Looking to learn how to make the best Summer Whiskey Cocktail recipe?
Our easy homemade Summer Whiskey Cocktail recipe is a family favourite we like to serve in July and August as a fresh berry lemonade.
Our easy Summer Whiskey Cocktail recipe features premium whiskey, fresh berries, lemon juice and homemade strawberry syrup.
Save this story to Pinterest!
Travel The World to Taste Whiskey
There’s no better way to familiarize yourself with the best Summer Whiskey Cocktail recipe then by planning a vacation to visit the world’s best whiskey distilleries.
Some of the world’s most famous whiskey/whisky distilleries can be found in the United Kingdom and Ireland. The booming whiskey trend has also produced a high demand for premium whiskey produced by distilleries in Canada and America.
In Scotland we enjoyed a scenic road trip to the Isle of Islay, which is best known for its famous Islay Scotch whisky distilleries. If you’re looking to experience the best things to do on the Isle of Islay visit award-winning distilleries like Bruichladdich, Laphroaig, Lagavulin, Ardbeg and Bowmore.
Fly over to Ireland and you’ll find plenty of fine whiskey produced by famous distilleries like Jamesons and Bushmills. There’s no better way to educate yourself about Irish Whiskey then by taking a tour of Jameson Distillery near Cork and Bushmills along the Causeway Coast. They’re both worth a day trip from Dublin.
Looking to plan the ultimate road trip of Canada to discover the best Canadian whisky?
Types of Whiskey
The wonderful world of whisky can be confusing for newbies as there is a lot more variety compared to vodka and gin.
Whisky is a type of distilled alcoholic beverage made from fermented grain mash or by distilling beer. Various grains are used for different varieties, including barley, corn, rye, and wheat. Whisky is typically aged in wooden casks, generally made of charred white oak.
The best way to familiarize yourself with whiskey and find a new favourite is by sipping as many varieties as you can. You’ll find single malt whiskies, blended whiskies, single pot still whiskey and and everything in between.
Our Summer Whiskey Cocktail recipe features premium whiskey and the flavour profile of the cocktail can be adjusted to suit your tastes based on whichever bottle you chose. Add a Bourbon to your cocktail shaker and you’ll enjoy a sweeter flavour. Or grab a bottle of Islay Scotch to experience peaty undertones.
- Scotch: is made in Scotland with either malt or grain. The spirit must age in an oak barrel for at least three years. Many of the top Scotch bottles are revered for their peaty character. Popular Scotch brands include Johnnie Walker, Ballantine’s and Ardbeg.
- Irish Whiskey: has a smoother flavor than other types of whiskey. It’s made from a mash of malt, can only be distilled using water and caramel coloring, and must be distilled in wooden casks for at least three years. Popular Irish whiskey brands include Jamesons, Bushmills and Green Spot.
- Bourbon: An American-style whiskey, bourbon is made from corn. In fact, to be called bourbon whiskey, the spirit needs to be made from at least 51% corn, aged in a new oak barrel and produced in America. It has no minimum aging period and needs to be bottled at 80 proof or more. Popular Bourbon brands include Ezra Brooks, Wild Turkey and Maker’s Mark.
- Canadian Whisky: must be barrel-aged for at least three years. It’s lighter and smoother than other types of whiskey because it contains a high percentage of corn. You will find that most Canadian whiskies are made from corn and rye, but can also include wheat and barley. Popular Canadian whisky brands include Canadian Club, JP Wiser’s and Wayne Gretzky Estates.
Homemade Summer Whiskey Cocktail Recipe
Whenever my family hosts a summer barbecue we always serve this homemade Berry Lemonade Summer Whiskey Cocktail. You can easily mix an individual portion in a cocktail shaker, or if you’re serving a crowd, use a large spoon to stir the ingredients together in a punch bowl.
Making homemade strawberry syrup is very easy. Simply place sliced fresh strawberries in a saucepan with white sugar and water and after 15 minutes strain the cooked fruit through a fine sieve. You can now use the flavoured simple syrup in a summer whiskey cocktail or punch bowl.
We suggest using fresh berries like strawberries, raspberries, blueberries and blackberries as they are in season during the hot summer months. If you are preparing a Summer Whiskey Cocktail outside of July and August (if you dream of summer sun in the middle of winter we can relate!) feel free to use frozen berries.
We’ve tested this Summer Whiskey Cocktail recipe many times and find whiskey offers the best pairing. You can also substitute whiskey for rum, vodka, or gin if that’s the spirit you prefer.
Best Bartender Tools & Cocktail Equipment
Before hosting a swanky Summer Whiskey Cocktail soiree you’ll need to ensure you have the best bartender tools and cocktail equipment.
- Cocktail Kit: cocktail kits are the perfect gift for newbie mixology fans as they include basic bartender tools like a jigger, shaker and spoon.
- Cocktail Shaker: a bartenders best friend. Purchase a premium cocktail shaker to muddle or shake up your favourite pink gin cocktails.
- Cocktail Glassware: make sure your bar is stocked with a selection of unique glassware to show off your favourite cocktail creations.
- Hawthorne Strainer: this unique strainer features tightly wound coils and perforated holes. It keeps ice and other large ingredients like lime wedges in your cocktail shaker rather than in the glass.
- Bar Spoons: slender and long bar spoons are a must-have when stirring drinks.
