Looking for the best Vodka Blood Orange cocktail recipe?
Our quick & easy festive Blood Orange Vodka Cocktail recipe is a fun and refreshing holiday Christmas drink thanks to its red and green eye-appeal.
Blood Oranges are typically in season from December to early Spring so the holidays is the best time of year to serve your guests from a celebratory Vodka Blood Orange punch bowl.
The homemade blood orange drink features premium vodka, blood orange juice, San Pellegrino Aranciata Rossa, soda water, mint sprig and blood orange slice.
Save this story to Pinterest!
Flavour Festive Vodka Cocktails with Blood Orange
The blood orange is a variety of orange with crimson, almost blood-colored flesh. The distinctive dark flesh colour is attributed to the presence of anthocyanins, a family of polyphenol pigments common to many flowers and fruit, but uncommon in citrus fruits. Chrysanthemin is the main compound found in red oranges.
Blood oranges have a unique flavour compared to other oranges, being distinctly raspberry-like in addition to the usual citrus notes. The anthocyanin pigments of blood oranges begin accumulating in the vesicles at the edges of the segments, and at the blossom end of the fruit, and continue accumulating in cold storage after harvest.
The blood orange is a natural mutation of the orange, which is itself a hybrid, between the pomelo and the tangerine. Within Europe, the arancia rossa di Sicilia (red orange of Sicily) has Protected Geographical Status. In the Valencian in Spain, it was introduced in the second half of the 19th century.
Blood oranges tend to be easier to peel than other oranges and often have fewer seeds. Their season is typically from December through April, so they can be harder to find and more expensive than other common oranges. The seasonality of the citrus fruit makes it a perfect drink idea for a holiday Christmas party.
Our Vodka Blood Orange Cocktail features fresh blood orange juice, San Pellegrino Aranciata Rossa (an Italian sparkling soda flavoured with blood oranges) and a fresh blood orange slice garnish.
Best Selling Vodka
Here are some of the world’s best selling vodka brands and our local small batch favourites:
- Grey Goose: the world’s top selling premium vodka has been produced in France since the 1990s.
- Belvedere: is a close second for world’s favourite premium vodka brand. The Polish rye vodka is named after Belweder, the Polish presidential palace in Warsaw.
- Stolichnaya: also known as Stoli, is produced in Riga, Latvia. The brand produces a wide variety of flavoured vodkas, perfect for seasonal cocktail parties.
- Titos: began as a small-batch vodka brand distilled in Texas. Today, it’s recognized as the best selling vodka in America. Titos is made from corn, making it a gluten-free friendly spirit.
- Ketel One: is a Dutch premium vodka brand with a flavour palette offering hints of honey and citrus.
- Absolut: is an iconic Swedish distiller and was the top selling vodka brand globally for decades. The brand offers a colourful collection of flavoured vodka bottles.
- Smirnoff: this Russian brand was founded in Moscow and today sells 39 different vodka flavours.
- Iceberg Vodka: the top selling vodka in Canada is made from icebergs off the coast of Newfoundland.
- Dillon’s Distillery: This Beamsville, Ontario producer makes 2 small batch vodkas near Niagara.
Best Bartender Tools & Cocktail Equipment
Before hosting a swanky Blood Orange Vodka Cocktail soiree you’ll need to ensure you have the best bartender tools and cocktail equipment.
- Cocktail Kit: cocktail kits are the perfect gift for newbie mixology fans as they include basic bartender tools like a jigger, shaker and spoon.
- Cocktail Shaker: a bartender’s best friend. Purchase a premium cocktail shaker to muddle or shake up your favourite pink gin cocktails.
- Cocktail Glassware: make sure your bar is stocked with a selection of unique glassware to show off your favourite cocktail creations.
- Hawthorne Strainer: this unique strainer features tightly wound coils and perforated holes. It keeps ice and other large ingredients like lime wedges in your cocktail shaker rather than in the glass.
- Bar Spoons: slender and long bar spoons are a must-have when stirring drinks.
- Bottle Opener: easily open bottles of beer or cider with the flick of your wrist or purchase a corkscrew for fine wine.
- Pouring Spout: once you’ve opened a new bottle of gin insert these affordable pourers to make cocktail assembly a breeze.
- Cutting Board: purchase a petite cutting board for your bar to slice garnishes or citrus wedges like lime, orange, lemon or grapefruit.
- Ice Bucket: chill bottles of gin quickly in an ice bucket or keep by the bar when muddling gin mixers into cool creations.
- Ice Crusher: fans of the Mint Julep love an ice crusher.
- Ice Cube Kit: we suggest purchasing a selection of ice cube trays. Silicone styles are our favourite as they’re easy to clean and are available in various shapes and sizes.
