Albondigas al Chipotle is one of our favourite Mexican dinner entrees to cook at home for friends and family.
Albondigas Enchipotladas, also known as MexicanChipotle Meatballs, are quick and easy to make, ready to serve in under an hour.
These moist and tender authentic Mexican minced beef meatballs are served with asmoky tomato tomato sauce, crumbled queso cheese and chopped cilantro.
ServeAlbondigas al Chipotle with warm tortillas, spicy salsas and rice for a hearty main course at a Mexican-themed dinner party.
You’re friends and family will love these spicy and smoky meatballs featuring flavourful ground beef, garlic, tomatoes, cilantro, onion, oregano, cumin, queso fresco and chipotle chiles in adobo sauce.
Save this story to Pinterest!
What AreAlbondigas al Chipotle?
Albondigas al Chipotle, also known as Mexican meatballs in chipotle sauce, are an easy homemade main dish or appetizer we love to serve at lunch or dinner.
Minced beef is combined with onion, garlic, oregano, cumin, panko bread crumbs, and cilantro to form ping pong-ball sized meatballs. The plump beef meatballs are cooked in a spicy tomato sauce featuring Mexican chipotle chiles in adobo.
The dish is garnished with chopped cilantro and crumbled queso cheese.
Our authentic Mexican meatball recipe can be served on its own as a finger food to pass around at a party (stabbed with toothpicks), or with warm tortillas and rice as a main dish.
Travel to Mexico by Cooking Albondigas Enchipotladas at Home
I love traveling to Latin America.
As a professional food and travel journalist, I’ve had the opportunity to enjoy amazing meals in Central America, South America and the Caribbean, from traditional markets to award winning restaurants.
For over ten years, I’ve been on the hunt for the bestAlbondigas al Chipotle recipe. I’ve embarked on culinary adventures at restaurants in Cuba, Belize, Guatemala, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, Jamaica, Puerto Rico, Curacao, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia, Chile, Argentina, Uruguay and Brazil.
In Mexico, I’ve enjoyed traditional Mexican meatballs at restaurants in Puerto Vallarta, Los Cabos, Mexico City, Merida, Chichen Itza and Playa del Carmen.
AuthenticChipotle Meatballs are a quick & easy lunch or dinner recipe featuring plump beef balls swimming in a smoky tomato sauce.
After enjoying your first few bites, you’ll realize why a steaming plate ofAlbondigas al Chipotle is a must-try when visiting Mexico!
Where To Eat SmokyAlbondigas al Chipotle
If you live in a large city in Canada or America you’ll likely have access to a local Mexican restaurant that serves traditionalAlbondigas al Chipotle.
Haven’t traveled to Mexico before? It may be helpful to first sample healthy Mexican Chipotle Meatballs at a local restaurant to better understand how it is served. You’ll get an idea for how many meatballs to serve on each plate, the ideal spicy heat level of the sauce and best side dishes to serve at the table.
In Toronto, the best Mexican restaurants that may serve homemadeAlbondigas al Chipotle include El Rey, La Carnita, Playa Cabana, El Catrin, Campechano, El Trompo, Fonda Lola, Hot Mess Tex Mex, Rosalinda, Reposado Bar, Grand Electric and Milagro.
My Family Loves Mexican Chipotle Meatballs
I love cookingAlbondigas al Chipotle for my friends and family.
The simple Mexican beef dish is quick and easy to make. Its eye-popping appeal is sure to impress your next lunch or dinner guests.
I knew my family would like this classic Mexican entree because they love soft and moist meatballs, smoky tomato sauce and anything covered in cheese.
The recipe has now been added to our favourite meatball recipe list alongside Swedish Meatballs and Bitterballen.
You can makeAlbondigas Enchipotladas to please any palate. When I make this dish at home for myself I often add an additional chopped chipotle chile to increase the heat. When cooking for my parents who have a very low tolerance for spicy food I may only add one chipotle to ensure everyone is happy.
I do suggest serving a variety of hot sauces and salsas at the table so those who enjoy a spicy Mexican meal can increase the heat as they please.
OurAlbondigas al Chipotle recipe is packed full of healthy ingredients!
Onions are a humble vegetable packed with vitamins, minerals and phytochemicals. Regular consumption of leeks can help boost digestive health and reduce the risk of developing heart disease.
It is only recently that scientists have begun to identify the components responsible for garlic’s myriad health benefits. Rich in phytochemicals and potassium, garlic helps boost your immune system, fight cancer and protect your heart.
Rich in a group of phytochemicals called carotenoids, tomatoes may help reduce the risk of heart disease and stroke, and provide protection against cancer. Tomatoes are also a good source of immune-boosting vitamin C.
Chile has been proven to help reduce the duration of sickness, prevent heart disease, and promote weight loss.
A good source of bone-strengthening vitamin K, cilantro is also rich in antioxidants that help protect the eyes from damage by free radicals.
Oregano is rich in antioxidants, may help fight bacteria, could have anti-cancer properties and can decrease inflammation.
