The Alexandra Cocktail is a classic mixed drink prepared with rum and coffee liqueur.
It’s a surprisingly potent cocktail despite it’s ladylike name. The ideal drink to prepare for chocolate, coffee and rum lovers.
We enjoy serving this Rum and Kahlua Cocktail at a boozy brunch, liquid dessert at an adults-only dinner or at a festive holiday Christmas party as an alternative to Eggnog.
Save this story to Pinterest!
What Is An Alexandra Cocktail?
An Alexandra Cocktail is a rum and kahlua based mixed drink, not to be confused with the Brandy Alexander.
The easy 4 ingredient cocktail is traditionally made with spiced rum, coffee liqueur like kahlua, creme de cacao and light cream. Served in a classic kahlua cocktail glass or martini glass.
It is traditionally served at Christmas cocktail parties during the holiday season. The dessert cocktail features a muddling of sweet flavours like coffee, chocolate and warming spices in the rum.
It’s a great alternative to eggnog for those who don’t like or eat eggs.
What Is Kahlua?
Kahlúa is a brand of coffee liqueur produced in Veracruz, Mexico. The drink contains rum, sugar, and quality arabica coffee.
Travel to Mexico by Making a Rum and Kahlua Cocktail at Home
I love traveling to Latin America.
As a professional food and travel journalist, I’ve had the opportunity to enjoy amazing meals in Central America, South America and the Caribbean, from traditional markets to award winning restaurants.
For over ten years, I’ve been on the hunt for the best rum and coffee liqueur recipe. I’ve embarked on culinary adventures at local restaurants in Cuba, Belize, Guatemala, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, Jamaica, Puerto Rico, Curacao, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia, Chile, Argentina, Uruguay and Brazil.
In Mexico, I’ve enjoyed sipping an Alexandra Cocktail at bars and restaurants in Puerto Vallarta, Los Cabos, Mexico City, Merida, Chichen Itza and Playa del Carmen.
At home I like to recreate the cocktail by using Kahlua, produced in Mexico using high quality roasted arabica from Veracruz.
Chocolate is also produced in Mexico. If you have a favourite chocolatier that produces bean-to-bar products, purchase dark chocolate made with cocoa harvested in Mexico and shave it on top of the drink as a garnish before serving.
Alexandra Cocktail Ingredients
Our creamy Rum and Coffee Liqueur recipe is made with premium ingredients:
- Kahlua: the Mexican coffee liqueur is prepared with arabica coffee beans, rum and sweetened with sugar.
- Rum: we suggest using a spiced rum like Captain Morgan, Bacardi or Sailor Jerry.
- Creme de Cacao: is a chocolate-flavored liqueur. It’s considered one of the first alcoholic beverages, made in the 1600’s by monks after cocoa beans were brought back to Europe from America.
- Cream: we suggest using light cream as it adds richness to the drink. You can also use half and half cream for a more decadent Rum Kahlua Cocktail or 1% milk for a skinny low fat option.
Rum Kahlua Cocktail Recipe Tips
This Alexandra Cocktail recipe is easy to make at home, ready to serve in under 10 minutes.
We love serving this Rum and Coffee Liqueur drink during the Christmas season at cocktail parties featuring a table covered in holiday cookies, squares and cakes.
A Rum Kahlua Cocktail can be served any time of the year as a dessert or brunch cocktail, perfect for coffee lovers craving a boozy chocolate infused drink.
We’ve used light cream in this recipe but you can substitue for a vegan option like almond milk, soy milk, cashew milk or oat milk.
This Alexandra Cocktail recipe below is listed for one person. If you’re hosting a large gathering feel free to multiply the ingredients by the number of guests and muddle the drink in a punch bowl or jug rather than a cocktail shaker.
We like to garnish the drink with shaved dark chocolate from Mexico but you can also top the cocktail with roasted coffee beans or chocolate covered espresso beans.
If you’re serving the drink as an adult dessert and love ice cream we suggest serving it with a scoop of Espresso Chocolate Chip Ice Cream.
Best Selling Rum
We suggest using a quality spiced rum when making this Alexandra cocktail but you can also use a well aged dark rum.
Here are some of the world’s best selling rum brands, perfect for muddling into a sophisticated holiday cocktail:
- Havana Club: is Cuba’s most famous rum brand, originally created in 1934. If you’re visiting Havana on holiday we highly suggest taking the Havana Club tour to learn more about the history of rum production on the island and evolution of the mojito.
