Looking to read a detailed Melia Phuket Mai Khao Resort review before booking your next trip to southern Thailand? You’ve come to the right place!
Nestled on soft powder sands, Melia Phuket Mai Khao Resort is a splashy design hotel on the paradise island of Phuket.
Sleek and sophisticated, this postcard-perfect Thai resort is located on Mai Khao Beach, on the northern tip of the island.
I spent 3 nights in a luxurious pool villa at the resort. My Melia Phuket Resort review features info on the hotel’s accommodation options, spa services, restaurant menus, and on-site amenities.
Book A Luxurious Holiday at Melia Phuket Mai Khao Resort
Melia Phuket is located on Phuket’s north western tip overlooking Mai Khao Beach.
Mai Khao Beach is in the protected area of Sirinath National Park, ideal for sport activities and relaxation. It is the only beach on the island where the leatherback turtle comes to lay its eggs.
Located a short drive from Phuket International Airport and Sarasin Bridge, Melia Resort in Mai Khao is the perfect location for those looking to explore Phang-Nga on the mainland.
The property is Mediterranean-inspired thanks to the brands headquarters in Spain. It first opened its doors to guests in November, 2021.
Melia Phuket was designed by SODA architects with the concept of “water is vital to all life.” The master planning concept envisioned a series of sequentially layered forms and spaces organized and shaped by the passage of water creating a journey to and from the sea.
Mai Khao Beach and its resident leatherback turtles are the inspiration for the resorts unique architectural aesthetic. Turtle shell designs can be found on grey lattice in the lobby, spa, and restaurants.
Melia Phuket Mai Khao Resort Activities
The 5 star luxury hotel in Phuket features 100 suites and villas, perfect for a romantic Phuket honeymoon or relaxing family retreat.
The property boasts 3 pools, including Sol Pool, Luna Pool and a Kids Pool. Guests can also sign up for fun signature experiences at the resort like private dining on the beach, Thai boxing, sunset yoga, Thai cooking classes, catamaran cruise and Phuket Old Town heritage walk.
YHI Spa is the hotel’s mecca for wellness enthusiasts. You’ll find a world-class gym and spa menu featuring traditional Thai massages, relaxing facials, and body wraps.
The hotel’s 2 restaurants, GAIA and SASA, are outlet brands that are available at all Melia Hotel properties worldwide. Each morning SASA offers a decadent breakfast buffet. At lunch and dinner guests can enjoy a colourful collection of dishes at GAIA including Mediterranean staples and local Thai delicacies.
Melia Phuket Hotel Review Highlights
Phuket is a tropical paradise island similar to Hawaii and Bali, offering an endless array of jaw-dropping accommodations. The island is a very popular destination for freshly married couples looking to book a romantic honeymoon package.
Before booking your trip here are a list of highlights that make Melia Resort in Phuket stand out from the rest.
- Melia Phuket is one of the newest luxury hotels to open on the island so it’s sparkling brand new. We visited the pristine property just 11 months after its grand opening.
- It’s location, a short 10 minute drive from the airport, makes it an ideal accommodation option when arriving after a long haul flight, or if you have an early morning flight the day you have to check out.
- The hotel is also located a short drive from Sarasin Bridge, which connects the Phuket to Phang-Nga on the mainland. If you’re keen to visit James Bond Island on a boat tour the resort is ideally located for a quick day trip.
- Melia Resort in Phuket stands out as a design lovers dream. The property has an eye-catching landscape design. Orchids can be found growing out of coconut shells that hang on the trunks of palm trees and even feature a QR code for those keen to learn about the variety of each plant.
- The resort offers a variety of luxe accommodation options including suites with outdoor tubs, pool villas and gorgeous wellness villas.
- The hotel is ideal for couples but also accommodates families with children as they have plenty of fun activities as well as a kids club program.
- The service here is top drawer, from poolside servers to attentive spa therapists, and restaurant menus that are best described as exquisite!
Melia Phuket Mai Khao Resort Accommodation
The most important question you have to ask yourself when reading a Melia Phuket Resort review is, “what type of accommodation would I like to book for my holiday.”
All of the suites and villas at the Melia Phuket feature an open-air shower with premium amenities like Nespresso machines. Suites feature outdoor freestanding bathtubs, comfy Bali bed on a spacious 40 sqm balcony.
If you’re looking to splurge we suggest booking one of the villas as they’re outfitted with a private plunge pool. All villas offer a spacious terrace featuring a 14 sqm plunge pool and outdoor bathtub perfect for an al fresco bubble bath.
Book the Wellness Villa for a truly relaxing holiday as it includes a daily 1 hour massage, open-air Vitamin C shower to boost your immune system, yoga FIT Ball and a yoga mat to stay fit on vacation.
Melia Phuket Mai Khao Resort Spa
YHI Spa is the home of rest and relaxation at Melia Phuket Resort.
The Australian tribal myth of YHI, who is the goddess responsible for creating life and light, personified by the Sun for the Karraur, was the inspiration behind the creation of the YHI SPA concept for all Meliá Hotels.
The spa at Melia Phuket Resort features relaxing treatment rooms that are named after five elements found in nature: Fire, Water, Light Forrest and Earth.
YHI Spa uses HARNN spa products, which use a combination of natural plant based and Thai indigenous organic ingredients. Unique treatments here are designed and inspired by the traditional healing arts of Asia and European elegance.