A rich source of blood-building iron, cumin may also help balance your blood sugar levels and reduce bad cholesterol. It is also traditionally used as a digestive aid.
Beef is a great source of protein and minerals like iron as well as an excellent source of the amino acid L-carnitine. Beef also features antioxidant glutathione known for its anti-aging benefits.
Consuming dairy products (such as milk and cheese) provides health benefits — especially improved bone health. Dairy foods provide nutrients that are vital for health and maintenance of your body. These nutrients include calcium, potassium, vitamin D, and protein.
Albondigas al Chipotle Recipe Cooking Tips
Albondigas Enchipotladas are quick and easy to make at home.
- Use a large nonstick skillet to reduce splatter when cooking.
- You can purchase canned Chipotle in Adobo Sauce online or at your local Latin American grocer.
- Chipotle in adobo sauce adds a mild heat and smoky flavour to the dish. If you like spicy food feel free to add chopped jalapeno pepper or a few shakes of your favourite hot sauce.
- We’ve used red onions in this recipe but you could substitute for sweet Vidalia onions, white onion or shallots.
- We traditionally serve this recipe with warm tortillas or Mexican rice but you could substitue for nachos.
- We’ve used panko crumbs to create moist meatballs but you could substitute for homemade breadcrumbs.
- We’ve used minced beef in this recipe but you could also prepare meatballs with ground pork, chicken or turkey.
- Before serving sprinkle the meatballs with crumbled queso cheese and chopped cilantro.
What To Serve withAlbondigas al Chipotle
There’s no better way to warm up on a cold day then by forking through a steaming bowl ofAlbondigas al Chipotle.
The simple comfort food recipe is one of our favourite Latin American dishes, featuring tender and moist beef meatballs, smoky tomato sauce and salty crumbled queso cheese.
We typically serve spicy Chipotle Meatballs with Mexican rice, warm tortillas or nachos.
After dinner why not impress your guests with delicious desserts like Fig Frangipane Pistachio Tartlets, Caribbean Coconut Rum Banana Bread Bundt Cake, Maple Black Walnut Ice Cream, Blueberry Cream Cheese Earl Grey Ice Cream, Swedish Ricotta Oatmeal Rhubarb Bars, Baileys Banoffee Cake, Flaky Swedish Rhubarb Cherry Pie, Skittles Sugar Cookies, Lemon Lavender Shortbread Cookies, Oatmeal Cranberry Cookies, Kardemummabullar Swedish Cardamom Buns and Jordgubbstårta Gluten Free Swedish Strawberry Meringue Cake.
You May Also Enjoy These Mexican Recipes…
- Tommy’s Margarita Cocktail
- Mexican Mule Tequila Cocktail
- Air Fryer Nachos Recipe
- Vegetarian Chipotle Mexican Bean Soup Recipe
- Cheesy Vegetarian Antojito Recipe
- Keto Jalapeno Poppers
- Chicken Fajita Tacos
- Healthy Mexican Sweet Potato Rice
- Best Mexican Queso
How To Make TraditionalAlbondigas al Chipotle
Albondigas al Chipotle Meatballs in Chipotle Sauce
- Nonstick Skillet
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- French knife
- Wooden spoon or spatula
- mixing bowl
- baking sheet
- 2 tbsp Canola Oil
- 1 cup Red Onion finely chopped
- Kosher Salt and Black Pepper
- 4 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1 1/2 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1/3 cup Panko
- 1 lb Lean Ground Beef
- 3/4 cup Cilantro chopped
- 14 oz Can Diced Tomatoes
- 2 Chipotle Chilies in Adobo Sauce chopped
- 1/4 cup Queso Fresco crumbled
- In a large skillet over medium heat, warm the oil until sizzling. Add the onion, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, then cook, stirring occasionally until browned, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, oregano, and cumin, then cook, stirring for 30 seconds. Remove from the heat, then transfer 1/2 cup of the mixture to a large mixing bowl; set aside the skillet with the remaining mixture. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Into the bowl with the onion mixture, stir in the panko and 1/2 cup water. Let stand until the panko softens, about 5 minutes. Using a spatula, mash the mixture to a paste, then add the beef, 1/2 cup cilantro and 1 teaspoon of salt and pepper. Mix well, then divide into 16 two-tablespoon portions, rolling each into a ball and placing on the prepared baking sheet. Cover and refrigerate for 15 to 30 minutes. Meanwhile, heat the oven to 450 F with a rack in the middle position.
- Uncover the meatballs and roast until browned and the centre reaches a temperature of 160 F, 12-15 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- To the skillet with the remaining onion mixture, stir in the tomatoes and 1/2 cup water. Bring to a simmer over medium high, then add the chipotle chilies and cook, stirring occasionally, until a spatula drawn through the sauce leaves a trail, about 3 minutes. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Add the meatballs and stir gently to coat with the sauce, then stir in the remaining 1/4 cup of cilantro with sprinkle of queso fresco.
Some of the links in this story use affiliate links. This means that if you make a purchase through our site, Dobbernationloves will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps us to produce comprehensive content.
Save this story to Pinterest!