Looking for the best Bacardi Mojito cocktail recipe?
Our quick & easy Bacardi Mojito is fun and refreshing. It’s best served on a hot day in the summer on a patio, backyard barbecue or cottage dock.
The homemade refreshing summer drink features premium Bacardi rum, fresh mint, sugar, lime, and sparkling soda water.
Save this story to Pinterest!
The traditional Cuban highball consists of 5 ingredients: white rum, cane sugar, lime juice, soda water and fresh mint.
The classic Caribbean cocktail offers a flavour profile featuring sweetness, citrus and herbaceousness. These flavours compliment the rum, making it one of the most popular refreshing summer drinks.
Havana is the birthplace of the Mojito, although its exact origins are up for debate. Cocktail historians often mention two potential origin stories for the drink.
Local South American Indians had remedies for various tropical illnesses, so a small boarding party went to Cuba and came back with ingredients for an effective medicine.
The ingredients were aguardiente de caña (translated as “burning water”, a crude form of rum made from sugar cane) mixed with local tropical ingredients: lime, sugarcane juice, and mint. The drink helped prevent scurvy.
Another theory is that it was invented by Sir Francis Drake. The “El Draque” cocktail was prepared with brandy. While this drink was not called a mojito at the time, it was the original combination of these ingredients.
The mojito has routinely been presented as a favourite drink of celebrated author Ernest Hemingway. It was also later popularized to a global audience in an award-winning James Bond film.
Travel To Puerto Rico to Taste the World’s Best Mojito
Cuba is one of the most popular sun destinations for Canadians, which is why so many cocktail lovers from Vancouver, Calgary and Montreal enjoy the classic Caribbean drink so much. Once you’ve tasted a traditional mojito on a sun-soaked Cuban beach it leaves a lasting impression.
I sipped over 50 mojito cocktails during my first visit to Cuba, which was a circumnavigation cruise. The 10 day itinerary offered stops to popular Cuban destinations like Trinidad, Punta Frances, Holguin and Santiago de Cuba.
After traveling extensively throughout the Caribbean in search of the world’s best rum, I realized there is no better way to achieve Mojito Expert status then visiting Puerto Rico, the home of Bacardi’s “Cathedral of Rum.”
No trip to San Juan is complete without a visit to Casa Bacardi, the city’s most popular attraction. Upon arrival I couldn’t help but smirk about how it felt a bit like “Disney does a Distillery,” as guests are whisked around the property on Bacardi bat embossed limo golf carts.
The tour begins by transporting visitors back in time to Santiago de Cuba where on February 4th 1862, Don Facundo Bacardi Masso originally created his Bacardi recipe.
Today rum fans enjoy an entertaining multi-sensory tour, which includes a short film showcasing Bacardi’s early history, step-by-step explanation of the distillation process and live cocktail demo.
Much to my amazement (and glee) the tour is free and includes two Bacardi Mojito drink tickets.
Best Bartender Tools & Cocktail Equipment
Before hosting a swanky Bacardi Mojito soiree you’ll need to ensure you have the best bartender tools and cocktail equipment.
- Cocktail Kit: cocktail kits are the perfect gift for newbie mixology fans as they include basic bartender tools like a jigger, shaker and spoon.
- Cocktail Shaker: a bartender’s best friend. Purchase a premium cocktail shaker to muddle or shake up your favourite pink gin cocktails.
- Cocktail Glassware: make sure your bar is stocked with a selection of unique glassware to show off your favourite cocktail creations.
- Hawthorne Strainer: this unique strainer features tightly wound coils and perforated holes. It keeps ice and other large ingredients like lime wedges in your cocktail shaker rather than in the glass.
- Bar Spoons: slender and long bar spoons are a must-have when stirring drinks.
- Bottle Opener: easily open bottles of beer or cider with the flick of your wrist or purchase a corkscrew for fine wine.
- Pouring Spout: once you’ve opened a new bottle of gin insert these affordable pourers to make cocktail assembly a breeze.
- Cutting Board: purchase a petite cutting board for your bar to slice garnishes or citrus wedges like lime, orange, lemon or grapefruit.
- Ice Bucket: chill bottles of gin quickly in an ice bucket or keep by the bar when muddling gin mixers into cool creations.
- Ice Crusher: fans of the Mint Julep love an ice crusher.
- Ice Cube Kit: we suggest purchasing a selection of ice cube trays. Silicone styles are our favourite as they’re easy to clean and are available in various shapes and sizes.
- Jigger: use a jigger to accurately measure spirits, juices, syrups and shrubs.
- Juicer: invest in an electronic juicer or buy an affordable hand-held to easily juice fresh citrus like lemons and limes.
- Muddler: fans of the Mojito love a sturdy muddler to mix mint and lime. Muddler’s are handy for any cocktail featuring ingredients that need a pounding like fresh herbs or citrus wedges.
- Citrus Peeler & Zester: adorn your craft cocktails with a thick citrus peel or finer ribbons of lime or lemon zest.
