this story to Pinterest!
What Is A Negroni?
A classic Negroni is an Italian aperitivo cocktail, made of one part gin, one part red vermouth, and one part Campari, garnished with an orange peel.
Campari is an Italian alcoholic liqueur, considered an apéritif, obtained from the infusion of herbs and fruit in alcohol and water. It is a bitters, characterised by its dark red colour.
A traditionally made Negroni is stirred, not shaken, and built over ice in an old-fashioned or rocks glass.
While the drink’s origins are unknown, the most widely reported account is that it was first mixed in Florence, in 1919, at Caffè Casoni. Pascal Olivier Count de Negroni concocted it by asking the bartender, Fosco Scarselli, to strengthen his favorite cocktail, the Americano, by adding gin rather than the normal soda water. The bartender also added an orange garnish rather than the typical lemon garnish of the Americano to signify that it was a different drink.
A Negroni Spritz is a play on the classic Negroni drink recipe that adds bubbly to the beverage via soda water or sparkling wine like prosecco. It’s the perfect sipper for those looking for a refreshing drink with a lower alcohol content, while still staying true to the flavours of a traditional Negroni.
Travel To Italy For A Negroni Spritz
There’s no better way to familiarize yourself with an authentic Negroni Spritz cocktail recipe then by planning a vacation to visit Italy.
If you’ve traveled to Italy before you’ll probably have developed a fondness for aperitivo hour. Aperitivo comes from the Latin word aperire, meaning “to open.” Historically, an aperitivo was an alcoholic beverage consumed before dinner to whet your appetite. Today, it’s a daily ritual that embodies la dolce vita.
True to form, this daily routine exudes Italy’s quintessential style of slowing down, socializing, drinking, and, of course, eating. In Italy aperitivo hour starts every night from around 6-9 PM at local cafes, bars, hotels, and restaurants. Italians and tourists alike take part in drinks and snacks while they unwind and catch up with friends before their evening meal filled with polenta, pasta, short rib ragu, pici, gnocchi, pizza and gelato.
We suggest ordering an authentic Negroni Spritz Cocktail after sailing through the canals in Venice, luxury car hopping in Modena, tanning on the beach in Amalfi, visiting the Pantheon in Rome, exploring Italian Renaissance treasures in The Vatican, Armani and contemporary art shopping in Milan, touring the tower in Pisa, and enjoying a Honeymoon in Tuscany with stops in Siena, Sorano, Pitigliano, Saturnia, and Volterra.
Best Selling Gin
Gin has certainly enjoyed a boom in popularity at cocktail bars in recent years. You’ll find fantastic premium gins distilled from Scotland to Muskoka. Here are some of the world’s best selling gins and some of our local small batch favourites:
- Gordon’s Gin: The world’s top selling gin brand is owned by Diageo. The brand’s pink iteration has undoubtedly helped to fuel its success. Gordon’s has also unveiled a line of new innovative products including two “ultra-low-alcohol” pre-mixed gin and tonic sparkling beverages and Gordon’s Gin-infused popsicles.
- Bombay Sapphire Gin: Bacardi-owned Bombay Sapphire is one of the worlds best-selling gins. Bombay Sapphire kicked off a new limited edition range with the launch of a gin inspired by summer in the English countryside.
- Tanqueray: Diageo-owned Tanqueray launched a new marketing campaign developed to shift consumers’ attention from “gimmicks” to flavour and unveiled a range of bottled ready-to-drink gin and tonics, made with its London Dry Gin and Flor de Sevilla Distilled Gin.
- Beefeater Gin: Pernod Ricard’s flagship gin brand is Beefeater. The brand launched strawberry-flavoured Beefeater Pink in 2018 and further expanded its portfolio with the debut of a new blood orange-flavoured gin.
- Seagram’s: Pernod Ricard-owned Seagram’s is a top seller having recently purchased Italian brand Malfy Gin.
- Hendrick’s Gin: Opened the door to its £13 million Gin Palace in 2018, allowing the brand to double its capacity to two million cases annually. The Scottish brand has also added to its portfolio with the launch of the limited edition summer solstice-inspired Midsummer Solstice gin.
- Edinburgh Gin: This craft distillery in Edinburgh produces a parade of flavoured gin bottles including rhubarb & ginger gin, raspberry gin, bramble & honey gin, black currant & anise, strawberry & pink peppercorn and pomegranate & rose.
- Dillon’s Distillery: This Beamsville producer makes small batch gins including rose gin, cherry gin and strawberry gin.
- Muskoka Brewery: This Ontario craft brewery produces a London Dry and spicy pink peppercorn gin.
Best Bartender Tools & Cocktail Equipment
Before hosting a swanky Negroni Spritz soiree you’ll need to ensure you have the best bartender tools and cocktail equipment.
- Cocktail Kit: cocktail kits are the perfect gift for newbie mixology fans as they include basic bartender tools like a jigger, shaker and spoon.
- Cocktail Shaker: a bartender’s best friend. Purchase a premium cocktail shaker to muddle or shake up your favourite pink gin cocktails.
