Looking to learn how to bake the best homemade Vegan & Vegetarian Muffins?
Our comprehensive Vegetarian Muffins recipe list features over 30 sweet and savoury muffin recipes.
Vegan & Vegetarian muffins are a yummy meal idea for an on the go breakfast, bread roll replacement, midday snack or healthy dessert.
Many of the most popular Vegetarian Muffins are vegan, low fat, high in fibre and full of nutritious fresh fruit and vegetables.
Save this story to Pinterest!
Best Healthy Vegetarian Muffins
Canadians and Americans love baking muffins. The easy baked treats are celebrated for being easy to make, a great way to use up old fruit and vegetables in the fridge and store well in the fridge and freezer.
We’ve developed Vegetarian Muffins that are flavourful rifts on classic recipes. Here’s how we ensure our muffin recipes are nutritious for your family:
- Fibre: We typically use (or suggest) a mix of All Purpose Flour and Whole Wheat Flour. Add whole wheat flour to your recipe without compromising the ideal mouthfeel of the muffin crumb. We also regularly add flax meal, bran and oats for additional fibre.
- Protein: We typically add organic free range eggs to our muffin recipes and help increase the moisture of the muffin by adding wholesome milk and Greek yogurt. Use Greek yogurt over plain yogurt as it has more protein and its thick texture helps ensure a sturdy muffin structure. We use cheeses to flavour our muffins but do not use any meat products. All of these muffin recipes are vegetarian friendly.
- Fruit & Vegetables: We always use fresh fruits and vegetables when baking vegetarian muffins. They infuse the batter with healthy minerals and vitamins. We like to overload our muffins with berries and grated vegetables so you can really taste their unique flavour in each bite. You’ll notice many of our recipes include twice the amount of fruit you’d typically see in a traditional muffin. Don’t fret! We’ve adjusted the other ingredients in the recipe to ensure the overall muffin bakes to perfection! For example, we took a classic banana muffin recipe and reduced the oil and sugar by adding twice the amount of pureed banana along with Greek yogurt. The final muffin is crunchy on the outside and soft and moist on the inside, with far less calories!
- Fat: We typically use melted butter or healthy vegetable oils like canola oil in our muffin recipes. We do not suggest using lard, vegetable shortening or margarine. Pack your pantry with fats that are all natural and vegetarian.
- Sugar: We typically use white sugar, brown sugar, molasses and honey in small quantities. We’ve reduced the sugar in our recipes by adding additional fruit.
Once you’ve read through our vegetarian muffins list you may scratch your head and wonder why we’ve included Peanut Butter Chocolate Muffins and Sticky Toffee Pudding Muffins.
We don’t believe every vegetarian muffin recipe has to be low calorie and high fibre. We treat these dessert muffin recipes as a healthy alternative to a slice of cake or donut. It’s easy to treat yourself to vegetarian muffins year round, even on special occasions like birthdays, Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Best Muffin Tools & Equipment
Before making a batch of your favourite Vegetarian Muffins make sure your kitchen is outfitted with essential bakers tools.
- Mixing Bowl Set: It’s important to have a set of durable mixing bowls. We love stainless steel mixing bowls with a good grip. When making muffins you’ll typically need a large mixing bowl to sift your dry ingredients into, and a medium or small mixing bowl to beat your wet ingredients.
- Measuring Cups: Ensure you have a set of measuring cups with a flat top rather than a spout, so you can easily use a knife to level off your dry ingredients like flour and sugar.
- Measuring Spoons: We love these durable stainless steel measuring spoons that will help you accurately measure spices, baking soda and baking powder.
- Whisk: This stainless steel whisk has a great grip and is helpful when beating eggs into other wet ingredients.
- Sieve: It’s essential to have this tool in your kitchen so you can ensure all your dry ingredients are separated and don’t clump in the wet batter.
- Bakers Scale: Use this digital scale to weigh flour and other ingredients that require a weight measurement.
- Spatula: We love this rubber spatula as it also acts as a spoon so you can easily drop batter into each greased muffin cup.
- Muffin Tins: We only use silicone muffin tins as they allow you to easily remove baked muffins from the tin with minimal baking spray required.
- Baking Spray: Ensure your cupboards are stocked with baking spray so your muffins don’t get stubborn and refuse to slide out of the pan.
- Cooling Rack: A sturdy cooling rack is a must to ensure your muffins cool without falling apart or getting soggy. They need breathing space to let out the steam before storing.
- Storage Containers: We love doubling our muffin recipes so we have leftovers to store in the fridge or freezer to enjoy later.
These are our go-to vegetarian muffins for banana lovers.
Moist Buttermilk Banana Muffins feature healthy whole wheat flour, oats, cinnamon, nutmeg, vegetable oil, ripe bananas, egg and buttermilk.
