I’m a pasta lover through and through. And while I have a penchant for noodles drenched in buttery cream and topped with a mountain of cheese, I’m always keen to discover new delicious ways to reimagine my favourite dishes in a more healthful way.
Fettuccini Alfredo was one of my go to’s when ordering out at a restaurant as a kid. Slippery noodles were tossed in garlic cream, topped with grilled chicken and a generous sprinkling of parmesan cheese. Today I’ve reimagined the combination by taking my flavours to the Mediterranean. I’ve swapped that butter muddled cream for a smooth hummus sauce, and added a punch of flavour with the addition of sun-dried tomatoes, kalamata, and crumbled feta. Toss your grilled chicken with a herbaceous and nutty pesto and you’ll be twirling this dish for family and friends all summer long.
Creamy Mediterranean Hummus Pasta with Pesto Chicken
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic minced
- 1/2 large white onion sliced
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes sliced
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives pitted and sliced
- 2 cups spinach
- 1 cup hummus
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 3 chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup pesto
- 1/2 cup feta crumbled
- 375 grams fettuccini
- Barbecue your chicken breasts and then let cool in your kitchen in a medium bowl. Toss chicken breasts in pesto and slice when cooled.
- Cook fettuccini in a pot on medium heat until al dente. Strain and rest noodles in the sink.
- In a large frying pan add oil and cook garlic and onion on medium heat until golden brown, 3-5 minutes. Add sun-dried tomatoes, kalamata olives and spinach, stirring for 3 minutes until your spinach has wilted. Add hummus, lemon juice, white wine, and chicken stock, stirring slowly until fully incorporated and reduced, 5-7 minutes on medium/low heat.
- Once your sauce has thickened add cooked fettuccini to your pan and toss to fully incorporate. Serve noodles in individual bowls and top with slicked chicken breasts and crumbled feta.