Sweet Potato Porridge is one of our favourite festive breakfast bowls to make in the morning during the chilly Fall and Winter months.
Our quick & easy Sweet Potato Porridge recipe is a healthy brunch dish suitable for gluten free diets.
Vegetarian Sweet Potato Breakfast Bowls are prepared as a porridge using grated sweet potatoes that are cooked in milk and spices until tender.
Scoop the steaming porridge into bowls then mix in your favourite roasted nuts, chewy raisins and fresh sliced fruit. Serve hot drizzled with maple syrup!
Save this story to Pinterest!
What Is Sweet Potato Porridge?
Porridge is a food made by heating or boiling ground, crushed or chopped starchy plants, typically grain, in milk or water.
It is often cooked or served with added flavourings such as sugar, honey, fruit or syrup to make a sweet cereal, or it can be mixed with spices, meat or vegetables to make a savoury dish.
Examples of sweet porridge are Oatmeal and Buckwheat Porridge and examples of savoury porridge are Chao Ga Vietnamese Rice Porridge and Polenta Breakfast Bowls.
Sweet Potato Porridge is a gluten free recipe that is best served as pretty dressed up breakfast bowls.
Grated sweet potatoes are cooked in a skillet on the stove with milk and festive spices until soft and tender then garnished with fresh fruit, dried fruit and toasted nuts.
My Family Loves Breakfast Bowls
My family are Irish and Scottish so it’s no wonder I grew up eating hot bowls of oatmeal porridge and cream of wheat.
My father would make porridge year round, adapting the recipe to reflect what was fresh and in season. In the Fall and Winter he’d top our porridge with sliced apples, pears and dried fruit. In the Summer we’d garnish each bowl with freshly plucked berries.
This gluten free Sweet Potato Porridge recipe is a family favourite ever since I made it at our cottage in Muskoka for Thanksgiving. Sweet potatoes are in season during the Fall harvest season so it’s a perfect seasonal porridge to prepare on a chilly morning.
I like to prepare pretty Sweet Potato Breakfast Bowls in the Fall and Winter, flavouring the porridge with festive spices like cinnamon and cardamom.
Our healthy Sweet Potato Breakfast Bowls are packed full of healthy ingredients!
Consuming dairy products (such as milk and cheese) provides health benefits — especially improved bone health. Dairy foods provide nutrients that are vital for health and maintenance of your body. These nutrients include calcium, potassium, vitamin D, and protein.
Rich in energy-boosting manganese, cinnamon is also antibacterial and may protect your brain against Alzheimer’s disease.
Cardamom contains phytochemicals that have anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties.
An excellent source of vitamins A and C, sweet potatoes boost your immune system and help keep your skin healthy. They also have a very low glycemic index, providing a steady supply of energy to your body.
Raisins contain healthy vitamins and minerals. They are also fat-free and cholesterol-free, high in antioxidants, and an excellent source of fibre.
Pecans offer heart-friendly fats, immune-boosting copper, and manganese, which helps keep your brain and nerves healthy.
Containing starch and fibre, bananas are an excellent superfood for digestive health. They are a good source of heart-healthy potassium, as well as amino acids and vitamin B6, which help keep your brain healthy.
Sweet Potato Breakfast Bowls Cooking Tips
If it’s your first time making Sweet Potato Porridge at home be sure to review our recipe below. Here are some helpful tips and tricks to get you started.
- The key to making the perfect Sweet Potato Porridge is ensuring the grated root vegetable is fully cooked and tender. Be sure to taste with a small spoon before serving to ensure it is fully cooked through.
- We’ve used dairy milk in this recipe but if you want to make vegan sweet potato porridge add your favourite non dairy substitute like almond milk or soy milk.
- We’ve flavoured the sweet potato porridge with festive spices like cinnamon and cardamom. Feel free to get creative by using other warming holiday spices like nutmeg, cloves and allspice.
