Looking to learn how to make the best Moscow Mule with Gin cocktail recipe?
Our quick & easy Gin Moscow Mule recipe features premium gin, Caribbean Ginger Beer, lime juice, simple syrup and freshly plucked herbaceous mint leaves.
Save this story to Pinterest!
How Is Gin Made?
Wondering how gin is made?
Any gin starts life as a neutral (often grain-based) spirit. It’s essentially pure ethanol, and then flavours are added through a process called re-distillation. Gin can be made in a column or pot still.
We like to think of gin as “vodka steeped in an aromatic tea bag.” Expert distillers essentially heat pure alcohol (vodka) so it passes through a large “tea bag” filled with unique spices, herbs and citrus peel. When the pure alcohol comes in contact with this bundle of flavourful ingredients it takes on a unique gin flavour.
The flavourings can be steeped for as long as 48 hours, although some producers will distill the liquid almost immediately. Once completed, water is added to reduce the distillate to bottling strength.
So what are the most common ingredients in gin?
Gin derives its predominant flavour from juniper berries, also known as juniperus communis.
Other popular botanicals or flavourings used in gin making, besides the required juniper, often include citrus elements, such as lemon and bitter orange peel, as well as a combination of other spices, which may include anise, angelica root and seed, orris root, licorice root, cinnamon, almond, cubeb, savory, lime peel, grapefruit peel, dragon eye, saffron, baobab, frankincense, coriander, grains of paradise, nutmeg and cassia bark.
The different combinations and concentrations of these aromatic botanicals in the distillation process cause the variations in taste among different gin brands.
Our favourite premium gins to use when preparing a Moscow Mule with Gin is Bombay Sapphire, Aviation Gin and Tanqueray.
Best Selling Gin
Gin has certainly enjoyed a boom in popularity at cocktail bars in recent years. You’ll find fantastic premium gins distilled from Scotland to Muskoka. Here are some of the world’s best selling gins and some of our local small batch favourites:
- Gordon’s Gin: The world’s top selling gin brand is owned by Diageo. The brand’s pink iteration has undoubtedly helped to fuel its success. Gordon’s has also unveiled a line of new innovative products including two “ultra-low-alcohol” pre-mixed gin and tonic sparkling beverages and Gordon’s Gin-infused popsicles.
- Bombay Sapphire Gin: Bacardi-owned Bombay Sapphire is one of the worlds best-selling gins. Bombay Sapphire kicked off a new limited edition range with the launch of a gin inspired by summer in the English countryside.
- Tanqueray: Diageo-owned Tanqueray launched a new marketing campaign developed to shift consumers’ attention from “gimmicks” to flavour and unveiled a range of bottled ready-to-drink gin and tonics, made with its London Dry Gin and Flor de Sevilla Distilled Gin.
- Beefeater Gin: Pernod Ricard’s flagship gin brand is Beefeater. The brand launched strawberry-flavoured Beefeater Pink in 2018 and further expanded its portfolio with the debut of a new blood orange-flavoured gin.
- Seagram’s: Pernod Ricard-owned Seagram’s is a top seller having recently purchased Italian brand Malfy Gin.
- Hendrick’s Gin: Opened the door to its £13 million Gin Palace in 2018, allowing the brand to double its capacity to two million cases annually. The Scottish brand has also added to its portfolio with the launch of the limited edition summer solstice-inspired Midsummer Solstice gin.
- Edinburgh Gin: This craft distillery in Edinburgh produces a parade of flavoured gin bottles including rhubarb & ginger gin, raspberry gin, bramble & honey gin, black currant & anise, strawberry & pink peppercorn and pomegranate & rose.
- Dillon’s Distillery: This Beamsville producer makes small batch gins including rose gin, cherry gin and strawberry gin.
- Muskoka Brewery: This Ontario craft brewery produces a London Dry and spicy pink peppercorn gin.
Travel to Taste the World’s Best Gins
There’s no better way to familiarize yourself with the best Gin Moscow Mule then by planning a vacation to visit the world’s best gin distilleries.
The world’s most famous gins can be found in the United Kingdom as well as neighbouring Ireland. The booming gin trend has produced a high demand for premium gins produced by distilleries in Canada and America.
We’ve visited a handful of gin distilleries in Britain as well as a chic gin cocktail bar at the Shangri-La Hotel in Taipei. The gin craze has officially travelled from England to North America, Asia and beyond!
In Scotland we visited Edinburgh Gin for a tour and tasting before enjoying a road trip to the Isle of Islay, which is best known for its famous Islay whisky distilleries. One of the best things to do on the Isle of Islay is pay a visit to Bruichladdich Distillery, which produces its signature whisky as well as Botanist Gin.
In Brighton we visited a tiny micro-distillery called Brighton Gin, one of the best things to do in Brighton for G&T fans. We also stayed at the luxurious Four Seasons Hotel Hampshire to sip our way through the jaw-dropping home of renowned Bombay Sapphire.
Looking to plan the ultimate road trip of Canada to discover the best gins?
Our favourite Canadian gins include Ungava in Quebec, Tawse and Dillon’s in Niagara, Muskoka Brewery in Ontario cottage country, Kinsip House of Fine Spirits in Prince Edward County, North of 7 in Ottawa, Dixon’s in Guelph, Eau Claire Distillery in Alberta, Blackfox in Saskatoon, Ironworks Gin in Nova Scotia and Long Table Distillery in British Columbia.
Best Bartender Tools & Cocktail Equipment
Before hosting a swanky Moscow Mule with Gin drink soiree you’ll need to ensure you have the best bartender tools and cocktail equipment.
