Built in 1903 by Toronto’s wealthiest developer at the time, George Gooderham, The King Edward Hotel set a standard for luxury hotels in Toronto and across Canada. Celebrating its 110th Anniversary this year, it seemed like the perfect spot to take mom for Mothers Day Afternoon Tea.
We were seated at a table by the fireplace directly under a massive portrait of King Eddy in the lobby just outside of Victoria’s Restaurant. It was lovely to see the space filled with families celebrating motherhood. One large table featured some twenty or so woman wearing fancy hats, a real show stopper!
Over the course of the next hour mom and I relaxed over white linen and dainty tea cups. I enjoyed a pot of the hotel’s signature King Edward blend with a whisper of milk. We eagerly slathered our scones with cream and strawberry preserves and had to ration the fresh lemon curd as we are both adamant admirers of the tart creamy decadence of it all.
Petite sandwiches were a perfect pick me up mid day and the sweet plate featured a lovely flavour profile with almond, rhubarb, chocolate and lemon making appearances. Afternoon Tea at The King Eddy is very much an event, a celebration of motherhood, indulgence and essential mid day nourishment for the peckish.
Mother’s Day Tea Includes:
Selection of Loose Leaf Teas
Berries in Suspended in Blush Wine Jelly
curried coronation chicken with mango chutney
medium rare beef with stilton butter and port jelly
ontario maple and grain mustard confit of salmon with tender leeks
chopped egg with lemon and dill
wild mushroom with herbed goat cheese
Fresh Based Currant and Cream Scones
devon cream, strawberry preserve, house made lemon curd
pastel battenburg cake
strawberry rhubarb eton mess
tulip of chocolate espresso cream
lemon and lady grey infused madeleine
We’ve traveled around the world in search of the best high tea.
- High Tea at Balmoral Hotel in Edinburgh
- High Tea at Taj Mahal Palace in Mumbai
- High Tea at Cliff House Hotel in Ireland
- High Tea at Fairmont Chateau Laurier in Ottawa
- High Tea at Prince of Wales in Niagara on the Lake
- High Tea at Langham Hotel in Chicago
- High Tea at Four Seasons Resort in Koh Samui
- High Tea at Langdon Hall in Cambridge
- High Tea at Four Seasons Hotel Hampshire in England
- High Tea at Ritz-Carlton Hotel in Hong Kong
- High Tea at The Plaza Hotel in New York City
- High Tea at The Strand Hotel in Yangon
- High Tea at St Regis Resort in Bali
- High Tea at Urban Tea Merchant in Vancouver
- High Tea at The Bermuda Perfumery
- Best Romantic High Tea in Downtown Toronto