Looking for the best Niagara wine tours?
Our guide to Niagara wine tours shares tips on how to plan an independent visit to the best vineyards in Ontario. We also share a comprehensive list of Niagara’s top group tours and private tours.
Those looking to research Niagara wine tours will quickly realize they are spoilt for choice! You can enjoy Ontario’s favourite wine region on a fun and informative tour by bike, black British taxi, luxurious limo or helicopter.
Save this story to Pinterest!
History of Niagara Wine Tours
Chateau des Charmes is recognized for being Canada’s first commercial vinifera vineyard, with first plantings taking place in 1978. Before Niagara on the Lake’s winery boom, the region was famous for its cherry and peach farms.
Niagara wine tours have been offered in the region since the industries inception. Curious visitors could casually visit a winery for an educational tour of the vineyard, production facility, barrel room and tasting bar.
Today, many of the wineries in Niagara region offer daily organized tours and unique culinary experiences. These tours are led by specially trained winery staff. Guides educate visitors about their wineries history, unique production methods and finish by guiding the group through a tutored VQA wine tasting.
As the region’s wine tourism has grown, local operators have expanded their tours to meet demand. Looking to join a group tour or want to splurge on a private VIP experience?
Niagara’s winery tours offer unique experiences for all ages and interest levels. Visitors can cycle through Niagara, learn how to pair wines with delicious dishes or attend a fun Niagara wine festival, such as the popular Icewine Festival in the winter.
Many tours also include lunch or dinner at award winning Niagara winery restaurants.
Visiting Niagara Wineries
The Niagara on the Lake wineries are the closest vineyards to Niagara Falls. Ontario’s largest wine region stretches across historic Niagara on the Lake to Niagara Falls and St. Catherines.
Located near the American border in upstate New York, the Niagara on the Lake wineries can be reached from downtown Toronto on a day trip or weekend getaway.
For those driving from Toronto towards Niagara Falls on the QEW highway, Niagara on the Lake is located just past the Beamsville wineries en route to the US border.
Visitors to the Niagara region can organize local wine tours using a handy winery map, which we suggest booking during a fun festival.
You’ll also find many local operators offering Niagara wine tours from Toronto or Niagara Falls. Most tours visit several top vineyards in Niagara on the Lake or the Beamsville Bench.
Niagara on the Lake Hotels
If you’re in Toronto and looking for nearby vineyards to visit, Niagara on the Lake offers Ontario’s best wineries. While many wine lovers visit the region on a day trip, we suggest spending a few days to explore all that Niagara has to offer.
Accommodation options in Niagara on the Lake include luxury boutique hotels with spas and handful of chic bed and breakfasts.
Looking to enjoy a weekend getaway to sip through Niagara on the Lake’s best wineries? We suggest spending 2-3 nights in Niagara on the Lake wine country. A weekend will give you enough time to enjoy the village’s historic main street, gourmet restaurants, and award-winning wineries.
Check out our recommendations for Niagara on the Lake’s best accommodations including hotels, inns and bed & breakfasts.
We’ve included helpful links to the best hotel booking sites so you can compare prices and availability.
- Pillar & Post: Pillar & Post is a charming country inn offering guests luxurious suites, fine dining restaurant, gorgeous gardens and Niagara on the Lake’s largest spa.
HotelsCombined | Booking.com |TripAdvisor | Agoda
- 124 on Queen Hotel: this resort-style hotel sits perched over Niagara on the Lake’s main street. It offers unique villa suites as well as a boutique spa and award-winning restaurant.
Expedia | TripAdvisor | Hotels.com | Agoda | HotelsCombined | Booking.com
- Somerset Bed and Breakfast: is the only accommodation in Niagara on the Lake located on Lake Ontario. The properties 3 luxurious suites enjoy views of nearby Fort Niagara. Ranked as the best B&B in Niagara for a romantic getaway.
Expedia | TripAdvisor | HotelsCombined | Hotels.com
- The Charles Hotel: is our favourite boutique hotel in Niagara on the Lake. The historic property offers antique adorned suites, fine dining restaurant and a popular verandah that sits perched over North America’s oldest golf course.
Expedia | TripAdvisor | Hotels.com | HotelsCombined | Booking.com
Planning Niagara Wine Tours
Looking to plan your own independent Niagara wine tour? We suggest planning your visit around a Niagara Wine Festival.
Niagara Wine Festivals operate as a passport program. Guests purchase a passport for a flat fee and can then visit a number of participating wineries to enjoy wine and food pairing. Our favourite is Taste the Season Wine Festival, which takes place in the Fall.
We love Niagara’s wine festivals as they encourage visitors to explore many vineyards. The program is also flexible, so you can visit wineries at any time without making a booking in advance.
While organizing your own Niagara wine tour offers flexibility, it’s important to ensure you have a designated driver.
You May Also Enjoy Reading…
- Niagara Breweries: Best Craft Beer From Falls to Fort
- Best Niagara on the Lake Wineries
- Best Niagara on the Lake Restaurants
- Best Niagara Winery Restaurants
- Best Niagara Wine Festivals
- Best Niagara on the Lake Hotels & Resorts
- Best Niagara on the Lake Spas
- Beamsville Wineries: Best Vineyards Near Toronto
- Things to Do On a Winter Weekend in Niagara on the Lake
- 5 Wineries to Cycle and Sip in Niagara on the Lake
- Afternoon Tea at the Prince of Wales Hotel in Niagara
- Best Wineries in Prince Edward County
Best Niagara Winery Tours
Many of the vineyards in Niagara offer daily group and private tours, hosted by knowledgable staff. The following list features the best winery tours between Niagara on the Lake and Beamsville Bench.
