Learn how to make the Perfect Patron Margarita recipe.
Our quick & easy recipe features premium Patron tequila, orange liqueur, fresh lime juice, simple syrup, salt rim and lime slice garnish.
We love serving this Patron Margarita recipe in the summer at our cottage dock in Muskoka or on a patio in Toronto. On a hot day it’s a truly refreshing boozy beverage!
Save this story to Pinterest!
What Is a Patron Margarita Cocktail?
A margarita is a Mexican cocktail consisting of tequila, orange liqueur, and lime juice often served with salt on the rim of the glass. The drink is served shaken with ice, blended with ice, or without ice.
According to cocktail historian David Wondrich, the margarita is related to a popular Mexican drink, the Daisy (margarita is Spanish for daisy), remade with tequila instead of brandy. Daisies are a family of cocktails that include a base spirit, liqueur, and citrus.
It became popular during Prohibition as American residents travelled to Mexico for alcohol. There is an account from 1936 of Iowa newspaper editor James Graham finding such a cocktail in Tijuana, years before any of the other margarita creation myths.
One of the earliest stories is of the margarita being invented in 1938 by Carlos “Danny” Herrera at his restaurant Rancho La Gloria, halfway between Tiju ana and Rosarito. He apparently created it for customer and former Ziegfeld dancer Marjorie King, who was allergic to many spirits, but not to tequila. This story was related by Herrera and also by bartender Albert Hernandez, acknowledged for popularizing a margarita in San Diego after 1947, at the La Plaza restaurant in La Jolla.
Today order a Patron Margarita at your favourite Mexican restaurant or cocktail bar and you’ll enjoy a refreshing drink prepared with one of the world’s best tequila brands.
Travel To Mexico to Taste The Best Tequila
There’s no better way to familiarize yourself with the Perfect Patron Margarita recipe then by planning a vacation to visit the world’s best tequila distilleries.
As cocktail enthusiasts we’ve traveled the world to visit the best tequila, gin, whiskey and rum distilleries.
We love traveling to Mexico. We’ve sipped tequila muddled cocktails in Puerto Vallarta, Los Cabos, Mexico City, Merida, Chichen Itza and Playa del Carmen.
The bar at Four Seasons Mexico City is ranked as one of the best cocktail bars in the country. The creative mixologists behind the Four Seasons bar make classic cocktails, eye-popping modern marvels and refreshing drinks like a Patron Margarita.
If you want to learn first hand how tequila is made we suggest planning a trip to Jalisco. All tequila is produced in this state, while other agave-based distilled spirits made outside the region are called mezcal.
We suggest booking a Patron Distillery Tour in Jalisco. The gorgeous property appears like a Mexican mansion featuring outdoor fountains, state-of-the-art production facility and enchanting barrel aging room. You’ll see how the head distiller receives agave plants after harvest and makes premium tequila in copper stills.
At the end of the tour you’ll enjoy a tutored tequila tasting and opportunity to sip a Perfect Patron Margarita at the bar.
Types of Patron Tequila
Patron is one of the world’ stop selling tequila brands. Everything including the barrels, corks, and bottles are handcrafted at the distillery.
You can make a Perfect Patron Margarita using any of the brands premium tequila bottles:
- Patron Silver: white spirit made with fine Weber Blue Agave.
- Patron Reposado: aged for at least 2 months with a hint of oak flavour.
- Patron Anejo: oak aged for over 12 months producing the perfect sipping tequila.
- Patron Extra Anejo: smooth, golden tequila aged in oak barrels for at least 3 years.
- Gran Patron Smoky: a sophisticated silver tequila featuring a complex smoky flavour.
- Gran Patron Platinum Silver Tequila: triple distilled and oak rested for a smooth and full-bodied flavour.
Best Bartender Tools & Cocktail Equipment
Before hosting a swanky Patron Margarita soiree you’ll need to ensure you have the best bartender tools and cocktail equipment.
- Cocktail Kit: cocktail kits are the perfect gift for newbie mixology fans as they include basic bartender tools like a jigger, shaker and spoon.
- Cocktail Shaker: a bartender’s best friend. Purchase a premium cocktail shaker to muddle or shake up your favourite pink gin cocktails.
- Cocktail Glassware: make sure your bar is stocked with a selection of unique glassware to show off your favourite cocktail creations.
