This creamy Dreamsicle Drink recipe is an adults-only boozy cocktail inspired by the popular Creamsicle popsicle.
It is typically served as an aperitif “after dinner drink” and is one of our favourite creamy citrus dessert cocktails. We also love making this recipe on hot summer days as an homage to the Creamsicle that used to melt across our faces in July and August.
Make our easy Dreamsicle Cocktail recipe by shaking together Vodka, Cointreau Orange Liqueur, Galliano Vanilla Liqueur, cream, freshly squeezed orange juice and a splash of soda!
Save this story to Pinterest!
What Is A Dreamsicle Drink?
The Creamsicle was first made in 1905 by 11-year-old Frank Epperson who experimented with putting fruit juice around vanilla ice cream. He called his creation the “epsicle” which later became known as a popsicle, creamsicle, and dreamsicle!
The original flavour was orange, but today you can find them in many different flavours like blue raspberry, lime, grape, cherry, and blueberry.
Creamsicle is actually a brand name, but it has become so synonymous with this kind of ice cream that many people call other versions a creamsicle as well. The company also made the Fudgesicle and the Dreamsicle, which contains ice milk rather than ice cream.
Are you a lover of that classic orange and cream combination? Our easy cocktail recipe tastes just like an Orange Creamsicle Popsicle but in liquid form!
What Is Galliano Liqueur?
Liquore Galliano L’Autentico, known more commonly as Galliano, is a sweet herbal liqueur produced in Italy. It was created in 1896 by Tuscan distiller and brandy producer Arturo Vaccari and named after Giuseppe Galliano, an Italian officer of the Royal Italian Army of the First Italo-Ethiopian War
Galliano is sweet with vanilla-anise flavour and subtle citrus and woodsy herbal undernotes. The vanilla top note differentiates Galliano from other anise-flavoured liqueurs such as anisette, ouzo, sambuca, and Pernod.
Galliano is used both as a digestif and as an ingredient for cocktails, notably the Harvey Wallbanger, Yellow Bird, Golden Cadillac, and Golden Dream.
Galliano gives the Dreamsicle Drink a lovely yellow colour and vanilla flavour.
What Is Cointreau Liqueur?
Cointreau is an orange-flavoured triple sec liqueur produced in Saint-Barthélemy-d’Anjou, France. It is consumed as an apéritif and digestif, and is a component of several well-known craft cocktails like the margarita.
It was originally called Curaçao Blanco Triple Sec. Despite the orange bottle, Cointreau is colourless.
Cointreau Distillery was set up in 1849 by Adolphe Cointreau, a confectioner, and his brother Edouard-Jean Cointreau. Their first success was with the cherry liqueur Guignolet, but they also found success when they blended sweet and bitter orange peels and pure alcohol from sugar beets.
The first bottles of Cointreau were sold in 1875. Today, an estimated 13 million bottles are sold each year, in more than 150 countries.
Cointreau gives the Dreamsicle Cocktail a sweet orange flavour.
Dreamsicle Cocktail Ingredients
Our tasty Dreamsicle drink recipe is easy to make at home and tastes just like your favourite orange flavoured popsicle!
- Vodka: we suggest using Smirnoff or Absolut. You can also use a vanilla vodka or whipped cream vodka.
- Orange Liqueur: we like to use Cointreau a French orange-flavoured liqueur but you can also use Triple Sec as a substitute.
- Galliano: an Italian anise and vanilla flavoured liqueur.
- Cream: we suggest using 18% table cream for the perfect creamy mouthfeel.
- Orange Juice: only use freshly squeezed orange juice!
- Soda: a splash of sparkling water gives the drink a fizzy float.
Dreamsicle Drink Recipe Tips
This easy Dreamsicle Drink recipe is easy to make at home, ready to serve in under 5 minutes!
If you can’t find Galliano Vanilla Liqueur at your local liquor store you can substitute with a splash of high quality bourbon vanilla extract.
We’ve used a standard vodka but you can substitute with your favourite Vanilla Vodka or Whipped Cream Vodka. This is also a great way to get the vanilla flavour in your drink if you can’t find Galliano Liqueur.
We’ve used 18% table cream in this recipe but you can use 5% light cream if you’re looking to cut down on calories. We prefer the richer mouthfeel.
We suggest using freshly squeezed orange juice but you can also use orange soda. If using a soda omit the soda water as the drink will already be fizzy.