Scatter a few chocolate chips into the batter for sweet treat or leave them out entirely.
Looking to make vegetarian muffins during the Fall? We love making these Ginger Spiced Banana Pear Muffins in the Autumn around Thanksgiving when plump pears are in season.
The recipe features nutritious eggs, buttermilk, banana, pear, whole wheat flour, oats, cinnamon and ginger.
Top each muffin with a thinly sliced pear and sprinkle with chopped crystallized ginger for a show-stopping spiced muffin.
Looking to make vegetarian muffins during Halloween? We love making these Banana Pumpkin Muffins in the Autumn during the spookiest time of year when pumpkins are a plenty!
The recipe features nutritious eggs, canola oil, banana, pumpkin, Greek yogurt, cinnamon, pecans and rolled oats.
Looking to make vegetarian muffins during the summer for your kids? We love baking these Strawberry Cream Cheese Muffins in July and August when fresh berries are in season across Ontario.
The recipe features nutritious eggs, fresh strawberries, milk, cream cheese, vegetable oil and lemon juice.
Looking to make vegetarian muffins during Thanksgiving? We love making these Sweet Potato Muffins in the Autumn when sweet potatoes are in season.
The recipe features nutritious eggs, canola oil, sweet potato, rolled oats, ground flaxseed, whole wheat flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, raisins, pecans and ginger.
Top each muffin with chopped crystallized ginger and roasted pecans for a show-stopping spiced muffin.
Looking to make vegetarian muffins during the spring? We love baking these Banana Rhubarb Muffins in May and June when the rhubarb plant in our backyard has boomed.
The recipe features nutritious eggs, nutmeg, cinnamon, rhubarb, bananas and yogurt.
These are our go-to vegetarian muffins when looking for a creative bread roll replacement at the dinner table.
The recipe features nutritious onions, milk, eggs, canola oil, cheddar cheese and parmesan cheese.
Looking for vegetarian muffins that help you use up those dried prunes loitering in the back of your cupboard?
We love baking these Banana Prune Muffins as a quick grab and go breakfast, during tea time or a midday coffee break.
The recipe features nutritious rolled oats, eggs, yogurt, banana, apple, milk, carrot, prunes and walnuts.
Looking for a healthy muffin recipe that is fun, unexpected and delicious?
We love baking these Kiwi Muffins whenever we have kiwifruit laying around the fridge. You’ll rarely find kiwi included in baked recipes but they really shine here when added on top of each muffin.
The recipe features nutritious kiwifruit, rolled oats, cinnamon, nutmeg, yogurt, vegetable oil and eggs.
Looking for healthy vegetarian muffins for apple lovers?
We love baking these Bran Apple Muffins with Applesauce for a quick on the go breakfast when we know we have a busy week ahead.
The high fibre recipe features nutritious apple sauce, fresh apples, All Bran cereal, milk, canola oil, egg and cinnamon.
Looking to make healthy muffins for kids during the summer? We love baking these Peach Cobbler Muffins in July and August when fresh peaches are in season in Niagara.
The recipe features nutritious eggs, cinnamon, nutmeg, yogurt, vegetable oil, peaches, pecans and rolled oats.
Looking to make vegetarian muffins as a dessert? We love baking these Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Muffins for a birthday party as they’re a healthier option to icing-covered cupcakes. It helps that they have a secret surprise inside, and are finger licking good too!
The recipe features nutritious eggs, oatmeal, peanut butter, banana, milk and peanuts.
Looking to make vegetarian muffins for Valentine’s Day or Mother’s Day? We love baking these Rhubarb Muffins with Strawberry Cream Cheese when pink and red baked goods are all the rage.
These Rhubarb Muffins are extra special for celebrating with family as they have a secret cream cheese filling inside.
The recipe features nutritious eggs, rolled oats, milk, vegetable, oil, rhubarb and strawberry cream cheese.
Looking to make healthy muffins inspired by delicious donuts?
We love baking these Old Fashioned Jam Donut Muffins as a healthier rift on the classic deep fried dessert. The recipe mimics old fashioned donuts by rolling the muffin in lemon sugar. Your guests will love the sweet surprise inside, featuring a scoop of your favourite fruit jam.
The recipe features nutritious nutmeg, cinnamon, vegetable oil, eggs, milk, raspberries and lemon.
Looking for vegetarian muffins that use up fresh and dried figs?
We love baking these Fig Muffins when we’re keen to enjoy a simple breakfast or brunch. Serve a hot Fresh Fig Muffin with a bowl of yogurt and granola and enjoy while sipping a hot mug of coffee in the morning.
