The Golden Dream Cocktail is a classic drink recipe popularized in Miami, Florida in the 1960s.
It is typically served as an aperitif “after dinner drink” and is one of our favourite creamy citrus dessert cocktails.
Make our easy Golden Dream Cocktail recipe by shaking together Cointreau, Galliano L’Autentico Liqueur, cream and freshly squeezed orange juice.
Save this story to Pinterest!
What Is A Golden Dream Cocktail?
The Golden Dream Cocktail is an IBA official drink made with Galliano and Cointreau. It is classified as an after dinner drink.
The cocktail was dedicated to actress Joan Crawford and became quite popular at the end of the 1960s on the east coast of the United States.
We love to serve it as a dessert drink as it tastes similar to a Creamsicle. All you need is Cointreau, Galliano L’Autentico Liqueur, cream and freshly squeezed orange juice.
What Is Galliano Liqueur?
Liquore Galliano L’Autentico, known more commonly as Galliano, is a sweet herbal liqueur produced in Italy. It was created in 1896 by Tuscan distiller and brandy producer Arturo Vaccari and named after Giuseppe Galliano, an Italian officer of the Royal Italian Army of the First Italo-Ethiopian War
Galliano is sweet with vanilla-anise flavour and subtle citrus and woodsy herbal undernotes. The vanilla top note differentiates Galliano from other anise-flavoured liqueurs such as anisette, ouzo, sambuca, and Pernod.
Galliano is used both as a digestif and as an ingredient for cocktails, notably the Harvey Wallbanger, Yellow Bird, Golden Cadillac, and Golden Dream.
Galliano gives the Golden Dream Cocktail a lovely yellow colour and vanilla flavour.
What Is Cointreau Liqueur?
Cointreau is an orange-flavoured triple sec liqueur produced in Saint-Barthélemy-d’Anjou, France. It is consumed as an apéritif and digestif, and is a component of several well-known craft cocktails like the margarita.
It was originally called Curaçao Blanco Triple Sec. Despite the orange bottle, Cointreau is colourless.
Cointreau Distillery was set up in 1849 by Adolphe Cointreau, a confectioner, and his brother Edouard-Jean Cointreau. Their first success was with the cherry liqueur Guignolet, but they also found success when they blended sweet and bitter orange peels and pure alcohol from sugar beets.
The first bottles of Cointreau were sold in 1875. Today, an estimated 13 million bottles are sold each year, in more than 150 countries.
Cointreau gives the Golden Dream cocktail a sweet orange flavour.
Golden Dream Cocktail Ingredients
Our tasty Golden Dream Cocktail recipe is made with just 4 ingredients.
- Cointreau: a French orange-flavoured liqueur.
- Galliano: an Italian anise and vanilla flavoured liqueur.
- Cream: we suggest using 18% table cream for the perfect creamy mouthfeel.
- Orange Juice: only used freshly squeezed orange juice!
Golden Dream Cocktail Recipe Tips
This easy Golden Dream Cocktail recipe is easy to make at home, ready to serve in under 5 minutes!
We love serving this creamy orange dessert cocktail as an after dinner drink at special celebrations. It’s perfect for those who love Creamsicles as it has a similar vanilla ice cream and fresh orange flavour profile.
Since the drink incorporates freshly squeezed orange juice it’s also a delightful brunch cocktail. If you’re feeling decadent, serve the drink in a martini glass with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and tiny spoon.
Our Golden Dream Cocktail recipe serves one person. If you’re hosting a large gathering feel free to multiply the ingredients by the number of guests and muddle the drink in a punch bowl or jug.
Depending on your preference, you can stir or shake the ingredients. Just ensure the liquid is ice cold, and that you strain the ice when pouring into the cocktail glasses.
If you find the drink is too strong, feel free to add more orange juice to make it more refreshing.
Best Bartender Tools & Cocktail Equipment
Before hosting a swanky Golden Dream Cocktail soiree you’ll need to ensure you have the best bartender tools and cocktail equipment.
- Cocktail Kit: cocktail kits are the perfect gift for newbie mixology fans as they include basic bartender tools like a jigger, shaker and spoon.
- Cocktail Shaker: a bartender’s best friend. Purchase a premium cocktail shaker to muddle or shake up your favourite pink gin cocktails.
- Cocktail Glassware: make sure your bar is stocked with a selection of unique glassware to show off your favourite cocktail creations.
- Hawthorne Strainer: this unique strainer features tightly wound coils and perforated holes. It keeps ice and other large ingredients like lime wedges in your cocktail shaker rather than in the glass.
- Bar Spoons: slender and long bar spoons are a must-have when stirring drinks.
- Bottle Opener: easily open bottles of beer or cider with the flick of your wrist or purchase a corkscrew for fine wine.
- Pouring Spout: once you’ve opened a new bottle of gin insert these affordable pourers to make cocktail assembly a breeze.
- Cutting Board: purchase a petite cutting board for your bar to slice garnishes or citrus wedges like lime, orange, lemon or grapefruit.
- Ice Bucket: chill bottles of gin quickly in an ice bucket or keep by the bar when muddling gin mixers into cool creations.
- Ice Crusher: fans of the Mint Julep love an ice crusher.
- Ice Cube Kit: we suggest purchasing a selection of ice cube trays. Silicone styles are our favourite as they’re easy to clean and are available in various shapes and sizes.
- Jigger: use a jigger to accurately measure spirits, juices, syrups and shrubs.
- Juicer: invest in an electronic juicer or buy an affordable hand-held to easily juice fresh citrus like lemons and limes.
- Muddler: fans of the Mojito love a sturdy muddler to mix mint and lime. Muddler’s are handy for any cocktail featuring ingredients that need a pounding like fresh herbs or citrus wedges.
- Citrus Peeler & Zester: adorn your craft cocktails with a thick citrus peel or finer ribbons of lime or lemon zest.
- Rimmer: Bloody Mary and Caesar lovers should outfit their bar with a handy rimmer for salting and sugaring glassware.
You May Also Enjoy These Craft Cocktail Recipes…
- Chocolate Old Fashioned Cocktail
- Thanksgiving Margarita Cocktail
- Negroni Sour Cocktail
- Pineapple Vodka Martini
- Dark Rum Manhattan Cocktail
- Fresh Sage Gin Cocktail
- Gin Basil Smash Cocktail
- Chocolate Kahlua Espresso Martini Cocktail
- Lemon Drop Martini Limoncello Cocktail
- Blackberry Brandy Cocktail
How To Make A Classic Golden Dream Cocktail
Golden Dream Cocktail
- Shot Glass
- Cocktail Shaker
- 1 oz Galliano Vanilla Liqueur
- 1 oz Orange Liqueur
- 1 oz Orange Juice
- 3/4 oz Heavy Cream
- Add all ingredients to a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Shake vigorously for 30-40 seconds until chilled.
- Strain into an ice-filled cocktail glass.
Some of the links in this story use affiliate links. This means that if you make a purchase through our site, Dobbernationloves will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps us to produce comprehensive content.
Save this story to Pinterest!