- Hawthorne Strainer: this unique strainer features tightly wound coils and perforated holes. It keeps ice and other large ingredients like lime wedges in your cocktail shaker rather than in the glass.
- Bar Spoons: slender and long bar spoons are a must-have when stirring drinks.
- Bottle Opener: easily open bottles of beer or cider with the flick of your wrist or purchase a corkscrew for fine wine.
- Pouring Spout: once you’ve opened a new bottle of gin insert these affordable pourers to make cocktail assembly a breeze.
- Cutting Board: purchase a petite cutting board for your bar to slice garnishes or citrus wedges like lime, orange, lemon or grapefruit.
- Ice Bucket: chill bottles of gin quickly in an ice bucket or keep by the bar when muddling gin mixers into cool creations.
- Ice Crusher: fans of the Mint Julep love an ice crusher.
- Ice Cube Kit: we suggest purchasing a selection of ice cube trays. Silicone styles are our favourite as they’re easy to clean and are available in various shapes and sizes.
- Jigger: use a jigger to accurately measure spirits, juices, syrups and shrubs.
- Juicer: invest in an electronic juicer or buy an affordable hand-held to easily juice fresh citrus like lemons and limes.
- Muddler: fans of the Mojito love a sturdy muddler to mix mint and lime. Muddler’s are handy for any cocktail featuring ingredients that need a pounding like fresh herbs or citrus wedges.
- Citrus Peeler & Zester: adorn your craft cocktails with a thick citrus peel or finer ribbons of lime or lemon zest.
- Rimmer: Bloody Mary and Caesar lovers should outfit their bar with a handy rimmer for salting and sugaring glassware.
Patron Margarita Recipe Ingredients
Our homemade Patron Margarita cocktail is made with fresh and premium ingredients:
- Patron Tequila: we suggest using Patron Silver, Reposado or Anejo.
- Orange Liqueur: use Triple Sec or Cointreau.
- Lime Juice: we always suggest juicing fresh limes as you’ll taste the difference. Do not use store bought lime juice!
- Simple Syrup: you can easily make homemade simple syrup, which is prepared by heating equal parts water and white sugar.
- Salt: we suggest decorating the rim of your cocktail glass with kosher salt.
- Lime Slice: garnish the cocktail glass with a fresh lime slice, wheel or wedge.
Perfect Patron Margarita Cocktail Tips
This cocktail recipe is easy to make at home, ready to serve in under 5 minutes.
We love serving our Patron Margarita recipe in the hot summer months. The refreshing tequila cocktail is a crowd pleaser at garden parties, family barbecues and cottage cocktail hours.
Our Perfect Patron Margarita serves one person. If you’re hosting a large gathering feel free to multiply the ingredients by the number of guests and muddle the drink in a punch bowl or jug rather than a cocktail shaker.
We’ve made this drink with a salted rim but if you don’t like salty beverages you can skip this step.
You May Also Enjoy These Mexican Recipes…
- Tommy’s Margarita Cocktail
- Mexican Mule Tequila Cocktail
- Homemade Air Fryer Nachos
- Vegetarian Chipotle Mexican Bean Soup
- Cheesy Vegetarian Antojito
- Jalapeno Poppers Recipe
- Chicken Fajita Tacos
- Mexican Sweet Potato Rice
- Mexican Queso
- Albondigas al Chipotle Smoky Mexican Meatballs
- Salsa de Huevo Vegetarian Mexican Scrambled Eggs
- Asado de Boda Mexican Chile Pork Stew
- Mango Pico de Gallo Salsa
Perfect Patron Margarita Cocktail Recipe
Perfect Patron Margarita Cocktail
- Cocktail Shaker
- Shot Glass
- Citrus Juicer
- Cocktail Glass
- 1.5 oz Patron Tequila
- 1 oz Orange Liqueur
- 0.75 oz Lime Juice
- 0.25 oz Simple Syrup
- Kosher Salt rim
- Lime Slice garnish
- Combine liquid ingredients in a cocktail shaker and shake vigorously with ice to chill for 20-30 seconds.
- Strain into an ice-filled salt-rimmed rocks glass.
- Garnish with lime slice.
Some of the links in this story use affiliate links. This means that if you make a purchase through our site, Dobbernationloves will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps us to produce comprehensive content.
Save this story to Pinterest!