Looking to learn how to make the best Aperol Gin cocktail recipe?
Take a trip to the scenic Amalfi Coast while sipping a quick & easy refreshing citrus drink made with Italy’s favourite aperitif.
Our traditional Aperol Gin cocktail features Aperol, premium gin, lime juice, simple syrup, soda water and lime slice.
Save this story to Pinterest!
What is Aperol?
Aperol is an Italian bitter apéritif made of gentian, rhubarb, and cinchona, among other ingredients. It has a vibrant orange hue. Its name comes from the French slang word for aperitif, which is apero.
Aperol was originally produced by the Barbieri company, based in Padua, but is now produced by the Campari Group. While Aperol was originally created in 1919, by Luigi and Silvio Barbieri, it did not become successful until after World War II. Although it tastes and smells much like Campari, Aperol has an alcohol content of 11%, less than half that of Campari. Aperol and Campari have the same sugar content, and Aperol is less bitter in taste. Campari is also much darker in color.
The Spritz, also known as Aperol Spritz, is the most famous Aperol-based cocktail. Another popular variant is the Aperol Gin cocktail.
Join Dobbernationloves founder Andrew Dobson in the kitchen by signing up for a fun virtual cooking class! Classes begin with a cocktail that you can sip while preparing 2-3 recipes that are curated around a unique culinary theme. Check out our current Cooking Class Schedule!
Travel To Italy to Sip Aperol
There’s no better way to familiarize yourself with an authentic Aperol Gin cocktail recipe then by planning a vacation to visit Italy.
If you’ve traveled to Italy before you’ll probably have developed a fondness for aperitivo hour. Aperitivo comes from the Latin word aperire, meaning “to open.” Historically, an aperitivo was an alcoholic beverage consumed before dinner to whet your appetite. Today, it’s a daily ritual that embodies la dolce vita.
True to form, this daily routine exudes Italy’s quintessential style of slowing down, socializing, drinking, and, of course, eating. In Italy aperitivo hour starts every night from around 6-9 PM at local cafes, bars, hotels, and restaurants. Italians and tourists alike take part in drinks and snacks while they unwind and catch up with friends before their evening meal filled with polenta, pasta, short rib ragu, pici, gnocchi, pizza and gelato.
We suggest ordering an authentic Aperol Gin cocktail after sailing through the canals in Venice, luxury car hopping in Modena, tanning on the beach in Amalfi, visiting the Pantheon in Rome, exploring Italian Renaissance treasures in The Vatican, Armani and contemporary art shopping in Milan, touring the tower in Pisa, and enjoying a Honeymoon in Tuscany with stops in Siena, Sorano, Pitigliano, Saturnia, Volterra and Florence.
Best Bartender Tools & Cocktail Equipment
Before hosting a swanky Aperol Gin cocktail soiree you’ll need to ensure you have the best bartender tools and cocktail equipment.
- Cocktail Kit: cocktail kits are the perfect gift for newbie mixology fans as they include basic bartender tools like a jigger, shaker and spoon.
- Cocktail Shaker: a bartenders best friend. Purchase a premium cocktail shaker to muddle or shake up your favourite pink gin cocktails.
- Cocktail Glassware: make sure your bar is stocked with a selection of unique glassware to show off your favourite cocktail creations.
- Hawthorne Strainer: this unique strainer features tightly wound coils and perforated holes. It keeps ice and other large ingredients like lime wedges in your cocktail shaker rather than in the glass.
- Bar Spoons: slender and long bar spoons are a must-have when stirring drinks.
- Bottle Opener: easily open bottles of beer or cider with the flick of your wrist or purchase a corkscrew for fine wine.
- Pouring Spout: once you’ve opened a new bottle of gin insert these affordable pourers to make cocktail assembly a breeze.
- Cutting Board: purchase a petite cutting board for your bar to slice garnishes or citrus wedges like lime, orange, lemon or grapefruit.
- Ice Bucket: chill bottles of gin quickly in an ice bucket or keep by the bar when muddling gin mixers into cool creations.
- Ice Crusher: fans of the Mint Julep love an ice crusher.
- Ice Cube Kit: we suggest purchasing a selection of ice cube trays. Silicone styles are our favourite as they’re easy to clean and are available in various shapes and sizes.
- Jigger: use a jigger to accurately measure spirits, juices, syrups and shrubs.
- Juicer: invest in an electronic juicer or buy an affordable hand-held to easily juice fresh citrus like lemons and limes.