If you’re serving these drinks at a special celebration top with a tuft of whipped cream.
You can make a Frozen Dreamsicle Drink by adding all the ingredients into a blender with ice and making a slushy.
We love serving this creamy orange dessert cocktail as an after dinner drink at special celebrations. It’s perfect for those who love Creamsicles as it has a similar vanilla ice cream and fresh orange flavour profile.
Since the drink incorporates freshly squeezed orange juice it’s also a delightful brunch cocktail. If you’re feeling decadent, serve the drink in a martini glass with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or orange sorbet and tiny spoon for dessert.
Our Dreamsicle Cocktail recipe serves one person. If you’re hosting a large gathering feel free to multiply the ingredients by the number of guests and muddle the drink in a punch bowl or jug.
If you find the drink is too strong, feel free to add more orange juice or soda to make it more refreshing.
Best Bartender Tools & Cocktail Equipment
Before hosting a swanky Dreamsicle Cocktail soiree you’ll need to ensure you have the best bartender tools and cocktail equipment.
- Cocktail Kit: cocktail kits are the perfect gift for newbie mixology fans as they include basic bartender tools like a jigger, shaker and spoon.
- Cocktail Shaker: a bartender’s best friend. Purchase a premium cocktail shaker to muddle or shake up your favourite pink gin cocktails.
- Cocktail Glassware: make sure your bar is stocked with a selection of unique glassware to show off your favourite cocktail creations.
- Hawthorne Strainer: this unique strainer features tightly wound coils and perforated holes. It keeps ice and other large ingredients like lime wedges in your cocktail shaker rather than in the glass.
- Bar Spoons: slender and long bar spoons are a must-have when stirring drinks.
- Bottle Opener: easily open bottles of beer or cider with the flick of your wrist or purchase a corkscrew for fine wine.
- Pouring Spout: once you’ve opened a new bottle of gin insert these affordable pourers to make cocktail assembly a breeze.
- Cutting Board: purchase a petite cutting board for your bar to slice garnishes or citrus wedges like lime, orange, lemon or grapefruit.
- Ice Bucket: chill bottles of gin quickly in an ice bucket or keep by the bar when muddling gin mixers into cool creations.
- Ice Crusher: fans of the Mint Julep love an ice crusher.
- Ice Cube Kit: we suggest purchasing a selection of ice cube trays. Silicone styles are our favourite as they’re easy to clean and are available in various shapes and sizes.
- Jigger: use a jigger to accurately measure spirits, juices, syrups and shrubs.
- Juicer: invest in an electronic juicer or buy an affordable hand-held to easily juice fresh citrus like lemons and limes.
- Muddler: fans of the Mojito love a sturdy muddler to mix mint and lime. Muddler’s are handy for any cocktail featuring ingredients that need a pounding like fresh herbs or citrus wedges.
- Citrus Peeler & Zester: adorn your craft cocktails with a thick citrus peel or finer ribbons of lime or lemon zest.
- Rimmer: Bloody Mary and Caesar lovers should outfit their bar with a handy rimmer for salting and sugaring glassware.
You May Also Enjoy These Craft Cocktail Recipes…
- Chocolate Old Fashioned Cocktail
- Thanksgiving Margarita Cocktail
- Negroni Sour Cocktail
- Pineapple Vodka Martini
- Dark Rum Manhattan Cocktail
- Fresh Sage Gin Cocktail
- Gin Basil Smash Cocktail
- Chocolate Kahlua Espresso Martini Cocktail
- Lemon Drop Martini Limoncello Cocktail
- Blackberry Brandy Cocktail
How To Make A Dreamsicle Drink Recipe
Orange Dreamsicle Cocktail
- Shot Glass
- Cocktail Shaker
- Cocktail Glass
- 3 oz Orange Juice
- 1 oz Orange Liqueur
- 1 oz Vodka
- 0.5 oz Galliano Vanilla Liqueur
- Splash Soda
- 1 oz Heavy Cream
- Orange Wheel garnish
- Combine all of the ingredients in a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Shake for 30-40 seconds until cool.
- Pour into an ice filled cocktail glass and top with soda.
- Garnish with an orange wheel.
Some of the links in this story use affiliate links. This means that if you make a purchase through our site, Dobbernationloves will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps us to produce comprehensive content.
Save this story to Pinterest!