Baileys Iced Coffee is our favourite cold coffee cocktail recipe.
Our simple, quick & easy Baileys Iced Coffee recipe features freshly brewed coffee, Baileys Original Irish Cream, whipped cream, chocolate sauce and ice.
Baileys Iced Coffee is a popular brunch cocktail to serve on a hot summer day or around the holidays at Christmas.
You can transform this Baileys cocktail into a dessert by adding two scoops of vanilla, caramel or chocolate ice cream!
Save this story to Pinterest!
What Is Baileys Irish Cream?
Baileys Irish Cream is an Irish cream liqueur, an alcoholic beverage flavoured with cream, cocoa and Irish whiskey. Ireland’s most famous sweet sip is produced by Diageo in Dublin, Republic of Ireland and Mallusk, Northern Ireland.
Baileys is the original Irish cream, invented by Tom Jago in 1971 by Gilbeys of Ireland. The formulation of Baileys was motivated partly by the availability of alcohol from a money-losing distillery and a desire to use surplus cream from another business, Express Dairies, a result of the increased popularity of skimmed milk.
Baileys was officially introduced in 1974 as the world’s first Irish cream. The name was borrowed from a restaurant owned by John Chesterman, who granted Gilbey permission to use it. The fictional R.A. Bailey signature was inspired by the Bailey’s Hotel in London.
Ever wonder how Baileys is made?
Cream and Irish whiskey from various distilleries are homogenised to form an emulsion with the aid of an emulsifier containing refined vegetable oil. The process prevents the separation of alcohol and cream during storage. Baileys contains a proprietary cocoa extract recipe giving Baileys its unique chocolate character.
Join Dobbernationloves founder Andrew Dobson in the kitchen by signing up for a fun virtual cooking class! Classes begin with a cocktail that you can sip while preparing 2-3 recipes that are curated around a unique culinary theme. Check out our current Cooking Class Schedule!
Travel to Ireland to Sip Baileys Iced Coffee
There’s no better way to familiarize yourself with the best Baileys Iced Coffee recipe then by planning a vacation to visit the world’s best whiskey distilleries.
In Scotland we enjoyed a scenic road trip to the Isle of Islay, which is best known for its famous Islay Scotch whisky distilleries. If you’re looking to experience the best things to do on the Isle of Islay visit award-winning distilleries like Bruichladdich, Laphroaig, Lagavulin, Ardbeg and Bowmore.
Fly over to Ireland and you’ll find plenty of fine whiskey produced by famous distilleries like Jamesons and Bushmills. There’s no better way to educate yourself about Irish Whiskey then by taking a tour of Jameson Distillery near Cork and Bushmills along the Causeway Coast. They’re both worth a day trip from Dublin.
Every pub, bar, restaurants and hotel cocktail bar in Ireland (including the tiniest Bed and Breakfast) has a bottle of Baileys on a shelf somewhere ready to satisfy a weary traveler.
While the most famous way to use Baileys is by adding a few glugs to your morning coffee, in Ireland it’s also added to a bowl of oatmeal porridge or decadent Baileys French Toast.
You May Also Enjoy Reading…
- Day Trips From Dublin: Belfast to Blarney Castle
- Ireland Road Trip: Best Places To Visit On An Irish Holiday
- Honeymoon in Ireland at These Romantic Luxury Hotels
- Cliff House Ardmore: Best Spa Break in Ireland Offers Michelin Dining
- Cliff at Lyons Wedding: A Romantic Luxury Hotel Near Dublin
- Smithwick’s Experience: Beer Tour in Kilkenny
- Things To Do in Cork: Southern Ireland’s Capital of Cool
- Ardmore Cliff Walk: Scenic Seaside Hike in Ireland
- Jameson Distillery Tour: Cork’s Irish Whiskey Wonderland
- Pembroke Hotel Kilkenny: Downtown Luxury Accommodation
- Things To Do in Kilkenny: Explore Ireland’s Medieval Marvel
- In Search of Virtue: An Irish Genealogy and Ancestry Adventure
- Exploring the Causeway Coast from Belfast to Bushmills
- Things To Do in Belfast: Gay Holiday in Northern Ireland’s Capital
- St. Patrick’s Day in Dublin
- Exploring Ireland’s Rugged West Coast
How To Make Homemade Baileys Irish Cream
You can prepare our quick and easy Baileys Iced Coffee by simply using a bottle of store bought Irish Cream. If you don’t have Baileys on hand, or enjoy cooking from scratch, try making this easy homemade Irish Whiskey Cream recipe.
Simply combine the ingredients below with a whisk in a large bowl. You can store the homemade Whiskey Irish Cream in a glass jar in your fridge for up to a month. It tastes great stirred into a cup of morning coffee or muddled with ice.
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 1 cup table cream
- 14oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup Irish whiskey (such as Jamesons or Bushmills)
Baileys Iced Coffee Flavours
We’ve used Baileys Original Irish Cream in this iced coffee recipe but the brand makes several unique flavours. Feel free to get creative by flavouring your Baileys Iced Coffee cocktail with salted caramel or chocolate cherry.
- Baileys Almande: a perfect option for vegans, this 100% dairy free Baileys is a blend of almond and vanilla flavour.
- Baileys Salted Caramel: classic Baileys Original Irish Cream is flavoured with salted caramel.
- Baileys Espresso Creme: classic Baileys Original Irish Cream is flavoured with salted caramel.
