Learn how to make the best Scotch Sour cocktail recipe.
Scotland is home to many award-winning whisky brands that taste great when shaken into a lemon and egg white foam topped cocktail.
Pair premium Scotch whisky with freshly squeezed lemon juice for a festive holiday drink best enjoyed during the fall at Thanksgiving and winter during the holiday Christmas season and Rabbie Burns Day in January. We also love serving this refreshing citrus-infused drink on a hot summer day.
Our homemade simple Scotch Sour features premium Scottish whisky, lemon juice, simple syrup, bitters and egg white.
Save this story to Pinterest!
Travel To Scotland to Sip a Scotch Sour
There’s no better way to familiarize yourself with the best Scotch Sour cocktail recipe then by planning a vacation to visit the world’s best whisky distilleries.
Some of the world’s most famous whisky distilleries can be found in the United Kingdom and Ireland.
In Scotland we enjoyed a scenic road trip to the Isle of Islay, which is best known for its famous Islay Scotch whisky distilleries. If you’re looking to experience the best things to do on the Isle of Islay visit award-winning distilleries like Bruichladdich, Laphroaig, Lagavulin, Ardbeg and Bowmore.
We also suggest sipping local Scottish whisky on the Isle of Skye, Glasgow, Edinburgh and The Highlands. One of our favourite things to do in Edinburgh is the The Scotch Whisky Experience.
Every pub, bar, restaurants and hotel cocktail bar in Scotland (including the tiniest Bed and Breakfast) offers a selection Scotch bottles, ready to satisfy a weary, thirsty traveler.
Once you’ve arrived in Scotland on holiday we suggest asking your nearest bartender to fix you a traditional Scotch Sour.
You May Also Enjoy Reading…
- Honeymoon In Scotland: Glasgow, Edinburgh, Islay, Skye and Inverness
- Best Things To Do In Edinburgh At Night
- Things To Do In Skye: Best Scottish Island Holiday
- Achnagairn Castle: Luxury Hotel Near Inverness
- Edinbane Lodge: Luxury Boutique Hotel and Restaurant in Skye
- Balmoral Hotel Afternoon Tea: Best High Tea in Edinburgh
- Best Edinburgh Breweries
- Best Islay Distilleries: Scotland’s Whisky Island
- Best Things To Do On Islay in Scotland
- Travel to Glasgow, Scotland
- Travel to Edinburgh, Scotland
10 Best Scotch Whisky Brands
If it’s your first time making a homemade Scotch Sour you’ll want to sample a selection of premium whisky bottles distilled in Scotland. Here are a few of our favourite Scotch brands:
- Chivas Regal
- Johnnie Walker
- The Glenlivet
Best Bartender Tools & Cocktail Equipment
Before hosting a swanky Scotch Sour soiree you’ll need to ensure you have the best bartender tools and cocktail equipment.
- Cocktail Kit: cocktail kits are the perfect gift for newbie mixology fans as they include basic bartender tools like a jigger, shaker and spoon.
- Cocktail Shaker: a bartenders best friend. Purchase a premium cocktail shaker to muddle or shake up your favourite pink gin cocktails.
- Cocktail Glassware: make sure your bar is stocked with a selection of unique glassware to show off your favourite cocktail creations.
- Hawthorne Strainer: this unique strainer features tightly wound coils and perforated holes. It keeps ice and other large ingredients like lime wedges in your cocktail shaker rather than in the glass.
- Bar Spoons: slender and long bar spoons are a must-have when stirring drinks.
- Bottle Opener: easily open bottles of beer or cider with the flick of your wrist or purchase a corkscrew for fine wine.
- Pouring Spout: once you’ve opened a new bottle of gin insert these affordable pourers to make cocktail assembly a breeze.
- Cutting Board: purchase a petite cutting board for your bar to slice garnishes or citrus wedges like lime, orange, lemon or grapefruit.
- Ice Bucket: chill bottles of gin quickly in an ice bucket or keep by the bar when muddling gin mixers into cool creations.
- Ice Crusher: fans of the Mint Julep love an ice crusher.
