Looking for the best homemade Sticky Toffee Banana and Date Muffins recipe?
You can prepare our easy banana and date muffins at home in less than one hour.
Our recipe has transformed classic Banana and Date Muffins into a moist and perfectly sticky Toffee Pudding.
Save this story to Pinterest!
A muffin is an individual-sized, baked product most commonly associated with morning mealtime. It’s one of the most popular on-the-go breakfasts that can easily be made ahead and stored in the freezer to enjoy later.
Muffins can refer to two distinct baked goods, a part-raised unsweetened flatbread that is baked and then cooked on a griddle, and a cupcake-like sweet or savoury quickbread that is leavened with baking powder and baked in a mold.
While the most common quickbread muffins are sweetened (such as lemon blueberry muffins, mincemeat muffins and morning glory muffins), there are also savoury varieties such as jalapeno cheddar cornbread muffins and Cheddar Apple Muffins.
One 19th century source suggests that muffins may be related to the Greek bread maphula, a cake baked on a hearth or griddle. Culinary historians also look to the Old French mou-pain, meaning soft bread, which may have been corrupted into “mouffin.”
The word is first found in print in 1703, spelled moofin; it is of uncertain origin but possibly derived from the Low German Muffen, the plural of Muffe meaning a small cake. The expression muffin-man, meaning a street seller of muffins, is attested in a 1754 poem, which includes the line: “Hark! the shrill Muffin-Man his Carol plies…”
One of Canada’s top selling cookbooks of the 1980s was Muffin Mania, which helped popularize muffin making from Newfoundland to British Columbia. Homemade muffins were originally prepared as a healthy breakfast option, high-fibre mid-afternoon snack or individual dessert.
In 1997, muffins were popularized once again in Seinfeld’s now famous “The Muffin Tops,” episode. Like many muffin lovers, Elaine shared her love for only eating muffin tops. She hilariously talks about the fact that muffin stumps are not worthy of consumption as they don’t have the desirable crunchy texture. She shares the idea of opening a store that sells just muffin tops with her ex-boss and is outraged when he steals her idea.
When he offers her 30% of the profits to help his struggling business, they initially give the unused stumps to a homeless shelter. But after they get complaints about the missing muffin tops by a charity worker, they have to get rid of them elsewhere. Newman eventually takes the muffin stumps off their hands, smiling with glee!
Best Muffin Tools & Equipment
Before making a batch of Sticky Toffee Banana and Date Muffins make sure your kitchen is outfitted with essential bakers tools.
- Mixing Bowl Set: It’s important to have a set of durable mixing bowls. We love stainless steel mixing bowls with a good grip. When making muffins you’ll typically need a large mixing bowl to sift your dry ingredients into, and a medium or small mixing bowl to beat your wet ingredients.
- Measuring Cups: Ensure you have a set of measuring cups with a flat top rather than a spout, so you can easily use a knife to level off your dry ingredients like flour and sugar.
- Measuring Spoons: We love these durable stainless steel measuring spoons that will help you accurately measure spices, baking soda and baking powder.
- Whisk: This stainless steel whisk has a great grip and is helpful when beating eggs into other wet ingredients.
- Sieve: It’s essential to have this tool in your kitchen so you can ensure all your dry ingredients are separated and don’t clump in the wet batter.
- Bakers Scale: Use this digital scale to weigh flour and other ingredients that require a weight measurement.
- Spatula: We love this rubber spatula as it also acts as a spoon so you can easily drop batter into each greased muffin cup.
- Muffin Tins: We only use silicone muffin tins as they allow you to easily remove baked muffins from the tin with minimal baking spray required.
- Baking Spray: Ensure your cupboards are stocked with baking spray so your muffins don’t get stubborn and refuse to slide out of the pan.
- Cooling Rack: A sturdy cooling rack is a must to ensure your muffins cool without falling apart or getting soggy. They need breathing space to let out the steam before storing.
- Storage Containers: We love doubling our muffin recipes so we have leftovers to store in the fridge or freezer to enjoy later.
My Family Loves Sticky Toffee Banana and Date Muffins
One of my fondest memories growing up as a kid was waking up in the morning at our family cottage in Muskoka and smelling freshly baked muffins. My family’s two favourite recipes were Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins and Lemon Blueberry Muffins.
In the summer we’d forage for wild blueberries and incorporate them into out favourite baked goods. My sister was the family blueberry fan while I was mostly obsessed with the marriage of banana and chocolate.
My family’s heritage traces back to England, Scotland, Ireland and France. It’s no wonder our British roots have us craving sticky and sweet Banana and Date Muffins served as Sticky Toffee Pudding for dessert.
Love baking for your family? Check out our best healthy muffins for kids list!
What Is Sticky Toffee Pudding?