- We’ve used raisins in this recipe to give the sweet potato breakfast bowls a nice chew. Feel free to substitute for other dried fruits like craisins, currants, dates, figs or apricots.
- We’ve garnished the porridge with sliced banana but you can use other fruits like apple or pear.
- Top the breakfast bowls with crunchy toasted nuts like pecans, walnuts or almonds.
- Add additional crunch by sprinkling the bowls with toasted pumpkin seeds, granola, or rice krispies.
- We sweeten the porridge with maple syrup (we’re Canadian you know!) but you can substitue for honey or agave if you prefer.
What To Serve with Sweet Potato Breakfast Bowls
Sweet Potato Breakfast Bowls are one of our favourite quick and easy gluten free porridges to serve for breakfast in the Fall and Winter.
This healthy recipe is very versatile. You can really throw your entire kitchen sink into the mix, adding fresh fruits in your fridge and nuts and seeds in your cupboards.
You can also add a dollop of Greek yogurt, homemade granola, scoop of organic nut butter, or your favourite fruit compote.
Since this Sweet Potato Porridge recipe is prepared as a breakfast bowl you can serve it alongside other popular brunch dishes like pancakes, waffles and muffins.
We like to double the recipe as leftovers can easily be reheated in the microwave or in a small pot over the stove. Store leftover Sweet Potato Porridge in an airtight container in your fridge for up to 4-5 days.
You May Also Enjoy These Brunch & Breakfast Recipes…
- Vegan Buckwheat Gluten Free Porridge
- Healthy Breakfast Polenta Bowl
- Sourdough French Toast
- Healthy Vegan Indian Fruit Chaat Masala Salad
- Creamy Vegetarian Strapatsada Greek Scrambled Eggs
- Easy Homemade Korean Strawberry Milk
- Roasted Garlic Gruyere French Tomato Tart
- Easy Chao Ga Vietnamese Rice Porridge
- Gluten Free Chickpea Flour Indian Pancakes
- Salsa de Huevo Vegetarian Mexican Scrambled Eggs
- Southern Smoked Baked Beans with Bacon
You May Also Enjoy These Potato Recipes…
- Vegan Crispy Oven Roasted Cypriot Cyprus Potatoes
- Crispy Air Fryer Sweet Potato Cubes & Chunks
- Erdapfelsalat Viennese Warm Austrian Potato Salad
- Korean Breakfast Recipe Gochujang Baked Eggs & Potato
- Aloo Fry Vegetarian Indian Turmeric Potatoes
- Älplermagronen Cheesy Swiss Alpine Macaroni
- Vegan Spicy Crispy Roasted Harissa Potatoes
- Bolo de Caco Madeira Sweet Potato Portuguese Roll
- Kartoffelknödel German Potato Dumplings
- Healthy Oven Baked Sweet Potato
- Healthy Roasted Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Soup
- Healthy Homemade Sweet Potato Muffin
How To Make Spiced Sweet Potato Porridge
Spiced Sweet Potato Porridge
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- Spatula or Wooden Spoon
- French knife
- 3/4 cup Milk
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 10 Cardamom Pods
- 2 tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1 cup Grated Sweet Potato
- 2 tbsp Raisins
- 2 tbsp Roasted Pecans
- 1 Banana sliced
- Put the milk, cinnamon, cardamom and maple syrup in a saucepan set over medium heat and bring to a gentle simmer. Turn the heat right down so that the milk stays warm and the flavours infuse for at least 10 minutes. Turn off the heat and cool completely before straining into a bowl using a fine mesh sieve.
- Return the infused milk to the pan. Bring to a gentle simmer, add the grated sweet potato and cook for 15-20 minutes, stirring often, or until sweet potato has softened.
- Add the pecans and raisins and stir to combine.
- Serve in bowls topped with sliced banana and sprinkle of ground cinnamon.
Some of the links in this story use affiliate links. This means that if you make a purchase through our site, Dobbernationloves will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps us to produce comprehensive content.
Save this story to Pinterest!