It was a Monday when I found myself zooming down University Avenue on a sunny Spring afternoon with the wind in my hair and smug mug. Hopping off my bike and into the Shangri-La Hotel’s Lobby Lounge I immediately spotted my tea date. Lisa Ng from The Hip and Urban Girls Guide was dressed in a bright yellow dress and jumped out of her seat to give me a hug.
On my last visit to The Shangri-La Toronto I had good fun at The Bar where I sampled their very best sips and nibbles. This time around Lisa and I would be indulging in their Afternoon Tea menu, one of Toronto’s newest and unique offerings in the genre.
The Lobby Lounge offers a staggering selection of 68 premium teas sourced from around the globe. I was most impressed by the fact that the Shang’s program offers different types of tea sets and ceramics depending on which tea is ordered. Teas range from a reasonable $7.50 per pot to $70.00 for the more exotic varieties (perfect for when you are in the mood to treat yourself). The experience here is also an educational one as all servers are level one certified tea specialists. Two staff members are actually currently training to become tea sommeliers through the Tea Association of Canada.
Join Dobbernationloves founder Andrew Dobson in the kitchen by signing up for a fun virtual cooking class! Classes begin with a cocktail that you can sip while preparing 2-3 recipes that are curated around a unique culinary theme. Check out our current Cooking Class Schedule!
We found ourselves seated in the centre of the Lobby Lounge directly in front of a booming fireplace where we would spend the next two hours sipping on three tea varieties (Royal Earl Grey, Vanilla Rooibos and Genmaicha) while nibbling on dainty sandwiches, pastries and a massive raisin scone. We chatted travel, blogging, social media and our love for indulging in the everyday. Skipping out back onto the street in the warm sun I realize there really is no better therapy than one that is lovingly steeped.
Shangri-La Hotel Toronto High Tea Menu
Smoked Salmon and Cucumber
herb creme fraiche on rye
fresh herbs on country white
Ham and Brie
apple on marble rye
Chicken with Grainy Mustard
mayonnaise on whole wheat
Warm Raisin Scone
devonshire clotted cream, house made berry preserve
Selection of Seasonal Inspired Pastries
We’ve traveled around the world in search of the best high tea.
- High Tea at Balmoral Hotel in Edinburgh
- High Tea at Taj Mahal Palace in Mumbai
- High Tea at Cliff House Hotel in Ireland
- High Tea at Fairmont Chateau Laurier in Ottawa
- High Tea at Prince of Wales in Niagara on the Lake
- High Tea at Langham Hotel in Chicago
- High Tea at Four Seasons Resort in Koh Samui
- High Tea at Langdon Hall in Cambridge
- High Tea at Four Seasons Hotel Hampshire in England
- High Tea at Ritz-Carlton Hotel in Hong Kong
- High Tea at The Plaza Hotel in New York City
- High Tea at The Strand Hotel in Yangon
- High Tea at St Regis Resort in Bali
- High Tea at Urban Tea Merchant in Vancouver
- High Tea at The Bermuda Perfumery
- Best Romantic High Tea in Downtown Toronto