Looking to make an easy homemade Moscow Mule with Rum?
Our simple Rum Mule recipe is a fun and refreshing cocktail featuring a spicy finish thanks to ginger beer.
This Rum Moscow Mule drink features premium rum, fresh mint, lime juice, and non-alcoholic Caribbean-style ginger beer.
Save this story to Pinterest!
What Is A Moscow Mule With Rum?
A Moscow Mule is a cocktail made with vodka, ginger beer and lime juice, garnished with a slice, wedge or wheel of lime and a sprig of mint.
The drink is a type of buck and is sometimes called a vodka buck. The Moscow mule is popularly served in a copper mug, which takes on the cold temperature of the liquid.
A Moscow Mule with Rum is a creative take on the classic cocktail, substituting vodka for rum.
You May Also Enjoy These Rum Cocktail Recipes…
- Rhubarb Mojito Cocktail
- Aged Dark Rum Mojito Cocktail
- Classic Bacardi Mojito Cocktail
- Fresh Strawberry Mojito Cocktail
- Fresh Pineapple Mojito Cocktail
- Blueberry Blue Mojito Cocktail
- Passion Fruit Mojito Cocktail
- Frozen Rum Raspberry Daiquiri Cocktail
- Brunch Rum and Orange Juice Cocktail
- Christmas Vegan Eggnog Aquafaba Cocktail
Difference Between Rum Mule and Dark & Stormy Cocktail
So what’s the difference between a Dark & Stormy and Rum Moscow Mule?
The two drink recipes are almost exactly the same…
The Dark & Stormy cocktail was developed in Bermuda and is traditionally made with fresh lime juice, ginger beer and a local rum called Gosling’s Black Seal Rum. The drink is garnished with a lime wheel, wedge or slice and sprig of fresh mint.
A Rum Mule is a more generic cocktail that includes all of the same ingredients as a Dark & Stormy but does not have to be made with Gosling’s Rum from Bermuda. A Moscow Mule with Rum allows you to be more creative at the bar, using a variety of bottles based on your flavour preferences.
You can make a Spiced Rum Mule, Malibu Rum Mule, White Rum Mule or Aged Rum Mule. The options are endless!
What Does Ginger Beer Taste Like?
If you’ve never tasted ginger beer before you may be curious to what a Rum Mule tastes like.
There are two kinds of ginger beer, British-style alcoholic ginger beer (like Crabbies Ginger Beer) and Caribbean-style non-alcoholic ginger beer. A rum moscow mule uses the latter.
Caribbean Ginger Beer is very bubbly with a strong ginger flavour and spicy finish. It is not the same as ginger ale. You can’t substitute the ingredients.
Travel to Taste the World’s Best Rum
There’s no better way to declare yourself a Rum Mule expert then by traveling the world to visit the best rum distilleries.
The world’s best rums are produced in the Caribbean and Latin America and can be divided into 3 styles based on the local language:
- English-Speaking: areas are known for darker rums with a fuller taste that retains a greater amount of molasses flavour and include Bahamas, Antigua, Trinidad and Tobago, Grenada, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent & the Grenadines.
- French-Speaking: areas are best known for their agricultural rums, produced exclusively from sugar cane juice and include Haiti, Guadeloupe and Martinique.
- Spanish-Speaking: areas of the former Spanish Empire traditional produce añejo rums that are smooth in taste and include Colombia, Cuba, the Dominican Republic, Guatemala, Nicaragua, Panama, the Philippines, Puerto Rico and Venezuela.
We’ve had the opportunity to visit rum distilleries on a road trip of Jamaica, on a tour of Havana and a museum experience in Puerto Rico with Bacardi.
Most rum distillery tours allow guests to see the raw sugar cane arrive into the production area, offer an explanation on the distilling process and finish with a tutored tasting. Some distilleries even have a cocktail bar where you can sip classic rum drinks like a daiquiri or Rum Moscow Mule.
Best Selling Rum
Here are some of the world’s best selling rum brands, perfect for muddling into a refreshing Moscow Mule with Rum:
- Havana Club: is Cuba’s most famous rum brand, originally created in 1934. If you’re visiting Havana on holiday we highly suggest taking the Havana Club tour to learn more about the history of rum production on the island and evolution of the mojito.
- Bacardi: the world’s best selling rum was founded in 1862 in Cuba. The company moved to Puerto Rico due to the revolution and today tourists can visit the Cathedral of Rum in San Juan for the ultimate mojito experience.
- Appleton Estates: is a sugar estate and distillery in Jamaica that has been handcrafting rums since 1749. They produce a wide variety of aged rums, as well as standard gold and white rums.
- Captain Morgan: is a brand of flavoured rums named after the 17th-century Welsh privateer of the Caribbean, Sir Henry Morgan.