- Cocktail Kit: cocktail kits are the perfect gift for newbie mixology fans as they include basic bartender tools like a jigger, shaker and spoon.
- Cocktail Shaker: a bartender’s best friend. Purchase a premium cocktail shaker to muddle or shake up your favourite pink gin cocktails.
- Cocktail Glassware: make sure your bar is stocked with a selection of unique glassware to show off your favourite cocktail creations.
- Hawthorne Strainer: this unique strainer features tightly wound coils and perforated holes. It keeps ice and other large ingredients like lime wedges in your cocktail shaker rather than in the glass.
- Bar Spoons: slender and long bar spoons are a must-have when stirring drinks.
- Bottle Opener: easily open bottles of beer or cider with the flick of your wrist or purchase a corkscrew for fine wine.
- Pouring Spout: once you’ve opened a new bottle of gin insert these affordable pourers to make cocktail assembly a breeze.
- Cutting Board: purchase a petite cutting board for your bar to slice garnishes or citrus wedges like lime, orange, lemon or grapefruit.
- Ice Bucket: chill bottles of gin quickly in an ice bucket or keep by the bar when muddling gin mixers into cool creations.
- Ice Crusher: fans of the Mint Julep love an ice crusher.
- Ice Cube Kit: we suggest purchasing a selection of ice cube trays. Silicone styles are our favourite as they’re easy to clean and are available in various shapes and sizes.
- Jigger: use a jigger to accurately measure spirits, juices, syrups and shrubs.
- Juicer: invest in an electronic juicer or buy an affordable hand-held to easily juice fresh citrus like lemons and limes.
- Muddler: fans of the Mojito love a sturdy muddler to mix mint and lime. Muddler’s are handy for any cocktail featuring ingredients that need a pounding like fresh herbs or citrus wedges.
- Citrus Peeler & Zester: adorn your craft cocktails with a thick citrus peel or finer ribbons of lime or lemon zest.
- Rimmer: Bloody Mary and Caesar lovers should outfit their bar with a handy rimmer for salting and sugaring glassware.
Moscow Mule with Gin Ingredients
Our quick & easy homemade Moscow Mule with Gin recipe is made with fresh and premium ingredients:
- Gin: we suggest using Bombay Sapphire, Aviation Gin or Tanqueray.
- Ginger Beer: use a Caribbean style non-alcoholic ginger beer such as Fever Tree or The Great Jamaican Ginger Beer Co.
- Simple Syrup: we prepare our own homemade simple syrup but you could add an additional ginger zing with Organic Ginger Syrup by The Ginger People.
- Lime Juice: we always suggest juicing fresh limes as you’ll taste the difference. Do not use store bought lime juice!
- Mint: pluck fresh mint from your garden or purchase a few sprigs at your grocery store or farmers market.
Moscow Mule with Gin Cocktail Tips
This cocktail recipe is easy to make at home, ready to serve in under 10 minutes.
We love serving our Moscow Mule with Gin recipe in the Spring and Summer. The refreshing gin cocktail is a crowd pleaser at garden parties, family barbecues and cottage cocktail hours.
Our Moscow Mule with Gin recipe serves one person. If you’re hosting a large gathering feel free to multiply the ingredients by the number of guests and muddle the drink in a punch bowl or jug rather than a cocktail shaker.
If you don’t have access to fresh mint feel free to substitute for basil.
You May Also Enjoy Reading…
- Best Pink Gin Cocktails
- Best Gin Mixers
- Best Gay Cocktail Drinks To Enjoy During Pride
- Gay Bars Puerto Vallarta: Best Clubs, Cantinas and Cabarets
- Best Ottawa Cocktail Bars
- Best Cocktail Bars in Rochester
- Best Cocktails Bars in Calgary
- Best Cocktail Bars in Savannah
- Best Luxury Hotel Cocktail Bars in Hong Kong
- 5 Luxury Hotel Cocktail Bars in Manhattan
- Best Bali Bars for Cocktail Lovers
- Toronto’s Best Craft Cocktails at Bar Chef
- Shake Up Healthy Absolut Cocktails While Prancing Through Pride
- Celebrate TIFF by Sipping Cocktails at Toronto’s Best Luxury Hotels
- Splash Into Summer with These Sparkling Citrus Cocktails
- This Christmas Craft Festive Cocktails with Quality Chocolate
- Procreate Tutorial: How To Draw A Bottle
- Aperol Gin Cocktail Drink Recipe
- Gin and Cranberry Juice Cocktail Drink Recipe
- Pomegranate Gin Fizz Cocktail Drink Recipe
- Irish Whiskey Sour Drink Cocktail Recipe
- Healthy Cucumber Gin and Tonic Cocktail Recipe
- Bushmills Cocktail: Irish Whiskey and Apple Juice Recipe
Best Moscow Mule with Gin Cocktail Recipe
Moscow Mule with Gin Cocktail
- Cocktail Shaker
- Cocktail spoon
- Shot Glass
- Highball Glass
- 2 oz Gin
- 4 oz Ginger Beer
- 1 oz Lime Juice
- 1 oz Simple Syrup
- 8 Mint Leaves
- Mint Sprig garnish
- Lime slice garnish
- In a cocktail shaker, add the mint leaves, lime juice and simple syrup. Muddle with a cocktail spoon to release the herby aroma.
- Add the gin and fill the shaker with ice. Shake well, 45-60 seconds.
- Strain into a highball glass filled with ice cubes.
- Top with ginger beer and garnish with a mint sprig and lime slice.
Some of the links in this story use affiliate links. This means that if you make a purchase through our site, Dobbernationloves will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps us to produce comprehensive content.
Save this story to Pinterest!