A festive Sherry Flip is our favourite craft cocktail to serve at Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Take a sensory trip to Spain while slurping a quick & easy spin on the classic Cream Sherry Cocktail.
Our Sherry Flip recipe is best served as a substitue to Eggnog during holiday parties.
The chic drink features Cream Sherry, fresh lemon juice, honey, egg, Angostura Bitters, ground cardamom and finely chopped pistachio.
Save this story to Pinterest!
What Is A Sherry Flip?
The term “flip cocktail” is said to have been used as far back as the late 1600s to describe a mixture of beer, rum and sugar cooked at high heat, resulting in what is essentially the 17th-century version of the worst hangover instigator imaginable.
By the 19th century, the flip had evolved into a fully upright drink defined as a combination of a spirit or fortified wine, sugar and egg—shaken with ice, and served up with nutmeg grated over the top.
While there are a number of spirits that make for a fine flip, the deep, walnuty character of cream sherry—and its higher level of glycerol—combined with the creaminess of an entire egg results in what Jerry Thomas, in his 1887 version of How To Mix Drinks, aptly describes as a “very delicious drink that gives strength to delicate people.”
A cold weather fortifier, the Sherry Flip Cocktail does well during the holidays as a less polarizing—and less boozy—stand in for eggnog.
What Is Cream Sherry?
Sherry, a wine which is truly unique in the world, is exclusively produced in the wine-growing region of Jerez, Spain. It is situated in a triangle of land formed by the towns of Jerez de la Frontera, Sanlúcar de Barrameda and El Puerto de Santa María.
Cream sherry is the general name for different kinds of sweetened sherries, usually produced by blending a dry wine like Oloroso with naturally sweet Pedro Ximénez or Moscatel wines.
Cream Sherry, the famed sweet sherry, is a full-bodied dessert wine with a bouquet of roasted nuts with a velvety smooth texture on the palate. Its variant, pale cream sherry is a light and fresh wine with a pale gold color. It displays hazelnut and dough aromas and a delicate sweetness on the palate.
Our favourite Cream Sherry Cocktail is this festive Sherry Flip recipe.
Travel To Spain To Sip a Cream Sherry Cocktail
There’s no better way to familiarize yourself with a traditional Sherry Flip cocktail recipe then by planning a thirst quenching vacation to Spain.
We’ve road tripped all over Spain in search of the best cream sherry cocktail. Our favourite destinations in Spain include Malaga, Granada, Cordoba and Seville in Andalucia, Ibiza, Mallorca, Valencia, Toledo, Salamanca, Barcelona and Madrid.
Craft cocktail lovers should plan a road trip to Jerez to fully immerse themselves in the history, production and culinary culture of sherry.
After taking a tour of the region’s award winning sherry distilleries and bodegas, visit a local bar to sip a well balanced cream sherry cocktail.
You can pair a Sherry Flip with popular Spanish dishes like Ensalada de Gambas, Flaó Ibizan Cheese Mint Tart, Berenjenas con Miel Spanish Fried Eggplant, Smoky Albondigas Tapas Spanish Meatballs, and Sopa de Ajo Easy Spanish Garlic Soup.
Traditional Sherry Flip Cocktail Ingredients
Our Cream Sherry Cocktail is made with premium ingredients.
- Cream Sherry: is a fortified wine blend produced in Spain.
- Lemon Juice: use freshly squeezed lemons not concentrate. Your guests can taste the difference!
- Honey: use this natural sweetener or substitute with maple syrup.
- Egg: the egg yolk gives the sherry flip its rich & creamy texture while the white produces the desired foam on top after being vigorously shaken with ice.
- Angostura Bitters: rounds out the flavour profile of the drink.
- Ground Cardamom: garnish the glass with this festive spice or substitute for a more traditional dusting of ground nutmeg.
- Ground Pistachio: finely chopped pistachios add an eye popping green hue to the top of the drink and a desired nuttiness.
Sherry Flip Cocktail Recipe Tips
This Sherry Flip recipe is easy to make at home, ready to serve in under 10 minutes.
We love serving this festive Cream Sherry Cocktail during the Christmas and New Years holidays. It’s an excellent substitute for eggnog.
Be sure to pour the shaken ingredients into the glass through a strainer to remove any chunks of raw egg.