- Jigger: use a jigger to accurately measure spirits, juices, syrups and shrubs.
- Juicer: invest in an electronic juicer or buy an affordable hand-held to easily juice fresh citrus like lemons and limes.
- Muddler: fans of the Mojito love a sturdy muddler to mix mint and lime. Muddler’s are handy for any cocktail featuring ingredients that need a pounding like fresh herbs or citrus wedges.
- Citrus Peeler & Zester: adorn your craft cocktails with a thick citrus peel or finer ribbons of lime or lemon zest.
- Rimmer: Bloody Mary and Caesar lovers should outfit their bar with a handy rimmer for salting and sugaring glassware.
Vodka Blood Orange Cocktail Ingredients
Our sparkling Vodka Blood Orange cocktail is made with fresh and healthy ingredients.
- Vodka: we suggest using Grey Goose, Stoli or Iceberg vodka.
- Blood Orange Juice: we suggest squeezing your own blood oranges as fresh juice is unbeatable. If you’re making this drink outside of the growing season you could use Blood Orange Puree as a substitute.
- San Pellegrino Aranciata Rossa: this Italian soda is flavoured with blood oranges and easy to find at your local grocery store.
- Soda Water: we suggest using premium Fever Tree Club Soda. You could also use sparkling water from your own Soda Stream machine.
- Mint: you can purchase mint or harvest your own in an indoor edible garden.
Vodka Blood Orange Cocktail Tips
This Vodka Blood Orange drink recipe is easy to make at home, ready to serve in under 5 minutes.
We love serving our Vodka Blood Orange cocktail during the Christmas holiday season when blood oranges first hit grocery store shelves. The red and green colour of the drink is absolutely festive, getting everyone into the holiday spirit!
Pair the festive holiday cocktail with some of our favourite Christmas recipes such as Festive Fresh Fig Frangipane Pistachio Tartlets, Oatmeal Cranberry Cookies, Gevulde Speculaas Dutch Cherry Almond Spice Cookies, Ginger Spiced Banana Pear Muffins, Kardemummabullar Swedish Cardamom Buns, Banana Pumpkin Muffins and Sweet Potato Muffins.
If you don’t like soda water and enjoy a sweeter sip feel free to replace with tonic water.
Our Vodka Blood Orange recipe below is listed for one person. If you’re hosting a large gathering feel free to multiply the ingredients by the number of guests and muddle the drink in a punch bowl or jug rather than a cocktail shaker.
Serve the drink in your prettiest glassware with whole ice cubes or crushed ice.
You May Also Enjoy These Cocktail Recipes…
- Irish Whiskey Sour Drink Cocktail Recipe
- Best Orange Gin & Yellow Gin For Cocktails
- Healthy Cucumber Gin and Tonic Cocktail Recipe
- Bushmills Cocktail: Irish Whiskey and Apple Juice Recipe
- Best Pink Gin Cocktails
- Best Gin Mixers
- Best Gay Cocktail Drinks To Enjoy During Pride
- Gay Bars Puerto Vallarta: Best Clubs, Cantinas and Cabarets
- Best Ottawa Cocktail Bars
- Best Cocktail Bars in Rochester
- Best Cocktails Bars in Calgary
- Best Cocktail Bars in Savannah
- Best Luxury Hotel Cocktail Bars in Hong Kong
- 5 Luxury Hotel Cocktail Bars in Manhattan
- Best Bali Bars for Cocktail Lovers
- Toronto’s Best Craft Cocktails at Bar Chef
- Shake Up Healthy Absolut Cocktails While Prancing Through Pride
- Celebrate TIFF by Sipping Cocktails at Toronto’s Best Luxury Hotels
- Splash Into Summer with These Sparkling Citrus Cocktails
- This Christmas Craft Festive Cocktails with Quality Chocolate
- Procreate Tutorial: How To Draw A Bottle
How To Make A Vodka Blood Orange Cocktail Recipe
Vodka Blood Orange Cocktail
- Cocktail Glass
- Shot Glass
- 2 oz Vodka
- 2 oz Blood Orange Juice
- 2 oz San Pellegrino Aranciata Rossa
- 1 oz Soda Water
- Blood Orange Slice garnish
- Mint Sprig garnish
- Fill a rocks glass with ice.
- Add the vodka, blood orange juice and San Pellegrino Aranciata Rossa. Top with soda water.
- Garnish with blood orange slice and fresh mint sprig.
Some of the links in this story use affiliate links. This means that if you make a purchase through our site, Dobbernationloves will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps us to produce comprehensive content.
Save this story to Pinterest!