- Cocktail Glassware: make sure your bar is stocked with a selection of unique glassware to show off your favourite cocktail creations.
- Hawthorne Strainer: this unique strainer features tightly wound coils and perforated holes. It keeps ice and other large ingredients like lime wedges in your cocktail shaker rather than in the glass.
- Bar Spoons: slender and long bar spoons are a must-have when stirring drinks.
- Bottle Opener: easily open bottles of beer or cider with the flick of your wrist or purchase a corkscrew for fine wine.
- Pouring Spout: once you’ve opened a new bottle of gin insert these affordable pourers to make cocktail assembly a breeze.
- Cutting Board: purchase a petite cutting board for your bar to slice garnishes or citrus wedges like lime, orange, lemon or grapefruit.
- Ice Bucket: chill bottles of gin quickly in an ice bucket or keep by the bar when muddling gin mixers into cool creations.
- Ice Crusher: fans of the Mint Julep love an ice crusher.
- Ice Cube Kit: we suggest purchasing a selection of ice cube trays. Silicone styles are our favourite as they’re easy to clean and are available in various shapes and sizes.
- Jigger: use a jigger to accurately measure spirits, juices, syrups and shrubs.
- Juicer: invest in an electronic juicer or buy an affordable hand-held to easily juice fresh citrus like lemons and limes.
- Muddler: fans of the Mojito love a sturdy muddler to mix mint and lime. Muddler’s are handy for any cocktail featuring ingredients that need a pounding like fresh herbs or citrus wedges.
- Citrus Peeler & Zester: adorn your craft cocktails with a thick citrus peel or finer ribbons of lime or lemon zest.
- Rimmer: Bloody Mary and Caesar lovers should outfit their bar with a handy rimmer for salting and sugaring glassware.
Negroni Spritz Cocktail Ingredients
Our Campari and Gin Cocktail is made with premium ingredients.
- Campari: red-coloured herb infused aperitif from Italy that is the key ingredient in a Negroni.
- Gin: we suggest using Bombay Sapphire, The Botanist or Aviation Gin.
- Red Vermouth: red vermouth adds a sweetness to the celebratory cocktail.
- Bitters: add a few dashes of Angostura Bitters to round out your cocktail.
- Soda Water: we suggest using premium Fever Tree Club Soda. You could also use sparkling water from your own Soda Stream machine.
- Orange: you can garnish the cocktail with an orange twist but we prefer to use a fresh orange slice that we squeeze into the glass and muddle before serving.
Negroni Spritz Cocktail Recipe Tips
This Campari Gin Cocktail recipe is easy to make at home, ready to serve in under 5 minutes.
We love serving our a Negroni Spritz on hot summer days and at special celebrations like New Years Eve, Christmas parties, Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day brunch, Easter and a romantic wedding reception.
If you find the cocktail to be too bitter feel free to add more orange. You can also lighten up the drink if it’s too boozy by adding a slash of soda or tonic water.
You can elevate the recipe by adding a splash of sparkling wine like prosecco, which will give the drink an additional fizzy mouthfeel.
Our refreshing Negroni Spritz recipe is listed for one person. If you’re hosting a large gathering feel free to multiply the ingredients by the number of guests and muddle the drink in a punch bowl or jug rather than a cocktail shaker.
Serve the drink in rocks glass garnished with an orange slice.
You May Also Enjoy These Gin Cocktail Recipes…
- Italian Prosecco and Gin Cocktail
- Raspberry Gin Fizz Chambord Cocktail
- Sour Lemon Blueberry Gin Cocktail
- Eastside Cocktail
- Mango Gin Collins Cocktail
- Lavender Gin Cocktail Lemonade Fizz
- Gin Cucumber Juice Cilantro Cocktail
- Malfy Grapefruit Gin & Rosemary Cocktail
- St Germain Elderflower Gin and Tonic Cocktail
- Elderflower Collins Cocktail
- Classic Gin John Collins Cocktail
- Moscow Mule with Gin Cocktail
- Rhubarb and Ginger Gin Cocktail
- Best Orange Gin & Yellow Gin For Cocktails
- Aperol Gin Cocktail
- Gin and Cranberry Juice Cocktail
- Pomegranate Gin Fizz Cocktail
- Cucumber Gin and Tonic Cocktail
- Best Gin Mixers For Easy Homemade Cocktails
- Best Recipes For Pretty Pink Gin Cocktails
How To Make A Negroni Spritz Cocktail Recipe
Negroni Spritz Cocktail
- 1.5 oz Gin
- 1.5 oz Campari
- 0.5 oz Red Vermouth
- 2 dashes Angostura Bitters
- 2 Orange Slices
- Soda Water
- Add the gin, campari, vermouth and bitters to a rocks glass.
- Fill the glass with ice. Squeeze an orange slice into the glass and drop it into the cocktail. Top with soda water.
- Stir and garnish with an orange slice.
Some of the links in this story use affiliate links. This means that if you make a purchase through our site, Dobbernationloves will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps us to produce comprehensive content.
Save this story to Pinterest!