Our Sherry Flip recipe is listed for one person. If you’re hosting a large gathering feel free to multiply the ingredients by the number of guests and muddle the drink in a punch bowl or jug rather than a cocktail shaker.
Serve the drink in rocks or coup glass garnished with dusting of ground cardamom and finely chopped pistachio.
Other Christmas Holiday Cocktails You May Enjoy…
- Holiday Christmas Old Fashioned Cocktail
- Gin and Cranberry Juice Cocktail
- Christmas Vegan Eggnog Aquafaba Cocktail
- Vodka Blood Orange Cocktail
- Pomegranate Gin Fizz Cocktail
- Chocolate Kahlua Espresso Martini Cocktail
- White Russian Amarula Cocktail
- Ginger Whiskey Pear Cocktail
- Italian Prosecco and Gin Cocktail
- Raspberry Gin Fizz Chambord Cocktail
Best Bartender Tools & Cocktail Equipment
Before hosting a swanky Sherry Flip Cocktail soiree you’ll need to ensure you have the best bartender tools and cocktail equipment.
- Cocktail Kit: cocktail kits are the perfect gift for newbie mixology fans as they include basic bartender tools like a jigger, shaker and spoon.
- Cocktail Shaker: a bartender’s best friend. Purchase a premium cocktail shaker to muddle or shake up your favourite pink gin cocktails.
- Cocktail Glassware: make sure your bar is stocked with a selection of unique glassware to show off your favourite cocktail creations.
- Hawthorne Strainer: this unique strainer features tightly wound coils and perforated holes. It keeps ice and other large ingredients like lime wedges in your cocktail shaker rather than in the glass.
- Bar Spoons: slender and long bar spoons are a must-have when stirring drinks.
- Bottle Opener: easily open bottles of beer or cider with the flick of your wrist or purchase a corkscrew for fine wine.
- Pouring Spout: once you’ve opened a new bottle of gin insert these affordable pourers to make cocktail assembly a breeze.
- Cutting Board: purchase a petite cutting board for your bar to slice garnishes or citrus wedges like lime, orange, lemon or grapefruit.
- Ice Bucket: chill bottles of gin quickly in an ice bucket or keep by the bar when muddling gin mixers into cool creations.
- Ice Crusher: fans of the Mint Julep love an ice crusher.
- Ice Cube Kit: we suggest purchasing a selection of ice cube trays. Silicone styles are our favourite as they’re easy to clean and are available in various shapes and sizes.
- Jigger: use a jigger to accurately measure spirits, juices, syrups and shrubs.
- Juicer: invest in an electronic juicer or buy an affordable hand-held to easily juice fresh citrus like lemons and limes.
- Muddler: fans of the Mojito love a sturdy muddler to mix mint and lime. Muddler’s are handy for any cocktail featuring ingredients that need a pounding like fresh herbs or citrus wedges.
- Citrus Peeler & Zester: adorn your craft cocktails with a thick citrus peel or finer ribbons of lime or lemon zest.
- Rimmer: Bloody Mary and Caesar lovers should outfit their bar with a handy rimmer for salting and sugaring glassware.
You May Also Enjoy These Craft Cocktail Recipes…
- Aperol Negroni Cocktail
- Dark Rum Manhattan Cocktail
- Fresh Sage Gin Cocktail
- Gin Basil Smash Cocktail
- Lemon Drop Martini Limoncello Cocktail
- Blackberry Brandy Cocktail
- Aperol Aquavit Cocktail
- Liquore Strega Saffron Yellow Gin Cocktail
- Peach Whiskey Sour Cocktail
- Frozen Mezcal Paloma Slushie Cocktail
How To Make A Classic Sherry Flip Cocktail
Spiced Sherry Flip Cocktail
- Cocktial Glass
- Shot Glass
- Cocktail Shaker
- Cocktail Strainer
- 2 oz Cream Sherry
- 1/2 oz Lemon Juice
- 1 oz Honey
- 1 Egg beaten
- 3 dashes Bitters
- Dash Ground Cardamom
- 1/8 tsp Ground Pistachio
- Combine the sherry, lemon juice, honey, egg and bitters. Add ice and vigorously shake 30 seconds to chill. Double strain into a rocks or coup glass.
- Garnish with ground cardamom and pistachio.
Some of the links in this story use affiliate links. This means that if you make a purchase through our site, Dobbernationloves will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps us to produce comprehensive content.
Save this story to Pinterest!