- Muddler: fans of the Mojito love a sturdy muddler to mix mint and lime. Muddler’s are handy for any cocktail featuring ingredients that need a pounding like fresh herbs or citrus wedges.
- Citrus Peeler & Zester: adorn your craft cocktails with a thick citrus peel or finer ribbons of lime or lemon zest.
- Rimmer: Bloody Mary and Caesar lovers should outfit their bar with a handy rimmer for salting and sugaring glassware.
Aperol Gin Cocktail Ingredients
Our easy Aperol Gin cocktail is made with the best fresh ingredients:
- Aperol: Italy’s favourite orange coloured aperitif.
- Gin: we suggest using Aviation Gin, Hayman’s Gin or The Botanist Gin.
- Lime Juice: we suggest using freshly squeezed lime juice. Don’t you dare use the store bought stuff!
- Simple Syrup: we make our own homemade simple syrup but you could also spice things up by using Organic Ginger Syrup by The Ginger People.
- Lime Garnish: adorn the rocks glass with a slice or wedge of fresh lime.
You May Also Enjoy These Italian Travel Stories…
- Things to Do on Italy’s Amalfi Coast
- 10 Tastes from Italy’s Amalfi Coast
- The Historical Regatta of the Maritime Republics
- 20 Things to Do in Rome
- Top 15 Tastes of Rome
- 15 Things to See at The Vatican
- Things To Do In Milan
- Pisa Attractions: Explore Beyond The Leaning Tower
- Best Things To Do in Siena, Tuscany
- Castello di Velona: Tuscany’s Best Luxury Spa Getaway
- Sorano Italy: An Ancient Medieval Hill Town in Tuscany
- Pitigliano Italy: Explore Tuscany’s Ancient Jewish History
- Saturnia Hot Springs: Wellness Spa Holiday in Tuscany
- Agriturismo Volterra: Book the Best Farmstay in Tuscany
- Florence in a Day: 24 Hours in Tuscany’s Culture Capital
- Tuscan Honeymoon: Best Romantic Holiday in Italy
- Tuscan Food: 20 Must-Try Dishes and Drinks
- Travel to Modena, Italy
- Travel to Venice, Italy
Aperol Gin Cocktail Tips
This Aperol Gin Cocktail recipe is easy to make at home, ready to serve in under 10 minutes. We love serving Aperol Gin Cocktails in the summer as they are refreshing on a hot day.
Our Aperol Gin cocktail recipe serves one person. If you’re hosting a large gathering feel free to multiply the ingredients by the number of guests and muddle the drink in a punch bowl or jug rather than a cocktail shaker.
You May Also Enjoy These Gin Cocktail Recipes…
- Italian Prosecco and Gin Cocktail
- Raspberry Gin Fizz Chambord Cocktail
- Sour Lemon Blueberry Gin Cocktail
- Eastside Cocktail
- Mango Gin Collins Cocktail
- Lavender Gin Cocktail Lemonade Fizz
- Gin Cucumber Juice Cilantro Cocktail
- Malfy Grapefruit Gin & Rosemary Cocktail
- St Germain Elderflower Gin and Tonic Cocktail
- Elderflower Collins Cocktail
- Classic Gin John Collins Cocktail
- Moscow Mule with Gin Cocktail
- Rhubarb and Ginger Gin Cocktail
- Best Orange Gin & Yellow Gin For Cocktails
- Gin and Cranberry Juice Cocktail
- Pomegranate Gin Fizz Cocktail
- Cucumber Gin and Tonic Cocktail
- Best Gin Mixers For Easy Homemade Cocktails
- Best Recipes For Pretty Pink Gin Cocktails
Best Aperol Gin Cocktail Recipe
Aperol Gin Cocktail
- Shot Glass
- Rocks glass
- Cocktail Shaker
- Citrus Juicer
- Cocktail spoon
- 1 oz Aperol
- 1 oz Gin
- 1 oz Lime juice
- 1 oz Simple Syrup
- 2 oz Soda Water
- Lime Wedge
- In a cocktail shaker, add 2 ice cubes, Aperol, gin, lime juice and simple syrup.
- Shake contents of the cocktail shaker for 45 seconds – 1 minute.
- Pour contents of the cocktail shaker into a rock glass. Top with soda and muddle with a spoon.
- Garnish Aperol Gin Cocktail with lime wedge or slice.
Some of the links in this story use affiliate links. This means that if you purchase through our site, Dobbernationloves will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps us to produce comprehensive content.
Save this story to Pinterest!