Learn how to make the best Bushmills Cocktail, an easy Irish Whiskey and Apple Juice drink recipe.
Bushmills is one of the world’s most famous whiskey distilleries, located along the scenic Causeway Coast in Northern Ireland.
Pair premium Irish whiskey with freshly pressed apple juice for a festive holiday drink best enjoyed during the fall at Thanksgiving or winter during the holiday Christmas season.
Our homemade Bushmills Cocktail features premium Irish Whiskey, apple juice, ginger syrup, pear bitters, egg white, ground nutmeg and fresh slice of apple.
Save this story to Pinterest!
Travel The World to Taste Whiskey
There’s no better way to familiarize yourself with the best whiskey and apple juice cocktail recipe then by planning a vacation to visit the world’s best whiskey distilleries.
Some of the world’s most famous whiskey/whisky distilleries can be found in the United Kingdom and Ireland. The booming whiskey trend has also produced a high demand for premium whiskey produced by distilleries in Canada and America.
We’ve visited a handful of whiskey distilleries in Europe as well as a chic whiskey cocktail bar at Multnomah Whiskey Library in Portland and Stranahans in Denver.
In Scotland we enjoyed a scenic road trip to the Isle of Islay, which is best known for its famous Islay Scotch whisky distilleries. If you’re looking to experience the best things to do on the Isle of Islay visit award-winning distilleries like Bruichladdich, Laphroaig, Lagavulin, Ardbeg and Bowmore.
We also suggest sipping local Scottish whisky on the Isle of Skye, Glasgow, Edinburgh and The Highlands. One of our favourite things to do in Edinburgh is the The Scotch Whisky Experience.
Fly over to Ireland and you’ll find plenty of fine whiskey produced by famous distilleries like Jamesons and Bushmills. There’s no better way to educate yourself about Irish Whiskey then by taking a tour of Jameson Distillery near Cork and Bushmills along the Causeway Coast. They’re both worth a day trip from Dublin.
Looking to plan the ultimate road trip of Canada to discover the best Canadian whisky?
Our favourite Canadian whiskies include Lot 40 from Ontario, Masterson’s from Alberta, Caribou Crossing from Quebec, Goodridge & Williams from British Columbia and Glenora from Nova Scotia.
Cocktail Inspiration at Bushmills Distillery in Ireland
Our Whiskey and Apple Juice drink is inspired by a visit we made to Northern Ireland’s iconic Bushmills Distillery.
The Old Bushmills Distillery is a popular tourist attraction, welcoming over 120,000 visitors per year. It uses water drawn from Saint Columb’s Rill, which is a tributary of the River Bush.
The company that originally built the distillery was formed in 1784, although the date 1608 is printed on the label of the brand – referring to an earlier date when a royal licence was granted to a local landowner to distil whiskey in the area. After various periods of closure in its subsequent history, the distillery has been in continuous operation since it was rebuilt after a fire in 1885.
Today, Bushmills offers a range of award winning whiskey expressions suitable for every taste and budget. Our top 5 favourite Bushmills Irish Whiskey bottles include:
- Bushmills Original: Irish whiskey blend matured in American oak casks. This white label is the brands signature bottle.
- Black Bush: A blend with a significantly greater proportion of malt whiskey than the white label. It features malt whiskey aged in casks previously used for Spanish Oloroso sherry.
- Red Bush: Like the Black Bush, this is a blend with a higher proportion of malt whiskey than the standard bottling, but in contrast the malt whiskey has been matured in ex-bourbon casks.
- Bushmills 10 Year Single Malt: Combines malt whiskeys aged at least 10 years in American bourbon or Oloroso sherry casks.
- Bushmills 16 Year Single Malt: Malt whiskeys aged at least 16 years in American bourbon barrels or Spanish Oloroso sherry butts are mixed together before finishing in Port pipes for a few months.
Best Bartender Tools & Cocktail Equipment
Before hosting a swanky Bushmills cocktail soiree you’ll need to ensure you have the best bartender tools and cocktail equipment.