Book your tour in advance if you’re looking for a private tour or are visiting during the busy summer seaon.
- Chateau des Charmes: Niagara on the Lake’s historic French chateau offers several tours including a special Four at Four wine and food pairing.
- Inniskillin Winery: offers excellent Icewine tours as well as a unique seasonal culinary experience.
- Jackson-Triggs Winery: offers a essentials tour for beginners as well as a luxurious Proposal Experience for those looking to organize an unforgettable and romantic “I do.”
- Konzelmann Estates Winery: offers a VIP public tour, Estate Cellar Experience and unique wine and junk food tasting.
- Peller Estates Winery: offers the most comprehensive Niagara wine tour program. It’s signature is dubbed the Greatest Winery Tour and features a stop at its chilly igloo-like Icewine Lounge. Guests can also book a cheese and wine tasting as well as an Ultimate Food and Wine Experience featuring premium food pairings by Chef Jason Parsons.
- Ravine Vineyards: is one of Niagara on the Lake’s most celebrated wineries and offers several tour experiences. Our favourite is Calling All Canines, which encourages wine lovers with a pooch to enjoy a hike of the property followed by a wine tasting. The do-good program donates $5 of every ticket to the local SPCA.
- Trius Winery: offers a unique wine tour featuring creative art installations that has been dubbed “Niagara’s most Instagram-able experience.” The Black Glass Challenge also offers a fun and educational way for guests to test their sensory abilities.
- Two Sisters Vineyards: offers several wine tours but our favourite is the Twilight Tour. The evening experience offers a stroll in the vineyards followed by an Italian-inspired picnic.
- Wayne Gretzky Estates: Thanks to the hockey legends celebrity, this winery is the most touristy in town. The winery uniquely features a distillery, outdoor patio and ice rink in winter. Educational tours at Wayne Gretzky Estates offer visitors an opportunity to taste quality wine, whisky and beer.
- The Lakeview Wine Co: offers several tours including a unique Wine Cocktail Mixology class.
- Rosewood Estates Winery: this Beamsville Bench vineyard offers a special Bee Experience for those looking to see how honey is harvested.
- Vineland Estates Winery: this Beamsville winery offers sparkling wine tours and fun Girls Day Out experience, featuring wine tasting, wine cocktail and chocolate pairing.
Book the Best Niagara Winery Tours
If you’re keen to learn about the winemaking process or enjoy a special VIP experience, we suggest booking one of these popular Niagara wine tours.
Booking a Niagara wine tour with friends means everyone in your group can enjoy wine tasting throughout the day. If you’re celebrating a bachelorette or weekend getaway with the girls, your group can rely on a local driver who will navigate the roads safely so you can sit back and relax.
- Niagara Falls Day Tour: this Niagara Falls day tour features a cruise, lunch and “journey behind the falls.”
- Niagara Falls Helicopter Tour: enjoy an unforgettable flight over Niagara Falls by helicopter.
- Niagara on the Lake Winery Tour: enjoy a private tasting tour of Niagara wine region featuring tastings and lunch in historic Niagara-on-the-Lake.
- Niagara on the Lake Wine Tour and Icewine Lounge: this 6 hour tour visits a local chocolate factory, award-winning wineries and special stop to Peller Estates 10 Below Icewine Lounge.
- Niagara Wine, Cider and Brewery Tour: this 5 hour tour showcases Niagara’s best liquids in style. Travel in a Mercedes Benz to sample local wine, cider and craft beer.
- Niagara on the Lake Foodie Tour: this 3 hour small group tour showcases Niagara’s multicultural culinary flare.
- Vine and Dine Bicycle Wine Tour: this 5 hour Niagara wine tour by bike stop at 4 award winning wineries at a relaxed pace. Enjoy a break half way for a gourmet lunch.
- Private Wine and Chocolate Tour: this private tour accommodates up to 6 people and stops at 9 Niagara on the Lake wineries and a chocolate factory.
- Niagara on the Lake English Cab Tour: this 6 hour Niagara on the Lake wine tour is offered in an authentic black British taxi. Perfect option for a romantic couple, this private tour includes wine tastings and fine dining dinner.
- Indoor Baby Goat Yoga and Cider Tasting: for a truly quirky experience, Small Talk Vineyards offers goat yoga followed by a cider tasting.
- 20 Valley Wine Tour in Beamsville: visit the best wineries in Beamsville on this 6 hour tour.
Review Our Travel Checklist When Planning Your Next Adventure!
Find the best flights on Skyscanner
Never travel without insurance! We suggest World Nomads comprehensive coverage as it includes over 250 adventure activities such as scuba diving, bungee jumping and surfing.
If you’re planning a road trip make sure to compare the best local car rental options.
Looking to book a tour or VIP experience on holiday? Book the best local tours on Viator.
Be sure to check your travel destinations electrical plug requirements in advance. If you travel often be sure to purchase a multi-region adaptor.
Whether you’re marching through a city or exploring a rugged rural landscape, it’s important to ensure you’re traveling with comfortable footwear. We suggest these comfortable walking shoes for urban adventures or these waterproof hiking boots when embarking on a hike holiday.
Capture your holiday on a quality camera. We suggest the pocket-sized Canon Powershot G7 or professional SLR we shoot with Canon EOS 6D.
Some of the links in this story use affiliate links. This means that if you book through our site, Dobbernationloves will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps us to produce comprehensive content.