- Baileys Vanilla Cinnamon: classic Baileys Original Irish Cream is flavoured with bold espresso. This is one of our favourite flavours to use when making Baileys Iced Coffee.
- Baileys Chocolate Cherry: classic Baileys Original Irish Cream is flavoured with vanilla and cinnamon.
- Baileys Red Velvet Cupcake: classic Baileys Original Irish Cream is flavoured with like a Red Velvet Cupcake and pours a pretty pink colour. Perfect for Valentine’s Day or Mother’s Day brunch.
Baileys Iced Coffee Tips
- If you’re looking to make a dairy-free and vegan-friendly iced coffee cocktail prepare this recipe with Baileys Almande.
- We’ve prepared this recipe with a festive twirl of whipping cream on top drizzled with chocolate sauce. If you’re looking to cut back on calories or don’t like whipped cream feel free to omit it.
- You can also substitute garnishes. Replace chocolate sauce with caramel or use dark chocolate or white chocolate shavings.
- Transform this boozy Baileys brunch cocktail into a decadent dessert by adding 2 scoops of vanilla, caramel or chocolate ice cream.
- We suggest serving Baileys Iced Coffee in a glass mug but you can also pour the drink into a normal coffee mug.
- This is our favourite cocktail recipe for using up leftover cold coffee that hasn’t been finished at breakfast. You can also use freshly brewed coffee but ensure it cools to room temperature first or you’ll find the ice cubes melting in seconds.
- For a richer coffee experience use cold espresso.
Best Bartender Tools & Cocktail Equipment
Before hosting a swanky Baileys Iced Coffee soiree you’ll need to ensure you have the best bartender tools and cocktail equipment.
- Cocktail Kit: cocktail kits are the perfect gift for newbie mixology fans as they include basic bartender tools like a jigger, shaker and spoon.
- Cocktail Shaker: a bartenders best friend. Purchase a premium cocktail shaker to muddle or shake up your favourite pink gin cocktails.
- Cocktail Glassware: make sure your bar is stocked with a selection of unique glassware to show off your favourite cocktail creations.
- Hawthorne Strainer: this unique strainer features tightly wound coils and perforated holes. It keeps ice and other large ingredients like lime wedges in your cocktail shaker rather than in the glass.
- Bar Spoons: slender and long bar spoons are a must-have when stirring drinks.
- Bottle Opener: easily open bottles of beer or cider with the flick of your wrist or purchase a corkscrew for fine wine.
- Pouring Spout: once you’ve opened a new bottle of gin insert these affordable pourers to make cocktail assembly a breeze.
- Cutting Board: purchase a petite cutting board for your bar to slice garnishes or citrus wedges like lime, orange, lemon or grapefruit.
- Ice Bucket: chill bottles of gin quickly in an ice bucket or keep by the bar when muddling gin mixers into cool creations.
- Ice Crusher: fans of the Mint Julep love an ice crusher.
- Ice Cube Kit: we suggest purchasing a selection of ice cube trays. Silicone styles are our favourite as they’re easy to clean and are available in various shapes and sizes.
- Jigger: use a jigger to accurately measure spirits, juices, syrups and shrubs.
- Juicer: invest in an electronic juicer or buy an affordable hand-held to easily juice fresh citrus like lemons and limes.
- Muddler: fans of the Mojito love a sturdy muddler to mix mint and lime. Muddler’s are handy for any cocktail featuring ingredients that need a pounding like fresh herbs or citrus wedges.
- Citrus Peeler & Zester: adorn your craft cocktails with a thick citrus peel or finer ribbons of lime or lemon zest.
- Rimmer: Bloody Mary and Caesar lovers should outfit their bar with a handy rimmer for salting and sugaring glassware.
You May Also Enjoy Reading…
- Aperol Gin Cocktail Drink Recipe
- Best Orange Gin & Yellow Gin For Cocktails
- Gin and Cranberry Juice Cocktail Drink Recipe
- Pomegranate Gin Fizz Cocktail Drink Recipe
- Irish Whiskey Sour Drink Cocktail Recipe
- Healthy Cucumber Gin and Tonic Cocktail Recipe
- Bushmills Cocktail: Irish Whiskey and Apple Juice Recipe
- Best Gin Mixers For Easy Homemade Cocktail Drinks
- Best Recipes For Pretty Pink Gin Cocktails
- Best Gay Cocktail Drinks To Enjoy During Pride
- Procreate Tutorial: How To Draw A Bottle
- Best Cocktail Bars in Savannah
- Best Ottawa Cocktail Bars
- Best Cocktail Bars in Rochester
- Best Cocktails Bars in Calgary
- Best Luxury Hotel Cocktail Bars in Hong Kong
- Best Bali Bars for Cocktail Lovers
- 5 Luxury Hotel Cocktail Bars in Manhattan
How To Make the Best Baileys Iced Coffee
Baileys Iced Coffee Cocktail
- Coffee Maker
- Shot Glass
- Glass Mug
- 6 oz Brewed Coffee
- 2 oz Baileys Irish Whiskey Cream
- 2 oz Whipped Cream
- 0.5 oz Chocolate Sauce
- Brew coffee and set aside until cool.
- In an ice-filled cocktail glass pour Baileys Irish Whiskey Cream.
- Top the glass with cold brewed coffee, leaving an inch worth of room for garnish.
- Top Baileys Iced Coffee cocktail with whipped cream and drizzle of chocolate sauce.
Some of the links in this story use affiliate links. This means that if you purchase through our site, Dobbernationloves will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps us to produce comprehensive content.
Save this story to Pinterest!