- Cocktail Kit: cocktail kits are the perfect gift for newbie mixology fans as they include basic bartender tools like a jigger, shaker and spoon.
- Cocktail Shaker: a bartenders best friend. Purchase a premium cocktail shaker to muddle or shake up your favourite pink gin cocktails.
- Cocktail Glassware: make sure your bar is stocked with a selection of unique glassware to show off your favourite cocktail creations.
- Hawthorne Strainer: this unique strainer features tightly wound coils and perforated holes. It keeps ice and other large ingredients like lime wedges in your cocktail shaker rather than in the glass.
- Bar Spoons: slender and long bar spoons are a must-have when stirring drinks.
- Bottle Opener: easily open bottles of beer or cider with the flick of your wrist or purchase a corkscrew for fine wine.
- Pouring Spout: once you’ve opened a new bottle of gin insert these affordable pourers to make cocktail assembly a breeze.
- Cutting Board: purchase a petite cutting board for your bar to slice garnishes or citrus wedges like lime, orange, lemon or grapefruit.
- Ice Bucket: chill bottles of gin quickly in an ice bucket or keep by the bar when muddling gin mixers into cool creations.
- Ice Crusher: fans of the Mint Julep love an ice crusher.
- Ice Cube Kit: we suggest purchasing a selection of ice cube trays. Silicone styles are our favourite as they’re easy to clean and are available in various shapes and sizes.
- Jigger: use a jigger to accurately measure spirits, juices, syrups and shrubs.
- Juicer: invest in an electronic juicer or buy an affordable hand-held to easily juice fresh citrus like lemons and limes.
- Muddler: fans of the Mojito love a sturdy muddler to mix mint and lime. Muddler’s are handy for any cocktail featuring ingredients that need a pounding like fresh herbs or citrus wedges.
- Citrus Peeler & Zester: adorn your craft cocktails with a thick citrus peel or finer ribbons of lime or lemon zest.
- Rimmer: Bloody Mary and Caesar lovers should outfit their bar with a handy rimmer for salting and sugaring glassware.
Bushmills Cocktail Ingredients
Our homemade Whiskey and Apple Juice cocktail is made with fresh and healthy ingredients:
- Irish Whiskey: we suggest using Bushmills Original or Black Bush.
- Apple Juice: we prefer using freshly pressed apple juice often sold in large jugs during the fall and winter.
- Ginger Syrup: we’ve used Organic Ginger Syrup by The Ginger People but you could also prepare homemade ginger simple syrup.
- Bitters: add a few dashes of bitters to round out your healthy gin cocktail. We suggest using a complimentary flavour such as Pear Bitters.
- Egg White: this makes our whiskey and apple juice drink extra festive and adds a frothy and creamy mouth feel.
- Nutmeg: add a dusting of ground nutmeg over the egg white foam for a festive and cozy aroma.
- Apple Slice: garnish the drink with a slice of fresh apple. We like to use gala, honeycrisp or pink lady.
You May Also Enjoy Reading…
- Day Trips From Dublin: Belfast to Blarney Castle
- Ireland Road Trip: Best Places To Visit On An Irish Holiday
- Honeymoon in Ireland at These Romantic Luxury Hotels
- Cliff House Ardmore: Best Spa Break in Ireland Offers Michelin Dining
- Cliff at Lyons Wedding: A Romantic Luxury Hotel Near Dublin
- Smithwick’s Experience: Beer Tour in Kilkenny
- Things To Do in Cork: Southern Ireland’s Capital of Cool
- Ardmore Cliff Walk: Scenic Seaside Hike in Ireland
- Jameson Distillery Tour: Cork’s Irish Whiskey Wonderland
- Pembroke Hotel Kilkenny: Downtown Luxury Accommodation
- Things To Do in Kilkenny: Explore Ireland’s Medieval Marvel
- In Search of Virtue: An Irish Genealogy and Ancestry Adventure
- Exploring the Causeway Coast from Belfast to Bushmills
- Things To Do in Belfast: Gay Holiday in Northern Ireland’s Capital
- St. Patrick’s Day in Dublin
- Exploring Ireland’s Rugged West Coast
Whiskey and Apple Juice Bushmills Cocktail Tips
This Bushmills cocktail recipe is easy to make at home, ready to serve in under 10 minutes.