- Bottle Opener: easily open bottles of beer or cider with the flick of your wrist or purchase a corkscrew for fine wine.
- Pouring Spout: once you’ve opened a new bottle of gin insert these affordable pourers to make cocktail assembly a breeze.
- Cutting Board: purchase a petite cutting board for your bar to slice garnishes or citrus wedges like lime, orange, lemon or grapefruit.
- Ice Bucket: chill bottles of gin quickly in an ice bucket or keep by the bar when muddling gin mixers into cool creations.
- Ice Crusher: fans of the Mint Julep love an ice crusher.
- Ice Cube Kit: we suggest purchasing a selection of ice cube trays. Silicone styles are our favourite as they’re easy to clean and are available in various shapes and sizes.
- Jigger: use a jigger to accurately measure spirits, juices, syrups and shrubs.
- Juicer: invest in an electronic juicer or buy an affordable hand-held to easily juice fresh citrus like lemons and limes.
- Muddler: fans of the Mojito love a sturdy muddler to mix mint and lime. Muddler’s are handy for any cocktail featuring ingredients that need a pounding like fresh herbs or citrus wedges.
- Citrus Peeler & Zester: adorn your craft cocktails with a thick citrus peel or finer ribbons of lime or lemon zest.
- Rimmer: Bloody Mary and Caesar lovers should outfit their bar with a handy rimmer for salting and sugaring glassware.
Summer Whiskey Cocktail Ingredients
Our easy Summer Whiskey Cocktail recipe is made with the best fresh ingredients:
- Whiskey: we tested this recipe with Ezra Brooks Bourbon, Teeling Irish Whiskey and Ardbeg Scotch.
- Citrus Juice: we use lemon juice in this recipe but you could also use fresh lime juice.
- Berries: we used fresh summer berries in this recipe like raspberries, strawberries, blueberries and blackberries. You can add additional summer fruits like juicy peaches or cherries to this recipe. Feel free to get creative with whatever is fresh at your locals farmers market.
- Simple Syrup: we’ve made our own homemade strawberry syrup in this summer cocktail recipe but you could also prepare a syrup with other berries like raspberry or blueberry if you prefer. If you want to add a little zing feel free to substitute berry syrup for Organic Ginger Syrup by The Ginger People.
- Garnish: adorn the glass with a fresh strawberry and lemon slice.
Summer Whiskey Cocktail Tips
This Summer Whiskey Cocktail is easy to make at home, ready to serve in under 20 minutes.
The recipe serves 4 people. If you’re hosting a large gathering feel free to multiply the ingredients by the number of guests and muddle the drink in a punch bowl or jug rather than a cocktail shaker.
You can prepare the Summer Whiskey Punch 24 hours in advance to save time on the day you’re hosting your dinner party. Just store the drink in a jug in your fridge to keep it cool and add the ice just before serving. You’ll find the berries continue to impart their flavour in the punch over time.
You May Also Enjoy Reading…
- Baileys Iced Coffee Cocktail
- Aperol Gin Cocktail Drink Recipe
- Gin and Cranberry Juice Cocktail Drink Recipe
- Pomegranate Gin Fizz Cocktail Drink Recipe
- Irish Whiskey Sour Drink Cocktail Recipe
- Healthy Cucumber Gin and Tonic Cocktail Recipe
- Bushmills Cocktail: Irish Whiskey and Apple Juice Recipe
- Best Gin Mixers For Easy Homemade Cocktail Drinks
- Best Recipes For Pretty Pink Gin Cocktails
- Best Gay Cocktail Drinks To Enjoy During Pride
- Procreate Tutorial: How To Draw A Bottle
- Best Cocktail Bars in Savannah
- Best Ottawa Cocktail Bars
- Best Cocktail Bars in Rochester
- Best Cocktails Bars in Calgary
- Best Luxury Hotel Cocktail Bars in Hong Kong
- Best Bali Bars for Cocktail Lovers
- 5 Luxury Hotel Cocktail Bars in Manhattan
How To Make The Best Summer Whiskey Cocktail
Berry Lemonade Summer Whiskey Cocktail
- Wooden spoon or spatula
- Cocktail Shaker
- Shot Glass
- 1 cup Strawberries sliced
- 1/2 cup White Sugar
- 1/4 cup Water
Summer Whiskey Cocktail
- 1/3 cup Strawberry Syrup
- 1 cup Sliced Berries (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, blackberrie) sliced
- 2/3 cup Whiskey
- 2/3 cup Lemon Juice
- Strawberry and Lemon Slice Garnish
- Stir the strawberries, sugar, and water in a small saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until strawberries have softened and sugar has dissolved, about 15 minutes. Remove saucepan from the heat and let it cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Strain syrup into a measuring cup through a mesh strainer to remove the strawberry pulp.
Summer Whiskey Cocktail
- In an ice-filled cocktail shaker, combine strawberry syrup, sliced berries, whiskey, and lemon juice. Shake vigorously for 30-45 seconds until well combined.
- Pour whiskey lemonade over ice into cocktail glasses. Garnish with fresh strawberries and lemon slice.
Some of the links in this story use affiliate links. This means that if you make a purchase through our site, Dobbernationloves will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps us to produce comprehensive content.
Save this story to Pinterest!