- Rimmer: Bloody Mary and Caesar lovers should outfit their bar with a handy rimmer for salting and sugaring glassware.
Best Bacardi Rum
Classic Mojitos are traditionally prepared with white rum. We suggest having fun playing around with the Bacardi rum product line, muddling mojitos with flavoured, spiced and aged dark rums.
- Bacardi Superior: the brands famous white rum.
- Bacardi Gold: rum aged in oak barrels produces a golden coloured spirit.
- Bacardi Black: a medium-bodied black rum, which develops flavour in heavily charred oak barrels.
- Bacardi Spiced: aged in American oak and spiced with natural flavours.
- Bacardi Añejo Cuatro: is aged for 4 years in barrels to produce a premium sipping rum.
- Bacardi Reserva Ocho: this special rum recipe was created in 1862 and is one of the oldest private label rum blends in the world.
- Bacardi Gran Reserva Diez: barrel aged for a minimum of 10 years then filtered through charcoal.
- Bacardi Flavours: add a splash of flavour to your Bacardi Mojito by using rums flavoured with banana, coconut, lemon, raspberry, and lime.
Bacardi Mojito Cocktail Ingredients
This homemade Bacardi Mojito cocktail is made with fresh and healthy ingredients.
- Rum: we suggest using Bacardi Anejo, Bacardi Superior or Bacardi Spiced.
- Lime Juice: only use freshly squeezed lime juice. You can taste the difference when someone incorrectly muddles cocktails with store bought citrus juice.
- Sugar: we’ve used white sugar in this recipe but you could substitute with brown sugar (cane sugar or palm sugar works nicely as well). The molasses in brown sugar gives this cocktail an additional layer of Caribbean flavour.
- Soda Water: we suggest using Fever Tree Club Soda. You could also use sparkling water from your own Soda Stream machine.
- Mint: you can purchase mint or harvest your own in an indoor edible garden.
Bacardi Rum Mojito Tips
This Bacardi Rum Mojito recipe is easy to make at home, ready to serve in under 10 minutes.
We love serving our Bacardi Mojito on hot days in the summer at family barbecues, cottage happy hour and on a sun-soaked patio.
When preparing a traditional mojito, fresh lime juice is added to sugar (or to simple syrup) and mint leaves. The mixture is then gently mashed with a muddler. The mint leaves should only be bruised to release the essential oils and should not be shredded or sliced.
Then rum is added and the mixture is briefly stirred to dissolve the sugar and to lift the mint leaves up from the bottom for better presentation. Finally, the drink is topped with ice and soda water. Mint leaves and lime wedges are used to garnish the glass.
Our Bacardi Mojito recipe below is listed for one person. If you’re hosting a large gathering feel free to multiply the ingredients by the number of guests and muddle the drink in a punch bowl or jug rather than a cocktail shaker.
Serve the drink in a highball or collins glass with whole ice cubes or crushed ice.
You May Also Enjoy Reading…
- Irish Whiskey Sour Drink Cocktail Recipe
- Best Orange Gin & Yellow Gin For Cocktails
- Healthy Cucumber Gin and Tonic Cocktail Recipe
- Bushmills Cocktail: Irish Whiskey and Apple Juice Recipe
- Best Pink Gin Cocktails
- Best Gin Mixers
- Best Gay Cocktail Drinks To Enjoy During Pride
- Gay Bars Puerto Vallarta: Best Clubs, Cantinas and Cabarets
- Best Ottawa Cocktail Bars
- Best Cocktail Bars in Rochester
- Best Cocktails Bars in Calgary
- Best Cocktail Bars in Savannah
- Best Luxury Hotel Cocktail Bars in Hong Kong
- 5 Luxury Hotel Cocktail Bars in Manhattan
- Best Bali Bars for Cocktail Lovers
- Toronto’s Best Craft Cocktails at Bar Chef
- Shake Up Healthy Absolut Cocktails While Prancing Through Pride
- Celebrate TIFF by Sipping Cocktails at Toronto’s Best Luxury Hotels
- Splash Into Summer with These Sparkling Citrus Cocktails
- This Christmas Craft Festive Cocktails with Quality Chocolate
- Procreate Tutorial: How To Draw A Bottle
Best Bacardi Mojito Cocktail Drink Recipe
Bacardi Mojito Cocktail
- Cocktail Shaker
- Shot Glass
- Cocktail Glass
- 2 oz Bacardi Rum
- 4 Lime Wedges
- 12 Fresh Mint Leaves
- 2 tsp White Sugar
- 1 oz Soda Water
- Mint Sprig garnish
- Squeeze lime wedges into a collins glass. Gently press together the limes & sugar.
- Bruise mint leaves by clapping them between your palms, rub them on the rim of the glass and drop into the glass.
- Half fill the glass with ice and add Bacardi rum and stir.
- Top with soda water and garnish with sprig of mint.
Some of the links in this story use affiliate links. This means that if you make a purchase through our site, Dobbernationloves will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps us to produce comprehensive content.
Save this story to Pinterest!