Nudle S Makem, also known as Poppy Seed Pasta, is a quick and easy dessert from the Czech Republic.
Traditional Czech-style sweet noodle recipes typically feature broad egg noodles like tagliatelle, which are tossed in melted butter, and flavoured with sliced almonds, ground poppy seeds, cinnamon, vanilla, cottage cheese and powdered sugar.
This easy Nudle S Makem recipe is the perfect sweet finish to your next Eastern European dinner party!
Save this story to Pinterest!
What Is Nudle S Makem?
Nudle s Mákem is a Czech sweet treat.
The dish is typically prepared with broad egg noodles, like tagliatelle, tossed in melted butter and sprinkled with a topping consisting of ground poppy seeds and powdered sugar. Cottage cheese can also be added to the dish to add a creamy texture.
Poppy Seed Pasta is a favourite of Czech kids who love eating the traditional dessert made by their grandmas for generations.
Nudle s Mákem is an authentic Czechoslovakian recipe, while in Slovakia it is known as Rezance S Makom.
Poppy Seed Noodles are often served during the Christmas holiday as a festive dessert in the Czech Republic. Some cooks may add roasted nuts, candied orange peel, or raisins to their family Poppy Seed Pasta recipe during the holiday period to make it extra special.
Travel to Czech Republic by Making Nudle S Makem at Home
I love traveling to Europe.
As a professional food and travel journalist, I’ve had the opportunity to enjoy amazing meals in Europe, from traditional markets to award winning restaurants.
During my first visit to the continent I traveled for 5 months by train and plane. I had the opportunity to eat my way through Ireland, Scotland, England, Wales, Portugal, Spain, France, Belgium, Holland, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland,Russia, Estonia, Latvia, Poland, Czech, Germany, Austria, Croatia, Bosnia, Hungary, Slovakia, Greece, Turkey and Italy.
I’ll never forget the first time I tasted Nudle S Makem. I was on a press trip hosted by the Czech beer brand Pilsner Urquell and joined by other food writers and a few famous chefs.
The 3 day trip had us visiting the Pilsner Urquell Brewery in Pilsen as well as the bustling city of Prague.
After spending our first day touring the ancient Pilsner Urquell production facility in Pilsen we dined at the brewery’s on site Restaurant Na Spilce.
The traditional brewpub offers a menu featuring classic Czech fare, all of which pairs perfectly with an ice cold glass of freshly tapped pilsner.
Several small bowls of Czech Poppy Seed Pasta arrived at the table. After twirling the poppy seed dotted buttery noodles with a fork I immediately fell in love with the flavour bomb in my mouth!
After you’ve enjoyed your first taste, you’ll realize why Noodles with Poppy Seeds is a must-try when visiting the Czech Republic!
Where To Eat Czech Poppy Seed Pasta
Haven’t traveled to the Czech Republic before? It may be helpful to first sample Poppy Seed Pasta at a local restaurant to better understand how the sweet noodle dish is served. You can determine the ideal portion size to serve guests, ideal noodle to poppy seed ratio and any additional toppings you’d like to include like cottage cheese, roasted nuts or candied citrus peel.
In Toronto, popular restaurants serving Eastern European dishes that may serve Noodles with Poppy Seeds include Country Style Hungarian, Wvrst, Otto’s Bierhalle, Little Bavaria, Cafe Polonez and Europe Bar and Restaurant.
My Family Loves Poppy Seed Noodles
After traveling to the Czech Republic I returned home keen to recreate some of my favourite dishes for friends and family.
I know my family would love Nudle S Makem because they are pasta fans and adore poppy seed dotted desserts.
Because serving pasta for dessert is very unusual I was looking forward to surprising my parents with this unique dish.
When my mother saw me straining tagliatelle noodles AFTER we had finished dinner she protested that we had already eaten. I told her to be patient and an hour later surprised everyone with bowls of sweet poppy seed noodles!