- Mount Gay: is a rum produced in Barbados, and dates back to 1703, making it the world’s oldest comercial rum distillery.
- Goslings: is a Bermuda-based brand famous for blending and distributing quality rum. Goslings Rum is famously the main ingredient in the Dark & Stormy cocktail.
- The Kraken: is a Caribbean black spiced rum named after the mythical squid-like sea monster. The premium rum product is produced in Trinidad and Tobago.
- Diplomatico: is a premium rum produced in the Andes Mountains in Venezuela.
- Lamb’s: first launched in 1849 and today is made with rums produced in Trinidad and Tobago and Guyana.
- El Dorado: is a premium rum produced in Guyana.
Rum Moscow Mule Cocktail Recipe Ingredients
This homemade Rum Mule cocktail recipe is made with fresh and quality ingredients:
- Rum: we suggest using Bacardi Superior, Captain Morgan or Diplomatico Rum.
- Ginger Beer: we suggest using The Great Jamaican Ginger Beer Company or Fever Tree Ginger Beer.
- Lime Juice: only use freshly squeezed lime juice. You can taste the difference when someone incorrectly muddles cocktails with store bought citrus juice.
- Mint Leaves: you can purchase mint or harvest your own in an indoor edible garden.
- Lime: garnish with a lime wedge, slice or wheel.
Rum Mule Cocktail Recipe Tips
This Rum Mule recipe is easy to make at home, ready to serve in under 10 minutes.
We love serving the refreshing drink on hot days in the summer at family barbecues, cottage happy hour and on a sun-soaked patio.
Our Rum Moscow Mule recipe below is listed for one person. If you’re hosting a large gathering feel free to multiply the ingredients by the number of guests and muddle the drink in a punch bowl or jug rather than a cocktail shaker.
Serve the drink in a rocks glass or copper mug with whole ice cubes or crushed ice.
Best Bartender Tools & Cocktail Equipment
Before hosting a swanky Rum Mule cocktail party you’ll need to ensure you have the best bartender tools and cocktail equipment.
- Cocktail Kit: cocktail kits are the perfect gift for newbie mixology fans as they include basic bartender tools like a jigger, shaker and spoon.
- Cocktail Shaker: a bartender’s best friend. Purchase a premium cocktail shaker to muddle or shake up your favourite pink gin cocktails.
- Cocktail Glassware: make sure your bar is stocked with a selection of unique glassware to show off your favourite cocktail creations.
- Hawthorne Strainer: this unique strainer features tightly wound coils and perforated holes. It keeps ice and other large ingredients like lime wedges in your cocktail shaker rather than in the glass.
- Bar Spoons: slender and long bar spoons are a must-have when stirring drinks.
- Bottle Opener: easily open bottles of beer or cider with the flick of your wrist or purchase a corkscrew for fine wine.
- Pouring Spout: once you’ve opened a new bottle of gin insert these affordable pourers to make cocktail assembly a breeze.
- Cutting Board: purchase a petite cutting board for your bar to slice garnishes or citrus wedges like lime, orange, lemon or grapefruit.
- Ice Bucket: chill bottles of gin quickly in an ice bucket or keep by the bar when muddling gin mixers into cool creations.
- Ice Crusher: fans of the Mint Julep love an ice crusher.
- Ice Cube Kit: we suggest purchasing a selection of ice cube trays. Silicone styles are our favourite as they’re easy to clean and are available in various shapes and sizes.
- Jigger: use a jigger to accurately measure spirits, juices, syrups and shrubs.
- Juicer: invest in an electronic juicer or buy an affordable hand-held to easily juice fresh citrus like lemons and limes.
- Muddler: fans of the Mojito love a sturdy muddler to mix mint and lime. Muddler’s are handy for any cocktail featuring ingredients that need a pounding like fresh herbs or citrus wedges.
- Citrus Peeler & Zester: adorn your craft cocktails with a thick citrus peel or finer ribbons of lime or lemon zest.
- Rimmer: Bloody Mary and Caesar lovers should outfit their bar with a handy rimmer for salting and sugaring glassware.
How To Make A Moscow Mule with Rum
Rum Moscow Mule
- Shot Glass
- Copper Mug or Cocktail Glass
- 2 oz Rum
- 1/2 oz Lime Juice
- 4 oz Ginger Beer
- Fresh Mint Sprig garnish
- Lime Wheel Garnish garnish
- In a copper mug or cocktail glass, pour in the rum, lime juice and ginger beer.
- Add ice and garnish with a sprig of fresh mint and lime wheel or wedge.
Some of the links in this story use affiliate links. This means that if you make a purchase through our site, Dobbernationloves will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps us to produce comprehensive content.
Save this story to Pinterest!