- Ice Cube Kit: we suggest purchasing a selection of ice cube trays. Silicone styles are our favourite as they’re easy to clean and are available in various shapes and sizes.
- Jigger: use a jigger to accurately measure spirits, juices, syrups and shrubs.
- Juicer: invest in an electronic juicer or buy an affordable hand-held to easily juice fresh citrus like lemons and limes.
- Muddler: fans of the Mojito love a sturdy muddler to mix mint and lime. Muddler’s are handy for any cocktail featuring ingredients that need a pounding like fresh herbs or citrus wedges.
- Citrus Peeler & Zester: adorn your craft cocktails with a thick citrus peel or finer ribbons of lime or lemon zest.
- Rimmer: Bloody Mary and Caesar lovers should outfit their bar with a handy rimmer for salting and sugaring glassware.
Scotch Sour Cocktail Ingredients
Our favourite Scotch Sour cocktail is made with the best fresh ingredients:
- Scotch Whisky: if you’ve never sipped a peated whisky, we highly recommend using a classic Scotch from the Isle of Islay for a very unique Scottish sipping experience.
- Lemon Juice: we suggest using freshly squeezed lemon juice. Don’t you dare use the store bought stuff!
- Simple Syrup: we make our own homemade simple syrup but you could also spice things up by using Organic Ginger Syrup by The Ginger People.
- Bitters: add a few dashes of bitters to round out your cocktail. You can use classic Angostura Bitters or a seasonally appropriate flavour such as Pear Bitters.
- Egg White: this makes our whisky sour drink extra festive and adds a frothy and creamy mouth feel.
Scotch Sour Cocktail Tips
This Scotch Sour recipe is easy to make at home, ready to serve in 5 to 10 minutes.
We love serving Scotch Sours in the fall and winter months as they do a great job at warming you up on a cold day. The recipe is a real crowd pleaser at holiday parties and Thanksgiving dinners.
This recipe serves one person. If you’re hosting a large gathering feel free to multiply the ingredients by the number of guests and muddle the drink in a punch bowl or jug rather than a cocktail shaker.
If you don’t like raw egg in your drink feel free to serve without.
You May Also Enjoy Reading…
- Best Baileys Iced Coffee Cocktail Drink Recipe
- Aperol Gin Cocktail Drink Recipe
- Gin and Cranberry Juice Cocktail Drink Recipe
- Pomegranate Gin Fizz Cocktail Drink Recipe
- Irish Whiskey Sour Drink Cocktail Recipe
- Healthy Cucumber Gin and Tonic Cocktail Recipe
- Bushmills Cocktail: Irish Whiskey and Apple Juice Recipe
- Best Gin Mixers For Easy Homemade Cocktail Drinks
- Best Recipes For Pretty Pink Gin Cocktails
- Best Gay Cocktail Drinks To Enjoy During Pride
- Procreate Tutorial: How To Draw A Bottle
- Best Cocktail Bars in Savannah
- Best Ottawa Cocktail Bars
- Best Cocktail Bars in Rochester
- Best Cocktails Bars in Calgary
- Best Luxury Hotel Cocktail Bars in Hong Kong
- Best Bali Bars for Cocktail Lovers
- 5 Luxury Hotel Cocktail Bars in Manhattan
How To Make the Best Scotch Sour
Scotch Whisky Sour
- Shot Glass
- Cocktail Shaker
- Rocks glass
- 2 oz Scotch Whisky
- 1 oz Lemon Juice
- 0.5 oz Simple Syrup
- 1 Egg White
- 2 Dashes Angostura Bitters
- In a cocktail shaker, add 2 ice cubes, Scotch whisky, lemon juice, simple syrup, egg white and bitters.
- Shake contents of the cocktail shaker for 45 seconds – 1 minute to help froth up the egg white. The cocktail shaker should feel cold to the touch when finished.
- Pour contents of the cocktail shaker into a rock glass through a fine sieve. This will catch any leftover egg white and can be discarded.
- Sprinkle Scotch Whisky Sour Cocktail with a few drops of bitters to colour the egg white foam.
Some of the links in this story use affiliate links. This means that if you purchase through our site, Dobbernationloves will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps us to produce comprehensive content.
Save this story to Pinterest!