The addition of fresh cottage cheese to the buttered noodles gave the dish a creamy texture, perfectly paired with cinnamon spiced ground poppy seeds.
If you’ve got a few bags of dried egg noodles stowed away in your cupboards this Poppy Seed Pasta recipe is the perfect way to use them up while surprising guests at your next dinner party.
Nudle S Makem Health Benefits
Our homemade Poppy Seed Pasta recipe is packed full of wholesome ingredients!
Containing more protein, fibre, vitamin E and calcium that other nuts, almonds may reduce the risk of heart disease, keep your bones healthy, and help your body absorb essential nutrients.
Rich in energy-boosting manganese, cinnamon is also antibacterial and may protect your brain against Alzheimer’s disease.
Consuming dairy products (such as milk and cheese) provides health benefits — especially improved bone health. Dairy foods provide nutrients that are vital for health and maintenance of your body. These nutrients include calcium, potassium, vitamin D, and protein.
Poppy seeds are often said to promote digestion, boost skin and hair health, and treat headaches, coughs, and asthma.
Czech Poppy Seed Pasta Recipe Cooking Tips
This Noodles with Poppy Seeds recipe is quick and easy to make at home. We’ve included a few cooking tips:
- We’ve used dried tagliatelle egg noodles in this recipe but you can also purchase fresh noodles. We recommend using a broad pasta noodles as they are traditional in the Czech Republic but you can use any pasta you have in your cupboard.
- We suggest using unsalted butter in this recipe as it is a dessert.
- We’ve used toasted sliced almonds in this recipe to give it a nice crunch but you could substitute with chopped roasted walnuts, hazelnuts or pecans.
- You can grind poppy seeds in a a spice/coffee grinder, food processor, Magic Bullet or in a Mortar & Pestle.
- We’ve used runny cottage cheese in this recipe but you can substitute with ricotta cheese or mascarpone.
What To Serve with Nudle S Makem
We suggest serving Nudle S Makem as a dessert after a Czech or Eastern European themed dinner party. Enjoy a bowl of Poppy Seed Pasta with a pot of tea or coffee.
Czech noodles can also be served as a main course, by grandmothers doting on their sweets-loving grandkids.
If you’re looking to make the dish even more hearty add a few spoonfuls of applesauce or grated pear on top.
You May Also Enjoy These Eastern European Recipes:
- Schwäbische Käsespätzle German Cheese Noodles
- Speckknödel German Bread Bacon Dumplings
- Semmelknödel German Bread Dumplings
- Kartoffelknödel German Potato Dumplings
- German Pork Rouladen with Bacon, Apple & Pickles
- Flädlesuppe German Pancake Soup
- Paprikas Csirke Hungarian Chicken Paprikash
- Ogorkowa Zupa Polish Dill Pickle Soup
- Polish Sour Rye Zurek Soup
- Mizeria Creamy Polish Cucumber Salad
- How To Make Homemade Pierogies
- Romanian Soup Ciorba de Perisoare
How To Make Nudle S Makem Czech Poppy Seed Pasta
Nudle S Makem Czech Poppy Seed Noodles
- Large pot
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- Mixing bowls
- 7 oz Fresh Tagliatelle
- 5 tbsp Butter
- 2 oz Toasted Sliced Almonds
- 1 1/3 cups Ground Poppy Seeds
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1 tbsp White Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2/3 cup Cottage Cheese
- 3 tbsp Powdered Sugar
- Cook the pasta in salted boiling water for 4-6 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a pan, add the almonds, ground poppy seeds, cinnamon, vanilla extract, white sugar, and cook, covered over low heat for 2-3 minutes.
- In a small bowl mix together cottage cheese and powdered sugar.
- Serve the noodles hot, topped with sweetened cottage cheese and the poppy seeds and almonds. Dust with powdered sugar.
Some of the links in this story use affiliate links. This means that if you make a purchase through our site, Dobbernationloves will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps us to produce comprehensive content.
Save this story to Pinterest!