The recipe features nutritious fresh figs, dried figs, cinnamon, nutmeg, yogurt, vegetable oil, eggs, walnuts and rolled oats.
We suggest baking these healthy-ish Apple Fritter Muffins as a treat for the family instead of deep frying homemade apple fritter donuts.
In our family they are particularly popular in the autumn when fresh apples are in season. Take your kids out for a morning hike and treat them to these glazed muffins as a well-earned tasty reward!
The recipe features nutritious apples, cinnamon, eggs and buttermilk.
Looking to make vegetarian muffins inspired by the best British dessert?
We love baking these Banana and Date Muffins as a healthier rift on the classic English Sticky Toffee Pudding.
The recipe features nutritious dried dates, eggs, vegetable oil and banana.
This recipe is a marriage of our two favourite muffins: carrot muffins and banana muffins.
They’re sure to impress even the most picky easter at breakfast thanks to their crunchy exterior, moist crumb and heavenly aroma.
The recipe features nutritious canola oil, eggs, whole wheat flour, ground flax, rolled oats, cinnamon, nutmeg, bananas, raisins, carrots and milk.
Looking to make vegetarian muffins during the summer? We love baking these Blueberry Earl Grey Muffins in July and August when fresh bush berries are in season in Muskoka.
The recipe features nutritious milk, canola oil, Greek yogurt, lemon, eggs, whole wheat flour, blueberries, cinnamon and pecans.
This spicy recipe is a marriage of our favourite sweet and savoury muffins: cheddar cheese muffins and apple muffins.
We love serving these muffins hot, slathered in butter, whipped cream cheese, ricotta, mascarpone or Greek yogurt.
The recipe features nutritious ginger, eggs, milk, cheddar cheese and fresh apples.
Looking for vegetarian muffins for kids that are a guaranteed crowd pleaser? Our Banana Oat Chocolate Chip Muffins are the most popular muffin in the family, devoured by little kids and adults alike.
We love serving these muffins hot slathered in butter, whipped cream cheese, ricotta, mascarpone or yogurt. They’re a perfect accompaniment to tea time or your morning coffee.
The recipe features nutritious rolled oats, milk, Greek yogurt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ground flax, shredded coconut, eggs and bananas.
Looking for vegetarian muffins perfect for a tiny toddlers appetite? Our Mini Blueberry Muffins are tiny treats perfect for little kids or grownups looking to control their portions.
We love serving these muffins in the summer when blueberries are in season and infuse the batter with fresh lemon juice. They pair perfectly with a hot pot of Earl Grey tea.
The recipe features nutritious blueberries, eggs, milk, Greek yogurt and lemon juice.
Looking for healthy muffin recipes that are packed full of fibre? We guarantee our High Fibre Blueberry Banana Muffins will be a new family favourite!
We love serving these vegetarian muffins as a quick and easy breakfast alongside a bowl of yogurt and fresh fruit.
The recipe features nutritious blueberries, wheat bran, flax meal, cinnamon, nutmeg, eggs, bananas, Greek yogurt, canola oil, milk and oatmeal.
These are one of our favourite muffins to bake during the Fall and Autumn season, especially at Thanksgiving.
The recipe features nutritious whole wheat flour, flax meal, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, carrots, apple, pear, raisins, dried apricots, pecans, coconut, eggs, oats, pumpkin, milk, canola oil and pumpkin seeds.
Top each muffin with pumpkin seeds for a show-stopping spiced muffin.
If you asked my mom what her favourite vegetarian muffins are she’d point you to this recipe. Mostly because it’s hers and she made it for us all the time when we were little kids at the cottage.
The recipe features nutritious blueberries, eggs, milk and lemon.
These classic Carrot Raisin Muffins are always a crowd pleaser at the family brunch table.
The recipe features nutritious canola oil, eggs, whole wheat flour, flax, oats, raisins, carrots and milk.
Looking to find an easy muffin recipe to bake with your kids? This simple banana muffin recipe is the first muffin recipe I learned how to bake. I’d make these muffins all the time in elementary school for my family. I was known as the families Muffin Savant.
The recipe features nutritious banana and eggs.
These are our go-to vegetarian muffins when looking for a spicy savoury baked bread.
The recipe features nutritious cornmeal, cheddar cheese, corn, jalapeno peppers, canola oil and eggs.
These are our go-to healthy muffins when looking for an easy veggie packed vegan recipe.
These easy vegan muffins are packed with protein, fiber and healthy fats. They are slightly sweet and perfectly spiced with a dash of cinnamon, pick eaters won’t even have a clue they’re filled with fresh veggies.
The recipe feature nutritious zucchini, carrot, apple, cranberries, pecans, lemon, chia, whole wheat flour, cinnamon and nutmeg.
Save this story to Pinterest!