- Bacardi: the world’s best selling rum was founded in 1862 in Cuba. The company moved to Puerto Rico due to the revolution and today tourists can visit the Cathedral of Rum in San Juan for the ultimate mojito experience.
- Appleton Estates: is a sugar estate and distillery in Jamaica that has been handcrafting rums since 1749. They produce a wide variety of aged rums, as well as standard gold and white rums.
- Captain Morgan: is a brand of flavoured rums named after the 17th-century Welsh privateer of the Caribbean, Sir Henry Morgan.
- Mount Gay: is a rum produced in Barbados, and dates back to 1703, making it the world’s oldest comercial rum distillery.
- Goslings: is a Bermuda-based brand famous for blending and distributing quality rum. Goslings Rum is famously the main ingredient in the Dark & Stormy cocktail.
- The Kraken: is a Caribbean black spiced rum named after the mythical squid-like sea monster. The premium rum product is produced in Trinidad and Tobago.
- Diplomatico: is a premium rum produced in the Andes Mountains in Venezuela.
- Lamb’s: first launched in 1849 and today is made with rums produced in Trinidad and Tobago and Guyana.
- El Dorado: is a premium rum produced in Guyana.
Best Bartender Tools & Cocktail Equipment
Before hosting a Rum and Kahlua Coffee Liqueur cocktail party you’ll need to ensure you have the best bartender tools and cocktail equipment.
- Cocktail Kit: cocktail kits are the perfect gift for newbie mixology fans as they include basic bartender tools like a jigger, shaker and spoon.
- Cocktail Shaker: a bartender’s best friend. Purchase a premium cocktail shaker to muddle or shake up your favourite pink gin cocktails.
- Cocktail Glassware: make sure your bar is stocked with a selection of unique glassware to show off your favourite cocktail creations.
- Hawthorne Strainer: this unique strainer features tightly wound coils and perforated holes. It keeps ice and other large ingredients like lime wedges in your cocktail shaker rather than in the glass.
- Bar Spoons: slender and long bar spoons are a must-have when stirring drinks.
- Bottle Opener: easily open bottles of beer or cider with the flick of your wrist or purchase a corkscrew for fine wine.
- Pouring Spout: once you’ve opened a new bottle of gin insert these affordable pourers to make cocktail assembly a breeze.
- Cutting Board: purchase a petite cutting board for your bar to slice garnishes or citrus wedges like lime, orange, lemon or grapefruit.
- Ice Bucket: chill bottles of gin quickly in an ice bucket or keep by the bar when muddling gin mixers into cool creations.
- Ice Crusher: fans of the Mint Julep love an ice crusher.
- Ice Cube Kit: we suggest purchasing a selection of ice cube trays. Silicone styles are our favourite as they’re easy to clean and are available in various shapes and sizes.
- Jigger: use a jigger to accurately measure spirits, juices, syrups and shrubs.
- Juicer: invest in an electronic juicer or buy an affordable hand-held to easily juice fresh citrus like lemons and limes.
- Muddler: fans of the Mojito love a sturdy muddler to mix mint and lime. Muddler’s are handy for any cocktail featuring ingredients that need a pounding like fresh herbs or citrus wedges.
- Citrus Peeler & Zester: adorn your craft cocktails with a thick citrus peel or finer ribbons of lime or lemon zest.
- Rimmer: Bloody Mary and Caesar lovers should outfit their bar with a handy rimmer for salting and sugaring glassware.
You May Also Enjoy These Rum Cocktails…
- Dark Rum Manhattan Cocktail
- Chocolate Kahlua Espresso Martini Cocktail
- Rhubarb Mojito Cocktail
- Christmas Vegan Eggnog Aquafaba Cocktail
- Brunch Rum and Orange Juice Cocktail
- Frozen Rum Raspberry Daiquiri Cocktail
- Aged Dark Rum Mojito Cocktail
- Classic Bacardi Mojito Cocktail
- Fresh Strawberry Mojito Cocktail
- Fresh Pineapple Mojito Cocktail
- Blueberry Mojito Cocktail
- Passion Fruit Mojito Cocktail
How To Make A Creamy Alexandra Cocktail Recipe
- Shot Glass
- Martini Glass
- Cocktail Shaker
- 1.5 oz Spiced Rum
- 1 oz Coffee Liqueuer
- 1 oz Creme de Cacao
- 1 oz Light Cream
- Shake all ingredients with ice into a cocktail shaker. Strain into a cocktail glass and serve.
Some of the links in this story use affiliate links. This means that if you make a purchase through our site, Dobbernationloves will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps us to produce comprehensive content.
Save this story to Pinterest!