Sticky Toffee Pudding is an English dessert consisting of a very moist sponge cake, covered in toffee sauce and then served with a vanilla custard or ice cream.
In Canada and America, the easiest way to enjoy Sticky Toffee Pudding is by visiting a local British pub. In Toronto you can find the best Sticky Toffee Pudding at The Queen and Beaver, The Oxley, Batch and The House on Parliament.
Best Sticky Toffee Banana and Date Muffin Recipe
There’s no better comfort food than a steaming, moist Sticky Toffee Pudding hot out of the oven.
We prefer to prepare Banana and Date Muffins as they are individual portions and don’t require slicing. Homemade muffins can be easily stored in the freezer to extend their shelf life and are a great individual dessert.
So what qualities make the best banana and date muffins? The perfect muffin must be crunchy on the outside, well leavened so the muffin cap holds its shape and doesn’t shrink when cooled and feature a moist and light interior.
Looking to prepare Banana Date Muffins? Baking is a science so you can’t just lower a muffin recipe’s fat and sugar content or you will bite into a chewy, hard and unappetizing product.
Sticky Toffee Banana and Date Muffins Tips
If you’re looking to prepare Sticky Toffee Banana and Date Muffins on a whim and are missing a few ingredients at home don’t worry! You can easily substitute cake and pastry or whole wheat flour if you don’t have all purpose flour. You might also want to add shredded coconut, orange rind, oatmeal, bran, raisins or nuts like roasted pecans, hazelnuts or walnuts.
When making banana muffins it is important to think ahead, as you can not just run to the grocery store. The best banana and date muffins are prepared with ripe fruit. You want to purchase bananas in advance so you can let them darken, enriching their flavour.
Bananas from the grocery store are often yellow or even green, meaning they are still full of starch and natural sugars have not yet developed in the fruit. We make these muffins so often that we store ripe bananas in the freezer so we always have them on hand when overcome with cravings!
The one tip I give all muffin making beginners is to avoid over-mixing the batter. Light and fluffy muffins are made by reducing the amount of gluten in the batter. If you whip muffin batter with a beater the final product will be as hard as a hockey puck.
For best results, form a well in the dry ingredients and pour your wet ingredients inside. Using a spatula or wooden spoon, gently fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. The finished batter should be fully incorporated, so be sure to scrape the bottom of the bowl so you don’t find unmixed flour. The most important rule to muffin making: when mixing, less is more!
You May Also Enjoy Reading…
- How To Make Festive Christmas Mincemeat Muffins with Hazelnuts
- How To Make Healthy High Fiber Blueberry Banana Muffins
- Pumpkin Spice Muffins
- Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread Muffins
- Healthy Morning Glory Bread
- Homemade Raincoast Crisps: Healthy Fibre Crackers Recipe
- Best Nuts and Bolts Recipe: How To Make Gourmet Holiday Snack Mix
- Cranberry Rhubarb Meringue Pie
- How To Make Jewish Cinnamon Babka For Chocolate Lovers
- Easy Homemade Maraschino Cherry Cupcakes Recipe
- Cheddar Apple Muffins Recipe
- Best Homemade Mini Blueberry Muffins Recipe
- Best Healthy Homemade Banana Oat Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Best Homemade Baileys French Toast Recipe
Sticky Toffee Banana and Date Muffins Recipe
Sticky Toffee Banana and Date Muffins
- measuring spoons
- measuring cups
- mixing bowl
- muffin tin
Banana and Date Muffins
- 6 oz dried dates pitted and chopped
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup brown sugar firmly packed
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp molasses
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Ripe banana mashed
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup Skor Toffee Bits
English Toffee Sauce
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar firmly packed
- 1 tbsp molasses
- 2 tbsp corn syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
Banana and Date Muffins
- Coarsely chop the dates and place them in a bowl. Pour boiling water over dates and stir in baking soda. Let the dates soak until water is cool. Using an immersion blender puree the dates to make a smooth mixture.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a large mixing bowl cream the brown sugar and butter until smooth and pale. Beat in the eggs and oil. Add molasses, vanilla extract and mashed banana, beating until combined.
- In a small bowl, stir flour, baking powder and salt. Beat the flour mixture into the wet mixture until combined. Add date puree and gently fold until combined.
- Generously grease muffin tins. Add 1 teaspoon of Skor Toffee Bits into the bottom of each tin. Fill tins with Banana and Date Muffin batter and bake for 25 minutes. Let cool on wire racks.
- Serve drizzled with warm English Toffee Sauce and vanilla ice cream.
English Toffee Sauce
- Bring all of the ingredients to a slow rolling boil for about 2 minutes before serving over the Banana and Date Muffins.
Some of the links in this story use affiliate links. This means that if you make a purchase through our site, Dobbernationloves will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps us to produce comprehensive content.
Save this story to Pinterest!