If you book a relaxing spa day be sure to make time to enjoy the sauna and steam room after your treatments. The gorgeous couples suite features 2 massage tables as well as an oversized bath that looks like a ramen noodle bowl!
Highlights from the YHI Spa menu include Chi Nei Tsang Massage, Traditional Thai Massage, Thai Jasmine Body Exfoliation, and Milk Fleur Bath Ritual.
You May Also Enjoy Reading These Thai Stories…
- Things to Do When Beach Hopping in Thailand
- Phulay Bay Ritz-Carlton Reserve in Krabi
- Four Seasons Resort Koh Samui
- The Tongsai Bay Luxury Resort in Koh Samui
- W Koh Samui Luxury Resort in Thailand
- Amari Resort Koh Samui in Thailand
- Amari Vogue Krabi Luxury Resort in Thailand
- The Best Popular & Famous Spicy Thai Food Dishes
- 10 Must Try Tastes in Thailand
Melia Phuket Resort Restaurants
No Melia Phuket Resort review is complete until you’ve had an opportunity to wag your finger down each of the hotel’s mouth-watering menus.
The luxury design hotel in Phuket offers guests 2 restaurant concepts, from elevated Mediterranean gastronomy to spicy South East Asian delicacies.
GAIA celebrates Spain’s famed gastronomy by serving Mediterranean and fusion cuisine from an open kitchen and an imaginative cocktail selection from its pool bar.
GAIA restaurant offers romantic open-air seating for 38 guests. Elegant seating arrangements feature white marble table tops and smooth wooden and wicker chairs.
Executive Chef Alec Lomas originally hails from Vancouver and brings a friendly Canadian sensibility to the resorts culinary program. Chef Lomas recently revamped the GAIA lunch and dinner menu. Highlights include Spanish Croquettes, Kale Caesar, pizzas, pastas, lamb kofta, kurobuta pork chop and local lobster.
During the day if you’re feeling peckish while soaking up the sun you can easily ring a server at GAIA Pool Bar from the comfort of a breezy cabana. Enjoy a selection of tropical-inspired craft cocktails, local beer or fine wine.
SASA is where guests of the resort gather each morning for an indulgent breakfast buffet. The restaurant features indoor seating for 48 guests as well as tables on an outdoor patio. The space is decorated with raw materials like wood and glass and feature comfy bench seating decorated with plush pillows.
The brunch buffet at SASA features a mix of Western staples (like charcuterie, cheese, French Toast, pancakes, and Eggs Benedict) as well as Asian inspirations such as congee, DIY noodle soup, dim sum and coconut curry.
The stylish all-day dining venue offers casual fine dining in the evening with an emphasis on fresh seafood. Chef Lomas describes the new SASA menu as, “selecting seafood from local fishermen and sustainable sources around the world including live oysters, clams, and mussels. We also showcase traditional Thai dishes and speciality southern Thai island-style recipes.”
Highlights from the dinner menu at SASA include Green Papaya Salad, Phuket pineapple curry with mussels, coconut green curry with chicken and selection of fresh fish, scallops, clams, mussels and lobster.
Fun Things To Do In Phuket
It’s important to take a break from sunbathing on the beach to explore all that Phuket has to offer! Book a fun tour or authentic Thai experience to make your visit to Phuket unforgettable!
- Private Airport Transfer in Phuket: start your Phuket honeymoon with ease by booking a private airport transfer.
- James Bond Island Luxury Catamaran Tour: enjoy an 8 hour day trip to the famous James Bond Island including a buffet lunch, swimming, snorkeling and kayaking. Enjoy sunset during dinner on your return journey.
- Small-Group Jungle Hiking Excursion in Khao Phra Teaw Park: join a small group of active travelers on a 6 hour tour to hike the beautiful jungle at Khao Phra Teaw Park.
- Simon Cabaret Drag Show: is one of Thailand’s most famous drag show cabarets. Enjoy a musical spectacular featuring glamorous costumes and hilarious skits.
- Horse Riding On the Beach At Sunset: book a romantic hour-long horseback riding experience on the beach at sunset.
- Phuket Jet Ski Tour: cruise through turquoise waters on a jet ski on this island-hopping day tour from Phuket.
- Phuket City Tour: enjoy a 5 hour tour of Phuket featuring stops at top attractions like the Big Buddha statue, sacred Wat Chalong temple, a cashew nut factory, and Windmill Viewpoint.
- Phuket Elephant Sanctuary: enjoy an unforgettable encounter with elephants on this 3 hour tour. Located on 30 acres of lush, tropical land bordering the Khao Phra Thaeo National Park, this sanctuary focusses on compassionate and ethical elephant tourism.
- Phuket Old Town Food Tour: foodies will love this 4 hour food tour of Phuket Old Town. Taste authentic Burmese curries, Hokkien noodles, and locally grown tropical fruits.
- Thai Cooking Class: enjoy a 3 hour cooking class to learn traditional Thai cuisine techniques.
- Muay Thai Boxing at Patong Boxing Stadium: sports fans enjoy a 3 hour Muay Thai boxing match, one of the most popular sports in Thailand.
- ATV And Zipline Experience: enjoy an exhilarating 3 hours exploring lush jungle by ATV then fly through the treetops on a zipline.
233 Mai Khao, 66-76-563-550
Some of the links in this story use affiliate links. This means that if you make a purchase through our site, Dobbernationloves will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps us to produce comprehensive content.