We love serving our Whiskey and Apple Juice recipe in the fall and winter when fresh apples have been harvested and cider is plentiful in grocery stores and farmers markets.
This apple whisky cocktail flavoured with ginger syrup is a crowd pleaser at holiday parties and Thanksgiving dinners. While we’ve served this Bushmills cocktail with an apple slice, you could substitute for pear slice or piece of crystalized ginger.
Our Irish Whiskey and Apple Juice recipe below serves one person. If you’re hosting a large gathering feel free to multiply the ingredients by the number of guests and muddle the drink in a punch bowl or jug rather than a cocktail shaker.
If you don’t have ginger syrup in your cupboards and don’t have time to make your own homemade ginger syrup feel free to use regular simple syrup.
If you don’t like raw egg in your drink feel free to serve without.
Whiskey and Apple Juice Health Benefits
Our healthy Bushmills Cocktail recipe is full of healthy ingredients!
A useful source of vitamins C, K and B6, apples support your immune, skeletal, and circulatory systems. Phytochemicals in apples may also keep your eyes healthy and help reduce bad cholesterol.
Ginger contains at least 14 phytochemicals, many of which have impressive antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. It also has a good source of copper, which supports your bones, blood and nervous system.
Eggs contain two vital nutrients that are not present in many foods: iodine and vitamin D. Eggs are also rich in tissue-building protein and vitamin B12, which helps your body manufacture blood cells.
Nutmeg is said to relieve pain, soothe indigestion, strengthen cognitive function, detoxify the body, boost skin health, reduce insomnia, increase immune system function and improve blood circulation.
You May Also Enjoy Reading…
- Best Pink Gin Cocktails
- Best Orange Gin & Yellow Gin For Cocktails
- Best Gin Mixers
- Best Gay Cocktail Drinks To Enjoy During Pride
- Exploring the World of Whiskey at Home
- Multnomah Whiskey Library in Portland
- Gay Bars Puerto Vallarta: Best Clubs, Cantinas and Cabarets
- Best Ottawa Cocktail Bars
- Best Cocktail Bars in Rochester
- Best Cocktails Bars in Calgary
- Best Cocktail Bars in Savannah
- Best Luxury Hotel Cocktail Bars in Hong Kong
- 5 Luxury Hotel Cocktail Bars in Manhattan
- Best Bali Bars for Cocktail Lovers
- Toronto’s Best Craft Cocktails at Bar Chef
- Shake Up Healthy Absolut Cocktails While Prancing Through Pride
- Celebrate TIFF by Sipping Cocktails at Toronto’s Best Luxury Hotels
- Splash Into Summer with These Sparkling Citrus Cocktails
- This Christmas Craft Festive Cocktails with Quality Chocolate
- Procreate Tutorial: How To Draw A Bottle
Bushmills Cocktail Recipe: Irish Whiskey and Apple Juice
Bushmills Whiskey and Apple Juice Cocktail
- Shot Glass
- Cocktail Shaker
- Rocks glass
- 1.5 oz Bushmills Irish Whiskey
- 3 oz Apple Cider
- 0.5 oz Ginger Syrup
- 1 Egg White
- 2 dashes Pear Bitters
- Apple Slice
- Ground Nutmeg
- In a cocktail shaker, add 2 ice cubes, Bushmills whiskey, apple juice, ginger syrup, egg white and pear bitters.
- Shake contents of the cocktail shaker for 45 seconds – 1 minute to help froth up the egg white. The cocktail shaker should feel cold to the touch when finished.
- Pour contents of the cocktail shaker into a rock glass through a fine sieve. This will catch any leftover egg white and can be discarded.
- Garnish Whiskey and Apple Juice Bushmills Cocktail with a slice of apple and sprinkle with ground nutmeg.
Some of the links in this story use affiliate links. This means that if you purchase through our site, Dobbernationloves will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps us to produce comprehensive content.
Save this story to Pinterest!